The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
KevinJames
DT
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,054
Default What do you guys think of targeting DeAngelo Williams

DeAngelo Williams will be a free agent, and with the emergence of Carolina's backs with him being down I think Carolina will let him walk and we should target him.

We all like Knowshon's ability but he has problems staying healthy maybe him being featured behind Williams in a 3rd down back role similar to what Jonathan Stewart did behind him in Carolina.

Running back by committee is just what Knowshon needs.

heres what I want our backfield to look like

DeAngelo Williams / Knowshon Moreno - time share
Lendale White - goal line and short yardage
UDFA

Last edited by KevinJames; 01-04-2011 at 06:26 PM..
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Gene helping John figure out FA

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 34,312

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums
Default

I would like to have a guy like Williams here. Just wouldn't want to over pay.

I miss the days when we didn't have to worry about finding RB's and could just bring in a low round pick or UDFA to put up 1500 yards and 15 TDs.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,155

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

I wouldn't "target" any offensive players.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,415

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

In 5 years he's had one good year. I don't want a player I have to pray stays healthy enough to play the season.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
TheProfessor
Seasoned Veteran
 
TheProfessor's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 288

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I wouldn't "target" any offensive players.
Unless the team is confident that Walton will improve SIGNIFICANTLY we need a center in the worst way.

Add to that, once we make the shift over to the West Coast system we absolutely have to acquire a TE that can catch the ball.

Sadly we have needs everywhere
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Zoobie
Love Machine
 
Zoobie's Avatar
 
The John Fox trot

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland,OR
Posts: 461

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton
Default

Williams is going to get a big contract, the amount of money we'd have to pay a Moreno/Williams backfield would be ridiculous.
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I wouldn't "target" any offensive players.
Why? I can understand that logic when it comes to the draft, but targeting an offensive player or two in free agency doesn't hamper improving the defense. It's not like we don't have some needs on offense.

As far as Williams goes, he gets dinged up all the time. We already have one RB who has problems staying healthy. If we sign or draft a back, I'd rather go with someone without a worrisome injury history.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
Likwid Kerruj
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Signing free agent running backs to big money makes me nervous.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
db56
Seasoned Veteran
 
db56's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I would like to have a guy like Williams here. Just wouldn't want to over pay.

I miss the days when we didn't have to worry about finding RB's and could just bring in a low round pick or UDFA to put up 1500 yards and 15 TDs.
exactly! I liked the Knowshon pick at the time and I still believe he can be a good player but #12 was a bit high looking back.

I like Williams but he has durability issues so it would have to be for the right money..
db56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,155

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Why? I can understand that logic when it comes to the draft, but targeting an offensive player or two in free agency doesn't hamper improving the defense. It's not like we don't have some needs on offense.
I don't want the FO to spend a single ounce of energy that should be committed to addressing an historically bad defense.

I'll gladly run with the exact same offense that finished the season if it means we've made significant upgrades on defense.

True, one may not preclude the other, but I want all our resources dedicated to a defense that has been laughable for 10+ years.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #11
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I don't want the FO to spend a single ounce of energy that should be committed to addressing an historically bad defense.

I'll gladly run with the exact same offense that finished the season if it means we've made significant upgrades on defense.

True, one may not preclude the other, but I want all our resources dedicated to a defense that has been laughable for 10+ years.
We can target a RB or TE in free agency without significantly depleting the resources directed towards the defense. In fact, if we were to make solid signings at RB and TE, we could pretty much spend every single draft pick on defense (maybe one or two late round offensive lineman). No team is ever going to go an entire offseason and literally not sign or draft a significant player on one side of the ball. We need to put the primary focus on the defense...of course. But it's not a good idea to be myopic about it, either.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 
No avatar is the new avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,548

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy
Default

I am thinking Tom Cable would be a great addition and he IS available
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #13
BroncosSR
Perennial Pro-bowler
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 755
Default

Maybe with a pistol but not as a Denver Bronco.
BroncosSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #14
schaaf
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I really like the offense we have right now..but with that said we need to get some playmakers.

I never thought at any point this season that we could hit a homerun at any time.

I even thought that Tatum Bell could do that occasionally, and he is now in the UFL
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #15
Hamrob
All-American!
 
Hamrob's Avatar
 
All-American!

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,458

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Yes, Williams or somebody equal to him in Free Agency and then use our #34 pick on Kyle Rudolph.

All other resources can be and should be spent on defense. If we don't take Rudolph at #34...then I want Stocker in the 3rd!

Tim Tebow needs a receiving TE that is a stud. That actually could be the most important piece to his success. It's not Quinn!!!!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:16 AM   #16
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,892
Default

As long as we aren't giving him Champ's money, I'd love to have Williams. When was the last time we got a big play from our running game? Besides our QB scoring from 40 out, at least.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:54 AM   #17
Hotwheelz
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
Hotwheelz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
I really like the offense we have right now..but with that said we need to get some playmakers.

I never thought at any point this season that we could hit a homerun at any time.


I even thought that Tatum Bell could do that occasionally, and he is now in the UFL
Brandon Lloyd says hi.
Hotwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:24 AM   #18
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 8,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
Yes, Williams or somebody equal to him in Free Agency and then use our #34 pick on Kyle Rudolph.

All other resources can be and should be spent on defense. If we don't take Rudolph at #34...then I want Stocker in the 3rd!

Tim Tebow needs a receiving TE that is a stud. That actually could be the most important piece to his success. It's not Quinn!!!!

I know of a TE in Detroit we could trade for
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:26 AM   #19
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,477
Default

Since a rookie RB probably not an option I think it would be smart to bring in the FA rbs and see what type of deals they are looking for.

I like Bush in Oakland a lot. They have McFadden to sign in a yr or so and may not tag him. Also I would take a look at Zach Miller the TE as well.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:26 AM   #20
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,572

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
In 5 years he's had one good year. I don't want a player I have to pray stays healthy enough to play the season.
Too late!
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #21
BroncosMT
Back in Big Sky
 
BroncosMT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Frozen tundra of Montana
Posts: 875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
In 5 years he's had one good year. I don't want a player I have to pray stays healthy enough to play the season.
I would agree....we already have one of those....we don't need both on the sidelines
BroncosMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #22
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I would like to have a guy like Williams here. Just wouldn't want to over pay.

I miss the days when we didn't have to worry about finding RB's and could just bring in a low round pick or UDFA to put up 1500 yards and 15 TDs.
Ah, the good ol' days.

They're not coming back. Might as well get used to it.

ETA: I'm down with Williams. Wanted him out of college.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #23
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,049

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
In 5 years he's had one good year. I don't want a player I have to pray stays healthy enough to play the season.
One good year? More like one great year and two other good years IMO.

2009 - in 13 games, he had over 1,100 yds and 7 TDs. That's pretty damn good IMO.

2007 - in part time duty with 0 starts, he had over 700 yds and averaged 5 yards per carry and had 5 TDs. Not great, but he was splitting carries and was productive when he had the ball.

Either way, we're talking about a three year period where he averaged over 5 yards a carry and over 10 TDs per season.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #24
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,572

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
One good year? More like one great year and two other good years IMO.

2009 - in 13 games, he had over 1,100 yds and 7 TDs. That's pretty damn good IMO.

2007 - in part time duty with 0 starts, he had over 700 yds and averaged 5 yards per carry and had 5 TDs. Not great, but he was splitting carries and was productive when he had the ball.

Either way, we're talking about a three year period where he averaged over 5 yards a carry and over 10 TDs per season.
DeShaun Foster... now that's a blast from the past.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dolphins shopping Ted Ginn bronco militia Orange Mane Central Discussion 40 04-14-2010 06:53 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:30 AM.


Denver Broncos