The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Fab Four . . . and only four..

Talent-deprived Broncos facing major makeover

By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post

Posted: 12/31/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

The logo on their helmets is an orange-maned horse, but the Broncos might as well slap a big orange question mark in its place.

"Nobody knows who's going to be here, who's going to be making the decisions, who stays, who goes," Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said. "Nobody knows what kind of team this will be."

The first steps will be taken next week, when the team's assistant coaches are expected to be apprised of their futures and Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway joins the team in a front-office position. Evaluations of Broncos players hint at the second total makeover of the team since Josh McDaniels arrived in 2008.

The Denver Post contacted personnel executives from eight NFL teams to determine how they rank Denver personnel and how much work they believe the Broncos have in front of them in a multiyear rebuilding job.

It is something Broncos chief operating officer Joe Ellis alluded to when he said: "We know we have work to do."

Those personnel executives see an aging, thin roster facing a large talent deficit. Some of it is because of the number of moves McDaniels and the team's personnel department made with the more than three dozen players who were brought in or sent packing in his 22 months on the job.

Of the 53 players on the Broncos' roster, 40 arrived in the last two seasons. That's 74 percent of the roster, and there are another five players on injured reserve who were brought in by the team since the start of 2009.

The personnel execs also say that when the Broncos, under McDaniels, traded away players such as Jay Cutler, Peyton Hillis, Brandon Marshall and Alphonso Smith, they didn't get comparably ranked talent in return.

Teams, and some respected longtime talent consultants such as Mike Giddings, use a color-coding system to rank players. Often, a blue rating represents the elite at a position. Two teams said Bailey was the only Broncos player with such a rating. The other six said the Broncos do not have a "blue" player. On average, a successful playoff team will have three or more "blue" players.

The next level down is Pro Bowl level. The consensus was that Bailey, guard Chris Kuper, outside linebacker Elvis Du- mervil and left tackle Ryan Clady were the only Broncos on this tier.

All four of those players are holdovers from Mike Shana- han's tenure. Several teams said Clady did not quite play to that level this season because of offseason knee surgery, but they expect him to improve with another offseason to improve his leg strength.

The next tier down is that of a solid starter, a capable player who can be productive. None of those surveyed gave the Broncos more than 12 players on this

Read more: Talent-deprived Broncos facing major makeover - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz19kbEpE4F
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Yeah, we are a mess.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Killericon
YES A DT!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

I must admit, in the dark recesses of my mind, I cannot help but think that at the very least, if there's a lockout, it couldn't've been any more well timed for us.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Rookie quarterback Tim Te- bow and running back Know- shon Moreno, who was Mc- Daniels' first draft pick in 2009, were among players the personnel executives said they wanted to see more from. Most of those surveyed said they would put Moreno and Tebow just below the level of solid starter with the potential to move up.

Below that are the role players who add depth and can help a team play situational football. On this level, those surveyed agreed on running back Correll Buckhalter; wide receivers Jabar Gaffney and Eric Decker; linebackers Robert Ayers, Mario Haggan and Wesley Woodyard; safety Brian Dawkins; cornerback Syd'Quan Thompson; and cornerback/safety Nate Jones.

Read more: Talent-deprived Broncos facing major makeover - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz19keJUuyb
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

KM is rated just below the level of solid starter and Ayers is a depth guy. I guess they could have been complete out right busts. Would have been nice to get more out of our 1st round picks, maybe the next HC can get them to their true potential.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

On a positive note, I think Kuper would be a starter on any team in the NFL.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
vanbrugh
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Happy new year to you jeff too!

You know it's not as bad as it seems.....it never is!

Happy new year - god bless
vanbrugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I can't wait till next week. Should begin to create another off season of Orange Mane meltdowns and be very interesting to see the direction they go. Should be a quick off season.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler

Crucify the Ego

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Which is why I think it's so imperative that Champ Bailey finishes his career a Bronco. He is a very critical and reliable piece we can build around. Dumervil coming back from injury makes us instantly better. Those are the cornerstone pieces on defense. The rest of that unit needs an overhaul. Some players, like D.J. and Ayers, can flourish if we improve our defensive line. That would also improve our secondary just by improving the pass rush. But if we lose Bailey, that gives us one truly premiere player on defense to build on. And if we go back to a 4-3 that would somewhat hinder his impact as well. Offensively, I think we are much closer. Beadles and Walton will improve, they have shown flashes of what they can be but overall they've been inconsistent and lacked dominance, like most rookies. Clady and Harris can be bookends if they are both healthy. Injuries are a trend for Harris, unfortunately, but he is tough and tries to play through them. We are very deep and talented at receiver. Five deep, definitely a position of strength. Moreno is a difference maker and all around talent when he is healthy, which as we know has been an issue. We lack a vertical threat at tight end, and can't even really count on our tight ends in the receiving game at all. Could upgrade at fullback, improve depth and talent behind Moreno. Then it just depends on how Tebow develops. That side of the ball isn't nearly as dire. Three first round picks in the last two years dedicated to offensive skill positions. This team just needs massive upgrades on defense. That has to be the priority this offseason, no matter who is coaching or coordinating or in the front office.
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

But tsiguy told me that there was plenty of talent on this team
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:42 PM   #10
OrangenBlueOhio
Solid Starter

Orange Crush please, Mr. Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
He meant talent like "America's Got Talent".
OrangenBlueOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:46 PM   #11
TonyR
Franchise Poster

This might be the most disappointing part of the article:

At this level, there was some disagreement with a few teams offering that rookie center J.D. Walton and rookie guard Zane Beadles have potential to make a jump for next season, but none of the teams rank Walton or Beadles as long-term starters. The two rookies have started every game for the Broncos.

