The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!
Default Letter from Roger Goodell...

Just arrived in my inbox:

With one of the most exciting regular seasons now completed and the playoffs about to begin, let me first thank you and all NFL fans for your incredible support. Many fans have been asking me where we stand on signing a new collective bargaining agreement with the players union. Let me update you and be clear at the outset:

I know we can and will reach an agreement.

My goal as Commissioner now is to help our teams and players find a solution that is fair to everyone and ensures that football becomes more popular, accessible, and fun. We want the next decade to be the best yet for our fans, and I’m ready to work day and night to make that happen.

We've come a long way. Compare where we are today with 10 years ago. From player accountability to player safety, more and better television coverage, upgrading the in-stadium experience, innovations like the RedZone channel, the Draft in prime time and playing the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl, we are focused on doing what’s best for the players, teams, and fans. My priority is and always will be the game and the fans who love our game.

The NFL is great because fans care deeply about it. Economic conditions, however, have changed dramatically inside and outside the NFL since 2006 when we negotiated the last CBA. A 10 percent unemployment rate hurts us all. Fans have limited budgets and rightly want the most for their money. I get it.

Yes, NFL players deserve to be paid well. Unfortunately, economic realities are forcing everyone to make tough choices and the NFL is no different.

These are not easy negotiations, but the outcome can be positive. If both sides give a little, everyone, including fans, will get a lot and the game will improve through innovation.

Even in difficult economic times, a new CBA presents us with the opportunity to secure the future of our game. You may ask how will the NFL look under this vision?

A significant change would be to resolve fan complaints about preseason by modifying our 20-game format. Fans tell us they don’t like the quality of the preseason games, and we’re listening. An enhanced season of 18 regular season and two preseason games would not add a single game for the players collectively, but would give fans more meaningful, high-quality football.

Our emphasis on player health and safety is absolutely essential to the future of our game. We are strictly enforcing rules that protect players from unnecessarily dangerous play, especially involving hits to the head. We are changing the “play through it” culture to a “player-first” culture to ensure that if a player has a head injury, he doesn’t play again until his health is certain. We are also addressing the potential wear-and-tear on players in the way they train in-season and off-season.

It’s not just the health of players that concerns us. We must ensure the health of the league. That includes a new system that properly compensates proven veterans and retired players by shifting some of the outrageous sums paid to many unproven rookies. Earlier this year, Sports Illustrated published a list of the 50 highest-paid American athletes that included five 2009 NFL rookies. Every other athlete on the list was a proven veteran. In 2009, NFL clubs contracted $1.2 billion to 256 drafted rookies with $585 million guaranteed before they had stepped on an NFL field.

Don’t get me wrong: top draft choices will continue to be highly paid. All we’re asking for is a return to common sense in paying our rookies. Other leagues have done this and we can too.

These improvements and more will lead to better football, plain and simple. A forward looking CBA that is fair to players and clubs will lead to a great future for the NFL and our fans.

My job is to represent the game — the fans, teams, players, coaches and business partners. Protecting the integrity of the game and ensuring it thrives is a responsibility I take very seriously.

This is about more than a labor agreement. It’s about the future of the NFL. We have to improve and will be relentless in our quest. The commitment to our fans is to make the NFL experience even better in the years ahead. With a responsible CBA, we will fulfill that vision.

Happy New Year and enjoy the playoffs.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Translation: Lockout coming.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Yes please to the rookie scale. Perfect timing for the Broncos, no doubt.

And does anyone really want an 18 game regular season or think it is a good idea? To me, it has always sounded like a bargaining for owners that will never come to fruition.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Translation:

Well fans you are fonecoed. You see my job is to make my boss happy. I have 32 bosses, yes 32 bosses. So if I mess up I get 32 emails, phone calls, text messages, facebook comments, and a western union (Al get with the times man).

So my job is to not piss them off. Billionaires all the way! Go Team!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
And does anyone really want an 18 game regular season or think it is a good idea?
For the players' health? Probably not a good idea.

For the fans? Who wouldn't want it, for purely selfish reasons? If it's a choice between 2 preseason games or 2 regular season games, it's a no brainer. Especially for season ticket holders, who are already paying "regular season rates" to watch "exhibition level" football.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
Translation:

Well fans you are fonecoed. You see my job is to make my boss happy. I have 32 bosses, yes 32 bosses. So if I mess up I get 32 emails, phone calls, text messages, facebook comments, and a western union (Al get with the times man).

So my job is to not piss them off. Billionaires all the way! Go Team!
I guess I wasn't the only one to notice that Goodell forgot to put the new coversheet on all his reports. Maybe someone should re-send him that memo.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I like the rookie salary slotting. I don't like the 18 games. I say split the difference and go to 17 games so there will no longer be any .500 football teams; You either were a winning club or a losing one.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

He mentions absolutely nothing about the players demands or concerns, or their side in general throughout that email.

He only talks about concerns for their safety, stuff we already know about.

This is not good.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #9
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Anybody report it as SPAM just for the hell of it?
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
For the players' health? Probably not a good idea.

For the fans? Who wouldn't want it, for purely selfish reasons? If it's a choice between 2 preseason games or 2 regular season games, it's a no brainer. Especially for season ticket holders, who are already paying "regular season rates" to watch "exhibition level" football.

Yep, I always loved to pay big bucks to watch the fugging pre-season fiasco/ drills.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I like the rookie salary slotting. I don't like the 18 games. I say split the difference and go to 17 games so there will no longer be any .500 football teams; You either were a winning club or a losing one.
This.
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #12
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

I think the union can cave on rookie guarantee money, and I don't think the players have the money for a long lockout. There just can't be a lot of support amongst the maj of players for guys like Moss getting rich overnite. And there are too many preseason games as it is, but the league may not want to give up that revenue
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #13
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Go to 18 weeks, by inserting a second bye week. Everyone is happy.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #14
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
Go to 18 weeks, by inserting a second bye week. Everyone is happy.
I'm down, but can each bye week just have half the league so I don't get ****ered in my fantasy lineups? kthxbai
Old 01-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #15
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

They are way off from any agreement. I don't think the owners anticipate the increasing returns that the players have their eyes on. Avg NFL team pricetag should/will drop over the next 6 years some 30-40%. This is good and bad news for some teams as the ticket prices will fall but so will the number of really wealthy teams. Those teams that work to minimize contract losses will rise to the top. Regrettably, we have been very sloppy in Denverand now more than ever we need to quit making the bigger mistakes...hiring coaches, extending contracts to thugs, trading away talent, missing on our fa and draft picks.

In the 80s, it wasn't necessarily the equal level competition that we find in the NFL today and during any economic crisis that trendends and more efficiently managed teams rise to the top rather quickly....franchise teams are made. All things considered, football always does better than bball or baseball when the economy is in a consolidation period.

Last edited by Vegas_Bronco; 01-03-2011 at 10:52 AM..
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

do no goodell is ruining the league. They need to get him out of there and get a better comish. His rule changes that protect manning and brady but no one else are a joke. Also he's showing no leadership in how we get a team back in Los Angeles which IMO is important for the long term health of the NFL.

He's really bad at this. Him and Obama should take a fishing trip together.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #17
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
He's really bad at this. Him and Obama should take a fishing trip together.
Baja is working on this now....
Old 01-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #18
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
I guess I wasn't the only one to notice that Goodell forgot to put the new coversheet on all his reports. Maybe someone should re-send him that memo.
No, he got the memo but, uh, just forgot. But it's not shipping out until tomorrow, so there's no problem.
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #19
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
Yes please to the rookie scale. Perfect timing for the Broncos, no doubt.

And does anyone really want an 18 game regular season or think it is a good idea? To me, it has always sounded like a bargaining for owners that will never come to fruition.
Just put two of the preseason games in neutral cities where they would sell out at the chance to see pro football and give the option for season ticket holders to buy those "away" games.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #20
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...e1c8e385f960d8
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #21
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
"It's said to me when I meet with the union lawyers, they say, 'Mr. Richardson we want more money, more benefits and we want to work less,'" Richardson said. "Then they say, 'Let's begin the negotiations.'

"I'm not optimistic we're making a lot of progress."

reading that pile of **** from Goodell was like reading Bowlen's 'apology' to the fans about the Cutler trade.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #22
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
That last paragraph tells you all you need to know why Bailey had his contract removed.

The owners are almost into the realm of collusion.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #23
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

These guys, the players and the owners, are complete idiots if they allow this lockout to happen. I would be willing to be that some type of fan revolt would happen (as well it should) if they were to have zero football in 2011.

What a-holes. Billons of dollars and all they can do is b**** about making more.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #24
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
These guys, the players and the owners, are complete idiots if they allow this lockout to happen. I would be willing to be that some type of fan revolt would happen (as well it should) if they were to have zero football in 2011.

What a-holes. Billons of dollars and all they can do is b**** about making more.
The players are making more money on a deal that all the owners but one (Ralph Wilson) agreed to. Now the league wants them to give that money back. Would you?

The owners see a business model that doesn't work and has several flaws, including: bloated rookie contracts, a salary cap (and floor) that have increased exponentially against a figure that isn't tied to revenue or events like a recession. Does keeping any of that make a bit of sense to you?

You know who's fault this is? Paul Tagliabue's for strong-arming the owners into going along with it so he can say he resolved the issue on his way out of office. If they had listen to the detractors they'd have seen this was coming.

Last edited by Kaylore; 01-04-2011 at 01:49 PM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #25
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

No, I understand what you're saying, don't get me wrong.

I just think it would be incredibly stupid to allow a lockout or any stoppage of play to happen.

Its not fair to the fans, who pay the most for all of this. They are banking that the NFL fans would be forgiving and will all come flocking back without any thought after a year off.

Personally, I don't know that I would.