The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Brandon Lloyd talks about the mid-season shake-up

Brandon Lloyd talked about the final days of McDaniel's on The Drive on Monday during hour 1. I thought it was interesting because he's the first player I've heard talk about what happened in the post mortem. Here is the transcript:

Dmac: Let me ask you then, Brandon. This is definitely a conflict for you. I mean if it weren't for Josh McDaniels, you might not be back in the NFL... How did it really go down, when everything was falling apart? How were the final days for you as a player, and what can you tell us from what you were seeing going on?

Brandon Lloyd: I don't know. It wasn't anything different. It was the same coaching, same coaching techniques. Nothing was changing. It wasn't like he was folding up the tents and letting the players run wild. He coached the way he coached up to the last meeting - in which he probably knew he was gone, but we didn't.

Dmac: Did the players suspect what was happening - what was about to happen? Was there talk about that?

BL: There was only talk about it after the film incident. After all that came out, then it was like 'alright... something is going to happen at the end of the year." Not "Next week." It wasn't something that we thought would be immediate. Because at the end of the year, we're all up for evaluation. We all can be traded, cut, released, done, whatever - and coaches are no different. At least I expected it at the end of the year, but not during the season.

Dmac: What was it like after it happened then?

BL: I think it was refreshing, guys were excited. Guys were happy for coach Eric (Studesville) - I think that is what brought most of the energy and joy to the locker room, as opposed to it being all sadness or guys like "damn right he should have been out a long time ago."

Dmac: It wasn't anger against (Josh)?

BL: Because we had someone to replace him that we were excited for. We were happy for him. We wanted to play for him. So it softened that up. And it was even the same thing with the Orton situation. It was like, "alright, he's hurt, his job has been given away," but then we're like "you know, we're excited to see what Tim has." It was a roller coaster season emotionally, but there were still things to be excited for, and there were things that we would play for.

Source:Drive Hour 1 - 1/3/11
It happened in the last 3 minutes closing hour one
http://www.1043thefan.com/podcasts/E....aspx?PID=1623
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Soounds likes the players were happy to see McDaniels gone.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Wow!
I just hope we'll never have a season like this one again.
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
Wow!
I just hope we'll never have a season like this one again.

Fans old enough to remember the 1960's agree.

I'm not one of them, but that decade had to be a rough one.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #5
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

The stuff about Josh is interesting, but I think the real news here is the stuff about Studesville. I mentioned it in another thread, but to hear a star player on the team talk about Studesville like this gives me pause about the coaching situation. I know people are clamoring for a big name, or a hot prospect, but from the looks of things, that isn't going to materialize. For my part, I think it's more important who you get as an OC and a DC once you've got a competent communicator in place as the HC. It appears that Studesville could possibly be that competent communicator.

I'm not sold on the idea yet, but I would find plenty to be optimistic about if the Broncos start listening to what the players are saying, and taking note of the love he receives from them. Lloyd said a lot about Studesville on the radio today, and nearly all of it was glowing about how he's such a consistent guy who has earned the respect of everyone in the locker room. He's not good cop, bad cop, but always a professional guy who sincerely cares about everyone in that locker room... Etc.

It's like I said in the other thread... I'm not yet sold on the idea, but I'm more sold on it today than I was yesterday.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Fans old enough to remember the 1960's agree.

I'm not one of them, but that decade had to be a rough one.

Yes and no. I've been told that they were just happy to get a team. Expectations weren't what they are today. It was certainly a rough time for the Broncos, but in the one cow town that Denver was at the time, it was great just to have a team to root for.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Yes and no. I've been told that they were just happy to get a team. Expectations weren't what they are today. It was certainly a rough time for the Broncos, but in the one cow town that Denver was at the time, it was great just to have a team to root for.

I was born in 1981, right before the "golden age" of Broncos football. From what my mom has told me, the 60's Broncos fans knew the team would be terrible, and it did not matter. My grandfather would have the Broncos games on the radio every sunday without fail.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:02 AM   #8
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
The stuff about Josh is interesting, but I think the real news here is the stuff about Studesville. I mentioned it in another thread, but to hear a star player on the team talk about Studesville like this gives me pause about the coaching situation. I know people are clamoring for a big name, or a hot prospect, but from the looks of things, that isn't going to materialize. For my part, I think it's more important who you get as an OC and a DC once you've got a competent communicator in place as the HC. It appears that Studesville could possibly be that competent communicator.

I'm not sold on the idea yet, but I would find plenty to be optimistic about if the Broncos start listening to what the players are saying, and taking note of the love he receives from them. Lloyd said a lot about Studesville on the radio today, and nearly all of it was glowing about how he's such a consistent guy who has earned the respect of everyone in the locker room. He's not good cop, bad cop, but always a professional guy who sincerely cares about everyone in that locker room... Etc.

It's like I said in the other thread... I'm not yet sold on the idea, but I'm more sold on it today than I was yesterday.
While I tend to agree with most of what you've said, I still think we need experienced leadership.
Stud is too raw for this undertaking...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
While I tend to agree with most of what you've said, I still think we need experienced leadership.
Stud is too raw for this undertaking...

I also think that we need experienced leadership. I'm not big on the idea of a prospect coming in at HC.

But this being said, It's good to know that there are reasons for optimism if things shook out in this direction.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #10
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

We need someone with big time coaching ability for our HC. He might be a great guy and coach but I doubt someone comes in a keeps him unless the FO wants him in some capacity in the offense. He does seem like a great guy to have the players around but I want a winner that is established in that position.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:48 AM   #11
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
No...it still sucked just as bad when they lost. Back then we had no playoff visits to discuss and it appeared we might never get one. The motto every year was, "wait till next year".

It took 28 years of me watching this team before they won the Superbowl. This is really nothing when you consider how fortunes can change so quickly.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #12
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Someone needs to transcribe later in the interview when Brandon gushes over Orton.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #13
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #14
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

That's great and all, but I remember how excited champ was to have Slowick as DC.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #15
BroncosMT
Back in Big Sky

When BL talks about the change being "refreshing" has to make one wonder how bad things were
BroncosMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #16
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:

Well the players were saying good things about Slowick too so I wouldn't put too much stock into it
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:14 AM   #17
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkporter View Post
That's great and all, but I remember how excited champ was to have Slowick as DC.
Yup, and players gushing about assistants during shakeups is very common. You almost have to dismiss what players say. It's not a popularlity contest, and "player's coaches" are often failures. You need to hire the best guy, not the most popular.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #18
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I guess I'll leak this: I have it on good authority that the players did not like McDaniels' system. Apparently when they say he "puts pressure on the players to make the plays" there was too much pressure. The pre-snap reads had to be near instantaneous and the amount of route combinations and their respective blitz adjustments were difficult for many of the players. It apparently is a very mentally taxing system and one that took a lot of the fun out of playing football offensively.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #19
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I guess I'll leak this: I have it on good authority that the players did not like McDaniels' system. Apparently when they say he "puts pressure on the players to make the plays" there was too much pressure. The pre-snap reads had to be near instantaneous and the amount of route combinations and their respective blitz adjustments were difficult for many of the players. It apparently is a very mentally taxing system and one that took a lot of the fun out of playing football offensively.
do you think they players couldn't "handle" it or was it just the way it was taught?
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #20
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
that would explain the team slide after the season's turning point (Raider Game)
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #21
Dutch
The Flying Dutchman

Leatherneck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Yup, and players gushing about assistants during shakeups is very common. You almost have to dismiss what players say. It's not a popularlity contest, and "player's coaches" are often failures. You need to hire the best guy, not the most popular.
Just remember that also so goes for the "Big name" coaches as well. People here in Atlanta pitched a fit when Mike Smith was hired, now they have one of the finest, steadiest, and stablest coaches and staffs in the NFL. Studes reminds me a lot of Mike Smith in his demeanor and the way he interacts with the players. I almost wish he had been given several more games this season to see how he handled it. As it is, I think he has done a good job in a tough situation and will gte a chance to interview for the gig. I wish him well as I feel like he is a good man.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #22
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:

Wasn't it Lloyd who when asked what his thoughts were on the new HC said, "who"?
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #23
Mile High Shack
Ring of Famer

Cock-a-doodle-do

Quote:
they were his hand picked guys for the most part too....interesting
Mile High Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #24
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
do you think they players couldn't "handle" it or was it just the way it was taught?
It wasn't about not knowing it. It was about how every play put a larger amount of mental stress on the players than they were used to or would enjoy in most other offenses. It wasn't that they didn't know what they were doing. It was that they were asked to do a lot, especially mentally, and it was stressful and taxing.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #25
Mile High Shack
Ring of Famer

Cock-a-doodle-do

Quote:
It wasn't about not knowing it. It was about how every play put a larger amount of mental stress on the players than they were used to or would enjoy in most other offenses. It wasn't that they didn't know what they were doing. It was that they were asked to do a lot, especially mentally, and it was stressful and taxing.
so what I'm hearing is, Patriots players can handle stress better than ours....that and they have Tom Brady
Mile High Shack is offline   Reply With Quote