The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
prunch
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default So Where Does Orton Get Traded to? .... and for what?

Not an Orton hater .... like the guy actually but I think the writing is on the wall.

I say Orton goes to Seattle or Minny for a 2nd. For his flaws he did throw for some good yardage with no running game so it has to count for something.

Any other guesses or input?
prunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

He gets traded for the search function!

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=95955
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
He gets traded for the search function!

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=95955
Terrible value. It'd be like McDaniels never left!
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Normally, I'd say he should stay as a backup, but at $9M, he's too pricey. I would think the team would approach him to restructure first, then consider a trade (not sure what kind of market he'd actually have--maybe Oak, KC or SD?), then cut the guy.

Dude's been a good soldier but there's no place for him here at that salary.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I don't see anyone giving up more than a 4th for Orton. If we were to get a 2nd...I'd be shocked and estatic!

The pros for Orton are that he's heading into his prime (6th season in 2011), he's a team guy, and he can managed an offense. Additionally, he can make all the throws and he won't make alot of mistakes. Upside could be that of Ken Anderson.

The cons for Orton are that he's not a Superstar and he won't elevate the team or win games on his own.

That being said, a team like Minnesota or Arizona would be back in the playoff hunt with Orton at the helm. Other teams to consider could be Carolina...while they groom Luck, Tennessee to take Collins place and back up VY or Buffalo as insurance for Fitzpatrick.

The problem I see, is that only Minn and Az would want him potentially to start. Any other team would not spend a high draft pick on a backup QB. And, you have to figure...teams will be betting that we cut Orton. Why? Because we're not going to pay him $8m to ride the pine next year. So, why trade for him...when Denver will cut him come March.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Normally, I'd say he should stay as a backup, but at $9M, he's too pricey. I would think the team would approach him to restructure first, then consider a trade (not sure what kind of market he'd actually have--maybe Oak, KC or SD?), then cut the guy.

Dude's been a good soldier but there's no place for him here at that salary.
There is no way he stays on as Tebow's backup.

His contract is non-guaranteed so I think its very possible he'll just be cut. Up until a few weeks ago I figured you'd probably be able to squeeze a mid-round pick (late 3rd to late 4th) out of someone for him. But with how disastrous his last couple games were it won't be so easy.

That said, Sage Rosenfels was actually traded for draft compensation not so long ago in this league so there is definitely hope. If we wind up picking 2nd and both Luck and Newton jump out we might be able to be the first call QB needy teams make. Shouldn't be impossible to find someone willing to take Orton as a mid-round consolation prize if they lose out on buying the #2 spot from us.

From a system standpoint I think Arizona would be a great fit for him.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #7
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
There is no way he stays on as Tebow's backup.

His contract is non-guaranteed so I think its very possible he'll just be cut. Up until a few weeks ago I figured you'd probably be able to squeeze a mid-round pick (late 3rd to late 4th) out of someone for him. But with how disastrous his last couple games were it won't be so easy.

That said, Sage Rosenfels was actually traded for draft compensation not so long ago in this league so there is definitely hope. If we wind up picking 2nd and both Luck and Newton jump out we might be able to be the first call QB needy teams make. Shouldn't be impossible to find someone willing to take Orton as a mid-round consolation prize if they lose out on buying the #2 spot from us.
I had the impression that about 5M of it was guaranteed. Good point about Sage. Anything greater than a 4th would be a steal, IMO.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

sage was traded to be solid depth and compete at starter, and was traded for a 4th. orton will be traded to BE a starter in this league. atleast a 3rd for him.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
enjolras
Ring of Famer

I think everyone on this board is hugely undervaluing proven QB's in the NFL. Orton is far better than people around here want to give him credit for. I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised by the demand. He's a relatively young, efficient, and dependable Quarterback. I expect similar value to what New England got for Matt Cassel (a 2nd rounder I believe).
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

I afraid we might have to trade him for another teams turd that hasn't work out and try to polish it...... deja vu all over again
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

My guess would be Minnesota or maybe Arizona, hopefully for a 3rd or (God willing) a 2nd.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #12
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

You trade Orton for say a 4th round pick in 2011.. an maybe a conditional 5th round pick in 2012. So if he gets traded to the Cards and Orton takes them to the playoffs..the 5th round pick becomes a 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2012.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #13
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
I don't see anyone giving up more than a 4th for Orton. If we were to get a 2nd...I'd be shocked and estatic!

The pros for Orton are that he's heading into his prime (6th season in 2011), he's a team guy, and he can managed an offense. Additionally, he can make all the throws and he won't make alot of mistakes. Upside could be that of Ken Anderson.

The cons for Orton are that he's not a Superstar and he won't elevate the team or win games on his own.

That being said, a team like Minnesota or Arizona would be back in the playoff hunt with Orton at the helm. Other teams to consider could be Carolina...while they groom Luck, Tennessee to take Collins place and back up VY or Buffalo as insurance for Fitzpatrick.

The problem I see, is that only Minn and Az would want him potentially to start. Any other team would not spend a high draft pick on a backup QB. And, you have to figure...teams will be betting that we cut Orton. Why? Because we're not going to pay him $8m to ride the pine next year. So, why trade for him...when Denver will cut him come March.
Whitehurst was traded for a 3rd and he's a scrub. I know Orton is no world beater, but he would walk into camp as a solid starter for a number of teams next year. I would be shocked if we did not get at least a 3rd - preferably a 2nd.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
ro_50
Ring of Famer

If he's traded, maybe a 5th or at best, a 4th.
ro_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #15
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Vote here: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=95955
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #16
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBen View Post
You trade Orton for say a 4th round pick in 2011.. an maybe a conditional 5th round pick in 2012. So if he gets traded to the Cards and Orton takes them to the playoffs..the 5th round pick becomes a 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2012.
If Orton gets traded to the Cards and takes them to the playoffs, The Mane will make what Jim Jones did in Guyana look like small potatoes
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #17
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Why not make him the backup? He won't get **** on the open market.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #18
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I think everyone on this board is hugely undervaluing proven QB's in the NFL. Orton is far better than people around here want to give him credit for. I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised by the demand. He's a relatively young, efficient, and dependable Quarterback. I expect similar value to what New England got for Matt Cassel (a 2nd rounder I believe).
^this
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #19
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Unlike that beast of a QB Charlie Whitehurst...
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #20
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
We could...but it's doubtful we'd pay him $9 million to carry a clipboard. If we ask him to restructure, he probably would not cooperate so he could force a trade or release that would allow him to go somewhere he'd have a chance to start. It seems a lot of folks are missing Minnesota as a possible destination. He's a decided upgrade over Jackson. Even if they draft a QBOTF they will want a veteran bridge, like Orton, since they have a veteran roster capable of winning right away.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #21
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

its still baffling to me that orton doesnt get the respect hes earned. hes not a top 5 QB, but to act like hes not in the top 32 QBs of the NFL is nuts. he will start somewhere next year, barring injury. "
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #22
vercingetorix

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
Whitehurst was traded for a 3rd and he's a scrub. I know Orton is no world beater, but he would walk into camp as a solid starter for a number of teams next year. I would be shocked if we did not get at least a 3rd - preferably a 2nd.
This. Denver should be looking for a 2nd for Orton.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #23
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

I bet Miami will give him a long look
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #24
vercingetorix

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelbeef View Post
I bet Miami will give him a long look
Miami, Minnesota, Carolina, Arizona and possibly a few others are all places.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #25
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vercingetorix View Post
Miami, Minnesota, Carolina, Arizona and possibly a few others are all places.
I could see Minnesota really easily. They've got a well built team that needs a QB that won't **** up.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote