The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
mwill07
Ring of Famer
 
mwill07's Avatar
 
Lurker Extraordinaire

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,039

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM
Default OT - ski deals?

I'm planning a little mini-vacation with the wife to come out to CO for the SD game JAN02, and get a little skiing in. Anyone got any insights on ang good(read: cheapest) deals?

If it matters, she's ski'ed once in her life and I'm not all that great either, having ski'ed once in the past 10 years. With that in mind, i'm not sure it would be worth as full price lift ticket at the Vail/Aspen/Breck/etc. Also, being close to Denver would be great, i don't really want to drive all over the front range.

Any other colorado weekend vacation tips are appreciated.
mwill07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
Meck77
.
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 16,835
Default

You might try King Soopers Grocery store. Just give one of them a call. They usually sell discounted tickets.

Loveland, Winter Park are pretty close. A-basin is a great locals mountain but not a lot of beginner stuff. Haven't been to the new echo mountain. Very close but small.

If you are going on a weekend beware of brutal traffic. If you are going Sat or Sunday either leave real early or leave late and just do half day tickets. You don't want to hit I-70 right after all the lifts close either. Best to have a dinner after skiing and wait a couple hours otherwise you are sitting in traffic anyway.

www.yelp.com Best site for any metro area restaurants/entertainment. Real people with real reviews!

Oh and lastly...If the roads are icy don't drive your honda accord up the mountain. Even if you have a 4 wheel drive make sure to drive VERY carefully and in the slow lane if you aren't use to winter driving. Can't tell you how many BIG "bad ass" 4 wheel drives up in the ditch because the idiots think because their truck is bigger they can go faster. A beater subaru with the right snow tires can beat any 4 wheel drive on the road no matter how fancy it is.

Last edited by Meck77; 12-04-2010 at 10:07 AM..
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
mwill07
Ring of Famer
 
mwill07's Avatar
 
Lurker Extraordinaire

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,039

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM
Default

I am thinking of doing the skiing either sat, 1/1 or Monday, 1/3. I'm sure the crowds will be much worse on saturday.

ome place I'm looking @ is Eldora, outside of Boulder. Thoughts there?
mwill07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Marshall Dumervil
Seasoned Veteran
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 345

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
I am thinking of doing the skiing either sat, 1/1 or Monday, 1/3. I'm sure the crowds will be much worse on saturday.

ome place I'm looking @ is Eldora, outside of Boulder. Thoughts there?
I was just going to suggest Eldora. It's small, but for you guys it would probably be great. No hassle of I-70, cheaper than the big resorts too. Most people that ski/board a lot don't want to go there because of the size, there's just not enough terrain. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Also if you have some extra time, run up to Lyons. Oskar Blues has great food and beer. Be sure to have a Leroy.

And if you're into pinball, next door is Lyons Classic Pinball. Awesome place, about 40 pins from all eras. The owner, Kevin, is a great guy. I head up every few weeks to drink Leroy's and play pinball.

Last edited by Marshall Dumervil; 12-04-2010 at 10:26 AM..
Marshall Dumervil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!
 
TailgateNut's Avatar
 
.......as much as tebonites

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mile High
Posts: 20,301

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
You might try King Soopers Grocery store. Just give one of them a call. They usually sell discounted tickets.

Loveland, Winter Park are pretty close. A-basin is a great locals mountain but not a lot of beginner stuff. Haven't been to the new echo mountain. Very close but small.

If you are going on a weekend beware of brutal traffic. If you are going Sat or Sunday either leave real early or leave late and just do half day tickets. You don't want to hit I-70 right after all the lifts close either. Best to have a dinner after skiing and wait a couple hours otherwise you are sitting in traffic anyway.

www.yelp.com Best site for any metro area restaurants/entertainment. Real people with real reviews!

Oh and lastly...If the roads are icy don't drive your honda accord up the mountain. Even if you have a 4 wheel drive make sure to drive VERY carefully and in the slow lane if you aren't use to winter driving. Can't tell you how many BIG "bad ass" 4 wheel drives up in the ditch because the idiots think because their truck is bigger they can go faster. A beater subaru with the right snow tires can beat any 4 wheel drive on the road no matter how fancy it is.

Good post/reply. You mentioned my three favorite ski areas. A-Basin is still my top choice. Gotta love skiing down to the "beach" on "bikini days" and regular days too.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!
 
TailgateNut's Avatar
 
.......as much as tebonites

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mile High
Posts: 20,301

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Dumervil View Post
I was just going to suggest Eldora. It's small, but for you guys it would probably be great. No hassle of I-70, cheaper than the big resorts too. Most people that ski/board a lot don't want to go there because of the size, there's just not enough terrain. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Also if you have some extra time, run up to Lyons. Oskar Blues has great food and beer. Be sure to have a Leroy.

And if you're into pinball, next door is Lyons Classic Pinball. Awesome place, about 40 pins from all eras. The owner, Kevin, is a great guy. I head up every few weeks to drink Leroy's and play pinball.

There's also an awesome German reastaurant which I hit everytime we ride to Lyons. I love making the trip up through Nederland, then hit the Peak to Peak Hwy, and then down to Lyons for lunch and some blues in the evening.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
Marshall Dumervil
Seasoned Veteran
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 345

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
There's also an awesome German reastaurant which I hit everytime we ride to Lyons. I love making the trip up through Nederland, then hit the Peak to Peak Hwy, and then down to Lyons for lunch and some blues in the evening.
What/where's the german place? In the downtown area? I'd like to try it next time.
Marshall Dumervil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,862

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Dammit, I just realized I forgot to buy a season pass again.

I'm going to try and accomplish this tonight... anyone know ideas?
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,862

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Dumervil View Post
What/where's the german place? In the downtown area? I'd like to try it next time.
Yeah, the Bavarian restaurant in Nederland is called Black Forrest. It's one of the first lodges you pass on the left when approaching Nederland from Gilpin county, right on highway 72.

BUT there is a great restaurant across the street from Black Forrest called Savory Cafe. It's simple cafe fare - Burgers and stuff, but they make their own ketchup, and mustard and stuff and everything is really good.

Edit - the website: http://www.blackforestrest.com/

Last edited by Mogulseeker; 12-04-2010 at 10:58 AM..
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 21,177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
Good post/reply. You mentioned my three favorite ski areas. A-Basin is still my top choice. Gotta love skiing down to the "beach" on "bikini days" and regular days too.
Gotta love bikini days whenever they are
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #11
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!
 
TailgateNut's Avatar
 
.......as much as tebonites

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mile High
Posts: 20,301

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Dumervil View Post
What/where's the german place? In the downtown area? I'd like to try it next time.
Yep. If you are in Lyons at the junction in the road near Oskar Blues head east on the main drag toward longmont and it'll be on your left (north side of road) maybe 1/4 mile. Really authentic German food.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
enjolras
Ring of Famer
 
enjolras's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,798
Default

Word of warning about loveland. It's both very high and REALLY cold. Most of the resort is above the tree line which means it can be very windy.

I primarily do my skiing at Loveland these days. Generally very good snow and always the least crowded resort anywhere near Denver. Just bundle up and plan on spending a bit more time between runs in the lodge.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:45 PM   #13
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!
 
TailgateNut's Avatar
 
.......as much as tebonites

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mile High
Posts: 20,301

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
Word of warning about loveland. It's both very high and REALLY cold. Most of the resort is above the tree line which means it can be very windy.
I primarily do my skiing at Loveland these days. Generally very good snow and always the least crowded resort anywhere near Denver. Just bundle up and plan on spending a bit more time between runs in the lodge.

Especially when you cross over to the other side of the tunnel. Some of those double black diamonds are "interesting" to say the least.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #14
Que
Gettin' some
 
Que's Avatar
 
Just the tip

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 1,249
Default

Check out Crested Butte - www.skicb.com. I know they do some ridonkulous package deals before Xmas. Not sure for your time range.
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #15
misturanderson
Ring of Famer
 
Why not?

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diago
Posts: 1,792

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas
Default

I would second Loveland. Eldora is alright, but the terrain is either really easy or probably more advanced than you would like with not much in between. Also, none of the runs are very long. A lot of time spent in line/riding the lifts.

Neither place has high-speed lifts which can be a pain, but at least at Loveland you have more choices of relatively easy terrain to chose from. Loveland is also an easier drive, less driving on icy 2-lane roads through the mountains if the weather is bad at all. I would guess their prices are comparable, Loveland may even be cheaper.

Just my opinion, but having had a pass to both resorts, Loveland is far superior. I would never get a pass to Eldora again unless I lived in Boulder.

Copper Mountain would probably be even better if you go on a weekday (too busy on weekends) as they have the high-speed lifts and even more terrain to chose from. You pay about 1 1/2 times as much for their tickets though and can expect to drive about 1 1/2 to 2 times as long.

Last edited by misturanderson; 12-04-2010 at 04:41 PM..
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tebow reportedly turning down 7-figure endorsement deals to focus on football BroncoSojia Orange Mane Central Discussion 37 12-19-2010 12:14 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:19 PM.


Denver Broncos