The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Shanny was reason Elway didn't join Broncos earlier

On my way to work this morning, sports radio was talking about the mess in Denver and reporting the news the Broncos have reached agreement with Elway to officially get on board. Guy said has inside source that informed him Elway has wanted to get on board for awhile now but something going on between him and Shanny kept that from happening. Didn't say what it was but I found that kind of odd and a bit shocking really. Why then when Shanny was let go did Elway not jump aboard then? Maybe he didn't want it to seem like he was involved in being part of the reason Shanny was let go? I don't know. I never even knew there was some type of under lying problem between Shanny and Elway. But this guy's source said there definitely was and it was the main reason why Elway was not brought on board many years ago.

Thoughts?
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2011, 11:44 PM   #2
extralife
Ring of Famer

Yeah, this came out a while ago. My guess is Shanny straight up told him that he wasn't qualified for any position with the team. Which would be true.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
schaaf

I don't know why they would have had a problem. This seems very odd
Old 01-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Yeah, this came out a while ago. My guess is Shanny straight up told him that he wasn't qualified for any position with the team. Which would be true.
I have a hard time believing that. ANY POSITION seems a bit far fetched but who knows, maybe Elway wanted something higher then what Shanny wanted to give him.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #5
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
If that was the case, how does he explain slowick?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:15 AM   #6
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
If that was the case, how does he explain slowick?
Bingo.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #7
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It doesn't necessarily mean there is/was any problem between them.

Shanahan was in complete control of the organization and I'd bet Elway was looking for a role with some authority. Which he never would have received with Shanahan at the helm.

I think Elway is going to play a bigger role making decisions on this team than people realize.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:40 AM   #8
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

If you did not hear this on the light rail, I call BS
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #9
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

If this was true, why would Elway not have been considered for something 2 years ago when Shanny got canned?
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #10
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
If you did not hear this on the light rail, I call BS
Ive been to denver a few times, but have never ridden the light rail.

I really need to do this, to get my updates.

When and where and which one should I right next time?
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:03 AM   #11
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

This is all speculation... my own suspicion might be: Shanahan wanted the three-peat bad... and everyone knows it would have been more likely to happen had John come back for one more year. Perhaps Shanahan was disappointed that John retired when he did. But no one can legitimately blame a veteran athlete for "going out on top" rather than sticking around until it seems he's "the last one to know it's time to hang up the cleats" (like Favre, Rice, and Marino).
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:16 AM   #12
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
It doesn't necessarily mean there is/was any problem between them.

Shanahan was in complete control of the organization and I'd bet Elway was looking for a role with some authority. Which he never would have received with Shanahan at the helm.

I think Elway is going to play a bigger role making decisions on this team than people realize.
It's gonna be interesting to see exactly what role he plays in the FO. Dude is not an idiot nor ignorant. He's fairly well tuned into what the team has right now, and has a decent grasp of the Nfl.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:19 AM   #13
uplink
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Perhaps Shanahan was disappointed that John retired when he did.
Yeah, and may be the finances played a role as well in some way people always get angry over money. I guess Reeves is still in the doghouse with the organization since Shanny, and Elway both hated his as* Personally I'd like to see Reeves and Shanny both honored by the organization in some way.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:28 AM   #14
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Ive been to denver a few times, but have never ridden the light rail.

I really need to do this, to get my updates.

When and where and which one should I right next time?
Just ride any leg and make what you want out of the experience, same as we all do. You're not gonna meet Elway, that's for sure. You'll meet plenty of interesting people.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:30 AM   #15
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink View Post
Yeah, and may be the finances played a role as well in some way people always get angry over money. I guess Reeves is still in the doghouse with the organization since Shanny, and Elway both hated his as* Personally I'd like to see Reeves and Shanny both honored by the organization in some way.
Reeves was a badass HC.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:41 AM   #16
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Just wondering why everyone assumes Elway is not qualified. Seems to me Ozzie Newsome did pretty well for himself; what experience did he have?

Not jumping on the Elway GM bandwagon or anything but you can't just assume he'll be terrible.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:57 AM   #17
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink View Post
A three-peat would have cemented Shanahan's coaching reputation and of course, would have affected his personal financial bottom line. (Shoulda actually had the three-peat anyway 'cause the Jags playoff upset should never have happened in '96). But from the perspective of February 1999, it's not hard to imagine that Shanahan's most fervent wish would have been for #7 to give it one more year (with a then-healthy TD, Sharpe, and Mobley, one more year for Elway would have made the Broncos heavy favorites to be the AFC representative in the SB).
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:02 AM   #18
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Just wondering why everyone assumes Elway is not qualified. Seems to me Ozzie Newsome did pretty well for himself; what experience did he have?

Not jumping on the Elway GM bandwagon or anything but you can't just assume he'll be terrible.
I think the only posters saying that John Elway is not qualified are those that have been GM's in the NFL and have real life college or pro football experience as well as a degree from Stanford and have been the President of an arena football league champion and owned a MULTI million dollar chain of car dealerships.

Personally I am shocked on how many of them there are here posting on the Mane
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:34 AM   #19
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
A three-peat would have cemented Shanahan's coaching reputation and of course, would have affected his personal financial bottom line. (Shoulda actually had the three-peat anyway 'cause the Jags playoff upset should never have happened in '96). But from the perspective of February 1999, it's not hard to imagine that Shanahan's most fervent wish would have been for #7 to give it one more year (with a then-healthy TD, Sharpe, and Mobley, one more year for Elway would have made the Broncos heavy favorites to be the AFC representative in the SB).
I don't know Blue. For years there have been rumors that Shanny actually made it very difficult for Elway to return almost urging him to leave. There was angst over Bowlen's affinity toward Elway. In Shanahan's eyes, he was the reason Elway won Superbowls, not the other way around. There was a story going around not too long ago, or maybe I was talking to someone from the Spring's media... anyhow, I guess it was a bit of slap in the face to Shanahan when Pat Bowlen raised the Lombardi Trophy and said, "This ones for John!" The fact that Elway never was around the Broncos after he retired seems to corroborate all the different rumors regarding Elway, Shanahan and Bowlen's relationship.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:47 AM   #20
ol#7

Shanahan said that if Elway wasnt willing/able to put in the time then there was no role for him. I fail to see how that is a rift, it was/is the truth and also the problem with what his new role is going to be. He isnt going to be a roll up the sleeves 12 hr workday executive. Dan Marino quit after 1 week with the dolphins because of the 'lifestyle changes' that the position demanded.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #21
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

How do people come up with staff like that?
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:53 AM   #22
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
This is all speculation... my own suspicion might be: Shanahan wanted the three-peat bad... and everyone knows it would have been more likely to happen had John come back for one more year. Perhaps Shanahan was disappointed that John retired when he did. But no one can legitimately blame a veteran athlete for "going out on top" rather than sticking around until it seems he's "the last one to know it's time to hang up the cleats" (like Favre, Rice, and Marino).
This is what I heard back after Elway retired. That Elway never "consulted" with Shanahan about his retirement, made the decision on his own, and it irked Shanahan presumably because of the above reason. Shanahan has an ego larger than most. I'm sure Elway wasn't going to run to Bowlen on January 1st 2009 and say here I am. I'm impressed on how he eased in. Hopefully after the April draft I'm still impressed.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:53 AM   #23
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

This has been common knowledge for years. Woody Paige mentioned this in '03, I wanna say.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:04 AM   #24
rocket88
Just Drafted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
I don't know Blue. For years there have been rumors that Shanny actually made it very difficult for Elway to return almost urging him to leave. There was angst over Bowlen's affinity toward Elway. In Shanahan's eyes, he was the reason Elway won Superbowls, not the other way around. There was a story going around not too long ago, or maybe I was talking to someone from the Spring's media... anyhow, I guess it was a bit of slap in the face to Shanahan when Pat Bowlen raised the Lombardi Trophy and said, "This ones for John!" The fact that Elway never was around the Broncos after he retired seems to corroborate all the different rumors regarding Elway, Shanahan and Bowlen's relationship.
According to the 'Talking Heads" on local sports talk radio in Denver, this is exactly what happened. Elway was on the fence about retiring and Shanahan was in favor of him doing it so he could show the world that he was responsible for the Super Bowl wins, not Elway.
rocket88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:09 AM   #25
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post

Ozzie Newsome worked as an executive under Bill Belichick in 1991-1995, followed the Browns to Baltimore, and worked his way up to VP of player personnel before being named GM in 2002.

Newsome is a classic example of a guy who worked his way up the corporate hierarchy.

As for the thread topic, does it really surprise anyone? Shanahan's primary focus is himself. Pretty much what you'd expect from anyone with his type A personality. After he gets the team over the hump the owner picks up the trophy and shouts "THIS ONE'S FOR JOHN!" Elway then rides off into the sunset after his second straight title, leaving Shanahan with Brister/Griese as his fall back in a title defense year.

So I doubt he was ecstatic with how his relationship with Elway the player wrapped up. He also likely was fully aware that Elway in the FO means less power for him as Bowlen clearly views Elway as the first citizen of Bronco Nation. There was no room for shared power in Shanahan's regime here, especially when that involves giving up some of the owner's mind-share to someone else.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote