The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default Shanahan-igans

Just read this in my local fish wrap over Christmas breakfast. Mind you, this isn't the Denver Post, or the Washington Post for that matter. Orange County Register....And it's not even a high profile writer. Just the OCR's NFL beat writer basically. Pretty random to see this in the OCR this morning.

Side note...I'm 'bar friends' with Leroy Irvin (who is still pretty connected) and he told me last night that he's heard Shanny is gone come January. I don't buy that for a second though. Is Snyder really that dumb to can a high profile coach after only a season when they so badly need stability at HC?

Anyway....http://www.ocregister.com/sports/sha...ynesworth.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll admit it, straight-off: I was completely wrong about Mike Shanahan being the coach who could lead free-spending Daniel Snyder's Washington Redskins out of the NFL wilderness.

From the Albert Haynesworth fiasco to the soap-opera-like drama of the benching of Donovan McNabb, Shanahan has acted like the coach who faded so badly in Denver that he was kicked to the curb despite winning back-to-back Super Bowls with John Elway at quarterback.

Mike Shanahan's disrespectful benching of Washington quarterback Donovan McNabb fits an all-too-familiar pattern for the former Super Bowl-winning coach. The mood in Washington is grim, and we're not talking Russ Grimm. This photo of Shanahan and McNabb was taken BEFORE the Redskins lost in Dallas on Sunday. Hard to tell which one lost his job.

Shanahan has four years left on his $35 million Redskins contract, so he could still prove my initial reaction to his hiring correct. But at this point, I don't care if he does the process has been almost too brutal to behold.

Scapegoats, not Super Bowls, are Shanahan's coaching style now. He used to just fire defensive coordinators in Denver: Greg Robinson (who coached the two title-winning defenses), Ray Rhodes, Larry Coyer, Jim Bates but actually took a stand for one (Bob Slowik) after the 2008 season.

Shanahan refused to fire Slowik, and Broncos owner Pat Bowlen fired Shanahan as a result.

His scapegoats thus far in Washington have been players: defensive tackle Haynesworth, punter Hunter Smith, and quarterback McNabb.

When Redskins owner Snyder brought Shanahan aboard Jan. 5, he gave him final say in all personnel matters. In April, Shanahan traded Philadelphia a second-round pick in 2010 (the Eagles selected safety Nate Allen, who became a starter as a rookie) and a conditional pick in 2011 (either a third or a fourth) for six-time Pro Bowl quarterback Donovan McNabb.

Shanahan brought in former New Orleans Saints coach Jim Haslett to install the 3-4 defense that Shanahan deployed in Denver, and that's when the battle with Haynesworth began.

Washington had 4-3 defensive personnel. And basically, still does.

Haynesworth, signed by Snyder in 2009 to a seven-year contract worth $100 million ($41 million guaranteed), is not only a prototypical 4-3 defensive tackle, he's one of the best when so inclined and motivated.

Work-ethic-challenged Haynesworth, to his discredit, fought the switch to 3-4 nose tackle from the outset, and quickly became the subject of ridicule after his inability to pass Shanahan's fitness tests.

Warren Sapp, a prototypical 4-3 DT, was moved to defensive end when he joined a Raiders team that deployed the 3-4 (3-4 ends are similar to 4-3 tackles; 4-3 defensive ends are more likely to become 3-4 outside linebackers). Why Shanahan didn't go that route is beyond me; Haynesworth probably would've resisted that move as well, but we'll never know.

The Redskins had trouble just getting him to practice, and used Haynesworth as a situational pass-rusher in 8 of their first 12 games. Then, Shanahan suspended him for the season's final four games for "conduct detrimental to the club."

Snyder has wasted $41 million before, just not on one player. In two years, at that price, Haynesworth produced 53 tackles and seven sacks in 20 games.

Shanahan began to doubt his McNabb acquisition as early as Week 8, when McNabb was pulled in favor of Rex Grossman with 3:25 left in a close game with the Detroit Lions. Shanahan then proceeded to give three different explanations for the move in the next three days, none very convincing.

Then on Nov. 15, Shanahan out of the blue gave McNabb a five-year contract extension worth $75 million. Only $3.25 million was guaranteed; perhaps it was simply a peace offering for the Week 8 embarrassment.

Shanahan found another scapegoat after a Week 14 loss to Tampa Bay, 17-16. McNabb had driven the Redskins to what had appeared to be a tying touchdown, but a high snap on the extra-point attempt sailed through the hands of holder Hunter Smith. Shanahan promptly cut Smith, a 13-year veteran punter, in a totally classless move.

McNabb remained the QB starter until Week 15, when Shanahan announced he wanted to take a look at Rex Grossman and John Beck, and unceremoniously demoted McNabb to No. 3. The classy McNabb stayed quiet until after the Week 15 game, then the next day said he felt "disrespected" by his coach. Others had been saying it for him since the move had been announced.

So, to review, Shanahan has rid himself of his best defensive player, Haynesworth, and the quarterback he hand-picked to turn around the Redskins offense, McNabb. With Washington's defense allowing the most yards per game in the NFL (397), defensive coordinator Haslett shouldn't feel secure either.

Perhaps there's a method to this madness.

NFL Network studio analyst Marshall Faulk suggested Sunday that Shanahan's strategy appears to be positioning the Redskins for a top-5 draft pick, in order to get a "Sam Bradford-type quarterback," which would mean losing the last three games with Grossman at quarterback. Washington lost, 33-30, at Dallas despite four TD passes by Grossman.

The Redskins are 5-9, and close out with games against playoff contenders Jacksonville and the New York Giants. Click on the photo for a slide-show look at Shanahan's reign of error so far.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Lol. I love the line about Shanahan Positioning himself for a top 5 draft pick by playing Grossman. I guess fans aren't the only ones rooting for losses.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Is it the norm that coaches on new teams have to make a sudden impact on their new teams? Shanny has a long contract and has time to put his mark on the Redskins but he decided that he screwed up in Denver and now needs to do the opposite on a team that might not need it (3-4 defense). Shanahan might be one confused and acting like he has one year to turn the Redskins around.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

McNabb has zero respect for Kyle Shanahan and when you force Mike to choose between Kyle or Donavan guess who's going to win that battle. It's difficult to get respect as a coach in the NFL when you are the same age as the players, just ask McDaniels. And it doesn't help when you have Chris Sims initials tattooed on your leg.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
Lol. I love the line about Shanahan Positioning himself for a top 5 draft pick by playing Grossman. I guess fans aren't the only ones rooting for losses.
Grossman played his heart out in the second half, Sunday. If Shanahan wants the Redskins to lose the remaining games, he hasn't told Grossman...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Is it the norm that coaches on new teams have to make a sudden impact on their new teams? Shanny has a long contract and has time to put his mark on the Redskins but he decided that he screwed up in Denver and now needs to do the opposite on a team that might not need it (3-4 defense). Shanahan might be one confused and acting like he has one year to turn the Redskins around.
Agree that maybe he shouldn't have made the change to 3-4 but we all new it was coming after his 2009 training camp tour. He's been a 'follower' for quite some time now.

I'd be utterly shocked if he got axed though.

"Scapegoats, not Super Bowls, are Shanahan's coaching style now." I lol'd
Old 12-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Shanny has a plan.... I think he is going to fire Snyder at the end of the season
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Scapegoats, not Super Bowls, are Shanahan's coaching style now. He used to just fire defensive coordinators in Denver: Greg Robinson (who coached the two title-winning defenses), Ray Rhodes, Larry Coyer, Jim Bates – but actually took a stand for one (Bob Slowik) after the 2008 season.

Shanahan refused to fire Slowik, and Broncos owner Pat Bowlen fired Shanahan as a result.

His scapegoats thus far in Washington have been players: defensive tackle Haynesworth, punter Hunter Smith, and quarterback McNabb.

When Redskins owner Snyder brought Shanahan aboard Jan. 5, he gave him final say in all personnel matters. In April, Shanahan traded Philadelphia a second-round pick in 2010 (the Eagles selected safety Nate Allen, who became a starter as a rookie) and a conditional pick in 2011 (either a third or a fourth) for six-time Pro Bowl quarterback Donovan McNabb.

Shanahan brought in former New Orleans Saints coach Jim Haslett to install the 3-4 defense that Shanahan deployed in Denver, and that's when the battle with Haynesworth began.

Washington had 4-3 defensive personnel. And basically, still does.
This says EVERYTHING (especially the "And basically, still does) about why I'm THRILLED Shanahan is no longer coaching here.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

What a poorly written article. McNabb is a scapegoat? How bout he's playing like ****? Grossman played a great game last week which proved Shanny was right. Haynesworth is just a scapegoat? Yeah....he's done nothing to legitimately deserve blame.

Shanny has done a fine job in his first year there. They are alot more competitive than they used to be and that's without his guys in there, yet.

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
What a poorly written article. McNabb is a scapegoat? How bout he's playing like ****? Grossman played a great game last week which proved Shanny was right. Haynesworth is just a scapegoat? Yeah....he's done nothing to legitimately deserve blame.

Shanny has done a fine job in his first year there. They are alot more competitive than they used to be and that's without his guys in there, yet.
Uh-huh
Old 12-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #11
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I guess he's still the "mastermind"

He is officially ten times smarter than Andy Reid.
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #12
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Really stupid and even more shortsighted to think that this is a 1 year fix in DC.

That team has had a losing culture ingrained and solidified with horrific personnel moves and front office mismanagement over the last 20 years.

Shanahan tried to give McNabb a go while working on establishing a running game, and while the running game has continued to improve over the course of the year, McNabb is clearly lazy and unmotivated, and it shows in his play.

At this point they are clearly tanking the season in order to position for a run at one of the QBs coming out for Shanahan to groom. Thinking that this season means anything past getting a few young players and the OL into shape, with an eye for the offseason, is moronic.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #13
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
What a poorly written article.
Really? I didn't see any spelling or punctuation mistakes at all.

