The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Default Schlereth rips Shanahan...

Wow, pretty pointed comments here...

Mark Schlereth on Mike Shanahan's decision-making, ego ... and more
By Cindy Boren

Kevin Ewoldt of Hogs Haven talked to ESPN's Mark Schlereth last week and got plenty of insight and opinion from him on Mike Shanahan as a coach and personnel guy. Schlereth is in a position to know...he played for Shanahan in Denver.

Ewoldt: "Back in July, you said Shanahan was very aware of the reason he was out in Denver -- the poor personnel decisions in the draft & free agency. Here we are one year into this and the Redskins burned 2 high draft picks for a QB that's out in 1-year & 3rd round pick for a banged up Tackle that will be a free agent in 2 weeks. Is he still a bad GM?"

Schlereth: "It's a little bit of a different situation. He had some stability in Denver and he had good players, but he made bad draft choice after bad draft choice. And then he chased those bad draft choices with bad free agent moves. [The Redskins] are an organization that was still lacking some depth and legit, big time quarterbacks. They tried to patch a hole, obviously. The jury is still out on those moves and how much Mike Shanahan plays in that and how much is on Bruce Allen and the owner."

Ewoldt: "Well, Warren Sapp said Bruce Allen is nothing more than a guy that plays golf with the alumni and works the salary cap and contracts."

Schlereth: "[laughing] If that's the case...I've known Mike for a very long time in regards to those personnel moves and there are a lot of things you kind of look at and scratch your head and I could go through tons of them that happened in Denver which made zero sense."

Ewoldt: "For example?"

Schlereth: "Let's start with the draft. Ashley Lelie. Really? Deltha O'Neal, who played running back in college at Cal Berkley got switched to defensive back. We drafted him in the first round. Does that truly make sense? Guys like Willie Middlebrooks. You've never heard of them. [Willie was a] defensive back from the University of Minnesota that never panned out. 1st round draft choice. George Foster -1st round draft choice, who was injured his last year in college with a broken wrist and really couldn't bend his wrist. A lot of people thought he'd be available in the 4th or 5th round and we took him with the 24th pick overall in the draft. I can go on and on and on.

"And then free agent wise. Whether it was Daryl Gardener from the Miami Dolphins or a handful of other guys that really didn't pan out. A lot of poor moves in that regard. When you make poor draft choices, and that's the biggest thing, you're forced to chase those poor draft choices because if they don't pan out, in the free agent market you try to patch a hole. The problem being one bad choice makes you chase another guy and another guy. It makes you draft people and chase free agents out of position and overpay those guys. I think it's been a problem in Washington even before Mike ever got there."

Ewoldt: "There's ten years of game film on McNabb throwing these worm balls. How did Shanahan not see that he was a bad fit?"

Schlereth: "OK, let me tell you. And this is endemic of all coaches. Don't just put this on Mike, you can put this on anybody. Donovan's biggest issue has been accuracy. He's always struggled over his career with being a very accurate QB. I can put on any game film this year of Donovan and there's six or seven balls a game where he throws them into the dirt where nobody has an opportunity [to make the catch]. Where you're like, "Really?" It's a 7-yard throw and you threw it four yards short in the dirt. How can that be? And, the problem with coaches in general is they really feel like they can cure or fix anybody. From the inaccuracy, they'll say, 'Oh, it's his footwork. Under my expert tutelage I'll get him to setup a different way. I'll get his knees bent a little bit more. I'll get his weight distributed more evenly. And I'll fix this issue.'

"The problem comes under duress you revert back to schoolyard and bad habits. Anytime you got a little bit of stress or pressure, inevitably you revert back to what you've always been. Coaches think they can fix people mechanically. It comes down to ego. They think they can fix a guy who's an absolute terd everywhere he's been and they think they can take that guy under their expert tutelage they're going to go play."

Ewoldt: "How much of the offensive coordinating is Kyle doing versus Mike? You worked with Kubiak as a Coordinator in Denver, and as fans, we see the Head Coach's son as a coordinator and there's really no risk of him losing his job."

Schlereth: "Yeah, I don't know if that's a great situation, but Mike always has his hands in it. Whether he is calling plays or Kyle is calling plays, the bottom line, and this is the way it was in Denver, those coaches put a game plan together, Mike will review it, add to it, subtract from it, say 'I like this. I don't like this.' He is intimately involved in the game planning and the execution of the game plan. Don't think it falls on Kyle. Nothing gets called on the football field on Sunday that hasn't been approved through Mike's desk in the course of the week."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ear...e_shanaha.html
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

I don't have a problem with what he said....I've heard Stink make these same comments on the air several times here in colorado
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
crowebomber
Ring of Famer

Old School Sucka Fool

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Frank Tripucka

If Schlereth made statements publicly questioning Shanahan's decisions at the time they were made, then I must have missed them. I'm not trying to defend Shanahan, because obviously looking back, they were bad moves. But that's just it, hindsight is always 20/20, so Schlereth is no better than any of us bellyaching after the fact. And why didn't we pick Ed Reed? Blah, blah, blah.
crowebomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Haha holy ****.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

That last bit is false. The last season Shanahan was here, he called plays in a few games, plays which got blown up, that they didn't practice at all that week and they tried in critical situations.

I feel bad for Shanahan. Hiring his own son and working for a crappy owner puts him in a difficult situation.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

This has been obvious for a long time
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I feel bad for Shanahan. Hiring his own son and working for a crappy owner puts him in a difficult situation.
you feel bad? This is the deal he wanted
Old 01-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

That's ripping?
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
you feel bad? This is the deal he wanted
I know. He made his own bed. I just have a lot of respect for him and don't want him to do poorly.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
I know. He made his own bed. I just have a lot of respect for him and don't want him to do poorly.
ok...

He jumped the shark when he benched Mcnabb in Detroit.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frerottenextelway View Post
That's ripping?
You say tomato.

Just haven't heard many ex-players of a coach be so explicit about his opinions, particularly a guy who he won a SB with.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Same here.

I knew it was time for him to go. That was painfully obvious and this season in Washington only solidifies that. But, I'll always hold the guy in high regard for what he did for us. I just can't figure out for the life of me how you can put a team together like he did when he got to Denver... and then just pretty much forget how to do it after that. His success post-Elway was almost 100% due to his game-day coaching, imo.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #13
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Stink was just stating the obvious, far from ripping him. Same thing he says on the radio every week. He also credits Shanny to extending his career another few seasons. He states that pretty regularly. Stink is pretty fair in his criticism and praise.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #14
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
That last bit is false. The last season Shanahan was here, he called plays in a few games, plays which got blown up, that they didn't practice at all that week and they tried in critical situations.

Shanny will always be remembered, by me, for those huge trophies...but there is no way in hell I feel sorry for him and his situation...he chose it and has added a few more kinks.
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #15
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncswin View Post
Shanny will always be remembered, by me, for those huge trophies...but there is no way in hell I feel sorry for him and his situation...he chose it and has added a few more kinks.
I find it hard to feel sorry for him with his $34 million contract and $7 million from the Broncos and his awesome steak house and his gigantic mansion and his healthy family.

He is set for life and you want to be remembered for who you are not what you did for your job.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #16
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
You say tomato.

Just haven't heard many ex-players of a coach be so explicit about his opinions, particularly a guy who he won a SB with.

I find what he said obvious and I'm deep in the pro-Shanahan camp. We made a lot of bad personnel moves, no doubt.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #17
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
That's ripping?
This. Wtf are you talking about? He was being honest about stuff everybody says. He didn't say anything about him being a horrible coach or personality. He has had trouble in the personnel department. That is being captain obvious, not ripping...

Anyways, people can question his work in Washington all they want. He improved that team in a single offseason while changing both systems. Every front office makes mistakes every year. One or two mistakes don't mean much if the team is improving.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

and I don't feel bad for McNabb....Rush Limbaugh was right
Old 01-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #19
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

Don't feel sorry for Shanny, he's digging his own grave and ego is what is killing him. The Skins defense is example A of a guy who is not really in touch with what is best for a team. Its his own fault because he thinks he's smarter than everyone else.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #20
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

truth is well...the truth.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #21
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
I find what he said obvious and I'm deep in the pro-Shanahan camp. We made a lot of bad personnel moves, no doubt.
Right, but you and I are dudes on a message board. Just somewhat surprising to hear this line of thought from an ex-player, even if it is his job to run his mouth.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Same here.

I knew it was time for him to go. That was painfully obvious and this season in Washington only solidifies that. But, I'll always hold the guy in high regard for what he did for us. I just can't figure out for the life of me how you can put a team together like he did when he got to Denver... and then just pretty much forget how to do it after that. His success post-Elway was almost 100% due to his game-day coaching, imo.
IMHO, his success is what spoiled him. That and having Elway and getting extremely lucky with Terrell Davis.

Shanny bought into his on press and Bowlen allowed him to run the team no questions asked.

If I was Bowlen I would have done things differently. I would have pulled Mike into my office and told him (say in 2007 or so) I was bringing in a GM to make all the football decisions. He could stay as HC but his title as VP of Football Operations was going away. If he didn't like he, he could resign.

This way, I (Bowlen) make the team better and if Shanny wants to walk, I don't get stuck paying him an outrageous sum of money for the next 5 years.

Last edited by Tombstone RJ; 01-04-2011 at 01:43 PM..
Old 01-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #23
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowebomber View Post
If Schlereth made statements publicly questioning Shanahan's decisions at the time they were made, then I must have missed them. I'm not trying to defend Shanahan, because obviously looking back, they were bad moves. But that's just it, hindsight is always 20/20, so Schlereth is no better than any of us bellyaching after the fact. And why didn't we pick Ed Reed? Blah, blah, blah.
People scratched their heads over most of those moves even at the time. The only one that I think Schlereth is wrong about was Lelie. He was projected to go in the top 15 and we needed help at WR with Eddie Mac pretty much done after the leg injury. Not that everyone agreed with the pick, but you could justify based on need and where the player was projected. There is no arguing that most analyst were scratching there heads over guys like Foster and Middlebrooks, and their skepticism was proven well founded.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #24
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Paul Toviessi. Why? Why Mike, why?
Old 01-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #25
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

STinky is still mad that Shanny cut him before he got the million dollar roster bonus. lol There is somethign Captain Ahabish about shanny though

bendog is offline   Reply With Quote