The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Paradis by the dashboard lights

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis
Default ESPN Scouts Inc. Big Board vs. Broncos Draft Needs

Given that we'll be picking in the top 5, and the Miami Dolphins are playing .500 ball, we'll most likely end up with something close to the 3rd, 35th, and 48th pick in the 2011 draft.

Below are the current prospect rankings (including underclassmen) from ESPN's Scout's Inc. Granted, this board's gonna change quite a bit in the next four months, but most likely at least 35 of the names here will go in the top 50.

As a thought experiment, I've color-coded the rankings according to the Broncos' needs:

Green = definite fit with a roster need
Yellow = may or may not be a draft target, depending on new coach and scheme for 2011
Pink = probably not a prospect for our roster

Here's the breakdown:

[IMG][/IMG]

One interesting thing I notice is at the top of the board -- if the Broncos front office is not enamored with any one of the top 5 players, they should be able to trade down several spots and still get a very good front-seven defensive prospect. However, once you get down to the 14-23 range, that dries up and we're left with a lot of offensive linemen, wide receivers, and running backs -- none of which we should be taking in round 1 this year. So, it may work to our advantage to trade down to the 10-13 range and pick up yet another 2nd rounder, and still get some premium talent with that first pick.

My first mock draft of the season (2 rounds only) is, therefore:

round 1, pick 3: DE De'Quan Bowers, Clemson
Round 2, pick 35: TE Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame
Round 2, pick 48: DT Marvin Austin, North Carolina

Last edited by BowlenBall; 12-13-2010 at 12:38 AM..
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Are you serious..... anyone listing Florida Gator Center Mike Pouncey at #16 totally shows they know zero about talent. Did any of you see this guy play this season? The guy caused more turn overs moving than a pastry baker during the holiday season.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
bap454
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Are you serious..... anyone listing Florida Gator Center Mike Pouncey at #16 totally shows they know zero about talent. Did any of you see this guy play this season? The guy caused more turn overs moving than a pastry baker during the holiday season.
Translate...please! "more turn overs moving" ..wtf does that mean. You say he play no bueno.?
bap454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I like Fairley. He seems to make a lot of plays every week.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I want Dareus he is already schooled in the 5 tech DE spot and is awesome
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
I want Dareus he is already schooled in the 5 tech DE spot and is awesome
Yeah. Dareus and Doom would be a pretty good one/two punch. I have a feeling our pass rush woes would be over. Plus you add in a healthy Ayers. Mays has shown he can do damage when freed up. The big deal about getting guys like Dareus is that they make everybody around them better. Suddenly, your LBs are freed up and making more tackles. Your secondary has to cover for shorter periods of time which makes playing man and disrupting timing routes that much more effective and it might allow you to put an extra man in the box. More INTs. More fumbles. It's a ripple effect. You don't just get "one player" better. It's exponential.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

assuming we stick with a 3-4 def. Bowers is too small at 280 to play DE.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Yeah. Dareus and Doom would be a pretty good one/two punch. I have a feeling our pass rush woes would be over. Plus you add in a healthy Ayers. Mays has shown he can do damage when freed up. The big deal about getting guys like Dareus is that they make everybody around them better. Suddenly, your LBs are freed up and making more tackles. Your secondary has to cover for shorter periods of time which makes playing man and disrupting timing routes that much more effective and it might allow you to put an extra man in the box. More INTs. More fumbles. It's a ripple effect. You don't just get "one player" better. It's exponential.
That's what I think as well with our second we could get the best S, DT on the board and then options are open but Defense Defense Defense all day
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #9
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

Not interested in that Prince Akayadayada guy at all, please do not draft him.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
uplink
Ring of Famer

Elway may want to trade up to get a fellow Standford QB.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #11
BroncoSojia
Go Broncos

Thanks Champ for the past 10 years

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bey Bey Thomas

Patrick Peterson is a freak, sub 4.4 at 6-1 220. Versatile, can play safety and return kick offs and punts as well. He's a game changer for sure.

People are claiming he's a once in a decade talent and comparing him to Bailey.

With Champ's contract and Cox's legal troubles, we could be looking at CBs early.

If he's there at our pick I wouldn't be shocked or mad if we took him as he would be the BPA at that point.

We would still be in good shape to get help on the Dline as this draft is very deep in that area. We'll still have 2 2nd round picks and one of them will be very high.
BroncoSojia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:40 PM   #12
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSojia View Post
Patrick Peterson is a freak, sub 4.4 at 6-1 220. Versatile, can play safety and return kick offs and punts as well. He's a game changer for sure.

With Champ's contract and Cox's legal troubles, we could be looking at CBs early.

If he's there at our pick I wouldn't be shocked or mad if we took him as he would be the BPA at that point.

We would still be in good shape to get help on the Dline as this draft is very deep in that area. We'll still have 2 2nd round picks and one of them will be very high.
Completely agree with the BPA for the top pick -- you so rarely get a shot at true game-changing talent, and you need to pull the trigger while you can. The #3 spot is no place to be reaching for needs. The only exception to this would be a wide receiver -- we're just too stocked at that one position to justify taking one at #3.

That being said -- I'd rather trade out of this slot if possible, as the financial payout for top #5 picks is redonkulous. Better to pick up a mid-first rounder and a couple of later picks IMO.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:05 AM   #13
meangene
Ring of Famer

I think J.J. Watt is vastly undervalued on this Board. He is a top 10 talent IMO. He could easily pack over 300 lbs. on that frame and be a prototype 3-4 DE in the Richard Seymour mold. Big guys with his motor are hard to find.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #14
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatFan View Post
Completely agree with the BPA for the top pick -- you so rarely get a shot at true game-changing talent, and you need to pull the trigger while you can. The #3 spot is no place to be reaching for needs. The only exception to this would be a wide receiver -- we're just too stocked at that one position to justify taking one at #3.

That being said -- I'd rather trade out of this slot if possible, as the financial payout for top #5 picks is redonkulous. Better to pick up a mid-first rounder and a couple of later picks IMO.
Maybe. The CBA will not control the next draft, so all the old maxims are null and void until the next one is implemented.

I have not gotten to all the top talent in this draft yet, but it all depends on the underclassmen who declare if I would move back. We will see where we end up drafting and then more as the class solidifies.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #15
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

3- Fairley
35- Marvin Austin
45- Jimmy Smith

Address safety, tight end, and safety again in free agency and the 3-7 rounds of the draft. Weigh to a 4-3 and rotate DTs with the two rookies, Thomas, Williams and Fields. Move Ayers to his natural position and Doom back to DE as well. DJ at Weakside, Mays at the Mike and Haggan at the Sam.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #16
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Maybe. The CBA will not control the next draft, so all the old maxims are null and void until the next one is implemented.
Good point -- I wonder if they'll have the new CBA and a rookie salary cap in place by April. Certainly will make a difference to teams' value charts either way....
Old 12-16-2010, 12:35 AM   #17
anton
Solid Starter

Broncos should take Patrick Peterson, he is a talent that you just cant pass up and Champ will likely be gone. Then go dline with both 2nd round picks. Fairley and Dareus are solid players but not on the same talent level as Peterson.
anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #18
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Tebow just might see us picking at #10!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #19
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatFan View Post

by the time these guys sign there will be a rookie scale already in place so it shouldnt be horribly expensive.
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #20
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickademus View Post
by the time these guys sign there will be a rookie scale already in place so it shouldnt be horribly expensive.
That is my hope as well b/c it will make trading down a lot easier as well. The Patriots will not walk away from this draft with eight players in the first four rounds. They will make plenty of deals.

I'd be happy to give them a shot at one of the DT beasts or Peterson or AJ Green or whatever they'd like for a couple first rounders and a 3rd. The Raiders pick will probably be around #12-15. The Pats pick probably around #28-32.

I have said all along that we need top notch players and drafting in the top 10 will finally give us the opportunity to get those types of players. But right now we need to fill holes in a number of positions. #12, 30, 36, and 45, 68, and 75ish may allow us to fill more holes and restock the cupboards with talent. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of safeties or TEs in this draft that would make it worth having those extra picks in the first and third.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #21
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
That is my hope as well b/c it will make trading down a lot easier as well. The Patriots will not walk away from this draft with eight players in the first four rounds. They will make plenty of deals.

I'd be happy to give them a shot at one of the DT beasts or Peterson or AJ Green or whatever they'd like for a couple first rounders and a 3rd. The Raiders pick will probably be around #12-15. The Pats pick probably around #28-32.

I have said all along that we need top notch players and drafting in the top 10 will finally give us the opportunity to get those types of players. But right now we need to fill holes in a number of positions. #12, 30, 36, and 45, 68, and 75ish may allow us to fill more holes and restock the cupboards with talent. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of safeties or TEs in this draft that would make it worth having those extra picks in the first and third.
Even without the 3rd in there, that's a trade worth making. Use #12, 30, and 36 on two DE's (JJ Watt and Jared Crick?) and a CB (Jimmy Smith?). With 45 and 68, you can add a Safety, and maybe a NT or LB. They'd have a lot of flexibility using those two picks, or possibly moving one of them for future picks.
mattob14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #22
vercingetorix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSojia View Post

Bad idea. The team has had Champ Bailey for the last 7 years and the defense has been mostly somewhere between really bad to mediocre during that time. And there have been a lot of times where Champ seems over paid due to an inability to pressure the passer.

Denver needs to address the defensive line. It would be a major mistake to go after a DB with this pick. They need talent in the trenches that can help stop the run and pressure the passer. If you dont have a pass rush, having someone as good as Champ is almost useless.

Its shocking how people havent learned that lesson by now and are clamoring for "playmakers" at DB.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #23
vercingetorix

Assuming theres validity to that board, this is what they should do.

1. a) Nick Fairley, b) Marcell Dareus, c) Stephen Paea
2. a) J.J. Watt, b) Marvin Austin
2. a) Jerrell Powe, b) ?
Old 12-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #24
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Has Paea played well enough to garner top ten consideration this year? I mean, we will be picking top five more than likely. Not sure if he is worth it.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #25
vercingetorix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Has Paea played well enough to garner top ten consideration this year? I mean, we will be picking top five more than likely. Not sure if he is worth it.
I listed Paea in the event they might trade down. I think he can be a good two gapper. He's massively strong and I can see him becoming a NT at some point.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: