The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do the Broncos need a GM ?
no we are fine . 5 10.00%
yes tired of this crap pile. 43 86.00%
Elway for GM 15 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper
Default Gm

OR not to GM....
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

I take it you liked last years draft . and no on the poll
Old 11-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

you can pick two
Old 11-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
you can pick two
I picked all 3. Cool?
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yup. The next era of the Broncos needs to start with an experienced GM being hired and given control. We could have avoided so many of these mistakes if we would have done this before hiring McDaniels.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

UMMMMMMMMM, I have no idea what we should do. I am in cruise control the rest of the year.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

CUT THAT MEAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I put yes to GM, but I think we need more of a scouting dept than an established GM. We have made some great FA moves, but the drafts leave a little to be desired...and I actually liked the Moreno, Ayers, and Thomas picks.

But all this trading up to get guys that are "targetted" seems more like deperation because their draft boards are too small.

At the very least we need a defensive-minded talent evaluator that knows the 3-4 inside and out.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

My guy,

GM Scouting: Ravens Director of Player Personnel, Eric DeCosta

DeCosta 38, has been at the top of a lot of teams' lists for potential GM candidates for reasons you're about to see. This year, he was promoted from his role as Director of College Scouting to his current position as Player Personnel Director. His complete Ravens bio can be found at the link on his name.
DeCosta cut his teeth as a scout in the Ravens organization, focusing on the Midwest as a scout from 1997-2002. He impressed enough in his short years there to be named scouting department director, and in his first draft in that capacity, the Ravens selected Terrell Suggs. Some of the other players he has helped draft are OL Jason Brown, DT Haloti Ngata, S Dawan Landry, offensive lineme Jared Gaither and Ben Grubbs, RB Ray Rice and QB Joe Flacco. The point isn't that DeCosta selected these players, but was on a team that did. He knows what talent looks like, and knows what red flags to look for, too. The Ravens organization has built and re-loaded mainly through the draft, with a few veteran free agents sprinkled in.

By looking at that list of players it seems DeCosta and the Ravens have been able to identify quality offensive line talent - something the Bills haven't done in the past. I didn't even look at the 2009 draft but that includes OT Michael Oher who has been a force for the Ravens this year. As the Field Gulls put it when they profiled DeCosta, his tendency to draft "big bodied, big armed profile DeCosta seems to favor is notorious for producing busts." For a complete listing of every Ravens draft DeCosta was in charge of and breakdown of the players the Field Gulls profile is extensive.
In 2005, DeCosta was interviewed before the draft. One question was about his level of input, the nebulous thing about GM candidates who have never been GMs themselves. Here's what he had to say:
Coach Billick has a certain amount of input, but what it really comes down to is Ozzie and me, and ultimately Ozzie. I may not always agree, but he's got the final say.

Over the last couple of years I've had the opportunity to kind of learn on the fly. Ozzie and I have had a lot of good discussions this year, and I feel excellent about the work that everybody's done. I've spent a lot of time looking at players. I've basically graded about the top 175 players that we have ranked. I think the process that we have in Baltimore has been proven over time to be a very good process. And we've really deviated very little from that process. Time will tell, but I think we're in a position to pick some good players this year.
That year they selected Clayton, Brown, and QB Derek Anderson who was cut before the season began.
In addition to being on the team that selected good players he was also on the committee that hired current Ravens head coach John Harbaugh. He was honored in 2005 by The Sporting News as one of the top young stars in sports and was selected to both the 2008 Baltimore Business Journal and Baltimore Magazine "40 under 40" group.
It must be mentioned that DeCosta has worked with Ozzie Newsome during his entire tenure in Baltimore. Two other Newsome proteges, Phil Savage and George Kokinis, both failed on their own in Cleveland.

Last edited by LonghornBronco; 11-29-2010 at 12:12 PM..
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

That would be nice
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

If Elway is Made GM all the fans would be behind MCd as Coach if they Knew Elway had the power to fire him and did not at the end of the year !
Old 11-29-2010, 05:32 PM   #12
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornBronco View Post
My guy,

GM Scouting: Ravens Director of Player Personnel, Eric DeCosta

DeCosta 38, has been at the top of a lot of teams' lists for potential GM candidates for reasons you're about to see. This year, he was promoted from his role as Director of College Scouting to his current position as Player Personnel Director. His complete Ravens bio can be found at the link on his name.
DeCosta cut his teeth as a scout in the Ravens organization, focusing on the Midwest as a scout from 1997-2002. He impressed enough in his short years there to be named scouting department director, and in his first draft in that capacity, the Ravens selected Terrell Suggs. Some of the other players he has helped draft are OL Jason Brown, DT Haloti Ngata, S Dawan Landry, offensive lineme Jared Gaither and Ben Grubbs, RB Ray Rice and QB Joe Flacco. The point isn't that DeCosta selected these players, but was on a team that did. He knows what talent looks like, and knows what red flags to look for, too. The Ravens organization has built and re-loaded mainly through the draft, with a few veteran free agents sprinkled in.

By looking at that list of players it seems DeCosta and the Ravens have been able to identify quality offensive line talent - something the Bills haven't done in the past. I didn't even look at the 2009 draft but that includes OT Michael Oher who has been a force for the Ravens this year. As the Field Gulls put it when they profiled DeCosta, his tendency to draft "big bodied, big armed profile DeCosta seems to favor is notorious for producing busts." For a complete listing of every Ravens draft DeCosta was in charge of and breakdown of the players the Field Gulls profile is extensive.
In 2005, DeCosta was interviewed before the draft. One question was about his level of input, the nebulous thing about GM candidates who have never been GMs themselves. Here's what he had to say:
Coach Billick has a certain amount of input, but what it really comes down to is Ozzie and me, and ultimately Ozzie. I may not always agree, but he's got the final say.

Over the last couple of years I've had the opportunity to kind of learn on the fly. Ozzie and I have had a lot of good discussions this year, and I feel excellent about the work that everybody's done. I've spent a lot of time looking at players. I've basically graded about the top 175 players that we have ranked. I think the process that we have in Baltimore has been proven over time to be a very good process. And we've really deviated very little from that process. Time will tell, but I think we're in a position to pick some good players this year.
That year they selected Clayton, Brown, and QB Derek Anderson who was cut before the season began.
In addition to being on the team that selected good players he was also on the committee that hired current Ravens head coach John Harbaugh. He was honored in 2005 by The Sporting News as one of the top young stars in sports and was selected to both the 2008 Baltimore Business Journal and Baltimore Magazine "40 under 40" group.
It must be mentioned that DeCosta has worked with Ozzie Newsome during his entire tenure in Baltimore. Two other Newsome proteges, Phil Savage and George Kokinis, both failed on their own in Cleveland.
He Does sound like what the Broncos need . thing is I want a GM to be someone that is here for 20 years . I want them to build a D that comes right of a cave for pactice...
Old 11-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #13
Bronco Yoda

Just give Parcells trucks of money.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:41 PM   #14
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Just give Parcells trucks of money.
one problem that is short term . otherwise sure.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:56 PM   #15
Bronco Yoda

well at least he'd either potty train McD or kick him to the outhouse. Either way this ship needs to get back upright.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:02 PM   #16
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
well at least he'd either potty train McD or kick him to the outhouse. Either way this ship needs to get back upright.
well I would agree with that LMAO....
Old 11-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #17
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

see I was a head of the times .....
Old 11-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #18
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Does anyone actually think that Elway is really the answer?? ?? ??

I keep seeing his name tossed out there as though he has ANY idea of how to evaluate and manage/acquire talent.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote