The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default Played Football in College?

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to get some advice from people out there that have either played in college, or had a son that did so.

My son is a high school senior and is being recruited by several smaller D1 programs, and several D2 programs. We have official visits scheduled in January and then the pressure will be on.

Anyway, here is the dilemma. My son and I are disagreeing a little and I wondered if there were any real life experiences I could share with him (that could help us make a good decision together). I like the small football/big education choice, and he likes the bigger football/average education choice.

The school my son likes is a smaller D1 school in the Sun Belt Conference (average attendance 12,000-14,000). They have a pretty exciting spread offense, and the coach has told him he would be utilized heavily as a pulling guard (which is my son's favorite thing to be). As I said, an education is what you make it, but the school is more "average" in the brainpower category. The kicker is that they play at least one big name team every year (last year they played Auburn, the year before the played Alabama). Of course, they get killed these games, but they play in front of 80,000+ SEC fans.

The school I like is a D2 school with a tremendous engineering program. The football program is small, average attendance at games is 2,000-4,000, but the education is awesome. Basically, anyone who graduates with at least a 2.5 is guaranteed a job on graduation. Over 90% of their graduates have a job lined up before the graduate (average starting salary right out of schools os over $57 k).

So, give me some advice or a story before we go on these visits.
What did you choose?
Did you regret it?
What would you choose now?

Thanks.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

gotta let your son make his choice where hes going to be happy. he can go to the D2 school and hate it regardless of education, and go to the D1 school and love the team. i am a grad student at FAU, also in sunbelt conference, its not a bad conference for someone to play in if he really wants to. people get a lot more out of football long term than just to play.

ive gone to 3 schools (2 undergrad, 1 graduate) and interned at a 4th. the school i liked the least education wise was university of wisconsin-madison, the classes were too big etc. the campus was absolutely amazing, but as far as education, WIU(western illinois) was easily better IMO, even though statistics and salary determine that UW-M was better. so its what you make of it.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

GANGNAM STYLE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
The school I like is a D2 school with a tremendous engineering program.
I didn't play any football or anything like that, but just as a 26-year old recently out of college, I'd ask: is he sure he wants to do engineering? I mean, if he is, then it's obviously something to think about. I just remember being 18 and a senior in high school and having no idea what I wanted to do. Point being, it might not be wise to base a decision on one program. If you're just focusing on engineering and he decides it isn't for him or something, that might not be the best decision. I mean, what's the rest of the school's programs like?
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
I didn't play any football or anything like that, but just as a 26-year old recently out of college, I'd ask: is he sure he wants to do engineering? I mean, if he is, then it's obviously something to think about. I just remember being 18 and a senior in high school and having no idea what I wanted to do. Point being, it might not be wise to base a decision on one program. If you're just focusing on engineering and he decides it isn't for him or something, that might not be the best decision. I mean, what's the rest of the school's programs like?
The D2 school offers 65 possible majors, but they are overwhelmingly engineering oriented.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

bpc could probably give you some good advice on this. He played college ball and was an all-conference OL in fact.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
The D2 school offers 65 possible majors, but they are overwhelmingly engineering oriented.
i went to school wanting to be a police officer, my undergrad is a top 3 school in the country for it. left doing exercise science. its a very low % of people who go in knowing what they wnat to do then actually do it.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

Is he being offered a scholarship at either school and if so what is the tuition look like with those scholarships applied? The ability to pay for school could be a big deciding factor.
brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
DomCasual
The Dude abides.

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Fax Machine

I could throw the football over them mountains. If coach had put me in, we would have won state.

In all seriousness, this is kind of a loaded question. The responsible answer is that his college football career will be fleeting, while his education is forever. Projecting himself twenty, ten, or even five years from now, the time spent playing college football will be just a memory. His quality of life, on the other hand, will likely be dramatically affected by the quality of his degree.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
ICON
|^|Punter of Gnomes|^|

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..Snap!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

bigger football/average education choice.
ICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
DomCasual
The Dude abides.

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Fax Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
I could throw the football over them mountains. If coach had put me in, we would have won state.

In all seriousness, this is kind of a loaded question. The responsible answer is that his college football career will be fleeting, while his education is forever. Projecting himself twenty, ten, or even five years from now, the time spent playing college football will be just a memory. His quality of life, on the other hand, will likely be dramatically affected by the quality of his degree.
In fairness, I have a feeling you knew that when you posed the question.

If your son is reading this, let me be the bad cop (eventually, in hindsight, I will be the good cop). Kid, do the right thing. Who care about getting shellacked in front of 80,000 fans? Your priorities, from this time forward, should be education, education, education.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
DomCasual
The Dude abides.

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Fax Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICON View Post
bigger football/average education choice.
Okay, I mean no offense when I say this.

But you're a jackass.

I kid.

But seriously - why?
Old 12-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
ghostofjosh

I had a similar situation in college but in baseball...my biggest advice now that it has been 15 years,is go for education...the fact is on a big d-1 school,chances are youre riding the pine,and a lesser education to boot because of the travel schedule and such,you just dont have the time to put in...on the otherhand a d-2 school,youre more likely to not only play,but stand out...youll get a few special privleges,and you'll enjoy it more,imo...better to be the big fish in a small pond,than a small fish in the ocean..good luck
Old 12-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

I attended Colorado School of Mines on a wrestling scholarship. I considered some other schools, but what it boiled down to is I had my heart set on engineering. So the choice was easy for me. One word of caution, if his heart isn't in engineering he probably won’t make it through the program. It's tough and he has to be dedicated.
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #14
Cmac821
Harden by loss

Can't wait for next year

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fox Mulder

Am I the only one wondering which schools are in question?

I would definitely go for better education, the way I see it football only last 4 years where your education is forever.
Cmac821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #15
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

The choice that gives him the best education with a degree that pays.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #16
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Hey Guys,
Just wanted to get some advice from people out there that have either played in college, or had a son that did so.

My son is a high school senior and is being recruited by several smaller D1 programs, and several D2 programs. We have official visits scheduled in January and then the pressure will be on.

Anyway, here is the dilemma. My son and I are disagreeing a little and I wondered if there were any real life experiences I could share with him (that could help us make a good decision together). I like the small football/big education choice, and he likes the bigger football/average education choice.

The school my son likes is a smaller D1 school in the Sun Belt Conference (average attendance 12,000-14,000). They have a pretty exciting spread offense, and the coach has told him he would be utilized heavily as a pulling guard (which is my son's favorite thing to be). As I said, an education is what you make it, but the school is more "average" in the brainpower category. The kicker is that they play at least one big name team every year (last year they played Auburn, the year before the played Alabama). Of course, they get killed these games, but they play in front of 80,000+ SEC fans.

The school I like is a D2 school with a tremendous engineering program. The football program is small, average attendance at games is 2,000-4,000, but the education is awesome. Basically, anyone who graduates with at least a 2.5 is guaranteed a job on graduation. Over 90% of their graduates have a job lined up before the graduate (average starting salary right out of schools os over $57 k).

So, give me some advice or a story before we go on these visits.
What did you choose?
Did you regret it?
What would you choose now?

Thanks.
I think Dad is doing the right thing here... keep the pressure on. If one of my kids has the opportunity to go to say Colorado School of Mines vs Northern Colorado or Tulsa or something like that, best believe I am going to push the education at Mines!

You aren't doing anything wrong by pushing the education, but you also have to understand at some point that by pushing to hard you can have a negative impact as well. Present your case and then offer your best support regardless of the decision. The best thing you can do in this scenario.

Remember, “Children begin by loving their parents; as they grow older they judge them; sometimes, they forgive them” ~Oscar Wilde
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #17
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornBronco View Post
I attended Colorado School of Mines on a wrestling scholarship. I considered some other schools, but what it boiled down to is I had my heart set on engineering. So the choice was easy for me. One word of caution, if his heart isn't in engineering he probably won’t make it through the program. It's tough and he has to be dedicated.
I work with a couple Engineers from Mines as well as a couple from the Air Force Academy. I wouldn't say one set is better or greater than the other, but I do know that Mines is probably even more difficult to get into. Quite the prestigious school!
Old 12-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #18
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncoman13 View Post
i think dad is doing the right thing here... Keep the pressure on. if one of my kids has the opportunity to go to say colorado school of mines vs northern colorado or tulsa or something like that, best believe i am going to push the education at mines!

You aren't doing anything wrong by pushing the education, but you also have to understand at some point that by pushing to hard you can have a negative impact as well. Present your case and then offer your best support regardless of the decision. The best thing you can do in this scenario.

Remember, “children begin by loving their parents; as they grow older they judge them; sometimes, they forgive them” ~oscar wilde

this!
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #19
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

It was a tremendoes education and has definitly contributed to my quality of life, but it was a lot of work to be a student athelete.
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #20
ICON
|^|Punter of Gnomes|^|

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..Snap!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Okay, I mean no offense when I say this.

But you're a jackass.

I kid.

But seriously - why?
Kids who have little academic talent and/or no interest in attending college are compelled to be there with a bigger football/average education choice.
ICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Sounds like either way your kid is a long shot to make the pros. advise him to go to the school with the better engineering program because regardless he probably won't be making the pro's.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #22
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICON View Post
Kids who have little academic talent and/or no interest in attending college are compelled to be there with a bigger football/average education choice.
People actually get hired because they played division 1 football. I think you need to look deeply into his academic prowess because even little D1 schools are highly respected by employers. It's nice to put that you played D1 football on your resume.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #23
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
People actually get hired because they played division 1 football. I think you need to look deeply into his academic prowess because even little D1 schools are highly respected by employers.
I know several guys making 100K plus as medical equipment reps because they are locally famous ex-college football players.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #24
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
People actually get hired because they played division 1 football. I think you need to look deeply into his academic prowess because even little D1 schools are highly respected by employers. It's nice to put that you played D1 football on your resume.
Interesting...
Old 12-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #25
TD4HOF
Rehabbed Lurker

He's Better Than MJ!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Special Teams

Chase your dreams, kid. Only get one shot and no one tells you what to do.
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote