The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Default Nasty Nate Jackson sez

Quote:
On Monday, Derek Anderson was scolded for smiling on camera during the Cardinals' loss to the 49ers, leading to his "Nothing is funny to me" tirade. Ex-NFL player Nate Jackson defends his former colleague from Jon Gruden and all the rest of the "emotionally stunted football pedants."

What's funny? What's so funny, Derek? What's so ****ing funny?!

The fact that someone actually cares that Derek Anderson and his teammate shared a laugh or was it just a smile? on the sideline the other night is itself laughable. Sure, they were getting rolled by the Niners. And yes, Derek Anderson was playing like ****. But where do people get off trying to gauge his competitive spirit from an image on a TV screen? Every single NFL quarterback I have ever met is fiercely competitive, almost annoyingly so. Derek Anderson is no different. We were teammates for one week in Cleveland last summer. Not long enough to learn his life story, but long enough to realize that he, like every other quarterback in the league, takes pride in what he does and takes his job seriously. He knows that, good or bad, the responsibility for the Cardinals' offensive performance falls squarely on his shoulders.

Blame for this non-issue being an issue starts with the Monday Night Football production team. You see that you have caught the quarterback in a candid moment. Exercise some restraint here. Maybe they saw someone trip and fall. That's always funny. Even in a blowout loss. Even at a funeral. But we're talking about Jon Gruden here, and to Gruden, diabolical football robot blowhard, losing a football game is worse than someone dying. This is not hyperbole. He's the kind of football coach you don't want to play for. Sure, he knows his ****. But he's also a guy who'll throw a player under the bus on national television just for not being adequately sad-faced. You saw what he did to Derek Anderson. Imagine how he treated his players behind closed doors.

Gruden's little bit of social psychology got the ball rolling, and a clever reporter took it from there. In the postgame exchange, all you see is Derek's face, so we are unable to get a good idea of who we are dealing with. For the record, this is the guy, Kent Somers:

(Why the smile? Something funny, Kent? Your industry is in shambles. What's so funny about that?)

Referencing Gruden's remarks, Somers pointedly reminded Anderson that this wasn't a pointed question, that he just wanted to know what was so funny. What's funny is the way many sports journalists have convinced themselves that they know what it takes to be a successful athlete. Hunkered down over computers, poring through statistics, biting their fingernails, and in this case, buoyed by the words of a former coach (another non-athlete), the journalist truly believes that Anderson's smiling on the sideline during a loss actually matters, that it says something profound about his will to win. I witnessed a similar situation in Denver with Jake Plummer and a local media that couldn't hide their John Elway-induced boners. Nothing Jake ever did was Elway enough: the way he played, the way he looked, the way he talked. This media obsession essentially swayed public opinion away from Jake and his three straight playoff appearances, and he was benched mid-season with a 7-4 record. The Broncos haven't made the playoffs since.

Anderson has played in hundreds of football games in his life. He knows what it feels like to win, and he knows what it feels like to lose. What would be a more appropriate response? What would Gruden and Somers rather see? Tears? A thrown Gatorade bucket? Being able to share a moment, comical or otherwise, with a teammate on the sideline is a quintessential sporty experience. Players go through a lot together. They see the same things on a day-to-day basis. Monday night, Derek Anderson and Deuce Lutui saw something funny. Let them laugh.

Instead, a grown man was provoked into losing his cool and dropping ****bombs all over the airwaves. So now the manufactured perception is that the quarterback not only doesn't give a **** about his team losing, but that he can't keep his cool either. So let's run his ass out of town because a couple of emotionally stunted football pedants can't relax and laugh it off. Meanwhile, in his second year as head coach of the Tampa Bay Bucs, frequent laugher Raheem Morris has his team playing better than any Gruden-coached team has in years. Now that's funny.

Nate Jackson played tight end for the Denver Broncos from 2003 to 2008. His writing has also appeared in Slate and The New York Times.
http://deadspin.com/5703213/a-former...obot-blowhards

Not bad Nate, not bad. Though he probably strained his wrists from typing this (on IR now).
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Much better writer than he was a tight end.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
Popps
It's so easy

I witnessed a similar situation in Denver with Jake Plummer and a local media that couldn't hide their John Elway-induced boners. Nothing Jake ever did was Elway enough: the way he played, the way he looked, the way he talked. This media obsession essentially swayed public opinion away from Jake and his three straight playoff appearances, and he was benched mid-season with a 7-4 record. The Broncos haven't made the playoffs since.

Zing.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

My favorite part:

Quote:

(Why the smile? Something funny, Kent? Your industry is in shambles. What's so funny about that?)
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton

Nothing Jake ever did was Elway enough:

Umm...doesn't every QB that comes to Denver know that?
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

oh booohooo, poor jake the mistake plummer
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Man coverage on the outside in an AFC championship, man's got to deliver the ball.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I witnessed a similar situation in Denver with Jake Plummer and a local media that couldn't hide their John Elway-induced boners. Nothing Jake ever did was Elway enough: the way he played, the way he looked, the way he talked. This media obsession essentially swayed public opinion away from Jake and his three straight playoff appearances, and he was benched mid-season with a 7-4 record. The Broncos haven't made the playoffs since.

Zing.
Geez Nate what's the difference between 3 straight playoff appearances that produce 1 win, in spite of Plummer, and no playoff appearances. Not much
And yeah Nate it was the media that swayed us "public opinions". Couldn't possibly have been Plummer's play.

As far as Derek Anderson's smile, no worse than Moreno dancing in the end zone after a TD making the score now 35-6 and no better than Orton's sad sack face after pulling a boner.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Geez Nate what's the difference between 3 straight playoff appearances that produce 1 win, in spite of Plummer, and no playoff appearances. Not much
And yeah Nate it was the media that swayed us "public opinions". Couldn't possibly have been Plummer's play.
Benching him worked out well, though... huh? No more playoffs, no more coach. No more winning.

Oh well!
Old 12-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Benching him worked out well, though... huh? No more playoffs, no more coach. No more winning.

Oh well!
Exactley, no Super Bowl win= failed season!!!
Playoff's schmayoff's
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Fans are stuck because they can't actually affect the outcome. Thus they don't get any emotional release of actually doing. Knowing you tried and lost is easier than watching others.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Listen to Nate.

He spent a whole week with Derek Anderson.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #13
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

In bed
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #14
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

I always liked Nate's writing. This is no exception. Good piece. I always get annoyed when people here and elsewhere get all pissed when athletes show any emotion besides being gut-wrenchingly depressed after a blowout. Granted, my football experience is limited to 6 years (2 middle school, 4 high school), but I've experienced a few blowouts, most of them at the end of long playoff runs, and my teammates and I used humor to help the situation. It's not a big deal.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
In bed

With Bob in a gimp suit on the floor.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #16
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
I always liked Nate's writing. This is no exception. Good piece. I always get annoyed when people here and elsewhere get all pissed when athletes show any emotion besides being gut-wrenchingly depressed after a blowout. Granted, my football experience is limited to 6 years (2 middle school, 4 high school), but I've experienced a few blowouts, most of them at the end of long playoff runs, and my teammates and I used humor to help the situation. It's not a big deal.
Especially when someone trips over his own cleats and face plants himself.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #17
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hades View Post
Exactley, no Super Bowl win= failed season!!!
Playoff's schmayoff's
Yea, I know... right? It's always better not to get to the playoffs. You've got a better chance of making a Superbowl that way.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #18
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Old 12-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #19
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
I absolutely disagree. I want them to be crying and pounding their chests, wailing with emotion.

The big deal the announcers made over his "candid moment" was childish at best and psychotic at worst.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #20
Gort
Ring of Famer

Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

Quote:
Gruden, diabolical football robot blowhard
hear! hear!

i'd like to motion that from this day henceforth, Jon Gruden only be referred to as "Diabolical Football Robot Blowhard" or "DFRB" for short.

do i have a second to this motion?
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #21
Gort
Ring of Famer

Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
the difference between Elway and Plummer is that Plummer was a jerk.

BTW, Elway was caught laughing on the sidelines during one of our superbowl blowouts... probably the one to the 49ers. i don't recall it being such a big deal, but i know it happened because i've heard from a few Elway-haters over the years about it.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #22
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post

BTW, Elway was caught laughing on the sidelines during one of our superbowl blowouts... probably the one to the 49ers. i don't recall it being such a big deal, but i know it happened because i've heard from a few Elway-haters over the years about it.

at least plummer was better than Brian Griese !

The look of complete devastation was written all over John's face after that game
Old 12-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #23
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Nate was never (insert the name of any TE we've ever had) enough for the Denver media.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #24
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post

If it was the 89 SB, its only because the interwebz wasnt in full swing then. The shine would totally be off Elway, Jordan, Gretzky and the like were the interwebz around in the 80s.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:24 AM   #25
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Perhaps fans might be quick to leap to condlusions about guys yuckin' it up on the sidelines because they are simply conditioned to think NFL players don't give a **** about teamwork instead of their personal glory. I mean why else would we see all these guys posing for the ESPN cameras after making a tackle 9 yards downfield or showing off with stupid end zone antics when they're down 35-7?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote