The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2010, 07:22 AM   #1
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis
Default Our Back-up QB of the Future

Because I became a Broncos fan in the mid-1980s, I've always liked the idea of having a long-term back-up quarterback, a la Gary Kubiak. Since it seems a very real possibility that Tebow will be the franchise for the next 10 years, I think it would behoove us as an organization to draft and groom the Heir's Spare Apparent -- a player that can grow up with Tebow, meshes well with his style of play, and serves as a good teammate while riding the bench.

If I'm the GM of the Broncos, I'm drafting Colin Kaepernick in the 3rd round -- read the article, and you'll see what I mean:

"He's your All-American kid," Nevada athletic director Cary Groth said. "He's a young man that you're proud to take anywhere. He gets it. He understands what it means to attend a university, to get a degree and to be the star of the football team. I've seen him time after time after time, say, at a women's basketball game, he'll sign autographs and take pictures with kids and adults, and he smiles naturally. It never gets to his head.
"When you've got a kid like him, you've hit the jackpot. And I think we have plenty of them. It comes from Coach (Ault) and keeping him grounded. He's a special young man from a special family. We're blessed to have him at the University of Nevada. He'll be a part of our family for the rest of his life."

http://www.rgj.com/article/20101226/...58/1018/sports

Last edited by BowlenBall; 12-30-2010 at 07:30 AM..
BowlenBall is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

With all our pressing needs all over the field, you want to use our 3rd rounder on a QB?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Here's another article on Kaepernick which explicitly mentions Tebow:

"His mechanics need to be fine-tuned,'' said one scouting report. "His wind-up takes a while, as he brings the ball in from a low angle, almost his hip. That may not matter in the WAC, but the NFL is a whole different game.''
Tim Tebow got his share of knocks for the way he threw at Florida. Sunday, Tebow was the starter for the Denver Broncos. What should count is the ability to make plays. The 6-foot-6 Kaepernick has made them for four years.

http://www.realclearsports.com/artic...ret_97166.html
Old 12-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
With all our pressing needs all over the field, you want to use our 3rd rounder on a QB?
Orton's most likely gone, Brady Quinn has shown less than zero, and Tebow is always one play away from getting injured -- if the first 3-4 picks are all on defense, then why not?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatFan View Post
Orton's most likely gone, Brady Quinn has shown less than zero, and Tebow is always one play away from getting injured -- if the first 3-4 picks are all on defense, then why not?
Its not necessary to take a project QB in the third round that you view as a lifetime back up. Id rather just go with veterens personally
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
Cmac821
Harden by loss

Can't wait for next year

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fox Mulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Its not necessary to take a project QB in the third round that you view as a lifetime back up. Id rather just go with veterens personally
unless it is Ramsey, that guy was awful. I like having a young back-up but since the starter is young it might be better to go veteran that couldn't cause a QB controversy.
Cmac821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think Quinn's our backup.

But what about the starter? Doesn't anybody think that, especially if we bring in Elway and Harbaugh, we don't try to move our first and Tebow to Carolina for Luck?

I don't think Carolina would unless there were rumblings he wouldn't go to Carolina.

I like Tebow, but I might like Luck a fair bit more.
ayjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Defense Defense Defense
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
Cmac821
Harden by loss

Can't wait for next year

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fox Mulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Defense Defense Defense

keep at it
Cmac821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Here's the Nevada player I would rather the Broncos take in the third.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1272677
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #11
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Here's the Nevada player I would rather the Broncos take in the third.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1272677
If he makes it to the third round, he is hurt or something happened in the offseason!
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #12
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
If he makes it to the third round, he is hurt or something happened in the offseason!
Sooooo.... that's who you'll be targeting in the OM Mock Draft this year?
Old 01-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #13
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

More on Kaepernick:

“He is a special quarterback. Up until this year he was a thrower; now he’s a passer. There is absolutely no question in my mind we will see him on Sundays. In my mind, he’s that diamond. When the scouts come out and see him, they don’t trade notes when they leave.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/c...nHerald.com%29
Old 01-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #14
OrangeSe7en

Depending on how much he will cost, the Broncos should look into Alex Smith. He comes from the same system as Tebow, is also mobile, and is incredibly intelligent. If Tebow were to get hurt, the offense wouldnt have to drastically change if Alex Smith is the backup.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #15
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
Depending on how much he will cost, the Broncos should look into Alex Smith. He comes from the same system as Tebow, is also mobile, and is incredibly intelligent. If Tebow were to get hurt, the offense wouldnt have to drastically change if Alex Smith is the backup.
I'll cosign that! He can probably be had for Chris Simms-type money, around $2 - 2.5 million per year....
Old 01-28-2011, 06:32 AM   #16
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Not to toot my own talent-evaluating horn, but....

ProFootballTalk NBC Sports
Posted by Evan Silva on January 27, 2011, 3:44 PM EST

In 2006, Jay Cutler took the Senior Bowl practice field after starting all four years at Vanderbilt. In his final start, Cutler engineered a 28-24 upset of Tennessee, giving the Commodores their first victory over the Vols in 15 years. Observers knew of Cutler’s impressive arm and athleticism, but he lacked a high profile because Vandy didn’t win much.

Cutler went on to blow away scouts in Mobile with his quick release, accuracy, and arm power. He earned the Senior Bowl start for the North squad, winning 31-14. Three months later, Cutler was selected with the 11th pick in the draft.
In 2011, Nevada quarterback Colin Kaepernick took the Senior Bowl practice field as a four-year college starter coming off impressive wins over undefeated Boise State and Boston College in the Fight Hunger Bowl.

Observers knew Kaepernick could throw a baseball 95 mph and was a former Cubs draft pick. They also knew of Kaepernick’s athleticism. He averaged 6.85 yards per college rushing attempt, joining Missouri’s Brad Smith as the only players in NCAA history to top 8,000 yards passing and 4,000 rushing. Onlookers questioned Kaepernick’s ability to play in a pro-style offense coming from Nevada coach Chris Ault’s pistol spread.

Like Cutler in ’06, Kaepernick appears to have silenced doubters.
According to FOX Sports’ Adam Caplan, Kaepernick was “great” on Monday and “by far” the best quarterback in practice on Wednesday. CBS’ Rob Rang noted Kaepernick’s “spectacular” arm strength. Rotoworld’s Michael Schottey observed that Kaepernick “threw the ball as well as anyone,” generating “buzz from team scouts.”

Asked about more heralded Washington QB Jake Locker, NFL.com’s Pat Kirwan replied “The kid from Nevada … has shined on top of him a little bit.”
Of course, NFL Network’s Mike Mayock already knew about Kaepernick’s “huge” arm. At the 2010 Manning Quarterback camp, Mayock recalled seeing Eli and Peyton so awed they were “giggling” about the 23-year-old’s howitzer. Said Mayock after watching one of Kaepernick’s Thursday throws, “Did you see the RPMs there? Man, I’d love to work with that kid.”
Kaepernick entered the Senior Bowl with a middle-round projection. Could he make a Cutler-like jump into the first round?
The arrow seems to point in that direction.

In Tony Pauline of SI.com’s blog, Kaepernick is already suggested as second-round prospect while reportedly drawing significant interest from the Dolphins and Vikings. Citing a league source, the Palm Beach Post seconds Pauline’s report in saying the Dolphins “think very highly” of Kaepernick.
The Sacramento Bee‘s Matt Barrows capped it with this clincher:
“One scout told me (Kaepernick) might have made the most money of any Senior Bowl player this week.”

I say that if he's there with our 3rd-round pick, we pull the trigger and be set at back-up QB for the next 4-5 years....
Old 01-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #17
RocBronc
Pro Bowler

With this buzz, the chance of him being there even early in the 3rd round is essentially nil...
RocBronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:48 AM   #18
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocBronc View Post
With this buzz, the chance of him being there even early in the 3rd round is essentially nil...
Yeah... unfortunately, you're right. Thought there was a real good chance of getting him on the cheap a few weeks ago, but not anymore.

The funny thing is, I'd be pretty pissed if we took him with one of our 2nd rounders, given how many needs we've got on defense. But like I said, if he's still there in the early 3rd, go ahead and pull the trigger.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #19
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Kaepernick's stock soaring after Senior Bowl
After watching Colin Kaepernick in Mobile, FOX Sports' Adam Caplan believes the Nevada quarterback has a chance to be drafted in the first round.
According to Caplan, Kaepernick was "clearly the best quarterback out of the six (on both Senior Bowl squads) and it's not even close." Kaepernick is picking up steam as a mid to late first-rounder in a rise similar to Jay Cutler's in 2006 and perhaps Josh Freeman's in 2009. Said NFL Network's Mike Mayock after seeing Kaepernick throw, "It's like watching Nolan Ryan." Jan. 28 - 1:35 pm et
Source: FOX Sports
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #20
primetime714

Not that I expected us to draft a QB but it looks like Kaepernick is rising out of our range. Personally I'm pretty ok with Brady Quinn as our backup. He's not very good, but a backup QB is something you worry about when you're winning or when you're looking for a new starter. Unless the team is unsure about Tebow and wants to start looking for a potential replacement now I see no reason to use any significant resources on the backup QB spot.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #21
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

I like the idea. But i like Quinn as a backup soooo Mathews with that 3rd.
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

sounds like he's a really good kid and perhaps too talented to sit on the bench. The Broncos have a back up in Quinn already.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #23
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
sounds like he's a really good kid and perhaps too talented to sit on the bench. The Broncos have a back up in Quinn already.
Aaron Rodgers sat on the bench for what... 4 years? And given that Tebow's playing style lends itself to lots of bumps and bruises, we may need some quality depth there.

Personally, I think that if he's there for our 3rd round pick, we should go for it (but I think he'll go in the high 2nd).
Old 02-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #24
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

if we take a QB in the 3rd round i am going to want to punch a baby
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #25
thumpc
Perennial Pro-bowler