The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2010, 01:33 AM   #1
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Default GF Xmas gift help pls Dslr Cams ...

I Know Pez and Jason in L.A. could help so I put this in main forum if the mods wouldn't mind leaving it for a bit if you could be so kind...

SO my girlfriend wants a Dslr cam for xmas and I know very little about this crap , might you let me bounce some ideas off you all and if you want to direct me a different direction by all means feel free ...

I don't want to spend a ton on this because she doesn't take loads of pics and basically wants something better then her point and click digital after seeing some pics a friend of mine took with the entry price Rebels ...
My parents got remarried last month and a friend of mine took some pics with a Rebel xs and they was just KILLER compared to a standard digital , even my higher end digital wasn't even close... So I just want something if there is a special occasion that will take nice above average pics...

Here's 3 I been looking into , the 1st just being the cheapest.

The cheapest being this , a fellow maner bfoflcommish has the slightly more costly version of this the a330 and It took really nice pics that he posted here a few weeks ago... The A230 is basically the same cam minus live view and tilting screen ...

Sony Alpha A230L $349.00
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-Alpha...gital/11089350

The entry price Rebel OS Rebel XS $499

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eos-Rebel-...gital/10669032

and this sony which is really cool "i think" even if "I don't think" it comes with as good of lens right out of the box as the other two If I'm understanding what I'm reading.
I think this one is the newest of the 3 and one of the smallest dslr on the market and really sweet BUT doesn't come with 10/55 lens like the other two it just has a 16mm Lens which might even be plenty ... It doesn't have a view finder tho but you can buy one as a add on....

I think the NEX might be the best if you feel like spending a little extra in add ons and it is SWEET that it is that tiny ... "the girlfriend liked that it wasn't much bigger then her point and shoot , but I'm not sure if it performs as well as the Rebel and if the other coming with different lens is a issue or if she will even ever need something more then what the nex comes with...

Sony Alpha NEX-3A $499
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-NEX-3A-R/14701920
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666192704

Here is a side by side of the last two

http://www.camera-catalog.com/compar...anon_eos_1000d

But I don't know enough about them to use it really ....

All of these would be a big upgrade to what she has now but I just wanted to know is one WAY better then the others and if there is a reason i WOULDN'T want one of them and if that tiny Nex is something I should stay away from. And I'm not buying it at Walmart , they just happened to have all 3 so if you know someplace having a sale or something point me that way pls...

But I figure when you don't know something you find someone who does and then listen .... Little help

Last edited by TDmvp; 12-01-2010 at 01:44 AM..
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2010, 01:37 AM   #2
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

I love my Nikon D3000.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:47 AM   #3
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
I love my Nikon D3000.

Yea I seen that as well and it's in the price range I feel like dumping on this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nikon-10.2...it-WM/13013045

thx for mentioning it I'll watch a review or two on it.

It's right at 499 like 2 of the ones I was looking at...
Old 12-01-2010, 02:19 AM   #4
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

I shoot with a Canon EOS 7D and have shot with Nikons and Canons. In general I think if you're looking to upgrade someone from a P&S camera to a DSLR unless a beginner is a rabid shooter, I'd should stick with simplicity over complexity, something with a small lightweight body and a do-it-all lens in the wide angle to short telephono range. With any DSLR in your price range you have to factor in the crop factor for the lense, which means unlike 35mm film cameras, you need to multiply the focal length by either 1.5 (Nikon) or 1.6 (Canon) which gives you the adusted true focal length. Ex: a Nikon f3.5 18-55mm lense will give you a true focal length of 27-82mm, making it a good wide-to short telephoto. In general I'd stick with Nikon or Canon in camera bodies...personal preference but probably what a lot of photographers will also tell you. Lenses are important, and if you want to save a bit, check out the Tamron and Tokina series for 3rd party lens manufacturers if Canon/Nikon is out of price range. Canon's Rebel series is a good choice for a beginner I would think. I would not buy a DSLR at Walmart because you may be getting a model built especially for Walmart...ie cheaper, less features, etc. Try B&H Photo mail order, good prices, free shipping, full USA warranty. Hope this helps.

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 12-01-2010 at 02:26 AM..
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:39 AM   #5
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I shoot with a Canon EOS 7D
Thx man , the more I keep reading the more I'm just leaning toward the Rebel Xs or either the A330 because I don't know much about the NEX and just because it's cute don't mean it's good.

I remember another thread here somewhere on this topic talking about get the Rebel and with it and the choices of lens you can get it's sorta the can't go wrong choice and it comes with that 18-55mm you mentioned ...

The Sony Alpha A230L and A330 don't look bad either considering they come with the better lens... It's also cheaper and could blow the other money on some accessories

And thx for conforming what I thought I read someplace else about walmart carrying special builds, I just used there website because it had all 3 in one place... I'll be buying it either direct from the company or I even considered through Dell just so I could get their gold 5 year warranty which I've loved on my lappy .

But thx for the info Footsteps , I knew there was a few here who knew lots about this field so I figured best place to turn was to you all.
I most likely will just go with the rebel unless someone talks me outa it.

Last edited by TDmvp; 12-01-2010 at 03:05 AM..
Old 12-01-2010, 03:15 AM   #6
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

I was reading from this thread just now

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=88829
and found this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
While the typical choice is to get a Nikon or Canon, I got a huge bargin on a Sony Alpha DSLR A350 last year. Sony's first generation cameras were panned pretty hard, but the new Alpha's use Minolta lenses and there are also Zeiss lenses if you have a lot of money to burn, have stabilization built into the camera, not the lenses (which makes lenses cheaper). The new model of the 350 is the A380L

If you are looking for a transition from a compact camera, this is a pretty good option. Typically cheaper, but 6000 pictures (in the last year) later, I am still very happy with it, and just picked up a telephoto lens for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemonkey View Post
Spot on. Sony purchased Konica Minolta which now supplies key ingredients to their SLR line. After comparing to Nikon/Canon I recently purchased the A380 for the wifey. The base is super light and you can swap in vintage Minolta lenses. You can't take anything away from Canon/Nikon but I was very surprised by the quality of Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBleed Orange and Blue View Post
i have a sony alpha series and i reccomend it to anyone. Not only is it as good as the canon's you can use kodak/minolta lenses on it. So instead of paying 700 dolalrs for a wide angle lens, get a minolta one on ebay for 50 bucks. The money you will save will make it worth it. Bestbuy usually runs a special on the sony's every so often. usually you can get the camera, regular lens, telephoto (zoom) lens and some other goodies at a GREAT package price.
Can the a230 and the a330 use all those other companies lens ??

Can anyone tell me any reasons I wouldn't want to go with the A230 the A330 or something from that sony A line if I wanted to save a little and be able to get her a couple other little things.

Last edited by TDmvp; 12-01-2010 at 03:27 AM..
Old 12-01-2010, 05:02 AM   #7
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Thanks for the comments, as I'm looking at these exact same options.
SpringStein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:06 AM   #8
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Very happy with my nikon d40 about 3 of my friends have bought one after seeing mine. Easy to use and the pics always come out looking great.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:08 AM   #9
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by killericon View Post
i love my nikon d3000.
+1
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:12 AM   #10
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

hey TDMVP, this must be the year of looking at DSLR camera's. I am in the market as well, and have been looking at buying one. I've found a website thru a friend that is very informative and he gives you his recommendations. I found it to be very helpful.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:13 AM   #11
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

So, I guess it's off season ?
Pony Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:18 AM   #12
SoDak Bronco

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

FYI, last year this guy recommended the Nikon D3000, which my brother bought and has been very happy with.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:19 AM   #13
SoDak Bronco

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
no it's are Superbowl part 2 in KC, this is just a refreshing non-bronco fan pissing match break.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:53 AM   #14
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

A good place to learn the basics and get camera reviews

http://www.steves-digicams.com/
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:55 AM   #15
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
no it's are Superbowl part 2 in KC, this is just a refreshing non-bronco fan pissing match break.
Yep, really kind of sad to be having threads like this in December.....
Pony Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:18 AM   #16
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:

Quote:
Yep, really kind of sad to be having threads like this in December.....
Dude it's December and the month you will see the most threads like this actually , I obviously knew it was OT during on season mode , hence me asking the mods to leave it on the main page till I got some info in my OP...

People do it all the time and you'll see it a lot on Pc help and buying advise and the mods leave it for a while then move it to off topic...

I know you wasn't being a @ick or anything and I'm not trying to be one either, I just thought I'd explain that yea I knew it's OT and that the mods allow it for some things...

There is so many people here and some that people have come to trust and respect so many ask random advise of the mane all the time.
It's your one stop spot for everything.

Some here I know take pics for a livings so who better to ask.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #17
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Thanks for this thread. The wife has been wanting a camera and I keep telling her to shut up and use her disposable but I might just break down this year. Uber busy right now but I'm gonna use this to look into one later.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:28 AM   #18
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

It's not a DSLR, but my Canon G11 takes awesome pics, just bought it a few months ago after I finally tired of taking pictures that look like crap unless it was outside in bright sunshine. Ton of customizable settings, I think you can swap out lenses as well. I just never want a big camera because I wouldn't use it as much, the G11 (and newer g12) are bigger than a point & shoot, but not so big that I don't take it with me.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #19
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Last Christmas I bought a Canon T1i and I am very happy with it! No kidding, I have taken about 8k pictures with the camera since then. My picture files are up around 190gb! The camera is easy to use but has a lot of options as I learn to make it useful as a novice and a more advanced user. I bought it at SAMs Club for around $700. They havent come down in price much, but at 15mp and full HD video capability, I won't need to upgrade for several years. There is also a 10 or 12pm Canon that is very similar for a couple hundred less. I don't believe it shoots HD video though. But if you're not interested in HD video, you can find the lower mp camera with two lenses for around $500. The 2nd lens is a 80-250mm IS lens. A actually bought the same lens for my camera and it is great for sports. You can find a review here... I highly recommend this camera! http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...lr-review.html
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #20
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

GO Bison Kick OU

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

My wife bought a Canon T something...I dunno off the top of my h ead, and we have the lense that came with it. Its nice for shooting stuff inside, and around the house, I love taking action shots with it. We took the kids bowling and got some fun pictures. When we take it to a broncos game for the first time I would really like to get a better long range lense, if anyone has any suggestions.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:20 AM   #21
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
I was reading from this thread just now

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=88829
and found this.

Can the a230 and the a330 use all those other companies lens ??

Can anyone tell me any reasons I wouldn't want to go with the A230 the A330 or something from that sony A line if I wanted to save a little and be able to get her a couple other little things.
I've owned a lot of Sony consumer electronic equipment including camcorders, and while they do a nice job there, I would hesitate to buy a DSLR from them or anyone else who is not primarily and traditionally in the business of making cameras.

Put it this way, you can't go wrong with either Nikon or Canon, and you might with somebody else...just my .02. At the price point you're considering though it's probably fine, but above $600 I'd stick with the big boys...Olympus makes some good stuff too. Read some camera reveiws on any model you pick of course. As for lenses, I don't know what kind of mount Sony uses, but you won't be able to mount Canon or Nikor lenses on it...you're usually better off with name brand camera manufactured lenses but if you do go 3rd party, stick with something like Tamron, which makes some nice lightweight fast and sharp lenses, Tokina or maybe Sigma.

The main point to buying a DSLR to begin with is so you can use different kinds of lenses which you can't do with P&S cameras. On the other hand, if she's only going to shoot things designed to be viewed on a computer, rather than enlarging prints beyond 8x10 it doesn't matter that much. Good glass is more expensive than the camera body, but lots of cheapo lenses work just fine for the vacation shooter and the beginning hobbyist and you'll save a ton of money.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #22
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I've owned a lot of Sony consumer electronic equipment including camcorders, and while they do a nice job there, I would hesitate to buy a DSLR from them or anyone else who is not primarily and traditionally in the business of making cameras.

Put it this way, you can't go wrong with either Nikon or Canon, and you might with somebody else...just my .02. At the price point you're considering though it's probably fine, but above $600 I'd stick with the big boys...Olympus makes some good stuff too. Read some camera reveiws on any model you pick of course. As for lenses, I don't know what kind of mount Sony uses, but you won't be able to mount Canon or Nikor lenses on it...you're usually better off with name brand camera manufactured lenses but if you do go 3rd party, stick with something like Tamron, which makes some nice lightweight fast and sharp lenses, Tokina or maybe Sigma.

The main point to buying a DSLR to begin with is so you can use different kinds of lenses which you can't do with P&S cameras. On the other hand, if she's only going to shoot things designed to be viewed on a computer, rather than enlarging prints beyond 8x10 it doesn't matter that much. Good glass is more expensive than the camera body, but lots of cheapo lenses work just fine for the vacation shooter and the beginning hobbyist and you'll save a ton of money.

Thx man ... My safe bet pick is just to go with the Canon Rebel entry model only thing I don't like is it don't have live view but it's not that big of a deal...

Least with the Canon I know I'm getting something made by the camera #uckers and not just a electronics company that happens to make cameras.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #23
SoDak Bronco

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
Thx man ... My safe bet pick is just to go with the Canon Rebel entry model only thing I don't like is it don't have live view but it's not that big of a deal...

Least with the Canon I know I'm getting something made by the camera #uckers and not just a electronics company that happens to make cameras.
I own a Canon HD video camera and one thing I don't like is the software. It is a pain in the butt to work with, I am not sure if the DSLRs are any different, but I'd plan on using something other then the crap they sell with the package.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #24
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
My wife bought a Canon T something...I dunno off the top of my h ead, and we have the lense that came with it. Its nice for shooting stuff inside, and around the house, I love taking action shots with it. We took the kids bowling and got some fun pictures. When we take it to a broncos game for the first time I would really like to get a better long range lense, if anyone has any suggestions.
Depending on where you're sitting, anything below 400mm is probably to short to be of much use (including the crop factor). You might try a 2x extender if that gets you close since it's a lot cheaper than a new lense in those focal lengths.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #25
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Any chance a Mr Scarnecchia posts here? I'm sure he'd have a good recommendation or two.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote