The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2011, 03:15 AM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Champ tells ESPN he wants to play Safety?

I know there has been forum chat about Champ moving to safety but I never heard anything official from Champ or anybody else. I'm not sure if it's true or not but I was looking at a few 2011 mock drafts and saw comments on WalterFootball that Champ has informed ESPN that he'd like to play safety to prolong his career.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

2) Denver Broncos: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
Champ Bailey, who is set to become a free agent this offseason, was recently quoted as saying that he's tired of all the change in Denver. It's unlikely that he'll be back. And if he is, Bailey told ESPN that he wants to convert to safety to prolong his NFL career.

Meanwhile, it's possible that Perrish Cox could be headed to prison for a few years in the wake of recent rape allegations. The Broncos obviously need help at corner.

Cornerbacks are seldom taken in the top three, but then again, we said the same thing about defensive tackles prior to the 2010 NFL Draft. Like Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy, Patrick Peterson is a special sort of talent that doesn't come around very often.

Last edited by ZONA; 01-07-2011 at 03:31 AM..
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 03:21 AM   #2
Agamemnon

I don't see Bowers as a possibility at all. It's either Peterson, Fairley, or trade down as far as I can tell. I really hope we trade down.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I don't see Bowers as a possibility at all. It's either Peterson, Fairley, or trade down as far as I can tell. I really hope we trade down.
Fair enough - but this thread is about Champ moving to safety.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:39 AM   #4
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Fair enough - but this thread is about Champ moving to safety.
Hey you put that other stuff in as well.

As far as Champ moving to safety, I'm not so sure I'm all that wild about the idea. Not that he wouldn't be able to dominate at the position when healthy, I just wonder if he can stay healthy taking the extra beating (even a coverage safety has to play the run more than a corner).

It's looking more and more like we're going to need to target a corner in the first few rounds no matter what.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:46 AM   #5
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

I don't think this is anything really new, I mean it's been speculated for over a year that Champ would eventually switch to safety. That doesn't mean that he's going to do so this season.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:46 AM   #6
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

This is pretty old news. Champ said a while back he'd be going safety in a few years. He wants a Charles Woodson contract - 5 years $55 million. He'll probably switch to safety around age 35 to 36.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:11 AM   #7
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Trade down and take Dareus.
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:30 AM   #8
shovelpass#30
Rookie

Elvis is alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Hey you put that other stuff in as well.

As far as Champ moving to safety, I'm not so sure I'm all that wild about the idea. Not that he wouldn't be able to dominate at the position when healthy, I just wonder if he can stay healthy taking the extra beating (even a coverage safety has to play the run more than a corner).
True, but Champ has shown that he can play the run as well as any other corner in the league (and most of our LBs) over the last few years...
shovelpass#30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:35 AM   #9
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Corners move to safety when they lose their speed, but the thing about champ is he always had great speed so he can lose a step or two and still play the position. He'll move to safety when he woudl otherwise retire as a corner, and i don't think he's there yet.

I imagine that hell move to free safety as opposed to strong and won't be asked to do so much run support, but champ has never shied away from contact anyway. If you're only talking about adding a year or maybe two on to his career then the extra contact isn't such a problem, although with any player in their 30's sometime injuries force them to retire before they want to so you never know....but i don't think he's planning to play the next 5 years at safety or anything like that
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:34 AM   #10
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
This is pretty old news. Champ said a while back he'd be going safety in a few years. He wants a Charles Woodson contract - 5 years $55 million. He'll probably switch to safety around age 35 to 36.
The move to safety was written into the last contract before it was pulled.
Not earth shattering news . I've said it before that one reason the contract was pulled to be reevalulated was that there as never been a 35/36 DB making CHamp's money

The proposed contract was something like 4 year 40-42 MM contract

Just said last night he may be more inclined to sign now that Elway is in the fold and had always wanted to end his career here
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #11
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
I don't think this is anything really new, I mean it's been speculated for over a year that Champ would eventually switch to safety. That doesn't mean that he's going to do so this season.
The speculation about that started at least two years ago (to the day):

http://broncosfreaks.com/index.php/2...afety-in-2009/

Champs comments about a Woodson-like transition were reported back in March of 2010.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=163788

Champ's comments to the ESPN about playing safety were made back in June:

http://www.mkrob.com/broncos-cb-cham...y-free-safety/
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #12
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I don't care how we do it, but I want to see Camp retire as a Bronco!
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #13
NEBronco
Just Drafted

I totally agree! I dont care how it happens I just want Champ to retire a Bronco. The guy is a class act, and I love the way he plays the game. Before he came to Denver I didnt really know much about him, but have been so impressed with the way he plays the run game. I hope he retires a Bronco!
NEBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #14
Denver724
Ring of Famer

I think people need to remember one player that may draw interest. AJ Green could be a target of some teams looking to move up.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #15
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

I hope very much that Champ stays here.

Great player, veteran leadership. Has his priorities straight and has never had any kind of off-the-field problem.

I do think he slipped a bit this year - especially early in the season - but then rebounded. Even so, he's solid at CB and could indeed extend his career a year or two with a move to free safety.

I hope we can afford him.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #16
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

It would be nice have a safety with coverage skills if we resign him. But I think the pick will either be Farley, Peterson, dareus, or bowers depending on free agency and the
combine.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #17
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Pick Petersen, move Champ to Safety.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #18
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

If Champ moves to safety, that would make me very happy. I might move to Russia, in order to have my way with Oleg's leftovers...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #19
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

If we do indeed take Peterson and Champ does decide to stay here, it's almost a sure bet he'd move to safety. You'd still want to keep Goodman as the other corner. The last few weeks when he was healthy, he played pretty good so I think he's still got enough to start on the other side. As for the other safety, well it's a toss up between McBath and Dawkins. I'd rate those 2 guys about the same right now. Some mock drafts have us taking the kid from UCLA in the 2nd and have him rated as the best safety in the drat, so that would be interesting.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #20
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
If we do indeed take Peterson and Champ does decide to stay here, it's almost a sure bet he'd move to safety. You'd still want to keep Goodman as the other corner. The last few weeks when he was healthy, he played pretty good so I think he's still got enough to start on the other side. As for the other safety, well it's a toss up between McBath and Dawkins. I'd rate those 2 guys about the same right now. Some mock drafts have us taking the kid from UCLA in the 2nd and have him rated as the best safety in the drat, so that would be interesting.
Great....CB in first, safety in the second.....another year of ignoring the DLine with their quality picks. Sad part is, I can see this happening.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #21
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
If we take Peterson at no. 2 overall, I'll be pretty pissed if we don't address front seven with the 2nd rounders.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #22
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Great....CB in first, safety in the second.....another year of ignoring the DLine with their quality picks. Sad part is, I can see this happening.
If Champ leaves and Cox is headed to jail, I could definitely see this happening. All of a sudden, your secondary would quickly become the weak link on the team and they would have to address it fast.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #23
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
If Champ leaves and Cox is headed to jail, I could definitely see this happening. All of a sudden, your secondary would quickly become the weak link on the team and they would have to address it fast.
But a safety? They just invested in a bunch of young safeties. Give em time or, if they really suck, go to FA for short money. DLine is a weakness now and has been for years and is not as easily "fixed" via FA or trades. You've got to draft them and draft them fairly high. Now is the time to strike. There is real quality in the mid first through second round and we can't waste all our prime picks on other areas. We've done that for far too long and look where it's gotten us.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #24
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Character issues could drop McDaniel to the late 2d or 3rd.

see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpAk1...eature=related

see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSIk-...eature=related
Old 01-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #25
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

The only thing that appears loud and clear above all the speculation is that Champ is tired of being in the Denver revolving door defense and wants a real opportunity for a championship ring before he retires. Denver has nothing to attract Champ to stay. Another defensive coordinator (probably), a complete need to restock the defense to make the team competitive (2 - 3 yrs), a team that withdrew a signable contract and a new QB to come up to speed to a championship level.

If I were Champ, I would say "I love you Denver and my time there but I need to move on to reach my goals before the sun sets" Given what I believe motivates a person like Champ, I don't think there is difference in money that would keep him in Denver at this point.

Where CB has been somewhat a position of strength with Champ. The situation with Cox will probably become a real need like the DL. Our defensive depth is not good and this is depressing. I don't think we look that attractive to many quality head coaching candidates.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote