The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
goldengopher1976
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball
Default (Perhaps) a different observation.

I've got 2 main observations I keep coming back to in trying to understand our difficulties.

The first is one that's been named regularly here, though I'm not sure it's fully appreciated. The bottom line is that our lack of a pass rush is killing us, and the trickle-down effect is devastating, especially because our defense can't get off the field on 3rd down. I won't spell out how pervasive this particular deficiency is, though from my perspective, this is the single biggest gameplay issue we face.

My second observation, and the one I haven't heard anyone make (though I haven't read extensively) is that we are a mentally weak team. The thing I've been trying to discern lately is whether or not that mental weakness is due to our lack of experience at key positions, or if it starts at the top (i.e. w/ McDaniels--of whom I've been a consistent supporter, btw). I seem to see a consistent inability to overcome adversity.

We play poorly from behind. Our bad play spirals and the negativity feeds itself. And finally, we seem to play into distinct tendencies when we're down, the play-calling gets unimaginative and predictable. Now, perhaps that's because McDaniels is condescending his play-calling to accommodate an offensive unit that struggles under pressure, but whatever the case, I just don't see a mentally strong team on the field right now.

My two cents.
goldengopher1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Your second point has been noted many times on here. It's clear as hell when this team gets down they lay down and remind themselves about their big game checks that are on the way and don't play for pride.

The Dawkins acquisition speaks volumes in my eyes. We bring in a 36 year old vet well beyond his best years and he immediately becomes the overall leader of the defense. That should never happen. Unfortunately we have mostly defensive players that wouldn't start for other teams and our other leaders are like Champ Bailey who doesn't talk.

This isn't a McDaniels thing though, it has been noticeable for a while now.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
LongDongJohnson
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

we need a beast LB to be the leader of the defense. DJ Williams will never be that guy.

We could use an Al Wilson clone.
LongDongJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Good points. Better drafting a getting Doom healthy fixes 1. I hope Tebow can help fix 2 and 3.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
goldengopher1976
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
Your second point has been noted many times on here. It's clear as hell when this team gets down they lay down and remind themselves about their big game checks that are on the way and don't play for pride.

The Dawkins acquisition speaks volumes in my eyes. We bring in a 36 year old vet well beyond his best years and he immediately becomes the overall leader of the defense. That should never happen. Unfortunately we have mostly defensive players that wouldn't start for other teams and our other leaders are like Champ Bailey who doesn't talk.

This isn't a McDaniels thing though, it has been noticeable for a while now.
Guess I should read more...I've stopped reading most of the threads because it feels like I'm constantly having to wade through the crap to find a good take or a valid point.

Will be interesting to see how we respond in KC today...
goldengopher1976 is offline   Reply With Quote