The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default Harbaugh to the Dolphins looking incredibly unlikely. I bet he won't go there. Never ever ever.

He'll never go there.

Last edited by Dagmar; 01-06-2011 at 08:06 PM..
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

$7 mil/year..that's a lot.
I don't think we can compete
go_broncos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

I think the hype wagon is helping Mr Harbaugh out a tremendous amount. He's probably going to be a very good coach... but 7 million for a guy with next to no NFL experience?

I'd say he's played his cards very well.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I think the hype wagon is helping Mr Harbaugh out a tremendous amount. He's probably going to be a very good coach... but 7 million for a guy with next to no NFL experience?

I'd say his agent played his cards very well.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

id be 100% fine with rivera or mularkey, but rivera has no previous HC experience...
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
Drek
Ring of Famer

Everything is falling in line for the Mularkey/Nolan duo. Very nice.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Wait, what??
Old 01-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
Mjolnir

Quote:
Do you really think that Nolan would come back after his "departure" from the team last year?

Did his leaving have everything to do with McDaniels?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
ro_50
Ring of Famer

I like Harbaugh but for that much money, he better a few playoff games within three years.

I would not mind Mularkey.
ro_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
Wait, what??
The Denver Broncos dream coaching scenario.

We bring in Mularkey as HC, he brings Musgrave along to be the OC. Nolan is out since with Harbaugh or Cowher (both of Miami's big name targets) Nolan is likely being replaced by one of "their" guys. Where better for him to catch on than the defense he helped realign just a season ago with many of the same pieces he pursued still here?

Once Nolan is back in the fold its just a small step from there for him to bring his buddy Sporano with him as an "Assistant HC - Offensive Line" to coach up our OL. With Mularkey's connections from his Pittsburgh days and Nolan's connections as an established 3-4 DC we could go out and put together one hell of a staff behind that backbone to help them succeed.

Maybe bring in Singletary as Asst. HC - LBs while we're at it. Staff the team with overqualified, competent men who share a common work ethic and desire to succeed. Sure Sporano and Singletary would likely be jumping ship in just a few seasons, but a few seasons of that kind of leadership is what this team adrift needs.

Its a fantasy, but it a fantasy that the stars seem to be aligning to make at least possible.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
Do you really think that Nolan would come back after his "departure" from the team last year?

Did his leaving have everything to do with McDaniels?
His departure seems to have been for three reasons:

1. got to work with his personal friend, Sporano, in Miami.

2. got more defensive autonomy in Miami.

3. didn't get along well with McDaniels personally.

If Sporano is fired then 1 and 2 are out the window. 3 already is. If Nolan wants to keep working in the league where better than the team who's defense he started to turn around and convert to his scheme in '09? He'd effectively be a year ahead of the game compared to anywhere else.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #12
OrangeSe7en

Ill pass on Mularkey.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #13
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
His departure seems to have been for three reasons:

1. got to work with his personal friend, Sporano, in Miami.

2. got more defensive autonomy in Miami.

3. didn't get along well with McDaniels personally.

If Sporano is fired then 1 and 2 are out the window. 3 already is. If Nolan wants to keep working in the league where better than the team who's defense he started to turn around and convert to his scheme in '09? He'd effectively be a year ahead of the game compared to anywhere else.
I notice you haven't weighed in on the Elway presser yet.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #14
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
The Mularkey idea is growing on me every day. He's a solid, proven coach, who was moderately successful at his first HC gig, which happened to be with a terrible organization. He could be the next Belichek.

I would love a Mularkey/Nolan duo. Nolan obviously had some insight into how to make this a successful defensive unit, and given some new talent might make it NFL worthy in a year or two.

I think Mularkey would be great for Tebow.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #15
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
Ill pass on Mularkey.
You would pass on top notch cooter too.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #16
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:

We bring in Mularkey as HC, he brings Musgrave along to be the OC. Nolan is out since with Harbaugh or Cowher (both of Miami's big name targets) Nolan is likely being replaced by one of "their" guys. Where better for him to catch on than the defense he helped realign just a season ago with many of the same pieces he pursued still here?

Once Nolan is back in the fold its just a small step from there for him to bring his buddy Sporano with him as an "Assistant HC - Offensive Line" to coach up our OL. With Mularkey's connections from his Pittsburgh days and Nolan's connections as an established 3-4 DC we could go out and put together one hell of a staff behind that backbone to help them succeed.

Maybe bring in Singletary as Asst. HC - LBs while we're at it. Staff the team with overqualified, competent men who share a common work ethic and desire to succeed. Sure Sporano and Singletary would likely be jumping ship in just a few seasons, but a few seasons of that kind of leadership is what this team adrift needs.

Its a fantasy, but it a fantasy that the stars seem to be aligning to make at least possible.
I really like this line of thinking and it would be a dream. My only concern is too many big name guys in one room. That's a lot of ego's to check at the door.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #17
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I notice you haven't weighed in on the Elway presser yet.
On the fence there.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #18
Dukes
Ring of Famer

I think Mularkey is the gunna be their guy. We'll see.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #19
OrangeSe7en

There are really only two candidates who can legitimately claim to know of the connection between the team and the fans, and thats Nolan and Dennison...except, they arent candidates at the moment.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #20
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:

Sign me up.

Nolan can bring Singletary onboard as Linebackers coach. I like that move a lot.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #21
Mjolnir

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Sign me up.

Nolan can bring Singletary onboard as Linebackers coach. I like that move a lot.
Maybe Singletary could get DJ to reach his full potential.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #22
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Drek's right though, Miami are openly and actively pursuing Harbaugh, how do you think Sparano and his staff feel at this point, he is still the coach. Nolan is close with him too, so he could be free.

Oh, then we could say 6 DC's in 7 years! The beginnings of consistency!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #23
Mjolnir

I should say if DJ's not traded first.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #24
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Isn't it more likely? lol
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #25
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Silence View Post
I really like this line of thinking and it would be a dream. My only concern is too many big name guys in one room. That's a lot of ego's to check at the door.
But thats the beauty of it. They aren't ego guys. Sporano, Singletary, Nolan, they all just want to win.

They also all probably want to be drawing a paycheck and working towards their next gig.

Right now Bill Calahan, the HC who replaced Gruden and had the Raiders in the Super Bowl, is an OL coach for the Jets. Dom Capers worked as a DB consultant for the Pats one year before going to Green Bay to run their now outstanding defense. Mularkey went from HC to OC with Atlanta to "do his time" before getting another crack at it. Its what failed HCs have to do in order to build themselves back up.

When you've got guys like Mularkey and Musgrave, coming form Pittsburgh and Atlanta where the defensive guys handled their side of the ball and the offensive guys handled their side of the ball you have guys who understand the distribution of responsibility and work. No one can be an all in one package like McDaniels and Shanahan both tried to be here.

That dovetails perfectly with bringing in a guy to run the defensive side of the ball for him. In this case Mike Nolan, who already knows most of the talent on the roster and the kind of system that has been installed here.

Now we obviously need a new OL coach and Mike Nolan happens to be close friends with a damn fine one currently in need of work by the name of Tony Sporano. A guy many viewed as a no ego foot soldier for Parcells given the next bump up, and likely not someone who would rock the boat in house. He does his job, he does it better than almost anyone, and he lets the results speak for themselves. Its his primary reason for getting ousted in Miami. Its not that he isn't good, he's just not exciting enough.

Same with Singletary. Another friend of Nolan's. With Martindale out we need a new LBs coach. Singletary was Nolan's LB coach in Baltimore and has never had a problem working under Nolan before. I'm sure he now understands that he needs to further develop his message and coaching techniques if he wants that HC title again in his career.

They're all guys who understand that success in the NFL comes from highly qualified people doing very good work on their one area of expertise. Its Football 101. Do your job and let the guy next to you do his. They'll all understand that turning around the mess the Broncos have become will get them all what they want sooner than later anyhow.

Maybe they all get better offers. But as of right now we could make a legitimate run at assembling that kind of staff. I don't think its going to happen, but it sure would be awesome and it doesn't take too many pieces falling into place for that chain reaction to occur.