The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default I hate the way this is going

Much of the information we have now is based on "sources" and rumors so who knows if it's reliable. With that said, I HATE the way this off-season is going already.

First of all, you don't go get a coach and then FORCE Tim Tebow down his throat - no wonder Harbaugh doesn't want the gig. You hire a coach you trust to make the best decision for your organization. Not only have we in essence shackled a new head coach, but you've also limited your potential candidates down to "offensive-minded" head coaches. The risk inherent in this type of deal is crazy high. If Tebow fails, so does your new HC.

Second of all, I know Orton isn't Peyton Manning, but the guy deserves more. And the rest of the guys on the roster deserve more -- you know a chance to win next year not in 2012. Orton should be the starting QB of this team (not traded for a mid round pick we'll likely waste anyway) until Tebow EARNS the spot. Even if Tebow makes a huge leap -- and I hope he will -- during the offseason, Orton is a great insurance policy.

And finally, I'm not a big fan of all this rah-rah "Bronco way" BS and bring back players, coaches, and executives for nostalgia. McDaniels made some idiotic moves (and deserved to be fired for at least the spy-gate crap), but there was a reason Bowlen and Ellis liked him. They liked him because the "Bronco way", at least under Shanahan, wasn't getting it done anymore. We needed to re-evaluate the way we practiced, drafted/evaluated players, built a roster, etc... Ellis and Bowlen screwed up by giving McD too much power, not the other way around. We need to build on what McD was doing, not panic and trash it.

The best head coaching hires of the past 5 years have all been under-the-radar hires. So please, please for the the love of all Bronco fans, let's go get us a coach that can lead this team and this organization into the future and re-invent the Bronco way. And let's trust him to decide which QB gives us the best chance to win on Sundays. We don't need some rock star like Gruden, Harbaugh, or Cowher. We need a guy that can be creative, work with the talent we have, and mold a team that is greater than the sum of the parts.

Last edited by bloodsunday; 01-04-2011 at 09:03 AM..
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

What bothers me is that we are hearing rumors and rumblings about personnel moves, like trading Orton and reevaluating other on the roster....

AND WE DON'T EVEN HAVE A FREAKING FRONT OFFICE YET!
2KBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

And we do not have enough talent for anyone to work with
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

What bothers me is that the offseason is only 2 days old, we've made exactly zero moves, and already the sky is falling.
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
Homer Simpson
╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮

...speak up, I'm wearing a toga

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fone Bone

"you don't get a head coach and force Tebow down his throat, no wonder Harbaugh doesn't want the gig"

Yet you complain about speculation but use pure speculation as fact in your complaints!?
Homer Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsunday View Post
First of all, you don't go get a coach and then FORCE Tim Tebow down his throad - no wonder Harbaugh doesn't want the gig. You hire a coach you trust to make the best decision for your organization. Not only have we in essence shackled a new head coach, but you've also limited your potential candidates down to "offensive-minded" head coaches. The risk inherent in this type of deal is crazy high. If Tebow fails, so does your new HC.

I don't agree with this at all. We could have a guy like Ron Rivera come in and be the coach. It, of course, would make both the OC and the QB coach hires that much more important.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

For what it's worth, "the right hire" is going to come to the Broncos with a plan on how they can win immediately. This means they'll be "saddling" themselves with Tebow.

No one is going to come into an interview saying "It'll take three full years to right this ship." They're going to come in and say that they believe we can be competing right away, and here's the plan...
Old 01-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
For what it's worth, "the right hire" is going to come to the Broncos with a plan on how they can win immediately. This means they'll be "saddling" themselves with Tebow.

No one is going to come into an interview saying "It'll take three full years to right this ship." They're going to come in and say that they believe we can be competing right away, and here's the plan...
And if they aren't we'll run 'em out of town!
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #9
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Simpson View Post
"you don't get a head coach and force Tebow down his throat, no wonder Harbaugh doesn't want the gig"

Yet you complain about speculation but use pure speculation as fact in your complaints!?
I'm not complaining about speculation. I complaining because we see enough evidence in the moves they have made (combined with sources) to know where this is going.

If I'm wrong -- for instance -- about them cramming Tebow down the throat of fans and the next HC, then I will happily eat some crow.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I actually think it's possible that Tebow reduces our options at head coach much the same way Elway reduces our options at GM. Some coaches might not want to be tied to Tebow, and very few if any GM candidates will want to answer to Elway. So I think the Broncos have tied their own hands on both fronts.

That being said, I disagree with the OP that Tebow has to "beat out" Orton. I think he's already done that. Tebow may not be the long term answer but it's time to move on from Orton regardless.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

i First of all, you don't go get a coach and then FORCE Tim Tebow down his throat

I'm having a flash back to February 2009.......I can't quite put my finger on it
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #12
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
and if they aren't we'll run 'em out of town!
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #13
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
And if they aren't we'll run 'em out of town!
I've got my pitchfork being tuned.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #14
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

If Orton is the answer, you're asking the wrong question.

I don't think Orton gives us the best chance even now, much less in the long term.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

force Tebow down coaches throat ? Tebow is a Coaches wet dream ....
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #16
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
force Tebow down coaches throat ? Tebow is a Coaches wet dream ....
who doesn't like a wet dream in their throat?
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #17
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Really? I would rather the coach doesn't get the say on who is on the roster. It is what made the last two coaches fail. That said, I would love to see a more experienced GM brought in. One that has been successful in evaluating and bringing in good players. Xanders only time being in charge of personnel was under McDaniels and it was by title only. McDaniels had the say just like Shanahan. That means Xanders still has never been in charge of personnel. With Elway being inexperienced, I would really like to see a proven GM brought in.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #18
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post

I disagree with your first premise that the new HC will be saddling himself with Tebow. That's really one of the main points of what I've argued here. By putting all this out via sources -- the next HC candidate is going to embrace Tebow. However, he will embrace it only because it's the only way to land the job. Coaches with enough clout will reject this premise and go another way.

The fair way to do it is to let the guy present a plan to you on how he would improve this team. Most of them probably won't know until training camp ends which guy gives him the best chance to win. But if you put the candidate on the spot and make him choose today and he doesn't pick Orton, I don't think I'd want him as my coach next year. There is simply no way that you can convince me that Tebow gives this team a better chance to win right now. MAYBE after an off-season of hard work. But we'll have to see that unfold first.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #19
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
What bothers me is that the offseason is only 2 days old, we've made exactly zero moves, and already the sky is falling.
Bingo!!
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #20
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I think rather than getting bent out of shape about no official moves by the front office, I would take heart that there hasn't been any official moves by the front office.

I always go back to what they said. Joe Ellis said in his press conference they have "some time" to get things worked out. I expect that they are going to be very methodical as they work their way through the candidates. Probably within a few weeks we'll finally hear on something official.

I do understand the frustration, but 4 win teams deal with a lot of that as they try to find their way back to civilization.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #21
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I actually think it's possible that Tebow reduces our options at head coach much the same way Elway reduces our options at GM. Some coaches might not want to be tied to Tebow, and very few if any GM candidates will want to answer to Elway. So I think the Broncos have tied their own hands on both fronts.

That being said, I disagree with the OP that Tebow has to "beat out" Orton. I think he's already done that. Tebow may not be the long term answer but it's time to move on from Orton regardless.
Good post.

That's why I said at the end that the Orton/Tebow debate depends on what you are interested in. If your position is to find a "franchise QB" at any cost, then yes it makes sense to move on from Orton. Of course this means that you embrace the risk that Tebow is not the guy and this becomes a multi-year effort to rebuild and find that QB. If your position is that we should build this team back to respectability and playoff potential while we develop a QB, then you have to have Orton on the roster next year. Tebow could be the better option 6 months from now, but if played a game on Sunday we HAD to win, I'd play Orton 10 out of 10 times.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #22
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

the new GM is already on staff, he will just get a bigger role in the future.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #23
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
who doesn't like a wet dream in their throat?
My wife. To be fair that only started after she became my wife.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #24
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

What if John Elway's first order of business is to rehire Josh McDaniels?

He has always said he was impressed with Josh.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #25
Mile High Shack
Ring of Famer

Cock-a-doodle-do

Quote:
this....this whole microwave generation we got going on, wears on me sometimes
Mile High Shack is offline   Reply With Quote