The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default Elway throws his hat in the ring?

Interesting enough, just listened to the 87.7's Elway show this morning.
Josh is very clearly campaigning for the GM job. Stated that he wasn't Woody's source (which I think Woody acknowledged was Shanahan?), but that he would be glad to talk to the Broncos "to see what is available." He talked a lot about personal decisions - in particular with the draft - and stated that he wasn't a personal expert, but listening to his statements, he also make things clear that he viewed the Personal guy as part of the team, not as the GM. Then he explicitly stated "I could find that guy" and if asked, he would rejoin the Broncos if asked.

Said that Josh was spreading himself way to thin. He is a hands on guy, and it's hard to be very good at a lot of different things. Said he is as smart a coach as any in the NFL.

Are the Broncos looking, or is Elway just offering? Between this, and the other rumors floating around, I think it's fair to say that a lot of people thing a front office purge is coming, and are getting into position to make a run at it.

I like this idea - but it does break one cardinal rule of business - never hire anyone you can't afford to fire.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Honestly, I think having the Duke in there in some capacity could have the same sort of impact Ozzie has on the Ravens

I really hope it happens in some way...maybe not GM but some position of influence
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

I think I'd rather have Elway in the owner's box than GM. Some sort of VP would be good though.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

interesting thoughts and it would suck if Elway was trash at a GM position. You have to be thick skinned and put personal feelings aside when you become coach or take a F.O. job. I hardly ever hear him criticize and calling Josh as smart as anyone in the NFL at coaching shows he will say something nice even when it probably isnt true.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
Popps
It's so easy

Wow, cool news.

I think the trick is that he'd have to be in some sort of personnel position, but not a GM. He's just not qualified to be a GM, it would seem.

Would be great to have him in the fold, though.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
interesting thoughts and it would suck if Elway was trash at a GM position. You have to be thick skinned and put personal feelings aside when you become coach or take a F.O. job. I hardly ever hear him criticize and calling Josh as smart as anyone in the NFL at coaching shows he will say something nice even when it probably isnt true.
or, maybe he really believes it?
Old 12-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Great players normally make lousy coaches .....
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

just about every business venture elway has been involved in has been a failure. Pass
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #9
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Wow, cool news.

I think the trick is that he'd have to be in some sort of personnel position, but not a GM. He's just not qualified to be a GM, it would seem.

Would be great to have him in the fold, though.
Actually, he was trying to sell the reverse - "he could find" the personnel guy. Which makes sense, given his dad.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #10
Liquid Courage
The 4th Amigo

Put Elway in as VP of Ops; get a real GM that knows personnel and contract structures and then one of two things would need to happen:
1) take control of the coaching choices and get vetted coordinators that can teach talent and get the most out of them - forcing McD to be either a HC and act like one (not like an over-extended OC which he is acting like now) or to leave and . .
2) eliminate McD and let Elway go tap the shoulder of the guy I think he wants - Harbaugh - who is a Stanford chum and a guy who knows the impact of surrounding himself with better coaches than he is; allowing him to do the things a real HC should do.
Liquid Courage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #11
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
Actually, he was trying to sell the reverse - "he could find" the personnel guy. Which makes sense, given his dad.
I see.

Would be great to listen to this. Do they replay or archive online?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #12
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
just about every business venture elway has been involved in has been a failure. Pass
hardly

the Crush won the arena bowl and the Arena League itself failed, not the team
Old 12-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #13
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I see.

Would be great to listen to this. Do they replay or archive online?
Yes. http://www.stationcaster.com/player_...&c=738&f=64052
Old 12-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #14
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Yeah. I want to sell my car dealerships for $82 million and have that be considered a failure.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #15
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Quote:
Yeah. I want to sell my car dealerships for $82 million and have that be considered a failure.

Yup, others could have gotten at least $83 million!
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #16
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Everyone knows his name was on it, but he didn't run it. You people are so desperate and think it's a quick fix. "Just hire that guy, and all will be well." Hardly. Elway was the greatest QB to play the game, but his playing days are over.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #17
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Quote:
I agree with John, they should have kicked the ball away rather than the onside kick. Especially after the 5 yard penalty. That almost ensured a touchback. Cost themselves a lot of field position.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #18
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Everyone knows his name was on it, but he didn't run it.
He owned them. Then he sold them. He made a fortune.

Quote:
You people are so desperate and think it's a quick fix. "Just hire that guy, and all will be well." Hardly. Elway was the greatest QB to play the game, but his playing days are over.
Drop the generalizations please. I think people are desperate for a fix in the front office, and for someone other then Josh to be the face of the franchise.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #19
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlayShay View Post
I agree with John, they should have kicked the ball away rather than the onside kick. Especially after the 5 yard penalty. That almost ensured a touchback. Cost themselves a lot of field position.
Offense wasn't having problems at that point. Defense was. Onside gives you two seperate chances. The chance to recover the onside (in good field position for you), and the chance to do a three and out.
I really think it was the right call. The broncos just failed to execute when they got the ball back.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #20
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Actually it is true. McD is a smart coach. Terrible people person, but a smart coach.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #21
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Since when is Elway qualified for ANY position on our team other than maybe helping out the QBs?

It's ridiculous to think he would fit in anywhere here - pass.
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #22
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
so MVP.com didnt pan out but I think his car business was sold for a tidy profit and then got into the business again (and may I say my cousin was partners with him on one auto adventure) and has done very well here in California. Has his restuarant failed? I think his investments in property or business would be a separate catagory as football related. If he has the knack for picking talent and matching personel for this team, why wouldnt he get an interview?
Old 12-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #23
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
Great players normally make lousy coaches .....
Considering a lot of coaches actually played in the NFL and won SB's I don't agree with this statement.

Sure there are guys like Bart Starr but then there are guys like Landry, I think it is a wash at the least.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #24
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Everyone knows his name was on it, but he didn't run it. You people are so desperate and think it's a quick fix. "Just hire that guy, and all will be well." Hardly. Elway was the greatest QB to play the game, but his playing days are over.
You dont know wtf you are talking about. His name is on it because he is the owner. He goes to owner meetings and I just talked to my cousin a few weeks ago and they had an owner's meeting in Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County). He was there with my cousin and all the others in the sphere (not sure if it was just Nissan as that is what my cousin owns in Avondale, AZ). He also gave an inpromto (sic?) speech that my cousin Mike stated was leaderlike and motivating. GB, you are completely wrong. He has been in the car business now for many years and is probably his top business by far. Dont back track and just come out and say, "Im was talking out of my ass and I had no idea what goes on in Elway's personal business." Honesty is the best policy.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #25
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Interesting enough, just listened to the 87.7's Elway show this morning.
Josh is very clearly campaigning for the GM job. Stated that he wasn't Woody's source (which I think Woody acknowledged was Shanahan?), but that he would be glad to talk to the Broncos "to see what is available." He talked a lot about personal decisions - in particular with the draft - and stated that he wasn't a personal expert, but listening to his statements, he also make things clear that he viewed the Personal guy as part of the team, not as the GM. Then he explicitly stated "I could find that guy" and if asked, he would rejoin the Broncos if asked.

Said that Josh was spreading himself way to thin. He is a hands on guy, and it's hard to be very good at a lot of different things. Said he is as smart a coach as any in the NFL.

Are the Broncos looking, or is Elway just offering? Between this, and the other rumors floating around, I think it's fair to say that a lot of people thing a front office purge is coming, and are getting into position to make a run at it.

I like this idea - but it does break one cardinal rule of business - never hire anyone you can't afford to fire.
Footsteps and I have been discussing this in the Gruden thread: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=95441 I'm not sure GM is the right spot for him, but I do think that Josh needs another set of hands that can provide some guidance and take over some of his responsibilities. I personally think we should bring him in as VP of Football operations, which was one of Shanny's old titles I think. There is no one with this position currently, and there really isn't anyone who can manage Josh and Xanders from a football perspective with any relevant experience, right now. Ellis can't, and Bowlen can't, and there isn't anyone else. We need someone doing this in a full time role. I think Josh would actually support this, but who knows. I know he has an ego, as all NFL head coaches do, but I don't necessarily see him as a guy who is mad for power.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote