The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 07:12 AM   #1
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default Nick Fairly, DT Auburn

Nick Fairly, DT Auburn

Who knows anything about this guy? McShay's Top-5 picks flashed across Sports Center, that was ours. Peterson was #3 to the Bills, FWIW.

Board consensus: Yay or nay?
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
kdissette
Pro Bowler

IN VON WE TRUST!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

i say nay...DT are a crapshoot that early
kdissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Marcel Dareus is our guy
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

Questionable effort early on in his college career. Disappears for long stretches, but has stretches where you're like whoa. Has a rep for not practicing hard. One good college year.

Should fit right in.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
cbtigers
Just Drafted

I went to Auburn and leave and breathe Auburn Football. Fairley did take plays off and did not get full effort his sophmore year (oh yeah, he didn't get to play as much last year because of this), but his position coach got him going this past spring and summer. He has dominated teams with his quickness and strength. He will be able to play in either a 4-3 or 3-4 defense.
cbtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Someone I know that actually watches college ball compared him to Pryce....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Marcel Dareus is our guy
He wouldn't be a bad pick, the guy was an absolute beast against Mich St. First time I focused on him was that game, and oh my was he impressive. The dude can get pressure on the QB too.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Marcel Dareus is our guy
This.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

We'll get to see Fairley against Oregon next week. In fact, he is the crucial piece of Auburn's effort. If he can consistently penetrate Oregon's backfield, that will mess up the lateral movement of their offense. Penetration is the key. I'll be interested to see how he plays on the big stage with a big responsibility.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #10
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

i would trade down to get him if he's the BPA on the board. you can trade down 4-6 picks and still get him. him being the #2 pick will be insane unless he tests off the charts at the combine.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #11
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

At #2 Fairley would be a terrible idea. To me he has all the traits of a DT who will underwhelm until a contract year, show inconsistent effort and motor, and not adapt well to a scheme shift.

Pryce seems like a fair comparison to me, and he was a disappointment for a late first rounder. I think Fairley would be a huge disappointment for #2 overall, and even worse if we try to play him in a 3-4.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #12
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Trevor Pryce was a disappointment? Wow. All Pro or nothing for some, I guess.
ayjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #13
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Nick Fairley is a total stud player who has gotten better as he took the game more seriously at Auburn. He is an explosive Under tackle One gap type. The comparison to Trevor Pryce coming out is pretty good, except Fairley is more explosive coming off the ball right now.

However, he is not going to ever be a 2 gap player happily. See, Albert Haynesworth. He does not have the natural mentality to play the 5 Tech in a 3-4 front. It takes a special kind of player to be that guy. Marcel Dareus has proven that at Bama, Fairley freelances too much and does not like to take on defenders straight up.

I would love him if DEN switches to the 4-3 front again, but pass if they stay in the 3-4. He is not the versatile player needed to run that scheme, but he sure is talented to be an UT.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #14
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Nick Fairley is a total stud player who has gotten better as he took the game more seriously at Auburn. He is an explosive Under tackle One gap type. The comparison to Trevor Pryce coming out is pretty good, except Fairley is more explosive coming off the ball right now.

However, he is not going to ever be a 2 gap player happily. See, Albert Haynesworth. He does not have the natural mentality to play the 5 Tech in a 3-4 front. It takes a special kind of player to be that guy. Marcel Dareus has proven that at Bama, Fairley freelances too much and does not like to take on defenders straight up.

I would love him if DEN switches to the 4-3 front again, but pass if they stay in the 3-4. He is not the versatile player needed to run that scheme, but he sure is talented to be an UT.
If we went 4-3, would you go for Fairley at UT or Bowers at DE…
Old 01-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #15
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayjackson View Post
If we went 4-3, would you go for Fairley at UT or Bowers at DE…
Fairley. DEN has two Impact DE's in Ayers and Dumervil. Bowers is a stud too, but he scares me more than Fairley Coming out. Plus, DEN needs a Dominant inside presence and has a solid group outside to rush the passer. The presence of Fairley inside with Dumervil and Ayers presents more problems than having 3 Legit DE's.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #16
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Agree 100%. I'm not sure I don't prefer Dareus as our pick either way due to the potential character / personality issues with Fairley. We can't miss with this pick and Dareus is much less risky. He always seems to play his best in the big games as well. But, damn, if I haven't loved watching Fairley play over the latter part of this season. Talented and mean.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #17
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Fairley. DEN has two Impact DE's in Ayers and Dumervil. Bowers is a stud too, but he scares me more than Fairley Coming out. Plus, DEN needs a Dominant inside presence and has a solid group outside to rush the passer. The presence of Fairley inside with Dumervil and Ayers presents more problems than having 3 Legit DE's.
So let's say they did revert back. Do you think Doom can hold up as a DE again?

DE- Doom
DT-Fairley
DT-Vickerson/et al
DE-Ayers

LB-Hagan
LB-Hopefully not DJ
LB-Hopefully not DJ
Old 01-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #18
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

The guy has a mean streak, and I like that. The potential down side is that he becomes Al Haynesworth--a talented and mean m-f'er who thinks he's above the team. I'm not saying that is likely but it's always a risk with guys that are supremely talented, poor, and mean as a copperhead snake.

If he lands in Denver--depending on who the coach and management team is--I will be pleased. He can dominate long stretches of game and is a quality run-stopper, so I would toss a coin between he and Dareus at this point.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #19
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Trevor Pryce was a disappointment? Wow. All Pro or nothing for some, I guess.
Pryce was a prima donna who epitomized what it is to be a "ME" player. He was always more interested in making records, the music kind not the football kind, than he was at winning football games.

He was worthless his first 2 years in the league, had two good years right before his contract was up, and then his production plummeted as soon as he signed a new deal.

Always played soft and inconsistent football. Considering Pryce a success shows how pitiful the DL play has been in Denver since the Crush days.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #20
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post

DE- Doom
DT-Fairley
DT-Vickerson/et al
DE-Ayers

LB-Hagan
LB-Hopefully not DJ
LB-Hopefully not DJ
I don`t think Haggan could play linebacker in a 4-3. He`s too big and too slow. DJ and Woodyard would be placeholders for now. Mays would become redundant too.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #21
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
I don`t think Haggan could play linebacker in a 4-3. He`s too big and too slow. DJ and Woodyard would be placeholders for now. Mays would become redundant too.
I would trade DJ for a snickers bar if I could.....
Old 01-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #22
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Pryce was a prima donna who epitomized what it is to be a "ME" player. He was always more interested in making records, the music kind not the football kind, than he was at winning football games.

He was worthless his first 2 years in the league, had two good years right before his contract was up, and then his production plummeted as soon as he signed a new deal.

Always played soft and inconsistent football. Considering Pryce a success shows how pitiful the DL play has been in Denver since the Crush days.
Well that seems like a harsh assessment, but I will defer. You are closer to things than I am and there was a lot less www 10 years ago.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #23
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post

DE- Doom
DT-Fairley
DT-Vickerson/et al
DE-Ayers

LB-Hagan
LB-Hopefully not DJ
LB-Hopefully not DJ
Converting back to a 3-4 would be an awful idea. Our best player (Dumervil) is far better suited to a 3-4. Our best defensive prospect (Ayers) is far better suited to a 3-4. The 3-4 is far better suited to today's NFL.

We should be talking about building around Dumervil and Ayers as cornerstones. It baffles me that people want to take the only bright spots on that unit and devalue them by running a 4-3.

In your above model we not only have Ayers and Dumervil devalued, but DJ not even on the field. Get Real.

While we're at it, let's convert Champ to safety, draft Peterson but convert him to WR, move Woodyard to safety, have Larsen play MLB and convert Joe Mays to FB.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #24
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Converting back to a 3-4 would be an awful idea. Our best player (Dumervil) is far better suited to a 3-4. Our best defensive prospect (Ayers) is far better suited to a 3-4. The 3-4 is far better suited to today's NFL.

We should be talking about building around Dumervil and Ayers as cornerstones. It baffles me that people want to take the only bright spots on that unit and devalue them by running a 4-3.

In your above model we not only have Ayers and Dumervil devalued, but DJ not even on the field. Get Real.

While we're at it, let's convert Champ to safety, draft Peterson but convert him to WR, move Woodyard to safety, have Larsen play MLB and convert Joe Mays to FB.
I prefer the 3-4 but was asking Med's opinion. I think DJ is a waste. When was the last time he made a game changing play/stop? Maybe what, once a season?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #25
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
Agree 100%. I'm not sure I don't prefer Dareus as our pick either way due to the potential character / personality issues with Fairley. We can't miss with this pick and Dareus is much less risky. He always seems to play his best in the big games as well. But, damn, if I haven't loved watching Fairley play over the latter part of this season. Talented and mean.
Dareus doesnt get pressure like this guy. On passing downs, his ability go get pressure could help Doom immensely as well as make everyone else on the field better. People are making too many assumptions about him not being able to play in a 3-4. Also, Dareus has been worse than Fairley at taking plays off.

Last edited by OrangeSe7en; 01-04-2011 at 08:54 AM..