Or did you just mean that you disagree with the content?
Old 12-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
I guess he's still the "mastermind"

He is officially ten times smarter than Andy Reid.
Andy Reid- the new Marty Schottenheimer

I'll take the guy who can win the big one vs. the Dan Reeves clone any day of the week
Old 12-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #15
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Really? I didn't see any spelling or punctuation mistakes at all.

Or did you just mean that you disagree with the content?

LensCrafters.

Check it out.

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #16
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelbeef View Post
Really stupid and even more shortsighted to think that this is a 1 year fix in DC.
Nobody is saying it was/is. Certainly not the author.

BCJ pointed that out in post #3.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #17
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:

This is a key point- he was making it clear for all to see that McNabb has been a lazy p o s, and that his apathetic play has killed the offense.

Aside from the one Eagles atrocity, that team has played very well despite a tough schedule, a severe lack of offensive talent particularly on the line and at WR, a losing attitude which will take a few years to break, a lazy QB who has failed to pick up what is a proven winning offensive system, and an absolute sloth and locker room cancer @ DT in Fat Albert Haynesworth.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #18
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:

LensCrafters.

Check it out.
Oh hey, good catch. I changed my mind. You're right, what a poorly written article.

Go ahead and delete it if you feel like 'moderating'.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #19
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Nobody is saying it was/is. Certainly not the author.

BCJ pointed that out in post #3.
So then how do you (the author) make such pronouncements- i.e. Shanahan is the wrong man for the job- if you are able to see that this is a multi year fix? The team has played competitively, the OL, WR, and RB play has improved, and they will win more games than last year.

In making that argument, the inherent point is that the team should have been fixed already, and no progress has been made, which is 100% false for anybody who has watched Ryan Torain pick up chunks of yards only to see McNabb fail to sell the play action and throw a lazy int into coverage, stare down a crossing receiver, or miss somebody wide open down the field
Old 12-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #20
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
This is a key point- he was making it clear for all to see that McNabb has been a lazy p o s, and that his apathetic play has killed the offense.

Which is the very definition of making a McNabb a scapegoat.

If I make a bad hire and my Dept. suffers from it, bet your ass I make him a scapegoat and fire him. "Not my fault boss, that guy just sucked"
Old 12-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #21
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Which is the very definition of making a McNabb a scapegoat.

If I make a bad hire and my Dept. suffers from it, bet your ass I make him a scapegoat and fire him. "Not my fault boss, that guy just sucked"
They paid him next to nothing and took a shot that he would be motivated.

He was never the long term fix, but had big upside.

You can see why they would take a flier on him- but if he is gone next season, no skin.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:51 PM   #22
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:

In making that argument, the inherent point is that the team should have been fixed already, and no progress has been made, which is 100% false for anybody who has watched Ryan Torain pick up chunks of yards only to see McNabb fail to sell the play action and throw a lazy int into coverage, stare down a crossing receiver, or miss somebody wide open down the field
Re-read the article. He doesn't even mention the 'Skins record until the last sentence.

This piece isn't about whether or not the Redskins suck or whether or not Shanahan can coach on gameday.

If you think Shanahan handled Haynesworth & McNabb perfectly all year, more power to you.

Personally, I doubt he ever sees .500 with this team.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #23
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:

That team has had a losing culture ingrained and solidified with horrific personnel moves and front office mismanagement over the last 20 years.
Over the last 20 years the Redskins organization has had 11 winning seasons and 9 losing seasons. Six playoff appearances. Hardly a losing culture. In fact, three of their last five seasons were winning seasons, and two of them earned them playoff appearances. The Redskins aren't a franchise in disarray, they are just a mediocre franchise in the most competitive division in the NFL. To make the playoffs two times in five years in the NFC East isn't bad, not at all.

Even with Shanahan's hire, their offense still sucks (barely better than under Zorn) and the defense is still abysmal. Mediocre (if that) offenses and terrible defenses seem to be something that Mike has been fielding as a coach for a while now. Look for the common denominator.

And we wonder why Mike was called "teflon."

This Redskins team was 4-12 last year, a pretty bad team. Good players were acquired and brought in and it has only netted them +1 in the W/L column from the previous year.

What gives?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #24
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

I love watching curtainsofbeef defend shanahan for alienating star players in dc. The irony is so thick, it's choking the oxygen out of the air.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #25
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
You can see why they would take a flier on him- but if he is gone next season, no skin.
Except wasting an extremely high draft pick (second rounder, Nate Allen) and a potential third or fourth for a one-year rental service.

The Redskins are a team that has been known for making some pretty horrendous trades and not valuing the draft, which is why their team has probably been stuck in mediocrity over the past few years.

That didn't change when Mike came to town. So no, there isn't any sweat off the Redskins back for financial obligation, but there certainly is with draft value and the perception of the team moving forward.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote