The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default BMarsh Offensive Coordinator?

brandon-marshall-admits-to-drawing-up-his-own-plays.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...own-plays.html

There’s an art to the way Brandon Marshall talks because he usually manages to say SOMETHING without outright saying something.

Brandon Marshall wants Dolphins offense to be more aggressive.

The Miami Dolphins’ alpha receiver has done it all season, sending subliminal (and sometimes clear as day) messages to the media, encouraging us to read between-the-lines. That habit continued during his final weekly interview with WQAM’s Michael Irvin show this Tuesday.

Marshall hinted that he’s had issues with the Miami Dolphins’ conservative offensive play calling, especially how he was used in 2010, and some of it center on Chad Henne’s conservative approach to playing quarterback.

Marshall also outright admitted he and Tyler Thigpen, who replaced Henne against the Patriots, were improvising on a couple of occasions during Sunday’s 38-7 loss to the New England Patriots, a game where he caught five passes for 97 yards, most of which came in the second-half with Thigpen at the trigger.

Changing plays on the field led to Marshall having a heated discussion with quarterback coach David Lee, who didn’t like the fact Marshall and Thigpen were changing in-routes to go-routes based on the coverage Marshall was seeing.

One of those improvised plays drew a 32-yard penalty and set up the Dolphins’ lone touchdown. That pass interference was the second one the Dolphins’ Pro Bowl receiver drew all season, joining the one Jets linebacker Bart Scott committed in Miami’s 10-6 victory on Dec. 12th.

“We had a little discussion on the sidelines about keeping the route on,” Marshall said of his dispute with Lee, which centered on the type of press coverage New England cornerback Devin McCourty was playing him.

“They expect me to run an in-route, but me as a player, when we get singled with no safety over the top I want to take a shot and just converted it to a go….Seemed like an easier throw, easier play was the go route…. The quarterback coach was just doing his job. He didn’t know that me and Tyler were on the same page in terms of seeing the same thing out there.”

Marshall said he and Thigpen talked through the Patriots’ coverage often during the game. But sources tell me they changed some of Marshall’s routes in the huddle before looking at New England’s defense.

“I’m 6-5, 230 and have a rookie cornerback that’s 5-10, maybe 190 pounds in front of me. Just throw it up. You see what happened,” Marshall said, referring to the 35-yard catch he made on an improvised route. “That’s the type of play that my game has been missing all year, being able to threaten somebody deep when it’s one-on-one, no matter if they are running with me side-by-side or if I got a step or two. I look at it as if I’m open.

“When there’s press coverage outside and single safety (high) in the past taking a shot has always worked out pretty good, in my favor,” said Marshall, who finished 2010 with 86 receptions for 1,014 yards and three touchdowns. “That’s something I’ve been trying to get called all year….Trying to get them to understand if I’m covered I’m not covered.”

When asked if he favors Thigpen over Henne, whom he expressed doubts about last week for the first time all season, Marshall confronted the show’s co-host, warned he’d always “kept it real” with the show, then said: “I like whoever is getting the job done.

“Tyler gets it a little more,” Marshall said when asked a follow up question about the two quarterbacks. ”We had an opportunity to make three big plays. We made an amazing play on one of them, had a pass interference on the other, and the other one I just dropped. We really had an opportunity to go 3-for-3.

“It’s a look that I’ve been trying to communicate with the quarterbacks all year and we finally get it the last game and show what we’re capable of doing,” Marshall said. “Tyler gets it. He had an opportunity to play with Dwayne Bowe in Kansas City and they made some plays out there so I guess he understands [about] throwing the ball to a big receiver a little more than Chad Henne. But Chad has done some great things for us this year. He’s a smart, intelligent guy. The way he plays the game is he does…goes exactly through his reads.”

So, to translate it, Marshall subliminally called Henne a Robot.

“No matter the situation or the match up, it doesn’t matter that I’m 6-5, 230 against a rookie corner who is 5-8, 5-9,” Marshall said of Henne’s by-the-book style.

“We may have a discussion where we’re too safe as an offense at certain positions. I’ll take my chance in the game,” Marshall said. “We make three big plays, three conversions and then you get to the sidelines and there’s some conflict there because they don’t like it.

“If I would have caught that third one it probably still would have been a debate,” Marshall said. “We just have to get on the same page.”

Based on this season’s offensive production, and Marshall’s recent comments, it’s very clear the Dolphins weren’t in 2010.
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Baby TO indeed.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Why did I picture crayons as soon as I read "Brandon Marshall drawing"?
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

So glad he's gone.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Can we bring him as an OC?
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Although i'll have to say, the Dolphins passing game was pretty uninspiring...
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
BroncosMT
Back in Big Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Baby TO indeed.
Agreed
BroncosMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I am so glad we got rid of him.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
JJG
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
Can we bring him as an OC?
I heard he has the job locked up.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Baby TO indeed.
Another year with Henne, and this guy is going to go full blown TO.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

The phins have underachieved but they have underachieved in the toughest division in the NFL. This was a meaningless game with the second string QB playing under center. If Bmarsh was doing this in a playoff game, then it's a bad situation. However, at the end of the year with nothing on the line, I'm not so sure this is a big deal.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #12
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

I'll just quote a certain person I respect that was near the Broncos while he was here:

"Brandon Marshall is one of the worst human's I have ever met"....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #13
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
I'll just quote a certain person I respect that was near the Broncos while he was here:

"Brandon Marshall is one of the worst human's I have ever met"....
I have stories...
Old 01-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #14
Mile High Shack
Ring of Famer

Cock-a-doodle-do

Quote:
I have stories...
don't hold back, he's not longer a bronco lol

it wouldn't shock me to find out he's a big POS, I pretty much assume the worst with him

I am kinda shocked, him leaving in Miami Beach, he hasn't already been caught with a gang-o-coke and doing a donkey in a hotel room or something
Mile High Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #15
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
I have stories...
do tell.....
Old 01-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #16
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

How about instead I leak something nice and let you know there are a few Broncos who help run a soup kitchen in town for the homeless and keep it on the down-low.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #17
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

I heard Brandon Marshall is adamantly against soup for the homeless.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #18
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
How about instead I leak something nice and let you know there are a few Broncos who help run a soup kitchen in town for the homeless and keep it on the down-low.
that screams Eddie Royal...

I want Marshall dirt dammit!

Don't make me have Kuper force it out of you.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #19
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Shack View Post
don't hold back, he's not longer a bronco lol

it wouldn't shock me to find out he's a big POS, I pretty much assume the worst with him

I am kinda shocked, him leaving in Miami Beach, he hasn't already been caught with a gang-o-coke and doing a donkey in a hotel room or something
At least we know what you would be doing in his situation.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #20
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
The phins have underachieved but they have underachieved in the toughest division in the NFL. This was a meaningless game with the second string QB playing under center. If Bmarsh was doing this in a playoff game, then it's a bad situation. However, at the end of the year with nothing on the line, I'm not so sure this is a big deal.
you dont think that a player, who has had known team defiance tendencies prior, now calling his own plays on another team is a big deal, just because its a meaningless game?
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #21
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Oh also, oh em gee, McPoopy traded away our pro bowlars!1
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoflcommish View Post
you dont think that a player, who has had known team defiance tendencies prior, now calling his own plays on another team is a big deal, just because its a meaningless game?
fact is, I don't care. Bmarsh is Miami's problem now. I'm just saying that looking at the big picture, the timing of what Bmarsh and Thigpen did (don't forget it takes two to tango) is probably not a big deal.

Also, none of us are privy to how things work on an NFL sideline. For all we know, this is not all that uncommon among players. I'm thinking OchoDinko and TO did a little bit of this same kind of stuff on their sideline. Again, it's all about the timing of said events and the ramifications of the game.

If I'm Miami's front office does this concern me, yah. But I'm not gonna make a mountain out of a mole hill.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #23
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

At least he knows you need to be aggressive
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #24
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I would have loved to see this offense with Marshall, Lloyd, and Royal. Marshall and Lloyd would complement each other perfectly.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #25
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
I would have loved to see this offense with Marshall, Lloyd, and Royal. Marshall and Lloyd would complement each other perfectly.
Lloyd would never have been given the chance to shine if Marshall were still around.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote