The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
bronco0608
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,276

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Would you have hired any of these guys as your teams's HC? Some perspective on coaches.

A story of four coaches:

His first defense in Minnesota ranked eighth overall -- No. 1 in the league against the run but tied for last against the pass as the Vikings went 6-10. before he was hired as the head coach of.......

Would it make sense to hire a guy like that? Mike Tomlin

-------

The Jaguars finished 12th in total defense in 2007. Who coached the defense? Mike Smith
-------

Or how about a special teams coached who coached the secondary BEFORE coming head coach?

He spent this season as Philadelphia's secondary coach after making a name for himself working with special teams. He has never been a head coach!

John Harbaugh

---------------------------------------

How about a guy who had never been a head coach before and had a grand total of two games as a defensive coordinator before being named head coach: Raheem Morris

-----------------------------------

So as you can see, what in the heck do we know? If it was up to fans, great coaches like Raheem Morris, Mike Tomlin, Mike Smith, and John Harbaugh would have never become coaches in this league. Half of those guys weren't even successful coordinators before coming coaches.

The coach search will be interesting, to say the least. But I'm not going to automatically think a coach sucks if I haven't heard of him before.

You think the Ravens were doing backflips when they hired the secondary coach of Philly? No. But that is why you interview guys. Sometimes, all you need is a chance.
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
DarkHorse
RPM Racer
 
DarkHorse's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 4,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley
Default

That doesn't make the offseason fun for us fans tho - if we can't debate our great knowledge then bleh, i'll have to watch golf
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Yeah? So's your face.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Omar Epps is a great football coach.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
bronco0608
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,276

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
Yeah? So's your face.





On a friday night? That ain't right.
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
frerottenextelway
█████
 
frerottenextelway's Avatar
 
█████

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: █████
Posts: 8,442

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██
Default

I would fire everyone, move the team to Luxemburg, then name Beezer head coach.

Reestablish HFA by having opposing teams have jet lag.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post





On a friday night? That ain't right.
Not sure what I am looking at here...
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]
 
listopencil's Avatar
 
BOOM! Winner.

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The People's Republic Of California
Posts: 8,537

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO
Default

I prefer this, goes nicely on a Winter night w/ hot chocolate:

listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frerottenextelway View Post
I would fire everyone, move the team to Luxemburg, then name Beezer head coach.

Reestablish HFA by having opposing teams have jet lag.
We'd need an interim, Beezer qould have to deal with quarantine.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #10
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post
A story of four coaches:

His first defense in Minnesota ranked eighth overall -- No. 1 in the league against the run but tied for last against the pass as the Vikings went 6-10. before he was hired as the head coach of.......

Would it make sense to hire a guy like that? Mike Tomlin

-------

The Jaguars finished 12th in total defense in 2007. Who coached the defense? Mike Smith
-------

Or how about a special teams coached who coached the secondary BEFORE coming head coach?

He spent this season as Philadelphia's secondary coach after making a name for himself working with special teams. He has never been a head coach!

John Harbaugh

---------------------------------------

How about a guy who had never been a head coach before and had a grand total of two games as a defensive coordinator before being named head coach: Raheem Morris

-----------------------------------

So as you can see, what in the heck do we know? If it was up to fans, great coaches like Raheem Morris, Mike Tomlin, Mike Smith, and John Harbaugh would have never become coaches in this league. Half of those guys weren't even successful coordinators before coming coaches.

The coach search will be interesting, to say the least. But I'm not going to automatically think a coach sucks if I haven't heard of him before.

You think the Ravens were doing backflips when they hired the secondary coach of Philly? No. But that is why you interview guys. Sometimes, all you need is a chance.
Seems we should just go with Studs and be done with it then.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #11
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

For the case of Pitt and Balt, none of the changes they've made over the last 10 years have made a difference. Tomlin just took the reigns after Cowher hung it up. Balt was still the same team which had lead the league in D for so many years. TB was 10th overall D in 2008 and were 9th this year. TBs O was 18th in 2008 and 20th this year. So the team is just now getting back to as good as they were before he took over and they missed the playoffs.

ATL you could make an argument for but they were a winning franchise in the Vick days and between Vick's arrest, Mora's running off, then Petrino's running off... they can hardly be judged as their overall talent levels. They just had too many distractions.

The only thing Balt, ATL, and TB have added that they didn't have before is better QB play. Would you really attribute that to their HCs?
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #12
misturanderson
Ring of Famer
 
Why not?

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diago
Posts: 1,787

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
For the case of Pitt and Balt, none of the changes they've made over the last 10 years have made a difference. Tomlin just took the reigns after Cowher hung it up. Balt was still the same team which had lead the league in D for so many years. TB was 10th overall D in 2008 and were 9th this year. TBs O was 18th in 2008 and 20th this year. So the team is just now getting back to as good as they were before he took over and they missed the playoffs.

ATL you could make an argument for but they were a winning franchise in the Vick days and between Vick's arrest, Mora's running off, then Petrino's running off... they can hardly be judged as their overall talent levels. They just had too many distractions.

The only thing Balt, ATL, and TB have added that they didn't have before is better QB play. Would you really attribute that to their HCs?
This is where I'm at.

Smith is the only one of those guys that didn't take over a winning program that has proven himself to be a worthwhile hire. It also would have been hard not to improve the mess that he was left with, but he has continued the improvement to the point that I would love for a clone of him to be our coach.

Morris has led a decent turnaround over 2 years, but has far from proven himself to be a great HC. He still hasn't made the playoffs (though his division is pretty damn hard).

Tomlin and Harbaugh took over winners and continued what was working while changing very little. They are also supported by some of the best personnel departments and coaching staffs in the league. I'm not sure how many changes Harbaugh had to make to his coaching staff, but Tomlin didn't do anything of note except take over a well-oiled machine and keep it running.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #13
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,165
Default

Smith has done a great job in Atlanta but they also have a superb front office. That's where it all starts, at the top, and Denver doesn't appear to have figured that part out yet. Maybe Elway/Xanders will surprise but I'm more than a little concerned.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #14
CEH
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,042
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Smith has done a great job in Atlanta but they also have a superb front office. That's where it all starts, at the top, and Denver doesn't appear to have figured that part out yet. Maybe Elway/Xanders will surprise but I'm more than a little concerned.
Get the GMs from NE not the coaches. The coaches are failures. The GMs are the guys in BB inner circle figuring out what works and what doesn't

KC hit a homerun last draft . Built a nice core of young talented playmakers

Oh well
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,895
Default

We are ****ed
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #16
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,406
Default

One thing that they all have in common is a defense that doesn't give opposing QB's 10 seconds to throw the ball, and creates a turnover or two to keep the game from becoming a bloodletting....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #17
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,144

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post
A story of four coaches:

His first defense in Minnesota ranked eighth overall -- No. 1 in the league against the run but tied for last against the pass as the Vikings went 6-10. before he was hired as the head coach of.......

Would it make sense to hire a guy like that? Mike Tomlin

-------

The Jaguars finished 12th in total defense in 2007. Who coached the defense? Mike Smith
-------

Or how about a special teams coached who coached the secondary BEFORE coming head coach?

He spent this season as Philadelphia's secondary coach after making a name for himself working with special teams. He has never been a head coach!

John Harbaugh

---------------------------------------

How about a guy who had never been a head coach before and had a grand total of two games as a defensive coordinator before being named head coach: Raheem Morris

-----------------------------------

So as you can see, what in the heck do we know? If it was up to fans, great coaches like Raheem Morris, Mike Tomlin, Mike Smith, and John Harbaugh would have never become coaches in this league. Half of those guys weren't even successful coordinators before coming coaches.

The coach search will be interesting, to say the least. But I'm not going to automatically think a coach sucks if I haven't heard of him before.

You think the Ravens were doing backflips when they hired the secondary coach of Philly? No. But that is why you interview guys. Sometimes, all you need is a chance.
Great post...I've been thinking about the same things. It's because 99% of fans won't take any time to do anything except look at the won-lost record or something else that offers an immediate answer. Obviously that's a poor way to evaluate coaches, as it's a poor way to do almost anything.

Case in point...I"m about to post a thread on a guy I've been doing a little recon on, Rutgers coach Greg Schiano. He's not a big name, but when you did deeper you come away very impressed. I guarantee you, most posters will respond to this in a knee jerk, negative way immediately...just watch.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #18
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!
 
Jason in LA's Avatar
 
Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: LA
Posts: 11,880
Default

I'd say that it goes to show that head coaches and coordinators are different. Being great at one does not mean that a coach will be great at the other. As it was mentioned a few times, having a good front office is very helpful.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #19
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Smith has done a great job in Atlanta but they also have a superb front office. That's where it all starts, at the top, and Denver doesn't appear to have figured that part out yet. Maybe Elway/Xanders will surprise but I'm more than a little concerned.
And as is probably appropriate, Matt Ryan's home record is very often talked about. Give the Falcons an average home record and they fall back into the pack. I would say that HC is #3 in terms of changes that turned the franchise around with the FO and Ryan being #s 1 and 2.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #20
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer
 
Hercules Rockefeller's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 16,284

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams
Default

All 3 were considered future HCs, the issue was not "if", it was "when" and "where".

Someone like Dirk Freaking Koetter does not fall into the same category.

Spin it however you want, say that everyone under the Sun needs to be interviewed to find the right fit. Fine. But don't try to polish some of these turds, like Koetter, guys who shouldn't even be on everyone under the Sun list.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #21
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,279

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Smith has done a great job in Atlanta but they also have a superb front office. That's where it all starts, at the top, and Denver doesn't appear to have figured that part out yet. Maybe Elway/Xanders will surprise but I'm more than a little concerned.
Funny that you congratulate Atlanta's great FO, and then flagellate Xanders who was a key player in building the current Falcons roster.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #22
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,438

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Hiring a leader is a crapshoot. You can take a chance on a former underling (like Dennison, Fewell) and elevate him to the leadership position, or you can grab a proven leader like a John Fox.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #23
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Funny that you congratulate Atlanta's great FO, and then flagellate Xanders who was a key player in building the current Falcons roster.
Where/when have I "flagellated" Xanders?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #24
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Funny that you congratulate Atlanta's great FO, and then flagellate Xanders who was a key player in building the current Falcons roster.
When is the guy running the cap, overseeing the administrative staff and the IT dept a key player in acquiring talent?

Xanders as Drek has pointed out was middle management that was not in the decision process.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:54 AM.


Denver Broncos