The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 06:13 AM   #1
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Default Xanders (but really Elway) is the GM

Looks like it is official. Would have loved to bring in a strong GM type from the outside and moved on from Xanders. He title is kind of meaningless since he answers to Elway anyway. Hope he and Elway make a good team.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_17012532

At 6 p.m. Tuesday, Elway and Joe Ellis, the Broncos' chief operating officer, officially finalized the contract making Elway the team's executive vice president of football operations.

"This is a great day in the history of the Denver Broncos — for (owner) Pat Bowlen, the entire organization and all the fans of the Broncos," Ellis said at meeting's end.

--------

What's going on is that the Broncos already have decided that Brian Xanders will have the job, not just the title, of general manager, "and he will be responsible for most of the personnel decisions, the scouting, the salary cap, the draft," Elway said. "He and I have met for several hours over the past couple of weeks, and I'm impressed by his knowledge, his work ethic, his background, his dedication to winning and his love for the Broncos."

The next critical item of Broncos business is hiring a new coach. Elway, Xanders, Bowlen and Ellis will interview the candidates, "and we'll come to a consensus," Elway said. "We'll get it done in the next week or two. Brian has done the research over the past 15 years and found that the difference between successful offensive and defensive hires is about 2 percent, so we're not committed one way or the other. We will hire someone who has been a coach in the league or someone who has long been associated with pro football as a coordinator or a strong coach — someone who will feel as strongly about the Broncos as we do."
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2011, 06:14 AM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

so they just said that xanders will be the real GM with his own personnel decisions etc, but you chime in with your own bs "its really elway anyway" when every single indication thus far has shown elway is NOT in that type of role...
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
so they just said that xanders will be the real GM with his own personnel decisions etc, but you chime in with your own bs "its really elway anyway" when every single indication thus far has shown elway is NOT in that type of role...
Yeah, it's called a discussion board...
Old 01-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Elway isn't the GM.

And at least they are doing things in the right order this time.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
It isn't like it is random speculation. We always have had GM's "in charge of personnel". Xanders was the last two seasons. You cried like this when people pointed out McDaniels was really in charge because the team said they both made the decisions... Guess what came out after the firing? McDaniels was in charge (which was very obvious to anyone with a brain)....

You should learn someday that what they say isn't always true. Are you really that new of a fan?

Last edited by jhns; 01-05-2011 at 06:22 AM..
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:20 AM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Elway isn't the GM.

And at least they are doing things in the right order this time.
to me it seems like elway and ellis will be splitting duties this time around. helping with football decisions such as the coach and contracts etc, but not picking players
Old 01-05-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Quote:
Elway isn't the GM.
Well, Xanders was supposed to assume this same role when McDaniels came in, but my impression is that he got run over by a 32 year old kid and got his power stolen.

I doubt that giving him an official title will change anything but his business card. If Elway tells Xanders to do something, it'll happen.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:22 AM   #8
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

The fact that the kept Xanders indicates to me that Josh's dismissal was more about the video taping than anything else.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:23 AM   #9
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

So they are basically saying it won't be Harbaugh
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #10
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
Well, Xanders was supposed to assume this same role when McDaniels came in, but my impression is that he got run over by a 32 year old kid and got his power stolen.

I doubt that giving him an official title will change anything but his business card. If Elway tells Xanders to do something, it'll happen.
mcdaniels got the same power system thats been in denver since bowlen has been here. xanders job was in line with that of ted sundquist.

and from schefter and DB on twitter just now:
Quote:
AdamSchefter

John Elway introduced as Broncos new Exec. VP of Football Ops today. Joe Ellis' title changed to President - with ultimate responsibility.

Denver_Broncos

The Broncos have named John Elway as the team's Executive Vice President of Football Operations and appoint Joe Ellis to Team President. #fb

Denver_Broncos

Elway will oversee the head coach and GM Brian Xanders. Elway will also lead the team's head coaching search. #fb
good spot for him to be at im thinking.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:25 AM   #11
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
The fact that the kept Xanders indicates to me that Josh's dismissal was more about the video taping than anything else.
Or he was in charge and he was the one the f'ed the team. Are you really going to claim Xanders was making decisions?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:25 AM   #12
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Not a bad point, but I think Xanders is probably a great organizer, someone with a bunch of connections that can run a scouting program, compile data for the draft, etc. People like him and respect him because he works hard and plays along.

In the end, I think all the 'big calls' are going to need to get Elway's stamp on them.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:26 AM   #13
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The fact that they kept Xanders when Shanahan was fired tells me that Shanahan was probably fired for hitting on Bowlens wife, not for how the team looked.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:27 AM   #14
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
So they are basically saying it won't be Harbaugh
That's what I thought too when I read that.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:31 AM   #15
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
AdamSchefter

John Elway introduced as Broncos new Exec. VP of Football Ops today. Joe Ellis' title changed to President - with ultimate responsibility.

Denver_Broncos

The Broncos have named John Elway as the team's Executive Vice President of Football Operations and appoint Joe Ellis to Team President. #fb

Denver_Broncos

Elway will oversee the head coach and GM Brian Xanders. Elway will also lead the team's head coaching search. #fb
I'm gonna go ahead and toot my own horn here.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...0&postcount=67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John
I think the Xanders ship has sailed, and Elway will be the god of all thing Broncos.
I still am not sold on that. Aside from the fact Elway disqualified himself, which no one seems to consider, I still think Elway will be executive VP of football operations and chair a committee that selects either the GM or the coach.

My hope is that Elway and Bowlen will announce a GM relatively soon and all of them will have input in selecting the coach.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:32 AM   #16
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Matt Millen: I hope John Elway does better than I did
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 5, 2011, 8:45 AM EST

As a former player with no personnel experience getting the keys to an NFL franchise, John Elway is in exclusive company. There’s really only one recent example of the same thing happening, and that was Matt Millen’s tenure running the Detroit Lions.

Broncos fans, be afraid. Be very afraid.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post contacted Millen to ask about his experiences, and Millen acknowledged that the Broncos had better hope Elway is a whole lot better than he was.

“I hope John does better than I did, because I stunk at it,” Millen said.

Unlike Ozzie Newsome, a Hall of Fame player who worked his way up the personnel ladder before becoming G.M. of the Ravens, Elway and Millen got their jobs without having to learn the ropes first, although Elway does have a little more experience than Millen did, since Elway ran an Arena Football team. Millen said Elway may be surprised by what the job entails.

“There’s a misconception about the job,” Millen said. “It’s less about the game of football. It’s less about X’s and O’s. It’s less about personnel decisions. It’s a job about managing people. It’s about building a consensus when you pick the right head coach. You can’t go in and be this football czar and say this is how it’s going to work. If you pick somebody that a coach doesn’t like and doesn’t coach, that’s a bad situation.”

One difference between Elway and Millen is where they’re starting: Millen took over a Lions team that had gone 9-7 the previous season and promptly ran them into the ground. Elway is taking over a 4-12 Broncos team that has nowhere to go but up.

And Millen does believe Elway can turn the Broncos around.

“Absolutely,” Millen said. “John has a shot to be successful.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...er-than-i-did/
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:40 AM   #17
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I don't like this.

As much credit as people want to pour on Mularkey here, look at the job that Dimitroff did setting him and Smith up for success in 2008. Those moves did not include retaining Xanders
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:40 AM   #18
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Matt Millen: I hope John Elway does better than I did
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 5, 2011, 8:45 AM EST

As a former player with no personnel experience getting the keys to an NFL franchise, John Elway is in exclusive company. There’s really only one recent example of the same thing happening, and that was Matt Millen’s tenure running the Detroit Lions.

Broncos fans, be afraid. Be very afraid.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post contacted Millen to ask about his experiences, and Millen acknowledged that the Broncos had better hope Elway is a whole lot better than he was.

“I hope John does better than I did, because I stunk at it,” Millen said.

Unlike Ozzie Newsome, a Hall of Fame player who worked his way up the personnel ladder before becoming G.M. of the Ravens, Elway and Millen got their jobs without having to learn the ropes first, although Elway does have a little more experience than Millen did, since Elway ran an Arena Football team. Millen said Elway may be surprised by what the job entails.

“There’s a misconception about the job,” Millen said. “It’s less about the game of football. It’s less about X’s and O’s. It’s less about personnel decisions. It’s a job about managing people. It’s about building a consensus when you pick the right head coach. You can’t go in and be this football czar and say this is how it’s going to work. If you pick somebody that a coach doesn’t like and doesn’t coach, that’s a bad situation.”

One difference between Elway and Millen is where they’re starting: Millen took over a Lions team that had gone 9-7 the previous season and promptly ran them into the ground. Elway is taking over a 4-12 Broncos team that has nowhere to go but up.

And Millen does believe Elway can turn the Broncos around.

“Absolutely,” Millen said. “John has a shot to be successful.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...er-than-i-did/
If I'm a Lion's fan I would march down to Millen's house and string the guy up for those quotes. After putting that team through years of misery, and then extending his contract, at the end he comes out and admits he knows he sucked at it? What a POS.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:43 AM   #19
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Okay, I would have preferred for them to interview other GM candidates, but what's done is done. I'm on board. Get it done, guys.

A few things:

Pat Bowlen is no longer president, so he will have to change his Custom User Title before the next time he posts here.

I agree Elway's stance on Tebow. They like what they see but no long term commitment until they see more.

I like the list of coaches they are contacting for interviews. But if the Saints go on a run, which I think they will, they'll have to wait more than the 2 weeks Elway spoke about to talk with him. I hope they don't miss out on some good candidates in the meantime.

Lastly, I have nothing but good memories from Elway. I really, really want him to succeed. I'm not sure if it's possible for him to tarnish his legacy, but if it's an epic failure I hope both sides will recognize it quickly and be able to move on.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #20
meangene
Ring of Famer

As far as I am concerned, retaining and, in essence, promoting Xanders, is strike one of the new "Elway regime". They best not miss on the new coach.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:50 AM   #21
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post

You should take your opinion out of the thread title. Elway isn't "really" the GM just because Xanders answers to him. Just as Bowlen wasn't "really" our GM because everyone answers to him. And your assumption that Xanders is going to be pushed around is assuming that Elway even wants his hands in everything, which he does not.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #22
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
You should take your opinion out of the thread title. Elway isn't "really" the GM just because Xanders answers to him. Just as Bowlen wasn't "really" our GM because everyone answers to him. And your assumption that Xanders is going to be pushed around is assuming that Elway even wants his hands in everything, which he does not.
I think it's still too early to say we know and understand the power structure and what each person's duties will entail. In fact, it'll probably take us years for that dynamic to come open, if ever.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #23
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Gah. This doesn't bode well. Maybe xanders was worth keeping, but I put the firing of Mike Shanahan, as well as the hiring of Josh McDaniels at Ellis's feet. It's debatable if Shanahan was the right decision, but McDaniels was not for a moment correct.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #24
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
This is the thread where the main discussion is to occur, he really should edit that title. Seems like it's another one those situations where he is posting it in every thread possible so lemmings think his opinion is fact. Lord.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #25
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
If I'm a Lion's fan I would march down to Millen's house and string the guy up for those quotes. After putting that team through years of misery, and then extending his contract, at the end he comes out and admits he knows he sucked at it? What a POS.
What do you think he was suppose to say, "I was awesome at it?"

I think he was just stating a clear fact looking back on his tenure with the lions.
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote