The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2011, 03:07 AM   #1
vanbrugh
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Pat Bowlen Yesterday

Watching the press conference yesterday it struck me how old Pat has become and how he seems to have become almost a shell of his former great self. It seemed to me that he stumbled through his few words and even seemed to lose his train of thought a couple of times. Heck someone pointed out on here that he seemed to be drooling while giving his speech and i'm not sure that wasn't the truth. I know people on here often joke about the gutless drunk stuff but is that what has caused this deterioration or is there something else responsible?
vanbrugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2011, 03:10 AM   #2
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Maybe him turning 67 next month has a little to do with it
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:22 AM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

id say its pretty short sighted to assume anything off of a brief presser intro...but we are all MDs here so have at it
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:26 AM   #4
vanbrugh
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Maybe it is short sighted but i know what my eyes are telling me and it kinda makes me feel sad to see the decline.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:29 AM   #5
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

hes almost 70 years old and is a terrible public speaker. doesnt change what kind of person he is or his vision with the team, or the fact that, unlike some other owners, his #1 goal is winning and he will go through every expense to make sure that will happen. there is a reason his offseason goal appears to be reconnect with fanbase, he cares about the fans and badly wants to win for them, for his team and for himself. give the guy a break!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:40 AM   #6
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

I watched the press conference several times just to observe if any of the rumors about Pat's decline had any bearing in reality.

Nothing from the press conference seemed to indicate anything that suggests that Pat is ill or sick. While he may have medical problems that are not public knowledge, I don't understand where everyone gets this "shell of his former self" and "quite visibly ill and in decline" stuff. At least from his press conference yesterday, it wasn't remotely so.

I think its people's imagination working overtime.
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:43 AM   #7
Agamemnon

He's getting older. It wouldn't surprise me if he is suffering from some kind of mental deterioration. It happens to many people as they approach 70. It's certainly not to the point that he appears completely senile or anything.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:53 AM   #8
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbloke View Post
I watched the press conference several times just to observe if any of the rumors about Pat's decline had any bearing in reality.

Nothing from the press conference seemed to indicate anything that suggests that Pat is ill or sick. While he may have medical problems that are not public knowledge, I don't understand where everyone gets this "shell of his former self" and "quite visibly ill and in decline" stuff. At least from his press conference yesterday, it wasn't remotely so.

Thank you.....this BS has been running on this board for some time.
Sad to think people just make stuff like that up and run with it........
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:22 AM   #9
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Because he's such a pimp, people always forget what a horrible public speaker Mr Bowlen is.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #10
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
hes almost 70 years old and is a terrible public speaker. doesnt change what kind of person he is or his vision with the team, or the fact that, unlike some other owners, his #1 goal is winning and he will go through every expense to make sure that will happen. there is a reason his offseason goal appears to be reconnect with fanbase, he cares about the fans and badly wants to win for them, for his team and for himself. give the guy a break!
I think he brought Elway in because he knows he is slipping and trusts John to protect his and the Broncos interests. Hopefully Elway will know what is in the best interest of the Broncos. It all so says something about Joe Ellis IMO.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:43 AM   #11
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

He actually appeared very emotional to me, almost on the verge of tears in two moments. John is like a son to him, I would imagine.
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #12
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I think he brought Elway in because he knows he is slipping and trusts John to protect his and the Broncos interests. Hopefully Elway will know what is in the best interest of the Broncos. It all so says something about Joe Ellis IMO.
I absolutely agree. You don't start forgetting major life events in your late 60's. That is not normal.
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #13
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbrugh View Post
Watching the press conference yesterday it struck me how old Pat has become and how he seems to have become almost a shell of his former great self. It seemed to me that he stumbled through his few words and even seemed to lose his train of thought a couple of times. Heck someone pointed out on here that he seemed to be drooling while giving his speech and i'm not sure that wasn't the truth. I know people on here often joke about the gutless drunk stuff but is that what has caused this deterioration or is there something else responsible?
Oh boy.
Here we go.
Another internet rumor is born...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:01 AM   #14
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
I absolutely agree. You don't start forgetting major life events in your late 60's. That is not normal.
cant believe people are still caught up on his joke about forgetting the super bowl seasons. IT WAS A JOKE! he was saying its been a long time since this team was a real SB contender
Old 01-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #15
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
cant believe people are still caught up on his joke about forgetting the super bowl seasons. IT WAS A JOKE! he was saying its been a long time since this team was a real SB contender
It's totally normal for a 67 year old to openly admit to short term memory loss as well.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #16
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
It's totally normal for a 67 year old to openly admit to short term memory loss as well.
lets see a quote where he openly admitted to it, and not in a joking manner.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #17
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Again, that comment was tongue in cheek. I dont know why people took it so friggin literally
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #18
JJG
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbloke View Post

people see what they want to see.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #19
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Again, that comment was tongue in cheek. I dont know why people took it so friggin literally
So there is nothing to be concerned about. Despite every single indicator pointing to an obvious problem, and the words quoted by Woody Paige "I'm experiencing short term memory loss." The fact that not a word was uttered from Bowlen during the McD firing and interim transition until his showing yesterday. Whatever dude.... totally normal behavior.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #20
vanbrugh
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

To me it looked like he was trailing off while speaking and quite noticably a couple of times he lost what he was saying. This may be normal for a 67 year old but is a marked contrast to how i remember him being.

What is worrying is drooling while giving these speeches although i guess this could be nerves.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #21
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbrugh View Post
To me it looked like he was trailing off while speaking and quite noticably a couple of times he lost what he was saying. This may be normal for a 67 year old but is a marked contrast to how i remember him being.

What is worrying is drooling while giving these speeches although i guess this could be nerves.
Anxiety does not cause salivation. The autonomic nervous system does not work that way. I read that in a book somewhere.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #22
Denver Crush
THC Content Analyst

Bad Moon Rising

alzheimers
Denver Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #23
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Most people don't look that off when they're 70. 70 is the new 60.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #24
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

He can barely talk. It's sad.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #25
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Everyone ages so differently it is hard to say that anything is specifically because of their numerical age. Maybe 70 for pat is like 90 for other folks. Hell my partner is 32 years older than me and at 64 stilll looks like his 50, runs 5 miles a day and doesn't miss a thing mentally. However, my mother in law is 50, and has the health and mind of a 80 year old, we all age differently and perhaps Pat is at that point in time where he is having health problems.

I hope you all have respect for whatever it is may be causing any health or mental issues, because you will all be there some day.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote