The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
LittleFloyd
Seasoned Veteran

Hall of Fame

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast
Default Ryan Harris - UFA

Lost in all the Elway/Head Coach stuff, was a small paragragh in the Denver Post stating the Harris will not be signed and allowed to go the UFA route out of town.

Another rebuild of the o-line with no servicable RT on the roster.
LittleFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFloyd View Post
Lost in all the Elway/Head Coach stuff, was a small paragragh in the Denver Post stating the Harris will not be signed and allowed to go the UFA route out of town.

Another rebuild of the o-line with no servicable RT on the roster.
link?...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Hmm... how much was Harris being paid previously?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
meangene
Ring of Famer

We can't count on him being healthy and he hasn't played well because of injuries for two year now. We need better to protect Tebow's blind side.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Dan, you are correct in that Mike Shanahan envisioned Harris and Clady being his two tackles for quite some time in the team's zone-run scheme. Then Shanahan was fired and Josh McDaniels came in.

McDaniels preferred more power runs, more 1-on-1, point-of-attack blocking. Because of that, many of the linemen McDaniels inherited were not the kind of blockers he wanted.

Ben Hamilton was sent on his way, as was Casey Wiegmann — where, ironically, McDaniels' old boss, Charlie Weis, used Wiegmann at center for the Chiefs' No. 1 rushing attack this season.

Harris was not really what McDaniels was looking for, and McDaniels was consistently frustrated with his play. Harris then suffered a foot injury in 2009 that caused him to miss time.

Some of his teammates have since said privately that Harris tried to come back too soon. He reinjured the foot and also didn't play as well as he could have when he was in the lineup because of the injury.

It's difficult to play with confidence when there is pain, especially a foot injury.

The combination of those two things seemed to frustrate Harris and the coaches as 2009 drew to a close.

Then Harris injured his ankle in the preseason finale this past September and missed the first three games of the regular season. He returned for two games, and the Broncos, and McDaniels, didn't like what they were seeing, so they essentially benched him — rookie Zane Beadles played at right tackle for three games.

Beadles struggled on the outside, and Harris was put back in the lineup for the last seven weeks of the season. The team ran a little better over that period, but the Broncos believed Harris never returned to his best, and he did struggle at times.

Harris' contract is up, and he appears ready to move on. He is one of a group of players who have had their confidence chipped at over the last two years and seem ready for a new start somewhere else.

Wednesday, the Broncos sounded as though they wanted to move on as well, basically saying that Harris would be the only one of their starters in the offensive line whom they did not expect back for the 2011 season.

John Elway kept referring to Harris' departure as leaving a hole that would have to be addressed.

So, in short, I think both sides in this are looking for a change. Harris would certainly be a popular fit in Washington in Shanahan's offense or in Houston, where his former offensive line coach Rick Dennison is calling plays.

And the Broncos feel like they can get an upgrade as well.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

Read more: Q&A: Once a potential "bookend" tackle, Broncos' Harris headed out the door - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz1AMkqqPwD
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
We can't count on him being healthy and he hasn't played well because of injuries for two year now. We need better to protect Tebow's blind side.
this i agree with...

harris has struggled...
Old 01-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

they need to find a better player to protect Tims blind side
Old 01-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
Dan, you are correct in that Mike Shanahan envisioned Harris and Clady being his two tackles for quite some time in the team's zone-run scheme. Then Shanahan was fired and Josh McDaniels came in.

McDaniels preferred more power runs, more 1-on-1, point-of-attack blocking. Because of that, many of the linemen McDaniels inherited were not the kind of blockers he wanted.

Ben Hamilton was sent on his way, as was Casey Wiegmann — where, ironically, McDaniels' old boss, Charlie Weis, used Wiegmann at center for the Chiefs' No. 1 rushing attack this season.

Harris was not really what McDaniels was looking for, and McDaniels was consistently frustrated with his play. Harris then suffered a foot injury in 2009 that caused him to miss time.

Some of his teammates have since said privately that Harris tried to come back too soon. He reinjured the foot and also didn't play as well as he could have when he was in the lineup because of the injury.

It's difficult to play with confidence when there is pain, especially a foot injury.

The combination of those two things seemed to frustrate Harris and the coaches as 2009 drew to a close.

Then Harris injured his ankle in the preseason finale this past September and missed the first three games of the regular season. He returned for two games, and the Broncos, and McDaniels, didn't like what they were seeing, so they essentially benched him — rookie Zane Beadles played at right tackle for three games.

Beadles struggled on the outside, and Harris was put back in the lineup for the last seven weeks of the season. The team ran a little better over that period, but the Broncos believed Harris never returned to his best, and he did struggle at times.

Harris' contract is up, and he appears ready to move on. He is one of a group of players who have had their confidence chipped at over the last two years and seem ready for a new start somewhere else.

Wednesday, the Broncos sounded as though they wanted to move on as well, basically saying that Harris would be the only one of their starters in the offensive line whom they did not expect back for the 2011 season.

John Elway kept referring to Harris' departure as leaving a hole that would have to be addressed.

So, in short, I think both sides in this are looking for a change. Harris would certainly be a popular fit in Washington in Shanahan's offense or in Houston, where his former offensive line coach Rick Dennison is calling plays.

And the Broncos feel like they can get an upgrade as well.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

Read more: Q&A: Once a potential "bookend" tackle, Broncos' Harris headed out the door - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz1AMkqqPwD
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
so does this mean we're certain we're not going with ZBS?...even before hiring our next coach?....what if we get Dennison?...

i thought harris struggled because of not being a good fit in McD's system...
Old 01-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

see previous post
Old 01-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #10
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcver2ver3 View Post
so does this mean we're certain we're not going with ZBS?...even before hiring our next coach?....what if we get Dennison?...

i thought harris struggled because of not being a good fit in McD's system...
People need to stop putting such a heavy emphasis on linemen being only good at one scheme or another. Harris struggled because he injured his toe last season, and then his knee (or was it ankle?) this preseason.

Personally I'm a big Harris fan, dont' want to see him go.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #11
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
People need to stop putting such a heavy emphasis on linemen being only good at one scheme or another. Harris struggled because he injured his toe last season, and then his knee (or was it ankle?) this preseason.

Personally I'm a big Harris fan, dont' want to see him go.
well he definitely struggled this season, but i'm torn on him leaving...

i'm just not crazy about us having to fill another large hole...

we have enough holes to fill, i'd like o-line to be considered ok...i'm not sure what you're implying about people overlooking versatility in linemen, but i'm fairly certain that harris is not that guy...he didn't do great things once we switched away from zbs...

even with that said, i'd still be willing to give him a chance to get healthier and let the oline continue to mesh...esp if we bring back zbs...
Old 01-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #12
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Xanders...

TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #13
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

this thread is full of fail.
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #14
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:

we have enough holes to fill, i'd like o-line to be considered ok...i'm not sure what you're implying about people overlooking versatility in linemen, but i'm fairly certain that harris is not that guy...he didn't do great things once we switched away from zbs...

even with that said, i'd still be willing to give him a chance to get healthier and let the oline continue to mesh...esp if we bring back zbs...
Give this a read when you have some time (it's crazy long): http://onemanfootball.com/2010/10/06...ning-the-ball/

Especially about halfway through when he address a tweet from some "prosb4hoes" guy about "power systems". I learned a lot from it regarding running game schemes.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #15
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:

When healthy, in zone he is our best run blocker.
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #16
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Give this a read when you have some time (it's crazy long): http://onemanfootball.com/2010/10/06...ning-the-ball/

Especially about halfway through when he address a tweet from some "prosb4hoes" guy about "power systems". I learned a lot from it regarding running game schemes.
okay, thanks...
Old 01-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #17
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

This doesn't get me excited...there are holes all over the place and Harris is actually serviceable at the RT position....
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #18
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Sweet, we're going A-11 baby!
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #19
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Woohoo, now we need a blindside tackle on top of a new defense, RB and TE?
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #20
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Woohoo, now we need a blindside tackle on top of a new defense, RB and TE?
And center and full back.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #21
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I wish we could keep him for another season to see if he can make it through without having to sign him long-term. I've always liked his upside and when he's healthy, he's very good.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #22
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
I wish we could keep him for another season to see if he can make it through without having to sign him long-term. I've always liked his upside and when he's healthy, he's very good.
I was reading a blog a few weeks ago that suggesting franchising him for just that purpose. That's assuming Champ could be re-signed, and there is actually such a thing as a franchise tag.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #23
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
I was reading a blog a few weeks ago that suggesting franchising him for just that purpose. That's assuming Champ could be re-signed, and there is actually such a thing as a franchise tag.
There's gotta be a particular right tackle they're eyeballing in free agency. It's one thing to quietly look to upgrade certain positions in the offseason. It's quite another to so openly say that they are not going to resign one of their own before the offseason technically even starts. I just refuse to believe they're not targeting one or two guys that they are sure will be available. Otherwise it makes no sense to not stay silent or, if forced to comment, express some possibility that he'd be retained/tagged (again, if tags still exist in the new CBA).
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #24
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooptyHoops View Post
This doesn't get me excited...there are holes all over the place and Harris is actually serviceable at the RT position....
"Serviceable" is not at all what you want protecting your QB's back.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #25
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Damn does this mean they will be looking at a RT in the early draft now
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote