The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2011, 06:42 AM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Coach Chronicles: Jim Fassel

Coach Chronicles: Jim Fassel

per wiki:
Quote:
Coaching career
Before 1998
Fassel began his career with assistant coaching stints at Utah State University and Stanford University, working with John Elway at Stanford. He also served as head coach of Utah.
Fassel has a long record of offensive success. He tutored prominent quarterbacks Phil Simms and John Elway. Prior to becoming New York Giants head coach, Fassel served as an assistant coach with the Arizona Cardinals, Denver Broncos, New York Giants, and Oakland Raiders. Jim Fassel's first pro coaching job was with the Hawaiians of the World Football League in 1974. He played QB and then moved to the sidelines. Fassel was an offensive assistant coach under Mike Giddings.

New York Giants

During Fassel's time as Giants head coach, his teams were known for numerous post-season runs in December and for winning big games, such as against the previously undefeated Denver Broncos in 1998. In 1997, he was named NFL coach of the year. He resurrected the career of quarterback Kerry Collins and received acclaim for his "playoff guarantee" in the 2000 season, during which he led the Giants to an improbable Super Bowl appearance.
However, his legacy as head coach for the Giants is mixed. Fassel's Giants were known for their disappointments against inferior teams in the regular season, as well as in the playoffs. The most notable loss was a shocking 39-38 loss to the San Francisco 49ers in the 2002 postseason, in which they blew a 38-14 third quarter lead. During the 2003 season, injuries decimated the Giants and he was fired amidst some controversy.
While coaching for the Giants, Fassel resided in Ho-Ho-Kus, New Jersey.[1]

Baltimore Ravens

Critics of Fassel have pointed to his lack of success after two seasons with the Ravens, in 2004 and 2005. During that time, the Ravens ranked near the bottom of the league in offense.
On October 17, 2006, Fassel was fired as offensive coordinator for the Ravens.[2]
Article from 2003 regarding Jim Fassel:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colum...-oconnor_x.htm

Phil Simms on Fassel, 2003:
Quote:
The guy can coach, no question. You don't have to ask John Elway, who believes Fassel shaped his Hall of Fame career. Absorb this testimonial from another Elway-era quarterback:

"The things I learned from Jim Fassel late in my career, if I could've known those things in college, I would've been setting records. As far as fundamentally teaching me how to play the position physically, Jim is the best I've ever been around. I took everything he taught me and used it."
Thoughts or more information on the guy?

Points in his favor:
1. Inexpensive
2. Ties with Denver Broncos
3. Experienced.
4. Coming off consecutive UFL Championships.
5. Successful QB Mentor

Negatives:
1. Been out of NFL for years
2. No SB Rings (positive when looking for new coach given history of hiring coaches with SB rings)

Last edited by tsiguy96; 01-07-2011 at 06:13 PM..
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Fassel wouldn't be my first choice as HC but I think he might be the oblivious choice. I think the organization wants Tebow to succeed as much as the fans do and will bring in an HC to maximize his potential. Fassel and Tebow will be a perfect match for each other and Elway knows first hand what Fassel brings to the table.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Elway knows first hand what Fassel brings to the table.
As QB coach.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Yup, let's just ignore that 2002 playoff and NFL career collaspe from then on...**** even the Raiders didn't want him and he still had some NFL HC cred at that time he practically begged Crazy Al for the job. Enough already.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Yup, let's just ignore that 2002 playoff and NFL career collaspe from then on...**** even the Raiders didn't want him and he still had some NFL HC cred at that time he practically begged Crazy Al for the job. Enough already.
No ****. The only asset to the team Fassel brings is that he'd be cheap.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Yeah but what is his policy on trading pro bowlers and cheating?
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I really like Fassel and I think he'd be great for the Broncos. I think he could grow Tebow just as well as McD. He's hungry, he's motivated, he's experienced and he's not an ego maniac who wants to meddle in all areas of the front office.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I really like Fassel and I think he'd be great for the Broncos.
But head coach? He hasn't been in that role since 2003, and he's been out of the league since early in the 2006 season. And he's not a young man any more at 61. I'd be fine with him perhaps as QB coach or maybe OC, but I'd like to think the Broncos could do better at head coach.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
But head coach? He hasn't been in that role since 2003, and he's been out of the league since early in the 2006 season. And he's not a young man any more at 61. I'd be fine with him perhaps as QB coach or maybe OC, but I'd like to think the Broncos could do better at head coach.
these are non issues, seriously, older coaches are successful because of their ability to weather harsh storms and grow the team. Also, who is a better candidate for the job? The Broncos are in a strange situation. They already have two fired HCs on the payroll. He's saying money is not an issue. He's saying all the right things.

Give the guy a shot. If the Broncos are serious about a real GM building the team, then let Fassel coach. Bring in a great DC to help him. Ego is not what the team needs right now!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
huh??
Back in the 5280!

...pretty good at lurking.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
Yeah but what is his policy on trading pro bowlers and cheating?
huh?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #11
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Bowlen is not going to hire a 61 yr old coach. especially not Fassel.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #12
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Bowlen is not going to hire a 61 yr old coach. especially not Fassel.
you got any proof of this?
Old 01-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

My first question if I'm conducting the interviews for HC is this: "How are you going to make Tebow a Superbowl winning QB?"

That's my first question. I think Fassel would have a great answer to that question because I think he'd be prepared to answer that question.

My second question is: "What do you think of the talent on our defense and how can we build on the talent we already have?"

Question 1.
Question 2.

I think Fassel would have a great answer for both questions.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #14
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Answer #2 scrap the lot of them and start over
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #15
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
My first question if I'm conducting the interviews for HC is this: "How are you going to make Tebow a Superbowl winning QB?"

That's my first question. I think Fassel would have a great answer to that question because I think he'd be prepared to answer that question.

My second question is: "What do you think of the talent on our defense and how can we build on the talent we already have?"

Question 1.
Question 2.

I think Fassel would have a great answer for both questions.
What is Bowlen doing?! your telling me all me that all bowlen has to do is find somebody that will tell him what he wants to hear & he'll have his next HC!. The last thing we need at HC is a yes man.

the first question should be: What can you do to make this team a superbowl winning team not only in the short term but in the long term? It should not be based on what he'll do in regards to Tebow. I know everybody has a hard on for him but our next head coach may or may not be someone feels tebow fits the system that he has.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #16
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
What is Bowlen doing?! your telling me all me that all bowlen has to do is find somebody that will tell him what he wants to hear & he'll have his next HC!. The last thing we need at HC is a yes man.

the first question should be: What can you do to make this team a superbowl winning team not only in the short term but in the long term? It should not be based on what he'll do in regards to Tebow. I know everybody has a hard on for him but our next head coach may or may not be someone feels tebow fits the system that he has.
then his system wont be in denver. cant invest in a 2nd 1st round QB in 2-3 years. the defense needs every bit of help it can get, wasting more picks on QBs wont solve that.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #17
Cool Breeze
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rock!

Quote:

I believe our next head coach will be hired with the premise of Tim Tebow being our QB

Pat Bowlen will hire a yes man to this. He will ride this pony.

Now we just surmise who'd be on board with this and narrow the list a bit.
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #18
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

that question is way too long and way too broad in scope. Nice try, glad your not on the staff, next.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #19
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I think Fassel and Fox for the next 5yrs isn't a bad combo. I still think they need a Qb guru to work with Tebow. Yes, Fassel may be good with QB's...but, as the HC he won't have the time that Tebow needs.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #20
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

anyway, my two questions already encompass your obvious question. If Fassel doesn't believe in Tebow then he answers along the line of "I don't think Tebow is a SB winning QB. I'm sorry, I think it's better if I work with Orton or another young QB."

If a coach doesn't think he can win with Tebow then why blow sunshine up the teams azz? Say what you think.

If Fassel says this, then he has to explain who he would in fact, make Denver a SB winning team, but with a different QB.

My questions are determined to get specific answers about what this potential candidate thinks about the team RIGHT NOW. Not in 3 years.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #21
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

If Fasell the potential HC candidate gets all wishy washy about Tebow, then he's not the guy for the job.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #22
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
these are non issues...
I think they're certainly issues, and even if not they are certainly at least considerations. Nobody in the league has employed the guy for almost five years and you don't think that's something to make you at least pause? Would you hire a plumber to do a job at your house who hasn't been hired in five years? And 61 (62 by the start of next season) is pretty old for a young man's game.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #23
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

fassel & Fox are very good coordinators but not very good HCs'.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #24
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I think they're certainly issues, and even if not they are certainly at least considerations. Nobody in the league has employed the guy for almost five years and you don't think that's something to make you at least pause? Would you hire a plumber to do a job at your house who hasn't been hired in five years? And 61 (62 by the start of next season) is pretty old for a young man's game.
we'll just agree to disagree
Old 01-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #25
serious hops
Developmental poster

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Kuper

serious hops is offline   Reply With Quote