The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams
Default Current Draft Position

is 6th

http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.html

Last week's order, but everyone above Denver also lost and Dallas won removing the need for a coin flip between the two teams for 6th and 7th.

Remaining schedules

Carolina

1-11

Atlanta
Arizona
@Pittsburgh
@Atlanta

Detroit

2-10

Green Bay
@Tampa
@Miami
Minnesota

Cincy

2-10

@Pitt
Cleveland
San Diego
@Baltimore

Buffalo

2-10

Cleveland
@Miami
New England
@New York

Arizona

3-9

Denver
@Carolina
Dallas
@San Fran

Arizona's SOS is much weaker than Denver's, so they would need to have a better record than Denver for the Broncos to move ahead of them.

The others have a much stronger SOS, so a similar record would result in Denver moving ahead of them.

The lowest 7-9 has picked is 15th in the past 5 seasons, the highest 7-9 has picked is 9th.

There have only been three 3-13 teams over the past 5 seasons. New Orleans and Detroit both picked 2nd in '05 and '06 respectively, and Tampa picked 3rd last year.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
Homer Simpson
╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮

...speak up, I'm wearing a toga

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fone Bone

Best front 7 player available. Same with round 2, both picks. O lineman for depth in a late is the only O pick I want to see.
Homer Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Crap.

Hopefully we lose out.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Its crazy that as bad as we are, there are five worse teams
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
is 6th

http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.html

Last week's order, but everyone above Denver also lost and Dallas won removing the need for a coin flip between the two teams for 6th and 7th.

Remaining schedules

Carolina

1-11

Atlanta
Arizona
@Pittsburgh
@Atlanta

Detroit

2-10

Green Bay
@Tampa
@Miami
Minnesota

Cincy

2-10

@Pitt
Cleveland
San Diego
@Baltimore

Buffalo

2-10

Cleveland
@Miami
New England
@New York

Arizona

3-9

Denver
@Carolina
Dallas
@San Fran

Arizona's SOS is much weaker than Denver's, so they would need to have a better record than Denver for the Broncos to move ahead of them.

The others have a much stronger SOS, so a similar record would result in Denver moving ahead of them.

The lowest 7-9 has picked is 15th in the past 5 seasons, the highest 7-9 has picked is 9th.

There have only been three 3-13 teams over the past 5 seasons. New Orleans and Detroit both picked 2nd in '05 and '06 respectively, and Tampa picked 3rd last year.
Damn!
They all have tough remaining schedule.
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
Damn!
They all have tough remaining schedule.
Denver only needs 1 game from 4 of those teams.

Arizona has Denver and Carolina (though a L vs Den and a win vs Car wouldn't do anything for the Broncos)

Buffalo and Cincy both have Cleveland at home

Detroit has Miami who is terrible at home and 2 home divisional games left.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Drafting as high as we'll be this year, I question whether they'll keep the pick. I can see Mcd trading the 3rd or 4th pick overall for another 1st plus a bunch of dross, but if we do keep it, there's no question it has to be a front 7 defensive player, preferably a down lineman.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #8
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Good grief Cincy has won only two games?!?

Come on, all those other teams. Pull one out!!!!

I really hope we can get into the top five.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

If they lost out, the worst they could pick is 5th.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #10
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

If we get top five, I really hope that they institute some sort of control on rookies salaries in the new CBA.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:20 PM   #11
Finger Roll
Ring of Famer

the second pick is very possible. I see Lions, Bills and Bengals all finishing at 3-13. Wouldn't suprise me if the broncos lost out
Finger Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #12
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Looks like

3-13= pick highest-2 lowest-5

how about

4-12=
5-11=
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Simpson View Post
Best front 7 player available. Same with round 2, both picks. O lineman for depth in a late is the only O pick I want to see.
Best case would have someone want a QB and us to have the pick. Probably won't happen though. But I agree front 7. I wouldn't be against packaging one of the 2nds to move up if it meant grabbing an impact player.

If we could move down with the number one, get an extra pick, then we could use the 2 2nds to move back into the first round.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #14
Denver724
Ring of Famer

I don't trust McD to do anything.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:19 PM   #15
C130Herkload
Trash Hauler Supreme

Kickin' a$$ to save your's

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Nalen

You guys act as if McD will even be around long enough to see the draft....dead man walking.
C130Herkload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #16
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Would be huge if we lost to Arizona this week...would nearly guaruntee a better draft position than them.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:44 PM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Mcdaniels could very well be done. I figured we would lose this year but no one could guess it would unfold so poorly in other ways.

Raiders crush us like never before, spygate II, him sometimes just acting strange, the coaching break downs at certain times etc etc. How you lose games usually doesn't matter but when its consistently not just the poor talent, but also poor everything else, it's hard to say you could be 100% still behind the coach.

I can't say i didn't want the coach. I was on record in first coaching search threat wanting Mcdaniels.

So to even think Broncos will for sure be targeting 3-4 players is shortsighted. We have just as many if not more decent 4-3 players. Especially if the best prospects in the front 7 are 4-3 guys.

Stick DJ if we don't ditch him to the weakside. Let Haggan be depth, let Mays be depth, and look for a starting middle linebacker. Maybe just a journeyman avg player in FA. Or maybe Harris from NY if somehow we finally got lucky.

Then stick doom on end, Ayers on the other, draft a DT high in draft and cross our fingers. Fill other DT spot with a rotation probably with whatever we have left, or can scrape up in FA.

We could possibly draft a returner with some speed?

You can sometimes find a decent stopgap at safety in FA.

But SS/FS/CB/TE/LB could all see some attention at bottom of draft and in FA. I just hope they use the high picks on top end DT and then we hope they hit on them.

Fairly, Dareus, one of them I would think.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:46 PM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Would be huge if we lost to Arizona this week...would nearly guaruntee a better draft position than them.
They are pretty bad it will be a close game. I could also see Ariz taking a QB so them a spot ahead probably doesn't hurt as much. But if we got in front of them by a couple spots, or even 1, that could be huge.

Especially since teams like minny could want to leap up to take a QB. Or Miami, or a number of teams.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:49 PM   #19
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

No way we don't end up with at least 3-4 spots on defense with crappy players. Just can't fix 7-8 spots in one off season.

Seriously it's that bad on defense.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:24 AM   #20
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

My guess at present would be Marcel Dareus, Patrick Peterson or Prince Amukamara.

Dareus looks to me like a guy who could be one of the elite players in the league one day. He's got a mix of size, speed, power and agility that doesn't come along very often. He'd be a monster at DE for us and also a guy who we could move inside on passing downs and generate some push up the middle.

If he's there you don't think twice about putting the pick in IMO.

If not, then who knows. If the staff feels that one of the other D-Line prospects is an absolute gem of a prospect then of course you take him. But nobody has really stepped up and solidified themselves as a lock Top 10 pick other than Dareus as far as 3-4 D-Line players go. Peterson and Prince meanwhile look like absolutely amazing prospects, Peterson especially IMO.

With prospects like Adrian Clayborn, Cameron Jordan, Allen Bailey, Nick Fairley, Cameron Heyward and several others, there still should be some very nice prospects at 3-4 DE available with our early second round pick if we don't feel any of them are worth our first rounder.

It's not as simple as saying "D-Line is our biggest weakness, therefore spend our first round pick there".

We do need to spend 2 of our first 4 picks on the D-Line or I'm going to murder everyone in the world though.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:03 AM   #21
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Broncos can do so much better then 3-13. This team needs to aspire for more. With a little work they can go 2-14 or maybe even 1-15. Come on Josh I know you can find a way to do it this season, I'm cheering for you.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:13 AM   #22
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post
It's not as simple as saying "D-Line is our biggest weakness, therefore spend our first round pick there".

We do need to spend 2 of our first 4 picks on the D-Line or I'm going to murder everyone in the world though.
This is a great point. People too often want a certain position targeted out of need. Too often that means reaching for someone and it seems whenever any team reaches in the draft, the person they draft is a bust. I'm having a hard to remembering when someone reached and it worked out, actually.

That said, you can't keep ignoring your areas of need completely. I'm someone who would rather go BPA regardless, but it is clear that if you don't at least try to address need, your weaknesses will not improve.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:25 AM   #23
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
No way we don't end up with at least 3-4 spots on defense with crappy players. Just can't fix 7-8 spots in one off season.

Seriously it's that bad on defense.
I don't think we're that bad across the board defensively.

A review.

Safety:
Dawkins has gotten slapped down this year by father time and Hill hasn't been great, but still solid. McBath has been hurt too often to know much, but Bruton has been a pretty respectable sub and might have potential to start long term.

Corner:
Champ is still a top 10 player at his position. Goodman is a solid but not impressive #2, which works because come 2011 Cox is probably taking his job. Thompson and Vaughn are some nice young prospects to have battling for nickel and dime work.

OLB:
Whole different team if we have Doom and Ayers healthy all season. Hunter is not starter quality but he'd be a real good backup. Being able to make Haggan into the backup OLB/ILB swing guy would also do wonders for the LB play as a whole.

ILB:
DJ gets washed out in traffic, but this is the DL's job to stop. He's good in coverage and has been making some big plays. Joe Mays looks like the real deal as a two down ILB thumper.

Then we get to DL, where we've got one solid player (Bannan) and then trash. Absolute trash. And as a result we see OTs and OGs double teaming Ayers when he's freshly returning from a broken foot, OGs and Cs getting free shots on DJ to open running lanes, etc..

This team really could do a complete 180 with something approaching good DL play. A single impact DL with one or two solid starter types layered in with Bannan, pushing guys like Vickerson to the full time rotational/bench role and not starting. You do that and the OLBs get more pass rush, the ILBs stuff the run better, and the secondary isn't asked to cover everyone for 5 seconds while at the same time keeping an eye on run contain.

Trade back/forward as needed to get impact NT and DE types out of the first two rounds, pony up real money to get a legit FA signing or two in house. Watch this defense magically transform before your eyes.

Last edited by Drek; 12-06-2010 at 07:28 AM..
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #24
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

screw losing, I hope we win out
plenty of quality 3-4 ends in this draft to pick from

with the exception of Dareous we should have our pick of the litter and wont have to pick in the top 10 for that
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #25
briane
Seasoned Veteran

http://www.privatepostmark.com

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It makes me sick that I am rooting for a draft pick...that just sucks.
briane is offline   Reply With Quote