The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
cartel
Solid Starter

For the win!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default The Blitz

As I was watching the ravens-steelers game last night, I started thinking why we don't come up with any kind of creative blitz packages. The amount of blitzes both teams ran made me so envious of that kind of pressure. Our defense sucks creating pressure or turnovers playing bend don't break with our starting personnel, why not bring the freaking heat? I thought Wink was supposed to be a more aggressive d-coord. What happened?
cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

We actually do. Our team just doesn't get pressure even when we do blitz.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
Mile High Shack
Ring of Famer

Cock-a-doodle-do

you assume we have the talent to be able to blitz like that
Mile High Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Both the Ravens and Steelers front 3 take up multiple blockers which allows them to free LB's and Safeties to blitz the QB. Our lineman don't demand double teams even fat Williams can be blocked 1 on 1.
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Homer Simpson
╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮

...speak up, I'm wearing a toga

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fone Bone

I liked Champ's blitz.
Homer Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
cartel
Solid Starter

For the win!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Shack View Post
you assume we have the talent to be able to blitz like that
who cares? bring it anyways. try something because last in turnovers means it's time to ditch the old plan.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
Mile High Shack
Ring of Famer

Cock-a-doodle-do

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartel View Post
who cares? bring it anyways. try something because last in turnovers means it's time to ditch the old plan.
well, I think the secondary would care since that would leave people running wide open since we would be sending extra people in to blitz and them not get there, thus leaving the QB about 10 Mississippi to throw the ball
Mile High Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
We actually do. Our team just doesn't get pressure even when we do blitz.
Well, we did send a CB blitz that worked out nicely yesterday, but on the whole... you're 100% right.

Blitzing takes skilled blitzers, and we just don't really have them.

Again, put Doom back in this line-up, and you've got a guy opposing offenses have to account for on every play... often with two people. That is a massive boost to a pass rush.

I'm still convinced we could 2 (or so) more wins had Doom/Ayers played healthy this season. Playing without a pass rush is a massive handicap.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Well, we did send a CB blitz that worked out nicely yesterday, but on the whole... you're 100% right.

Blitzing takes skilled blitzers, and we just don't really have them.

Again, put Doom back in this line-up, and you've got a guy opposing offenses have to account for on every play... often with two people. That is a massive boost to a pass rush.

I'm still convinced we could 2 (or so) more wins had Doom/Ayers played healthy this season. Playing without a pass rush is a massive handicap.
..This will never get old
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
Homer Simpson
╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮

...speak up, I'm wearing a toga

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fone Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
..This will never get old
I don't get it, isn't it true?
Homer Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
As I was watching the ravens-steelers game last night, I started thinking why we don't come up with any kind of creative blitz packages. The amount of blitzes both teams ran made me so envious of that kind of pressure. Our defense sucks creating pressure or turnovers playing bend don't break with our starting personnel, why not bring the freaking heat? I thought Wink was supposed to be a more aggressive d-coord. What happened?
It's unfair and unrealistic to expect that a 1st year DC with very limited talent can introduce to his team the complexity and nuance you see from teams with the best defensive talent in the league.

I think most teams in the league are envious of what the Steelers and Ravens are able to do. That comes from a combination of talent and continuity. Something we've clearly lacked on that side of the ball for the last 15 years.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

This is why you keep a DC for more than a year. Get Wink some talent and let him stay as DC, instead of making that position the annual scapegoat, and see what happens over time.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #13
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Individual talent issues.

The blitz works when you have superior athletes capable of quickly beating the man across from them.

Our list of guys that can do that...

(crickets chirping...)
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #14
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
a lot of it has to do with the team you are facing on offense ...... Playing the run on the way to the quarterback might be romantic , but not very practical against teams a lot of teams .. Specially if you dont have a dominating safeties.......you look at the squeelers and ratbirds , see who they have at safety
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #15
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Beat the Chefs! Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtown View Post
This is why you keep a DC for more than a year. Get Wink some talent and let him stay as DC, instead of making that position the annual scapegoat, and see what happens over time.
I think Canton High want's it's DC back so much that they sent their HC to the Bronco sidelines yesterday. He might have been lobbying mCd to come back as his OC and Ben to be water boy.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #16
Popps
It's so easy

On a side note, would anyone here want to coach a big game with their dad breathing down your neck? I love Popps Sr. dearly, but that would just be too distracting.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #17
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
On a side note, would anyone here want to coach a big game with their dad breathing down your neck? I love Popps Sr. dearly, but that would just be too distracting.
I am glad I am not the only one who thought that was creepy. I love my dad, and my father-in -law, they can mill around before and after the game but find a seat and get some nacho's.

Per mCd's Presser I think we see his dad there the rest of the year.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #18
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Simpson View Post
I don't get it, isn't it true?
I see in a different way..I see that the coaches don't put the players in best position..They don't know how to use the talent(though it is less)..
Most importantly, our coaches don't adjust..
For instance..Moreno is running well..What did we do??..We kept throwing the ball..The same thing happened against rams also.

Doom played well last season..It might be due to Nolan's scheme.
As one poster said, we have horrible support staff(High school coaches and the coaches that failed in NFL) and that's the reason we are 3-9
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #19
cartel
Solid Starter

For the win!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

look, i get it. we don't have the talent, superior players, etc, etc. i also tend to remember with coyer, we had about the same crap talent but showed all out blitzes, zone blitzes, at least different looks. harrison was crap before he became blitz king and woodley was drafted as the 46th pick but earned his status by sacking the qb. no imagination leads to dead last in turnovers, grow some and die by the sword.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #20
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Bring back the tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I am glad I am not the only one who thought that was creepy. I love my dad, and my father-in -law, they can mill around before and after the game but find a seat and get some nacho's.

He's going to tell his daddy on Bronco fans who boo and then we're all in for big trouble because McDaddyD will call our parents. I don't know about you guys but I don't want my parents brought into this, especially going into Christmas. I want that new bike I asked for. So stop being mean to McKid.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:29 AM   #21
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
He's going to tell his daddy on Bronco fans who boo and then we're all in for big trouble because McDaddyD will call our parents. I don't know about you guys but I don't want my parents brought into this, especially going into Christmas. I want that new bike I asked for. So stop being mean to McKid.
Dude Thom McDaniels would kick Josh's ass for whining about anything like that. I'm from the area where he coaches, and he's one hardass mother****er.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #22
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Bring back the tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Dude Thom McDaniels would kick Josh's ass for whining about anything like that. I'm from the area where he coaches, and he's one hardass mother****er.
Seriously though, how's Thom McDaniels about kicking ass when his kid continually fields an ill equipped and poorly prepared team?
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #23
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
I wonder what the dynamic was like when he was "invited" to stand on the sidelines.

mCd Phone rings "Boy you need any help out there, I just finished another championship season that will go down in the annals of High School football as one of the greatest seasons ever and I see you out there in the hills all struggling and the like."

mCd: "ummmmm hi 'sniff sniff' Dad....hows 'snif' ......ummm 'snif' 'snif' mom? 'hocks up a big lugie' 'wimper'

Mr mCd: "I got me a flight and I will be there in time for your coaches meeting tomorrow now."

mCd: "Ummmm well thats great dad but ummmm I have to ask Mr Bowlen and stuff, I don't know if I will get fined again for...."

Mr mCd: "Boy I am coming out and me and Mr Bowlegs will be having a sit down, I am sure his jaw will drop when he see's all my HS Championship rings on my fingers, everyone here in Canton is stunned with those 1 and 1/4 carats of Exelence and Domination"

mCd: "'snif 'snif'" ya but"

Mr mCd: " Stop your sniveling son"

mCd: "yessir...ummm 'snif' Dad, things are way different here in the NFL, you can't just Chuck it deep to guys, it's tough, the other teams seem faster than 'snif' sniiiiiifffffff' they seemed when I was in NE and people here laugh at my hoodie and stuff"

Mr mCd: "never you mind, I will lick the father of any one that makes fun of my boy, just like that time in Kindergarten, grade school, that time during summer break, the couple hundred times in HS and that time I put that Belly's guy dad in a head lock until he gave you a title."

mCd: " Ummmmmm sniff sniff" "I guess it's ok, maybe the league won't notice and I won't get fined again"
Old 12-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #24
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post

At least keep him off to the side or something. Right behind you? WTF?

I mean, it's cool that they're a football family and all, but he's a grown man coaching an NFL team. Unless he's serving a team function, it's a little odd.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #25
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Haha I believe that. He looked scary.

I bet all kinds of assistants leak info to the press because he yells at them.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote