The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default Gary Patterson?

Since we're talking about a college guy getting this job (though it looks like he won't after all), I figured I'd throw Garry Patterson's name out there. He's probably been the most impactful college coach in America the last decade in terms of him being the main reason for his team's success, and he's done it at a school that has literally no reason to be able to compete at the level they're at.

On the other side of the coin, he's not been interested in the NFL before now and probably still isn't. He says he likes TCU and Fort Worth...I can't imagine why but he does. Still...isn't he worth a call? If he's ever going to make the jump, he'll probably never be more ready. If he stays at TCU much longer, he'll stamp himself permenantly as a college coach. That may be what he wants...I don't know. In any case...Elway ought to reach out and at least talk to the guy I think.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I concur. Dude is very impressive, worth a call.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I don't care enough about TCU to watch them enough to have an opinion one way or the other if his systems would translate to the NFL. Some coaches are extremely successful in college but just don't translate well into the NFL for that reason.

Anyone follow TCU enough to have a detailed opinion?
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Oh hell no.
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I don't care enough about TCU to watch them enough to have an opinion one way or the other if his systems would translate to the NFL. Some coaches are extremely successful in college but just don't translate well into the NFL for that reason.

kcnative is an actual horned frog...maybe he knows.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
tesnyde
Paradigm Coordinator

Keepit nuttier than a squirrel turd

Great coach. Im a TCU season tix holder and got my mba and doctorate (BA from CSU). He has done great job growing the program. He's an awesome talent evaluator and knows defence. TCU treats him very well, its rebuilding its stadium, and TCU has become the school for college football in Texas at this time. Its drawing interest from a lot of talented kids. His salary is 2.5m. I think Michigan, rumored to be after him would have a better shot. It'd suck to see him at Michigan and bitter sweet with the Broncos. By the way, Im a Durango native and will say Ft Worth isnt that bad and getting better. Go Frogs.

Last edited by tesnyde; 01-06-2011 at 10:14 AM..
tesnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesnyde View Post
Great coach. Im a TCU season tix holder and got my mba and doctorate (BA from CSU). He has done great job growing the program. He's an awesome talent evaluator and knows defence. TCU treats him very well, its rebuilding its stadium, and TCU has become the school for college football in Texas at this time. Its drawing interest from a lot of talented kids. His salary is 2.5m. I think Michigan, rumored to be after him would have better shot. I'd suck to see him at Michigan and bitter sweet with the Broncos. By the way, Im a Durango native and will say Ft Worth isnt that bad and getting better. Go Frogs.
But do you think it would translate?

After all, Nick Saban "knows defense" like no other at the collegiate level and he can't coach the pros.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:

Why do fans so often assume that a football coach has to be permenantly joined at the hip to whatever offensive system he happens to employ currently? We don't this like this about other professions do we?

Urban Meyer says that if a coach thinks he can't run his offense because he doesn't hae the right personnel, then that coach should be fired because the job of the coach is to fit the strategy to the player's talents, not the reverse. In other words, who cares whether his "systems" would "translate" to the NFL? Here's what kind of "system" translates to the NFL...it's called "hard work". On top of this, the guy's no dummy, he's got a masters in education administration and he'd have no problem adjusting to whatever he needed to do in the NFL. I think he'd also surround himself with some NFL experienced assistants.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #9
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I looked up his career and I'd have to say "no". College coaches that have zero experience even as a position coach at the NFL level usually don't have the experience necessary to succeed.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesnyde View Post
Great coach. Im a TCU season tix holder and got my mba and doctorate (BA from CSU). He has done great job growing the program. He's an awesome talent evaluator and knows defence. TCU treats him very well, its rebuilding its stadium, and TCU has become the school for college football in Texas at this time. Its drawing interest from a lot of talented kids. His salary is 2.5m. I think Michigan, rumored to be after him would have better shot. I'd suck to see him at Michigan and bitter sweet with the Broncos. By the way, Im a Durango native and will say Ft Worth isnt that bad and getting better. Go Frogs.
And you were doing so well...
Old 01-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Why do fans so often assume that a football coach has to be permenantly joined at the hip to whatever offensive system he happens to employ currently? We don't this like this about other professions do we?

Urban Meyer says that if a coach thinks he can't run his offense because he doesn't hae the right personnel, then that coach should be fired because the job of the coach is to fit the strategy to the player's talents, not the reverse. In other words, who cares whether his "systems" would "translate" to the NFL? Here's what kind of "system" translates to the NFL...it's called "hard work". On top of this, the guy's no dummy, he's got a masters in education administration and he'd have no problem adjusting to whatever he needed to do in the NFL. I think he'd also surround himself with some NFL experienced assistants.
I agree with this, but coaches with that kind of versatility are few and far between.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #12
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
I looked up his career and I'd have to say "no". College coaches that have zero experience even as a position coach at the NFL level usually don't have the experience necessary to succeed.
I think this guy's 28 years as a coach and 10 as a major college head coach with a documented history of great success trumps Harbaugh's four years at Stanford and one great season.

As I noted before, I think he'd surround himself with NFL assistants. There is no axioim that says college coaches can't succeed in the NFL, but obviously it takes a special coach to adjust.

Why is Harbaugh the hot ticket when this guy's got a far more impressive record? Is two years with crazy Al really worth that much?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
I agree with this, but coaches with that kind of versatility are few and far between.
I don't think that's true at all. If you look at most college coachs, they've usually coached over time at numerous places, and probably learned multiple systems. You hear this expressed all the time by NFL coaches talking about how they took something from this place and something else from that place...it's all about things like their work ethic, their ability to relate to players and motivate them, being good judges of talent, etc...offensive and defensive systems are nothing but X's and O's...that can be learned and re-learned at will by any coach who devotes time to it just like a player has to devote time to learning a playbook. I think you choose a coach based on personal work history, results and whether you perceive him as a guy who is motivated enough to do what it takes to compete in the NFL....and what system he uses is far and away less important.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #14
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
I think this guy's 28 years as a coach and 10 as a major college head coach with a documented history of great success trumps Harbaugh's four years at Stanford and one great season.

As I noted before, I think he'd surround himself with NFL assistants. There is no axioim that says college coaches can't succeed in the NFL, but obviously it takes a special coach to adjust.

Why is Harbaugh the hot ticket when this guy's got a far more impressive record? Is two years with crazy Al really worth that much?
I think you're not considering how different the game is from college to pro.

...and I'm not talking just athletically and schematically. I'm talking organizationally, working with professionals instead of pros, managing practices and meetings, etc.

I'm not the biggest Harbaugh guy, but he has 2 years of NFL coaching experience along with a 14 year playing career versus this guy's 0.

Does that mean this couldn't succeed? Absolutely not. But a year or two coaching at the NFL level would do a lot more to make him a viable candidate.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #15
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

The guy who said he was a Horned Frog season ticket holder could confirm this, but I think Patterson came to TCU on the defensive side of the ball. I think he's been innovative in the college game with the 4-2-5 and the 3-3-5, but I'm not 100 percent sure on that.

If he moved to the pros, I'm sure he'd hire a offensive guy to run whatever system that guy wanted to run. I think he's run about three different types of offenses, all the way from the flexbone to the spread at TCU.
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #16
bronco610
OLD FART

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Have a friend that is a proffesor at TCU and tutors many of the athletes in the program. He is very close to the powers that be in the athletic department and Gary Patterson isnt going anywhere.
bronco610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #17
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
I think you're not considering how different the game is from college to pro.

...and I'm not talking just athletically and schematically. I'm talking organizationally, working with professionals instead of pros, managing practices and meetings, etc.

I'm not the biggest Harbaugh guy, but he has 2 years of NFL coaching experience along with a 14 year playing career versus this guy's 0.

Does that mean this couldn't succeed? Absolutely not. But a year or two coaching at the NFL level would do a lot more to make him a viable candidate.
First of all, NFL playing experience doesn't translate to success any better than college coaching does. If it did, the Niners wouldn't be coach hunting. Second, this idea that the two games, college and pro, are so dramatically different that they are entirely different games...is hogwash. Most NFL coaches have coached in college first. It's still BASICALLY THE SAME GAME. They block, tackle, pass, catch, run pass routes, etc...the same way. Yes the pro game has more complicated offensive and defensive schemes...so what? Have you ever had to learn a new piece of software on your job? The other things you list...organizational stuff like managing practices and meetings...what difference does that make? If you can manage/organize a meeting or practice in college there's no reason you can't do that in the NFL...none what so ever. I'd be more interested in whether a coach can relate to the players at both levels rather than whether he's managed meetings or run practices in the NFL.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #18
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco610 View Post
Have a friend that is a proffesor at TCU and tutors many of the athletes in the program. He is very close to the powers that be in the athletic department and Gary Patterson isnt going anywhere.
That's probably true. He's also said it would take a very special situation, meaning he's left the door open.

I'm just saying Elway ought to at least knock on it.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #19
FantomForce
Long live the Mane!

The Incredible BULK!

NO I do not want my NFL team to run the 4-2-5 thank you
FantomForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #20
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
He says he likes TCU and Fort Worth...I can't imagine why but he does.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #21
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
First of all, NFL playing experience doesn't translate to success any better than college coaching does. If it did, the Niners wouldn't be coach hunting. Second, this idea that the two games, college and pro, are so dramatically different that they are entirely different games...is hogwash. Most NFL coaches have coached in college first. It's still BASICALLY THE SAME GAME. They block, tackle, pass, catch, run pass routes, etc...the same way. Yes the pro game has more complicated offensive and defensive schemes...so what? Have you ever had to learn a new piece of software on your job? The other things you list...organizational stuff like managing practices and meetings...what difference does that make? If you can manage/organize a meeting or practice in college there's no reason you can't do that in the NFL...none what so ever. I'd be more interested in whether a coach can relate to the players at both levels rather than whether he's managed meetings or run practices in the NFL.
Wait... when did I call Singletary a good coach?

And are you saying you'd rather have a coach learning on the job instead of being able to hit the ground running?

We just had a guy with NFL experience who still fell flat on his face. It's a ridiculously difficult job, why you'd want to throw more obstacles into the equation is beyond me. If he WANTED to coach the pros then he'd be looking for a coordinator job to make that transition... sorry, that's just how that works.

The last time I can think of that someone dove into the NFL headfirst without any prior experience as a big name collegiate coach was Steve Spurrier... do you have any successful examples?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #22
Obushma
Ring of Famer

Bring your lunch pail

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zane Beadles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecklenburg77 View Post
NO I do not want my NFL team to run the 4-2-5 thank you
Was just going to bring this up, I don't think his 4-2-5 philosophy would translate well as a every down defense in the NFL.
Obushma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #23
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThyNatural View Post
Was just going to bring this up, I don't think his 4-2-5 philosophy would translate well as a every down defense in the NFL.
60%+ of NFL snaps are playing in the nickle whether it's a 4-2-5 or a 3-3-5 anyways
Old 01-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #24
Obushma
Ring of Famer

Bring your lunch pail

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zane Beadles

Quote:
60%+ of NFL snaps are playing in the nickle whether it's a 4-2-5 or a 3-3-5 anyways
100% of TCU's snaps come out of the 4-2-5. You ready to retool the whole defense?
Obushma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #25
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThyNatural View Post
100% of TCU's snaps come out of the 4-2-5. You ready to retool the whole defense?
1. I don't want the guy.

2. The defense definitely needs to be retooled.

3. We're probably better off in a 4-2-5