The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 03:45 AM   #1
AmericanBroncFan

Default Luck looks like Ryan Leaf

He has that same face Leaf had. Is Luck going to implode the 1st time he has a bad game too?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2011, 03:58 AM   #2
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

I ddn't see any Leaf-like characteristics last night, but I will say that I was not blown away like some people in here seem to be, gushing over this guy like he's the greatest thing they've ever seen. I saw a QB who had a dominant running game supporting him make a number of passes that frankly didn't look that great. His ball seemed to consistantly wobble somewhat, and in the TD throw down the middle, he underthrew it so much the receiver had to wait for it and had a defender been any nearer, he'd have been tackled before he scored or had the pass broken up. He completed a lot of passes, but mostly they were to wide open receivers. I didn't really see him doing anything that makes you stop and go "wow". He looks steady, but unspectacular. It's only one game and you certainly can't judge on the basis of that, but I'm left asking what the huge fuss was about at this point.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:07 AM   #3
Bronco Yoda

I'd rather have Cam Newton if I had to choose. But that's just me.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:19 AM   #4
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I ddn't see any Leaf-like characteristics last night, but I will say that I was not blown away like some people in here seem to be, gushing over this guy like he's the greatest thing they've ever seen. I saw a QB who had a dominant running game supporting him make a number of passes that frankly didn't look that great. His ball seemed to consistantly wobble somewhat, and in the TD throw down the middle, he underthrew it so much the receiver had to wait for it and had a defender been any nearer, he'd have been tackled before he scored or had the pass broken up. He completed a lot of passes, but mostly they were to wide open receivers. I didn't really see him doing anything that makes you stop and go "wow". He looks steady, but unspectacular. It's only one game and you certainly can't judge on the basis of that, but I'm left asking what the huge fuss was about at this point.
My impressions exactly. I was underwhelmed considering the hype. And, Jaworski lost all credibility with me when he was gushing about him during a mediocre, at best, first half. It's like they want him to be great because he is highly rated whereas, with Tebow, it's the opposite. If that were Tebow last night, all the discussion would be about what he needed to work on.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:27 AM   #5
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
My impressions exactly. I was underwhelmed considering the hype. And, Jaworski lost all credibility with me when he was gushing about him during a mediocre, at best, first half. It's like they want him to be great because he is highly rated whereas, with Tebow, it's the opposite. If that were Tebow last night, all the discussion would be about what he needed to work on.
Very true. I also still do not get the wild eyed excitement over Jim Harbaugh. Yeah...he looks like a competent college coach who built a nice team in four years. But he's done this ONE TIME. In college coaching, you earn your place of respect for doing it over years, sometimes decades. We just got done paying for the mistake of hiring a guy with a very limited resume. Well this guy's got even less of a track record than McDaniels did. At least McD was on the staff with an NFL team that won Superbowls and he worked directly with the player most responsible. Harbaugh's primary claim to qualifications is that he was an NFL journeyman QB and he happens to have had two Heisman candidates on his team the last couple years. He may well be a good candidate but how do we know based on going 28-21 at the college level? He's very inexperienced at this point, and without the Luck factor, I have to ask if people would be this excited over him.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:00 AM   #6
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

I couldn't agree more. Was watching highligths this morning, and was overall un-impressed. Meanwhile Trent Dilfer was slob knobbing him saying he's the greatest prospect he has seen perhaps ever, it is only setting this kid up for failure. Hate to say it, just looks like a panzy to me.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:03 AM   #7
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

BREAKING: You can be a Tim Tebow fan and still think Andrew Luck is good.

Quite humorous that it's all Tim Tebow super fans doing everything they can to spin/downplay Luck's ability.

Just look at the avatars of the people who "aren't impressed" with Andrew Luck. Pretty obvious the agenda being pushed. I like Timmy Tebow too, I rock the avatar. But Andrew Luck is a good QB.

It's OK to say that, Tebow won't mind.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:11 AM   #8
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Leaf had the physical talent to be great....his jelly-fish mind and KC Chief like will and desire was his downfall.

Luck doesn't suffer from the same affliction. He will be great in the NFL (although he would definitely benefit from another year at Stanford). Go back and watch all his games.

Anybody evaluating him from one game or the way his face looks really should post less.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:15 AM   #9
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Thank you. Jeez the Tebow crowd is in full on hate mode if anyone mentions Luck. He wipes the floor with a very good Hokies team and suddenly it's "Luck is a product of a good team" and "Luck just threw to wide open guys." Boy guys, Luck sure is fortunate to have such a great team around him make up for all his mistakes. I mean we all know what a talent-stacked powerhouse Stanford always is.

There can be more than one good QB, and admitting someone is good doesn't make Tebow less good. Frankly it would have been nice to see Tebow hitting his "wide open receivers" two days ago.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:15 AM   #10
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post

Quite humorous that it's all Tim Tebow super fans doing everything they can to spin/downplay Luck's ability.

Just look at the avatars of the people who "aren't impressed" with Andrew Luck. Pretty obvious the agenda being pushed. I like Timmy Tebow too, I rock the avatar. But Andrew Luck is a good QB.

It's OK to say that, Tebow won't mind.
I didn't say he wasn't a good QB or that he won't be successful in the NFL. I just don't see where he is the can't miss, best prospect in years that he is being hyped to be. I also don't see where he is such a great prospect that, if given the chance, we draft him to be our QB over Tebow vs. drafting defense.
He is not on that level IMO.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:17 AM   #11
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I don't see how anyone watched last night's game and didn't think Luck looked great. Especially in the 2nd half. Baffles my mind.

I will say this, though. Stanford has the best O-line in the nation and probably by a wide margin. It does make things a lot easier back there.

I just love how Harbaugh built that team, and at Standford no less where grade requirements make it even harder. They don't even look remotely like what what a Pac-10 team usually looks like. I really hope Elway and him hit South Beach and bonded big time last night.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:20 AM   #12
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
I didn't say he wasn't a good QB or that he won't be successful in the NFL. I just don't see where he is the can't miss, best prospect in years that he is being hyped to be. I also don't see where he is such a great prospect that, if given the chance, we draft him to be our QB over Tebow vs. drafting defense.
He is not on that level IMO.
Have you watched any of his games? It sounds like you're basing this opinion off two things: Last night's game and your love of Tebow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
I don't see how anyone watched last night's game and didn't think Luck looked great. Especially in the 2nd half. Baffles my mind.
It's easy. They are Tebow fans and are threatened by Luck. Now we get great analysis like "he looks like Ryan Leaf" and "he throws to open receivers." I bet the entire scouting department shook their heads in disgust each time he threw to an open receiver. He better get that worked out before he goes pro.

Oh, and Wisconsin has the best O-line in college.

Last edited by Kaylore; 01-04-2011 at 06:23 AM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:22 AM   #13
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Stop picking on Luck! You're making his fans cry.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:23 AM   #14
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Is Luck a product of a good team or is good is a product of a Luck-y team?

meh....that's all I got.
ayjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:24 AM   #15
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Wow he is the most ANTI-LEAF person I've seen. This anti-Luck rhetoric is really comical. If everyone's favorite coach Josh McD wouldn't have traded all those picks to get a QB last year (TEBOW or not), all these same posters would be willing to sell there first born to get Luck.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:24 AM   #16
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Very true. I also still do not get the wild eyed excitement over Jim Harbaugh. Yeah...he looks like a competent college coach who built a nice team in four years. But he's done this ONE TIME. In college coaching, you earn your place of respect for doing it over years, sometimes decades. We just got done paying for the mistake of hiring a guy with a very limited resume. Well this guy's got even less of a track record than McDaniels did. At least McD was on the staff with an NFL team that won Superbowls and he worked directly with the player most responsible. Harbaugh's primary claim to qualifications is that he was an NFL journeyman QB and he happens to have had two Heisman candidates on his team the last couple years. He may well be a good candidate but how do we know based on going 28-21 at the college level? He's very inexperienced at this point, and without the Luck factor, I have to ask if people would be this excited over him.
I do agree that Harbaugh is this year's hot college coach and that he hasn't done it as a head coach for long at Stanford, but, he does have some NFL coaching experience and played for a lot of years as well. I did notice that Stanford had some excellent schemes and formations that resulted in huge gains in the run game and wide open receivers in the pass game. I don't think he ends up in Denver but I wouldn't be unhappy if he did.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:30 AM   #17
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Luck is good. He might be better than Tim, but how much better? Put a number on it.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:31 AM   #18
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Have you watched any of his games? It sounds like you're basing this opinion off two things: Last night's game and your love of Tebow.
Yes, I have watched about a half dozen of his games over the last two years and I am basing my opinion on the games I have seen including last night. And, yes, I have become a big Tebow fan. I was on the fence with him until I saw how hard he worked between the Senior Bowl and his pro day last year and was blown away by the amount of improvement he made in such a short time. Everything he has done since being drafted - his attitude, work ethic and his on-field performance, though limited, has only solidified my opinion.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:35 AM   #19
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Luck is good. He might be better than Tim, but how much better? Put a number on it.
The old saying, there are a number of ways to skin a cat. Well, Tim can be an effective NFL QB. He does have some serious flaws, the extended delivery that gives CB's a chance to break on the ball, he isn't the most accurate QB, but he has the heart, will power, the "intangibles".

I'd say Luck is much much more accurate, has a stronger arm, just as agile in the pocket, and is a smart QB. Does he have the same "leadership" skills, that is maybe the only negative compared to Tebow.

If I had my choice I'd take Luck, but I think the next coach we bring in will have a major influence if Tebow is the guy or not.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #20
hookemhess
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Blake Gideon

I really don't like the curdle in his voice. He sounds like Andre the Giant. PASS
hookemhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:43 AM   #21
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Hey guys!

Luck looks like Leaf? All right...

Whelp, see you later!
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I'm going to love bumping all these Tebow knob-slobber threads in a couple of years.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #23
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Yeah, he sure doesn't have Urban Meyer's record. Too bad Urban Meyer ISN'T INTERESTED IN COACHING. Yeesh.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:48 AM   #24
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcia bronco View Post
luck is good. He might be better than tim, but how much better? Put a number on it.
8 better.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #25
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Luck looks like your mom.

BOOM!
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote