The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
KevinJames
Peyton Taking us to SB 13
 
KevinJames's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,046
Default Ryan Mallett

He declared.

But why is he being touted as a top 15 pick?

terrible footwork accuracy issues, long throwing motion, not the smartest guy on the field.

so he has mechanics issues.....so did Tim Tebow I don't get it. Why does Tebow get 2nd 3rd round projections but Ryan doesn't?
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Because he has a big arm and he's not Tim Tebow.

That said, I'll be very surprised if he's actually drafted in the 1st round.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,087

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
How does a program like Michigan have a backup QB that couldn't hit Charlie Weiss in the ass at 20 yds... This guy can throw hard but he is terrible. You'd think someone with a smidgeon of talent would be more willing to be the backup at Michigan than the starter at Northwestern Utah Community College... That's where this guy belongs. This is the worst I think I've seen Michigan playing in years. Possibly ever
I've been questioning the hype on that fool since he first stepped on the field for Michigan. I thought he sucked and it sounds like he hasn't gotten any better.

Must be 'cause he can throw it over them mountains.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
yerner
Ring of Famer
 
yerner's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charlottesville VA
Posts: 3,858
Default

Mallet is also too tall. Apparently there has never been a successful qb above 6'6. I don't know if that means anything, but I don't think it's just a coincidence.

That said, Mallett can really throw the ball while Tebow cannot.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer
 
NFLBRONCO's Avatar
 
Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lafayette Colorado
Posts: 7,879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
Mallet is also too tall. Apparently there has never been a successful qb above 6'6. I don't know if that means anything, but I don't think it's just a coincidence.

That said, Mallett can really throw the ball while Tebow cannot.

Isn't Peyton 6'6 like Mallett?

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 01-07-2011 at 12:25 AM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
Mallet is also too tall. Apparently there has never been a successful qb above 6'6. I don't know if that means anything, but I don't think it's just a coincidence.

That said, Mallett can really throw the ball while Tebow cannot.
Mallett:

2007 MICH 61 141 43.3 892 6.3 7 97 5 105.69
2009 ARK 225 403 55.8 3627 9.0 30 83 7 152.52
2010 ARK 266 411 64.7 3869 9.4 32 89 12 163.65

Tebow:

2006 FLA 22 33 66.7 358 10.8 5 55 1 201.73
2007 FLA 234 350 66.9 3286 9.4 32 66 6 172.47
2008 FLA 192 298 64.4 2746 9.2 30 70 4 172.37
2009 FLA 213 314 67.8 2895 9.2 21 80 5 164.17

I dunno...seems Tebow was a bit more consistent in college.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:27 AM   #7
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
That said, Mallett can really throw the ball while Tebow cannot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:31 AM   #8
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,135

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Because he has a big arm and he's not Tim Tebow.

That said, I'll be very surprised if he's actually drafted in the 1st round.
He's got probably the best arm in the colllege game and you can't coach 6'7". Mallet will go top 10 I think...problems or not.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:40 AM   #9
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,087

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
He's got probably the best arm in the colllege game and you can't coach 6'7". Mallet will go top 10 I think...problems or not.
You say best, you mean just strongest?
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:41 AM   #10
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
He's got probably the best arm in the colllege game and you can't coach 6'7". Mallet will go top 10 I think...problems or not.
The problem is that he's a terribly stupid quarterback who is rather inaccurate. But, you're right, someone may well pick him just because he has a strong arm. There isn't any other reason to draft him though, and that team is probably going to regret it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:43 AM   #11
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
Isn't Peyton 6'6 like Mallett?
Peyton is 6'5". Mallett is 6'7".
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:43 AM   #12
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,087

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
The problem is that he's a terribly stupid quarterback who is rather inaccurate. But, you're right, someone may well pick him just because he has a strong arm. There isn't any other reason to draft him though, and that team is probably going to regret it.
Is there a Mallet-Russell comparison here or are they different?

Just think if they're similar, coaches may shy a bit more after the trainwreck that was Jamarcus.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:46 AM   #13
schaaf
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I was very unimpressed watching Mallet that last game.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:48 AM   #14
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Is there a Mallet-Russell comparison here or are they different?

Just think if they're similar, coaches may shy a bit more after the trainwreck that was Jamarcus.
Not so sure about that. I tend to see him as a taller, less accurate, and less athletic Cutler honestly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:57 AM   #15
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 
No avatar is the new avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,495

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy
Default

Joe Flacco is 6'6"
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:01 AM   #16
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,135

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
You say best, you mean just strongest?
Yeah...he's got a real canon. With all the team's that need QB's, someone is going to either take him high or trade up for him.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #17
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,135

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
The problem is that he's a terribly stupid quarterback who is rather inaccurate. But, you're right, someone may well pick him just because he has a strong arm. There isn't any other reason to draft him though, and that team is probably going to regret it.
He completed almost 65% of his passes this year, so I wouldn't call him inaccurate. I don't know if he's stupid or not, but I've watched him whenever I had a chance and he's definitely got NFL talent.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #18
NUB
Just Crafted
 
NUB's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,531

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I'd take him over Locker, but all the QBs this draft have bust written all over them, IMO.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:54 AM   #19
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
At Unbelievers

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,907

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Because Tim Tebow gets 1000x the scrutiny ANY OTHER PLAYER EVER has gotten.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:18 AM   #20
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Because Tim Tebow gets 1000x the scrutiny ANY OTHER PLAYER EVER has gotten.
Pretty much. Beyond that, people actually make up flaws in his game, trying to undermine him.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:39 AM   #21
KevinJames
Peyton Taking us to SB 13
 
KevinJames's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,046
Default

Hes like a combo of Jamarcus and Cutler
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:40 AM   #22
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
Hes like a combo of Jamarcus and Cutler
Yuck...
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:47 AM   #23
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Mallet has he strongest arm in either in College or Pros, right now. When he sets his feet he has the ability to throw the ball better then anyone I have ever seen. Laugh all you want but there is no question about arm strength or accuracy. The kid can throw on frozen rope.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:11 AM   #24
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
He declared.

But why is he being touted as a top 15 pick?

terrible footwork accuracy issues, long throwing motion, not the smartest guy on the field.

so he has mechanics issues.....so did Tim Tebow I don't get it. Why does Tebow get 2nd 3rd round projections but Ryan doesn't?
Same reason people think Cutler is anything more than a middle of the road QB five years into his NFL career or why Jeff George continued to get opportunities.

They all got that fastball scouts can jerk off to.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:19 AM   #25
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Pretty much. Beyond that, people actually make up flaws in his game, trying to undermine him.
Just curious what you think the cause for this is. Assuming you actually believe that there's some conspiracy of people out there trying to "undermine" Tim Tebow, who they spent four years slurping in college as the greatest college player ever.

Just wondering. Doesn't seem to actually make any sense.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Martindale and the Rex/Rob Ryan Connection OCBronco Orange Mane Central Discussion 14 01-30-2010 10:52 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:38 AM.


Denver Broncos