Read more: Talent-deprived Broncos facing major makeover - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz19kuhFAZL
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:22 PM   #12
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
This might be the most disappointing part of the article:

At this level, there was some disagreement with a few teams offering that rookie center J.D. Walton and rookie guard Zane Beadles have potential to make a jump for next season, but none of the teams rank Walton or Beadles as long-term starters. The two rookies have started every game for the Broncos.

Read more: Talent-deprived Broncos facing major makeover - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz19kuhFAZL
Walton was the second center taken in the entire draft. How about these front office people give the kid a little time before they go making bold predictions?
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:39 AM   #13
Boomhauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
Walton was the second center taken in the entire draft. How about these front office people give the kid a little time before they go making bold predictions?
I agree with the idea Walton could make a jump next season. He seems to have all the abilities, just isn't consitent, let alone dominant, yet. Beadles is another story. Big guy off the snap with the quickness to pull well, but very poor feet and balance. He's a liability in protection and can't engage when he does pull. ie: On Tebow's running TD against Houston, Tebow probably reversed because of Beadles' embaressing block ... or should I say stumble.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:47 AM   #14
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
I agree with the idea Walton could make a jump next season. He seems to have all the abilities, just isn't consitent, let alone dominant, yet. Beadles is another story. Big guy off the snap with the quickness to pull well, but very poor feet and balance. He's a liability in protection and can't engage when he does pull. ie: On Tebow's running TD against Houston, Tebow probably reversed because of Beadles' embaressing block ... or should I say stumble.
I think a big part of the problem is coaching. Who the hell do we even have "coaching" these guys?
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:06 AM   #15
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

"It is always darkest before the dawn."

There is some potential with the 2010 draftees.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #16
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Brandon Loyd?? Thomas??
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #17
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
Brandon Loyd?? Thomas??
The next tier down is that of a solid starter, a capable player who can be productive. None of those surveyed gave the Broncos more than 12 players on this level, far fewer than a playoff hopeful. This list includes quarterback Kyle Orton; wide receivers Eddie Royal, Demaryius Thomas and Brandon Lloyd; linebacker D.J. Williams; nose tackle Jamal Williams; cornerback Andre Goodman; and tight end Daniel Graham.

Read more: Talent-deprived Broncos facing major makeover - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz19nsfImvn
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #18
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Well obviously some people consider Lloyd Pro Bowl level...
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #19
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I think they put too much into what they believe to be talent and what is not. Both Walton and Beadles were in Mayocks top 5 for their positions...and last year was a deep draft. Everyone hate's Tebow...but, he just happened to be perhaps the best college football player of all time. Where do you think these idiots would have placed Ed McCaffery and Rod Smith?

Personally, I don't buy this crap...that it will take us years to turn this around.

Offensively: I think our offense is rich with talent...we need to improver our stable of RB's, draft a pass catching TE and allow our Oline to play together for another offseason. That can be achieved in 1 offseason!

Defensively: I think we can bring in a couple free agents to go with 4-5 rookies and the guys we currently have (DJ, Mays, Ayers, Mcbath, Bruton, Cox, Doom, Vickerson etc.). We should resign Champ to a 3yr deal. And ensure that 2-3 of those rookies can contribute right away. If we do this, this defense will go from last in the NFL to 10-15 in the NFL.

Special Teams: This area was not bad this year and should be even better next year.

So, with a top 10 offense, a much improved defense and quality special teams. I really feel we can challenge for the division and the playoffs next year. Sure, a couple years should make us even better...but, we can get back into this next year if we work hard at achieving it the right way. Screw all these "Other Teams" personnel evaluators!!!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #20
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
And that we were signing studs left and right!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #21
19Morton77
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Well, thanks to McDaniels, we are totally stacked!
19Morton77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #22
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
I think they put too much into what they believe to be talent and what is not. Both Walton and Beadles were in Mayocks top 5 for their positions...and last year was a deep draft. Everyone hate's Tebow...but, he just happened to be perhaps the best college football player of all time. Where do you think these idiots would have placed Ed McCaffery and Rod Smith?

Personally, I don't buy this crap...that it will take us years to turn this around.

Offensively: I think our offense is rich with talent...we need to improver our stable of RB's, draft a pass catching TE and allow our Oline to play together for another offseason. That can be achieved in 1 offseason!

Defensively: I think we can bring in a couple free agents to go with 4-5 rookies and the guys we currently have (DJ, Mays, Ayers, Mcbath, Bruton, Cox, Doom, Vickerson etc.). We should resign Champ to a 3yr deal. And ensure that 2-3 of those rookies can contribute right away. If we do this, this defense will go from last in the NFL to 10-15 in the NFL.

Special Teams: This area was not bad this year and should be even better next year.

So, with a top 10 offense, a much improved defense and quality special teams. I really feel we can challenge for the division and the playoffs next year. Sure, a couple years should make us even better...but, we can get back into this next year if we work hard at achieving it the right way. Screw all these "Other Teams" personnel evaluators!!!

Mmmkay. And how exactly do you "ensure" rookies contribute?
Old 01-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #23
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Mmmkay. And how exactly do you "ensure" rookies contribute?
You draft studs and you plug them in! We should be able to get at least 2 of those guys in this draft.

On another note:

Here's an article on Walton and Beadles:

http://www.dailycamera.com/broncos-n...555?source=rss
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #24
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Still a crapshoot Hamrob. You never know how a rookie is going to perform at the next level. Aaron Curry was considered a can't miss prospect and would be a plug and play guy from day one... he struggled. Just over 50 tackles from the #4 overall pick and a guy that most considered the "safest" can't miss prospect.

The list of Defensive Lineman that couldn't come in and contribute as rookies is long as well. I mean, look at Dwayne Robertson.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #25
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post

Pro Football Focus has him ranked as the 2nd worst center in the NFL
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote