The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2010, 05:19 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Paige: Broncos should turn to Elway to clean up mess

Paige: Broncos should turn to Elway to clean up mess

The savior of the Broncos in 1983 could be the best man to salvage the franchise in 2010.

John Elway.

Why not hire the most successful, renowned and honored player in Broncos history to a newly created position of executive vice president, football operations?

Why not let The Duke of Denver help turn around the team that has been characterized as "a laughingstock of the NFL," the Buffalo Bills West?

Why not now?

Elway, according to an impeccable source, "would accept an offer to rejoin the Broncos in a full- time executive position."

Elway and Joe Ellis, chief operating officer of the Broncos, did not comment on the possibility Monday, although there appears to be interest on both sides.

Elway has become involved again with the Broncos this year in a marketing capacity (particularly before the game in London) and as a team motivator-adviser (particularly before the game against Kansas City).

The Broncos have not experienced such rock-bottom plights and predicaments since 1976 and 1982.

In '76, "The Dirty Dozen," 12 veteran players, caused a firestorm in Denver by meeting secretly with the ownership and revolting publicly against coach-general manager John Ralston, accusing him of incompetence. Ralston ended up being relieved as GM, then, shortly after, fired as coach.

He was replaced by Fred Gehrke as general manager and Red Miller as coach, and the Broncos went to their first Super Bowl in the 1977 season.

Five years later, when Dan Reeves was the coach (after replacing Miller), the Broncos missed the postseason for the third consecutive season (and had no playoff victories since the Super Bowl appearance). The first players' strike, of 57 days, caused the cancellation of seven games. The Broncos finished with a 2-7 record, their worst (percentage) effort in more than a decade.

Along came John.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_16738959
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2010, 05:21 AM   #2
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!

Go Woody...
zdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:28 AM   #3
Cmac821
Harden by loss

Can't wait for next year

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fox Mulder

Who is this John guy?

I kid, I kid
Cmac821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:33 AM   #4
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

listening to the ticket this am...said Pages source happened to be the owner of a restuarant that they met at in Cherry Creek.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:34 AM   #5
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

John might not be qualified to be a "GM" but I wouldn't mind him in an advisory role.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:39 AM   #6
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I just wonder what his qualification is to be VP of Football Ops. I love the guy, and would really love to see him doing something with the Broncos, but this magic bullet theory is a bit too much for me.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:50 AM   #7
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
I just wonder what his qualification is to be VP of Football Ops. I love the guy, and would really love to see him doing something with the Broncos, but this magic bullet theory is a bit too much for me.
This. I love the guy nut he hasn't even worked in a FO yet.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:51 AM   #8
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman444 View Post
This. I love the guy nut he hasn't even worked in a FO yet.
But he does have football knowledge and business experience.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:52 AM   #9
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
John might not be qualified to be a "GM" but I wouldn't mind him in an advisory role.
This is what I thought two years ago when the rumors first started about Elway being a part of the front office. I thought at the time (and still do) that he wasn't qualified... but two years into this debacle, I'm willing to give it a try. The upside is that of an Ozzie Newsome. The downside... well, Matt Millen.

But if Pat Bowlen really likes McD and would like to keep him around, there may not be a better move than bringing in John Elway. Good PR move, fans would support him and perhaps be more patient with him. And, hopefully, it would remove some of the responsibilities from McD. Elway could call the shots on his coaching staff and help surround him with talent... and if things went further south could make the call on the HC.

Right now, the coaching staff is so thin that they cannot fire McD and replace him internally. That has to be an issue with the front office. Can't give the job to Wink Martindale. McCoy...nope. Really, who does that leave? McD doesn't have a talented staff and he is partly (if not mainly) to blame for that. McD is going to have to concede some power and allow a staff of competent coaches. It will actually help him in the long run.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:55 AM   #10
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
But he does have football knowledge and business experience.
So do about 10% of the people on this board. Doesn't mean we should have them running a billion dollar franchise.

Elway is just as capable of falling in love with a prospect and overvaluing him as anyone else.

If it happens, I'll support it, but in no way do I think that Elway will magically fix everything.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:57 AM   #11
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Wow, these people don't want to let go of McDaniels.
Now they have the cohones to question Elway's credentials.
Some freakin' people!

I guarantee you, Elway is way more qualify and have more brains to do whatever the guy wants to do than McDaniels does...

Fire McDaniels!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:02 AM   #12
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
So do about 10% of the people on this board. Doesn't mean we should have them running a billion dollar franchise.

Elway is just as capable of falling in love with a prospect and overvaluing him as anyone else.

If it happens, I'll support it, but in no way do I think that Elway will magically fix everything.
No. It doesn't. But he does have the respect of the owner, the franchise and the players. Why not give him a shot?
Old 11-30-2010, 06:03 AM   #13
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Makes sense - especially considering the fondness Bowlen and Ellis seem to have for McD. It would take some pressure off Josh, especially if Elway's role becomes very visable. And although it's a much lower level of talent - Elway did build the roster that won the AFL title.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:13 AM   #14
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
Wow, these people don't want to let go of McDaniels.
Now they have the cohones to question Elway's credentials.
Some freakin' people!

I guarantee you, Elway is way more qualify and have more brains to do whatever the guy wants to do than McDaniels does...

Fire McDaniels!
You really are a ****ing retard. Like, REALLY. Really, really, really, really retarded.

Look dip****: Why don't you explain Elway's "credentials" as anything other than a quarterback or a restauranteur and businessman? This isn't about questioning Elway, and it doesn't have anything to do with McDaniels. You're too ****ing stupid to realize that.

Just shut the **** up until you can manage to pull that giant head of yours out of your giant ass. Nobody gives a flying **** what you think, because nobody listens to morons and retards.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:15 AM   #15
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
No. It doesn't. But he does have the respect of the owner, the franchise and the players. Why not give him a shot?
Hey, we're just talkin' it out here.

I don't think it will hurt the franchise. I also don't think it will solve everything. And i think there are better candidates out there.

/shrug

No, they wouldn't mean as much in a PR respect, but they could find more immediate success with the team.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:28 AM   #16
illbroncsfn
Ring of Famer

adopt a bronco- Barrel Man's Barrel

#7 is always #1 in my heart- advisory role for the broncos- I'm ok w/that......

Bill Parcells for G.M. would be the best move. Forbes had an article discussing the marked fiscal value of each time he has worked for- Bowlen should read the article (assuming he still can as his faculties are obviously taking a beating....) and make the right call....
illbroncsfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:44 AM   #17
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!

Quote:
You really are a ****ing retard. Like, REALLY. Really, really, really, really retarded.

Look dip****: Why don't you explain Elway's "credentials" as anything other than a quarterback or a restauranteur and businessman? This isn't about questioning Elway, and it doesn't have anything to do with McDaniels. You're too ****ing stupid to realize that.

Just shut the **** up until you can manage to pull that giant head of yours out of your giant ass. Nobody gives a flying **** what you think, because nobody listens to morons and retards.
Although its not nearly the same he did cut his teeth as an exec in the Arena League... I would say we'd have a better shot at Free Agents with Elway than staying status quo next year. He still commands some respect and at this point the existing staff is going to be questionable at best to most free agents.. I would definitely be excited to at least have his presence back in the organization... Wouldn't mind Parcells either
zdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:55 AM   #18
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

I don't think most would like elway once he keeps mcd another year
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:55 AM   #19
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Typical orangemane...the answer to everything is Elway....or Shanahan.

Doesn't Elway own an AFL franchise or two? Is he coaching them? the majority of good to great NFL coaches and front office people aren't former players.

Fire the coach and hire Elway. Yeah, that makes sense. Just like the **** head that wanted Kubiak to replace McDaniels...the same guy you morons were b****ing about a few seasons ago...i recall half this site complaining about how predictable our offense was if we didn't score 24 or more in a game...and would be very vocal about how Kubiak sucked at playcalling. Now you morons want him back?

****ing pathetic....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:56 AM   #20
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Fine. I'll post just enough to point out that a similar move worked for your beloved Texas Rangers when they brought Nolan Ryan into the front office. INSTANT respect among the players and potential free agents. I would say Ryan and Elway's business credentials were similar, but it's that respect factor and aura that makes the real difference.

/back to lurking
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #21
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

John could be in charge of the drinking games
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #22
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRulon McVelvet McJones View Post
Fine. I'll post just enough to point out that a similar move worked for your beloved Texas Rangers when they brought Nolan Ryan into the front office. INSTANT respect among the players and potential free agents. I would say Ryan and Elway's business credentials were similar, but it's that respect factor and aura that makes the real difference.

/back to lurking
This is a very good point. Well done.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:17 AM   #23
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Hopefully Bowlen would require him to dump that ex-Raiderette first.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:19 AM   #24
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Just because a guy is successful on the field, or even in another business after jockdom, it doesn't mean he's a qualified candidate for an NFL GM's job. In any case, Elway's star couldn't possibly rise any higher in Denver than it already has, unless he won the governor's chair. Assuming he was offered the job...I don't think he will be...it's a risky move from a PR standpoint because if he fails at this, his stock goes down from where it is now. He doesn't need the money, doesn't seem to be driven to be in a job like this either. What incentive does he have to do this?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:21 AM   #25
Mile High Shack
Ring of Famer

Cock-a-doodle-do

I'm worried about the Michael Jordan factor, great players don't always make great bosses in the sports world.

I'm love #7 with all my heart, but I don't know if him being in the front office is the right move
Mile High Shack is offline   Reply With Quote