The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default Switching Ryan Clady

In the light of Tebow's performance today, it's obvious that unless we somehow pull off the impossible and snag Luck, thus pushing him out the door (which I can't see happening now) one result of Tebow earning the starting job for next season has to be serious consideration for moving Clady to his blind side where Harris is the starter when healthy. If Clady's healthy, he's a great pass blocking tackle, so he has to be considered for the move. But team's usually rely on running right behind an earth mover who usually has slower feet but they're stouter blocking for the run. Clady's main weakness has been run blocking, or at least the thing he's needed to get better on before his injury limited him this year.

Assuming it happens, what impact on the running game would it have? And second, since most teams put their best pass rushing DE on the QB's left, this means we're likely to see Harris facing a lot more stud pass rushers than he has before because I doubt most opponents will try to move a guy used to rushing from the left to the other side just for us. Clady, on the other hand, will face bigger, more physical DE's who are tougher against the run. Given this possibility, what does this mean for our draft strategy? It appears both Clady and Harris might be asked to play what each (at this point anyway) would probably consider a spot out of position for them.

Discuss...
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Not gonna happen. Clady will stay on the left side. Besides, we will have Kubiak soon and he will be rolling to Clady's side. Gonna need him there!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:24 AM   #3
Drek
Ring of Famer

Are opposing defenses going to flip their best pass rushers to the opposite side? Not likely. They don't for other left handed QBs. So why would we flip our best pass blocker?

Besides, if Clady is doing his job he's the best candidate to keep Tebow's release valve of running the ball open when a play breaks down.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:28 AM   #4
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Are opposing defenses going to flip their best pass rushers to the opposite side? Not likely. They don't for other left handed QBs. So why would we flip our best pass blocker?

Besides, if Clady is doing his job he's the best candidate to keep Tebow's release valve of running the ball open when a play breaks down.
This.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:31 AM   #5
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Team's don't move tackles based on which arm their QB throws with for a variety of reasons. One is defense's don't really move their defensive ends around so much. The other is to keep continuity. It is very difficult to learn the other side.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:41 AM   #6
Jay3

Quote:
Correct. This has been brought up 1,000 times. The best tackle plays the left because the pass rush is designed for that side, because most teams have righties.

Think of it as the "Lawrence Taylor Rule."
Old 12-27-2010, 05:54 AM   #7
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
Correct. This has been brought up 1,000 times. The best tackle plays the left because the pass rush is designed for that side, because most teams have righties.

Think of it as the "Lawrence Taylor Rule."
I thought that was "Don't do crack!"
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:14 AM   #8
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncogary View Post
Awesome.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:15 AM   #9
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
I've got a feeling DC's will be specifically game planning to stop Tebow, which is why I suspect attackling from the blind side with your best pass rusher is a strategy we might see. What I"m really wondering, is whether any other lefty QB's in the league have their pass blocking schemes reversed to accomodate them...if anyone knows.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:16 AM   #10
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Quote:
Win.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:18 AM   #11
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I've got a feeling DC's will be specifically game planning to stop Tebow, which is why I suspect attackling from the blind side with your best pass rusher is a strategy we might see. What I"m really wondering, is whether any other lefty QB's in the league have their pass blocking schemes reversed to accomodate them...if anyone knows.
They'll probably be having their ends play contain quite a bit, which means leaving your fastest most athletic end where he is because Tebow being left handed will mean a lot of roll-outs and escaping to that side.

I just realized how weird that is going to be since we've never had a south-paw running a bootleg in Denver.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:19 AM   #12
Jay3

Quote:
Yes, anyone knows. No, they don't switch their blocking schemes. No, defenses don't switch. It's a big deal for a player to switch sides. And the "blind side" advantage is only a small one.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:20 AM   #13
Jay3

Quote:
No, it's "Always share the crack!"
Old 12-27-2010, 06:37 AM   #14
Cmac821
Harden by loss

Can't wait for next year

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fox Mulder

Quote:
And the "blind side" advantage is only a small one.
until they get free shot at the QB in the back
Cmac821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:40 AM   #15
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Yes, anyone knows. No, they don't switch their blocking schemes. No, defenses don't switch. It's a big deal for a player to switch sides. And the "blind side" advantage is only a small one.
Yet some teams have switched on the defensive side, including the Cowboys who have done this with DeMarcus Ware on several occasions when they were seeking to put their best pass rusher on the opposing team's weaker pass blocking OT, not due to lefty strategy I don't believe, but none-the-less it's the same thing. Remember when Mecklenburgh played here he played all seven spots on the front of the defense, alot of the time finding the weak point.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #16
Likwid Kerruj

Clady needs to stay where he is.

Tony Boselli played the frontside for JAX quite well, but they also had Leon Searcy who was pretty decent on Brunell's blindside.

You need two good tackles no matter what hand the QB throws with.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:01 AM   #17
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
pass rusher alignments aren't just about a QB's blind side. Would you want us to play Doom on the strong side against a lefty, even if that means he gets chipped by a TE or FB more often?

Like you said in the OP, teams like to run to the right side. That means even in 20 personnel with no TEs you're more often going to see off-set I's with the fullback to the right side, so no free pass there.

The best pass rusher on the weak side design is a product of how offenses dictate the strong and weak side designation, a QB's blind side is only one small factor to that overall whole.

Having a pass rusher, especially a DE, flip sides is like me asking you to suddenly start doing everything opposite handed. Sure you can still do most things well, but its a little more awkward and makes you use more conscious thought. In a league where even tenths of seconds matter that is a game changer. Also if you think Tebow will have any pocket awareness at all (the hallmark of a good QB) what do you think he'll do to a team when he feels blind side pressure and you've got Ryan Clady crushing an inferior DE or OLB on the left side, opening up a perfect roll out lane?

Teams are going to keep their best pass rusher on the left (defense's right) because he's the only guy with a chance of beating Clady and taking away roll outs for Tebow. We saw yesterday that Tebow has no issues throwing on the run to his left hand side. We also saw that he's got no issues taking yardage when its there for him. You give him Clady as a lead blocker on the left hand side and a WR on that wing who can actually block like Decker or Thomas and teams are going to be more worried about the damage Tebow will do to them when he gets out of the pocket, not how they can attack his blind side while he's in it.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #18
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Yes, teams are going to gameplan to stop Tebow. Good Luck. They couldn't stop Orton either. Why...because we have alot of talent on offense. That's why. All we need is a true #1 back to come in and share carries with Moreno and a receiving TE to work the middle. But, in the passing game:

Brandon Lloyd
Jabar Gaffney
Eddie Royal
Demarrius Thomas
Eric Decker

You can take one away...but, that's a hell of alot of talent right there. If Walton and Beadles can learn from their rookie years and the rest of the Oline can come back healthy next season. We are built to win with Tebow on offense.

Our draft needs to be focused on Defense and this will be a competetive team next year.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:58 AM   #19
Greatspirits
Perennial Pro-bowler

"Little Von!"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trev

No thanks, Ryan Harris just needs to step up his game.

Last edited by Greatspirits; 12-27-2010 at 09:02 AM..
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #20
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
They'll probably be having their ends play contain quite a bit, which means leaving your fastest most athletic end where he is because Tebow being left handed will mean a lot of roll-outs and escaping to that side.

I just realized how weird that is going to be since we've never had a south-paw running a bootleg in Denver.
Are you starting to see the reason I would like Kubes involved in our offense... Whether it be as an OC or HC. I would prefer OC, but if HC is the only way to get it done, then fine.

I am just tired of making QB move every couple years. We never seem to move forward. Cutler was a douche, but he could play and we could have and probably would have been a playoff team by now had we stayed the course. We go QB yet again and we just prolong our return to prominence. Mainly b/c we once again will not be investing in defense!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #21
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Are you starting to see the reason I would like Kubes involved in our offense... Whether it be as an OC or HC. I would prefer OC, but if HC is the only way to get it done, then fine.

I am just tired of making QB move every couple years. We never seem to move forward. Cutler was a douche, but he could play and we could have and probably would have been a playoff team by now had we stayed the course. We go QB yet again and we just prolong our return to prominence. Mainly b/c we once again will not be investing in defense!
Why does selecting Kubiak mean we won't change QBs while every other alternative does?

Wouldn't someone like Mularkey, a Florida alum who's done great work with mobile QBs before, make just as much sense? Or John Gruden, the guy who labelled Tebow "concrete cyanide"?

There isn't just one single football guy out there who's a fan of Tim Tebow. A lot of highly qualified NFL types are believers, and with games like he had against Oakland followed by the Texans game we'll see more and more of them pop up. The next HC being sold on Tebow shouldn't even be a cornerstone aspect of the search, it should be a basic assumption.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #22
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post

I understand you wanting Kubiak's tutelage for the QB development side. However I'm surprised with all our defensive woes you would be ok with Kubiak. The dude has had atrocious defenses his entire tenure in Houston despite a number of playmakers on their team. And we're talking at or below .500 football. And you talk about lack of consistency, how about a proven defensive coordinator who stays for more than one season? Kubiak comes from the Shanahan school of finesse football and that is now what this team needs. So while I would love to see Kubiak on the sidelines calling plays as a coordinator and coaching up Tebow, I would hate to see us go back to finesse football and continue to have a bottom of the league defense.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #23
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

No thanks
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #24
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmac821 View Post
until they get free shot at the QB in the back
That's my concern; Harris is brittle and hasn't shown he can consistently last a season. We could wind up with god-knows-who playing in place of Harris protecting Tebow's blind side if he goes down next year, which he probably will.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #25
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

It should look a lot like the Plummer years. He bootlegged to the left a TON more than he did to his right. For some reason, he's the only rightie in the world that seemed to excel at that.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote