The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Mueller, Decosta, Sundquist, Telesco, Casserly, and Paton on the radar for GM

Mueller, Decosta, Sundquist, Telesco, Casserly, and Paton on the radar for GM

Please no Casserly and Sundquist. I could deal with the rest, but Casserly was absolutely horrible with the Texans (his draft picks were the worst ever, just look at them) and we all know about the Sundquist drafts. Chris Cole, Paul Tovessi, Travis McGriff, Willie Middlebrooks, Dorsett Davis...****, i could keep going on and on.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...re?eref=fromSI
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post

Please no Casserly and Sundquist. I could deal with the rest, but Casserly was absolutely horrible with the Texans (his draft picks were the worst ever, just look at them) and we all know about the Sundquist drafts. Chris Cole, Paul Tovessi, Travis McGriff, Willie Middlebrooks, Dorsett Davis...****, i could keep going on and on.

Yeah, that Mario Williams is ****.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:

I dont think Sundquist made the picks in Denver...

But this list is pretty much an O-Mane speculationfest.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Eric DeCosta? **** yeah!

Wiki:

Career"
Prior to his stint in the NFL, DeCosta worked at Trinity College (1993-1996) as a Graduate Fellow, coaching football in the Athletic Department.

Named as one of the most powerful people in sports under the age of 35 [2], DeCosta has played a strong role in the drafting of Pro Bowl players like Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs, Jamal Lewis, Bart Scott, Le'Ron McClain, Haloti Ngata, and Ray Rice along with significant contributors Tony Weaver, Mark Clayton, Chester Taylor, Ed Hartwell, Dawan Landry, Jason Brown, Jared Gaither, Ben Grubbs, Sam Koch, and Lardarius Webb.[citation needed]

In April, 2008, DeCosta and the Ravens traded the 8th pick in the 2008 Draft to the Jacksonville Jaguars for the 26th pick in the first round and other picks.[3] The Ravens then traded the 26th overall pick and their third round pick to the Houston Texans for the 18th pick, where the Ravens then selected 2008 Diet Pepsi Rookie of the Year winner, QB Joe Flacco from the University of Delaware.[4] In his first season as Ravens starting quarterback, Flacco led the Ravens to the AFC Championship Game, where they lost to the eventual Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

The next year, in April, 2009, DeCosta and Newsome traded the 26th pick in the 2009 Draft and another pick to the New England Patriots for the 23rd pick in the first round.[1] The Ravens then selected 2009 Offensive Rookie of the Year runner-up Michael Oher, OT, from Ole Miss. [2] Oher was featured in Michael Lewis' acclaimed book, The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game which was also made into a movie starring Sandra Bullock.

In January, 2010, after reportedly being a finalist for the Seattle Seahawks General Manager position [3], DeCosta removed his name from consideration prior to interviewing for the post [4].
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Lets go with Sundquist and Xanders as a GM team, with Kubiak as head coach and vp of football operations. And schlereth and Elway in there as well.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

DeCosta should, at least on paper, be great. My guess is that the Ravens already have him in some sort of approved transition plan with a lot of money and job security. Telesco might not be bad. I would stay away from anyone with Vikings roots.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
Wasn't drafted by Casserly, guy. But you already know that, right? Not really.
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
All right cutie.

http://yallkiltit.wordpress.com/2010...t-call-of-all/

Quote:
Four and one-half years ago, Houston Texans General Manager Charley Casserly made what was considered at the time the biggest NFL draft gaffe of the decade. . .and possibly ever.

Instead of drafting one of the two main Heisman finalists, either of whom was “clearly” an NFL superstar in the waiting. . .the man chose unheralded North Carolina State DE Mario Williams.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Ted Sundquist would suck. Wouldn't be overly excited with Charley Casserly. I'm pretty sure most Texan fans wanted to kick his dog by the time he was done there. Although he does have a ton of experience. DeCosta seems like an excellent possibility. I don't know a lot about the rest of the candidates but they all seem to have experience with winning franchises. Any of these guys sans Ted would be preferable to having Xanders as a GM.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Casserly took Mario Williams, Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels and DeMeco Ryans. Considering some still feel the unemployed Goodmans were awesome drafters Casserly is a gold standard then. Casserly doesn't like Tebow, which I think could be a good thing if the front office is a room of debate between GM, HC and Elway. Casserly missed on his fair share of moves too which leads me too...

Eric Decosta. Much like Belichick's assistants have failed without him - both of Newsome's assistants (Savage and Kokinis) were miserable failures on their own. If Belichick is the secret to NEs success in coaching, Newsome is so to personnel in Baltimore. Hiring Eric Decosta as GM would be no less risky than hiring Josh McDaniels was - based on the track record of similar Baltimore assistants. Not saying DeCosta couldn't be sucessful, he could... just like McDaniels could have been successful. But if you're a fan that didn't like the hire of McD because of Weis, Crennel and Mangini's failures - you'd be well served to research the history of Savage and Kokinis before declaring DeCosta the guy to come in and turn the program around.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
Its hard to miss when you had the first pick in the draft
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #12
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Send this thread to the butt. Who isnt on the list for crying out loud.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #13
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

I am just happy that there is a radar and the Broncos aren't simply sold on elevating Xanders to a real GM position.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #14
Tim

I liked Ted Sundquist. when he was Gm it seemed like trades and free agency always worked out in our favor, If I remember right he passed the torch to mike in 08' and then we had dog crap like niko and keary colbert.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #15
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Take back every word you said, Tim.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:26 PM   #16
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I liked Ted Sundquist. when he was Gm it seemed like trades and free agency always worked out in our favor, If I remember right he passed the torch to mike in 08' and then we had dog crap like niko and keary colbert.
Sundquist hasn't had a job in the NFL since he lost his here. Just say no.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #17
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

On a serious note, Telesco is a great candidate.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #18
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I'm 90% sure Sundquist isn't being looked at seriously.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #19
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

Telesco would be my choice. He's been with the Colts for 13 years, the past four as director of player personnel. Examine all the lower picks and undrafted free agents who have made, and become stars, in Indianapolis. Telesco was a contributing force in the Colts' two trips to the Super Bowl, and he will be a GM someday.

Read more: Paige: Hirings have to be rush jobs - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/commented/...#ixzz19I7hyBHQ
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:39 PM   #20
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I think a GM is more important for personnel decisions and negotiating the contracts with our own FAs as well as FA acquisitions. When it comes to the draft there are many more factors than just the GM. Now, if there are two or three guys that the scouts and director of scouting all think are "top prospects" then the GM will likely make the call. But it's not like a GM is just gonna come in and say, hey I watched a lot of Cam Newton during his one year at Auburn... We're taking him.

It seems like some people think that with a "big name" GM the HC isn't going to have a say in personnel decisions. Just doesn't work that way.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #21
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Doh! Sucks when someone quotes it when you say something stupid. Not the end of the world, but clearly you aren't qualified to select our next GM... Not that anyone on the Mane is...
Old 12-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #22
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by brncs_fan View Post
Telesco would be my choice. He's been with the Colts for 13 years, the past four as director of player personnel. Examine all the lower picks and undrafted free agents who have made, and become stars, in Indianapolis. Telesco was a contributing force in the Colts' two trips to the Super Bowl, and he will be a GM someday.

Read more: Paige: Hirings have to be rush jobs - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/commented/...#ixzz19I7hyBHQ
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Stability and continuity play a big role in that though. The Colts are successful in the draft with later round picks b/c they've maintained the same system for several years. Like Shanahan did with the offense, when you have the same system and several good fits, you can identify players that fit your system later in the draft.

So I am not sure I would trust any of those guys to build a system from scratch sort of speak. I would prefer a guy that has had to build something from the ground up rather than select players that fit something you know well and are accustomed to. That is pretty much what McD was trying and that left us with some serious gaps in talent.

With that in mind, I would prefer a guy like Casserly. Houston was nothing when he got there. He had some poor picks, but usually those were in years where there really wasn't a better choice. When given options, he generally decided on the better players for Houston. Guys like Williams, AJ, Ryans, and Robinson were all great choices. The picks he bombed on werent really reaches either. Okoye was probably the most questionable pick when there were options available. David Carr was a trap pick for an expansion team. But look back at the team he left and the talent was increased dramatically at the top. But again, the FA side of things were never his strong suit.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:58 PM   #23
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Stability and continuity play a big role in that though. The Colts are successful in the draft with later round picks b/c they've maintained the same system for several years. Like Shanahan did with the offense, when you have the same system and several good fits, you can identify players that fit your system later in the draft.
Ok. So hire a coach, put in a system, and let this guy go get the players for you.
brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #24
Boomhauer

Rick, not Randy, Mueller for GM.

Last edited by Boomhauer; 12-26-2010 at 11:10 PM..
Old 12-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #25
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by brncs_fan View Post
Ok. So hire a coach, put in a system, and let this guy go get the players for you.
Big difference. Starting from scratch vs adding to an existing system. Who knows, maybe a guy like Decosta can come in and bring the Ravens philosophy and have success with it... But isn't that what we were expecting with McD and the Pats system?