The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default Akeem Ayers?

I've been reading up on this guy as a potential pick for us in case we trade down...and he obviously has to come out also since he's a junior. The thing I like is that he's got the size and speed to play in either the 3-4 or the 4-3 AND he seems to be a really nice playmaker. I know he's projected in the first round, but not sure how high. And I also know we want D-line guys but we need front 7 talent in general, certainly at any LB spot we could use help, and much like the discussion on Patrick Peterson has indicated, I think you take talent over the position they play in most cases. Check this out...

footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The DLINE depth this year if all the projected juniors comes out is pretty strong. which i think would allow us to go BPA in the first. Hes a mid first rounder 15-25 or there about. and if we were to take him we would need to trade down.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
The DLINE depth this year if all the projected juniors comes out is pretty strong. which i think would allow us to go BPA in the first. Hes a mid first rounder 15-25 or there about. and if we were to take him we would need to trade down.
That's what I just said.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
That's what I just said.
eh.. ok...
Old 12-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
Lycan
Omelette Dreamer

I would be all for this pick. I watched him a lot in college and it seemed like he was always around the ball making plays. Very good athlete and I'm sure we could find a spot for him on this porous defense.
Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

I'm am all for this pick but not in the top 5. We would need to trade down.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

No way he's in the top tier of draft picks, we'd need to trade down IMO.
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lev Vyvanse View Post
Look out. he already told us that....
Old 12-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by hades View Post
No way he's in the top tier of draft picks, we'd need to trade down IMO.
Watch out he'll only tell you that he already told us that....
Old 12-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lev Vyvanse View Post
Did you bother reading the OP?
Old 12-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Look out. he already told us that....
Exactly. It's a one paragraph OP for pete's sake.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #12
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Would be a phenomenal selection in the middle to later part of the first-round. There are some pundits thinking he could sneak into the top half. RS Junior, he is likely to bolt.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #13
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Exactly. It's a one paragraph OP for pete's sake.
You ever stop to think maybe we were just reenforceing what you had to say... what else would you like us to say when you give us a mid first round prospect and we have the second pick in the draft. that we shoulod trade up to #1 and take him... i mean come on you are a little fussy here. need a nap?
Old 12-26-2010, 12:53 PM   #14
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Would be a phenomenal selection in the middle to later part of the first-round. There are some pundits thinking he could sneak into the top half. RS Junior, he is likely to bolt.
Not that big of a fan of him. Depending on our scheme it would be a mistake. Unless we give up on DJ...i dont like him as a SILB. i like him better asa 4-3 guy who could play either SAM or WIL
Old 12-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #15
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

I'm not sure if he's declared yet, but he is coming out. I've been covering him since high school. Dude is a beast. It sucks that his talents were wasted at UCLA. They have some talented players that they are not doing anything with.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Ayers is 6'4", 255 and he's reportedly clocked 4.55 in the forty, plus he's consistently made big plays, including three turnover returns for TD's last season. He had 6 sacks last year from the inside LB spot but he can play all the LB spots as well. He ranges sideline-to-sideline and he can cover TE's downfield. That sounds like the perfect recipe for this defense right now if we're considering him maybe around 15 or so, if that's where we trade down to. I think the #2 pick might bring something like a pick in the 10-15 range, plus at least a 2nd rounder and maybe a 4th or something. One of you draft chart junkies can look up the points involved. If we don't stay put where we are and draft BPA, he probably makes a lot of sense...assuming he comes out of course.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #17
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
You ever stop to think maybe we were just reenforceing what you had to say... what else would you like us to say when you give us a mid first round prospect and we have the second pick in the draft. that we shoulod trade up to #1 and take him... i mean come on you are a little fussy here. need a nap?
As a matter of fact I do.

I just get tired of people not reading a post and then responding anyway...you know it happens all the time.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #18
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Not that big of a fan of him. Depending on our scheme it would be a mistake. Unless we give up on DJ...i dont like him as a SILB. i like him better asa 4-3 guy who could play either SAM or WIL
He can play anywhere as a linebacker. You can never have enough good linebackers. As much as we rotate them, he would still be a valued selection in the 3-4 even with Dumervil and Ayers playing ahead of him. I'd sure as Hell like to see him out there rushing the passer instead of Jason Hunter.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #19
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
He can play anywhere as a linebacker. You can never have enough good linebackers. As much as we rotate them, he would still be a valued selection in the 3-4 even with Dumervil and Ayers playing ahead of him. I'd sure as Hell like to see him out there rushing the passer instead of Jason Hunter.
Yeah i hear ya on the hunter point. if we also converted toa 4-3 you could play him at will behind doom to make up for the lack of size doom brings. might shore up a bit of our run defense
Old 12-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #20
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
As a matter of fact I do.

I just get tired of people not reading a post and then responding anyway...you know it happens all the time.
i figured you would have known i read your post when you said you really didnt know really he was slotted to go.

or when people cherry pick posts
Old 12-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #21
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Yeah i hear ya on the hunter point. if we also converted toa 4-3 you could play him at will behind doom to make up for the lack of size doom brings. might shore up a bit of our run defense
Definitely, OTM.

That is the hardest thing for me right now coming up with draft ideas and a potential list of prospects who would be of value to our team since we don't know what scheme we will be running, but no doubt, Ayers can fit in either.

I just look at teams like the Steelers and would like to replicate their success if we stay in the 3-4 (although ours might be different in a way, I think they run a pretty unique variant) and not be shy about drafting good linebackers even if you have pieces in place.

Enjoy the game, OTM!
Old 12-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #22
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

He can cover TE's downfield. Who do we have at SAM that can do that? Nobody. He can also put his hand on the ground as an outside end, or he can range from the middle. That kind of versitility is impressive when it comes with playmaking skills, which he has. He's considered an athletic freak by alot of people and he spent his last year at UCLA as the only returning starter on D so he had to lead from day one. He's a targert from what I gather somewhere between 10-20 in this draft.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #23
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
He can cover TE's downfield. Who do we have at SAM that can do that? Nobody. He can also put his hand on the ground as an outside end, or he can range from the middle. That kind of versitility is impressive when it comes with playmaking skills, which he has. He's considered an athletic freak by alot of people and he spent his last year at UCLA as the only returning starter on D so he had to lead from day one. He's a targert from what I gather somewhere between 10-20 in this draft.

Traditionaly youd like to find your Sam backers in the second round or later vecause of value. Biggest thing for me is that we have to find gamers and players people that are gonna make a impact. He was a impact college guy. ill keep my eye out for him leading up to the draft more.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #24
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Did you bother reading the OP?
I get it, you love him and thats fine. I just think we might need to trade down to get him. I don't think he's a top 3 pick.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #25
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Lots of D-line depth in this draft and players who would be decent selections from the middle of the 1st, to the middle of the 2nd rounds. Trading down would be nice, or taking Peterson and grabbing best available D-line with the 2nd rounders.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote