The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke
Default Gruden? Kubiak? Really?

How about we get out of the past for a change. Bronco fans have a bad habit of reaching for the familiar, safe choice even if it's not the best. Gruden? No coach has ever won a SB with another team. That means the statistical likelihood of Gruden winning one here is next to nil.

And Kubiak? What has he done in Houston, with some of the best football players at their positions literally, that warrants him being there? You want to know who we should have had? Rick Smith. There is a guy who knows talent and how to draft.

The good Coaches, Harbaugh, Mike Smith, came from outside their respective organizations.

I realize people are sad and want "to just go back to the way things were" but the past is the past and can't be re-created. You see teams do this all the time and it never works - weather it's Bart Starr coaching the Pack, or the long list of unqualified position coaches the Raiders keep around because they used to play.

The bottom line is we can move forward and there is a man out there who can lead us back. However McDaniels isn't failing because he was "new" and not a "true Bronco." He's failing because isn't a very good head coach.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2010, 06:24 AM   #2
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Time and time again it has been proven that first time head coaches don't fare well. They tend to be most successful on the second attempt. I want a 3-4 defensively minded guy. Adds up to Mike Nolan for me. But I'd be happy with either of the above over the Manchurian Manchild.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:26 AM   #3
Jay3

It's not just a "familiar, safe choice." The Broncos are in turmoil right now -- they need a steady, veteran hand, preferably one that has won a Super Bowl. This is not the time to bring the next "hot" coordinator. They did that last time.

You have to alternate -- hot young coordinator who's not ready, and then washed up veteran who's lost his spark.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

I hope Josh McDaniels gets another year - That is all I want to say.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Honest question: why?
Old 11-29-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
Haroldthebarrel
Seasoned Veteran

Are you certain that McDaniels isnt cut to be a good HC?

The way I see it is that he can scheme better than most. And he can develop qbs.
However he is a poor GM as far as personell and draft picks is concerned.
The defense is also extremely poor. Which is his fault for hiring Wink.

I dont know, but I think going after new coaches and new systems statistically usually make for more mediocrity until the roster and talent is set.
Secondly, most great coaches has had a loosing season early. Then they got their high draft picks to build the roster.
I will go on record and give him at least another season to build upon.
I kinda think our SB hopes hinges on Tebows development, but maybe I am a bit optimistic.
Haroldthebarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:37 AM   #7
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Well at this point I don't care whether McDaniels stays another year or not.

Any head coach, be it McDaniels or otherwise is going to HAVE to address the DL, inconsistent run game and hire a better DC.

If McDaniels can do that in the offseason: Fine, just get it done. After the huge losses this season I can't see how Martindale retains his job anyway.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:43 AM   #8
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

A head coach that can't get along with Mike Nolan, or find a way to use a guy like Hillis. These were "problems" for Mcdaniels. I really don't think the guy is stupid... just fatally egotistical.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:43 AM   #9
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

It is clear from this post that Kaylore is a nuthugger.

Smart ass remarks asides, I agree. Same thing goes for "Cowher Power".
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:45 AM   #10
Sir_Robin
Veteran Armor Soiler

Bravely taking to his feet...

Quote:
That''s easy. How often have the Broncos had back-to-back top five picks? Cha-ching!
Sir_Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:53 AM   #11
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
I don't think he's had enough time create the team he needs to play his system. The O is close the D is a good draft away from respectability. This level of rebuild takes time. Sure he's made some mistakes but he also learns from them. In my opinion he's worth another year. I don't think he is the root problem with the Broncos.

Unfortunately I am beginning to believe Pat Bowlen is not thinking clearly. He has no clear chain of command. You're in trouble when your leader becomes weak. Puts us in Oakland Raider fans world.

Bottom line (like Alfonso Smith & Payton Hillis) I think firing Josh now would be giving up on a talent too early, a coach that is going to be a great coach in the NFL. IMO.

Remember Al Davis gave up on Mike Shanahan, how does that look in hindsight?

BTW I am not interested in getting into any "Your stupid for what you think - no your stupid for what you think" exchanges so I won't be posting much until that goes away.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:02 AM   #12
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Baja-- I get where you are coming from. Completely agree with the ownership aspect. I just think McD's flaw is a self destructive need to be right. I don't see that changing.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:08 AM   #13
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Baja-- I get where you are coming from. Completely agree with the ownership aspect. I just think McD's flaw is a self destructive need to be right. I don't see that changing.
Well, we're going to find out in the offseason.

McDaniels picked Martindale to run this defense. Given our league worst defense I can't see any justification for this guy staying on as DC. IF McDaniels can put him back in charge of the LBers and hire an established guy like Wade Phillips as DC and not feel threatened by him and trust him then it would be a big step in the right direction.

If McDaniels stubbornly sticks with him, then I don't see how we can afford another year of a mangled defense.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:10 AM   #14
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
I don't think he's had enough time create the team he needs to play his system. The O is close the D is a good draft away from respectability. This level of rebuild takes time. Sure he's made some mistakes but he also learns from them. In my opinion he's worth another year. I don't think he is the root problem with the Broncos.

Unfortunately I am beginning to believe Pat Bowlen is not thinking clearly. He has no clear chain of command. You're in trouble when your leader becomes weak. Puts us in Oakland Raider fans world.

Bottom line (like Alfonso Smith & Payton Hillis) I think firing Josh now would be giving up on a talent too early, a coach that is going to be a great coach in the NFL. IMO.

BTW I am not interested in getting into any "Your stupid for what you think - no your stupid for what you think" exchanges so I won't be posting much until that goes away.
The issue is McD is paying for all moves b/c he is the one that has been made responsible for all personnel decisions. The trading of Cutler was ultimately Pat Bowlen's decision. But that decision will forever hinge on the fact that McD was the new coach, tried to trade for Cassel, and then couldn't get Cutler to buy into the new idealogy of team first. Again, it was Pat's decision ultimately, but the fans still see it as a McD problem. Same goes for the decision to trade Hillis, Smith, Marshall, Scheffler. The draft trades. The needing defense and hardly addressing the front 7. There are several issues that McD is being held accountable for by the fans. All of those issues are real, but the fact that Pat Bowlen put McD in that situation is more of a concern to me.

The OM is full of smart and engaged fans. They understand, for the most part, that McD is struggling b/c he has too many hats. But the general fan base doesn't have the same level of separation. They see the issues and it's all attributed to McD. They also believe that you can cut your losses with McD, hire a Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden and get instant results...THIS YEAR and Next. It's like, you bring in Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden and the players will all of the sudden grasp a new system, implement it, produce with it, and be immediately more successful. Some on the Mane realize that it doesn't work that way.

The Broncos will make a move and it will happen sooner rather than later as a result of the reduced numbers in Invesco. The fact that they wouldn't even announce the attendance is damning enough. I've never heard of that happening in Denver...never. But when that move does happen, you better be prepared for more of the same. Pat Bowlen prefers to let the coach have all of the decision making authority. For Pat Bowlen, everything runs through the coach. He'll continue to have a "money man" like Xanders is now. But that "GM" will not have a say in day to day football operations or personnel other than yeah it can fit within our cap or no we can't fit that salary in. I've heard a few names brought up in passing and we will not be getting a Jon Gruden or Bill Cowher if we do in fact dump McD. We won't be going to the college ranks and offering Harbaugh $5m per year. I think the only real hope at a GM/Consultant type is John Elway... and that brings question marks of it's own.

IMO, what we really need is a change in the Owner's philosophy of how a team should be and will be run. We all expected and hoped this would come, even with Shanny still here. Most would have told you that Shanny's biggest failures were in personnel. No way was he going to take that hat off and eventually Ellis was able to talk Bowlen into making the move. We all hoped that with that move would come separation between team and front office with the HC being the buffer. The more things change though, the more they've stayed the same... and now McD is making personnel decisions that are at best, not much better than Shanny's.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:10 AM   #15
TonyR
Franchise Poster

People get a little to caught up in the coach and don't think enough about talent acquisition and team management. No coach is going to win without players. Shanahan did nothing without Elway and the talent around him. Walsh did nothing without Montana and the talent around him. Dungy with Manning. Belichick with Brady. Etc. You have to have talent first and foremost. Bowlen and Ellis brought in two inexeperienced 30-somethings and gave them the responsibility to build a football team. Ridiculous, particularly in hindsight. We need to get a GM in here first and foremost well before we start talking about a coach. No coach is going to fix this mess.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #16
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
They also believe that you can cut your losses with McD, hire a Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden and get instant results...THIS YEAR and Next. It's like, you bring in Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden and the players will all of the sudden grasp a new system, implement it, produce with it, and be immediately more successful. Some on the Mane realize that it doesn't work that way.
Good post, you beat me to it. Pretty much my thinking. We need a lot more than a coach. People like to blame the coach and the QB. It's easier that way. But it's flawed thinking and not reality.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #17
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
IMO, what we really need is a change in the Owner's philosophy of how a team should be and will be run. We all expected and hoped this would come, even with Shanny still here. Most would have told you that Shanny's biggest failures were in personnel. No way was he going to take that hat off and eventually Ellis was able to talk Bowlen into making the move. We all hoped that with that move would come separation between team and front office with the HC being the buffer. The more things change though, the more they've stayed the same... and now McD is making personnel decisions that are at best, not much better than Shanny's.
Bears repeating. This problem starts with Bowlen and Ellis, not McDaniels. McDaniels is a merely a symptom of the larger problem.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:17 AM   #18
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:

I simply don't agree with that Baja.

On offense we're three deep at QB, four deep at WR, three deep at TEs all with guys McDaniels wanted.

In two offseasons and 10 picks in the first three rounds the best McDaniels could come up with was Robert Ayers and a bunch of castoffs like Jarvis Green, Vickerson, Williams, LeKevin Smith?

McDaniels actively targetted guys like A Smith, Quinn, Tebow etc. He either didn't want to do that for the weakest unit in the team in the DL or grossly exaggerated players he brought in for the DL.

No, Josh has had more high picks in the last two years than some franchises get in 3/4 years and we've got absolutely nothing to show for it when it comes to the DL.

That doesn't just happen accidently. It was a systematic failure from the FO/Josh and now they're paying for it with their jobs on the line.

It was no different for Shanahan.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #19
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!

Quote:
I think his inexperience has been his undoing. When you are in charge and you tear a team down to rebuild it, trade away talent (regardless of whether anyone thinks we are better off without it) and then look to be going in the wrong direction (W/L), you are going to take the blame... He should have had a strong GM put in place above him and I think much of this debacle could have been avoided. If it was McDaniels arrogance that created the structure, then he is culpable, but I doubt that is solely on him. I think Bowlen went to what he knew and didn't put enough consideration into the fact that McDaniels is 33 and inexperienced in many facets... Don't know it can be salvaged now...
zdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:43 AM   #20
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Quote:
Time and time again it has been proven that first time head coaches don't fare well. They tend to be most successful on the second attempt. I want a 3-4 defensively minded guy. Adds up to Mike Nolan for me. But I'd be happy with either of the above over the Manchurian Manchild.
no it hasnt
some of the best teams in the league are run by first time head coaches:
Greenbay, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, NYJ just to name a few

in fact the opposite is true
it is becoming more popular to hire new up and comers than retreads

Last edited by Br0nc0Buster; 11-29-2010 at 07:50 AM..
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #21
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
no it hasnt

Yup, with the big difference being that every one of those organizations you listed has experienced people running the football organization.
Green Bay - Ted Thompson
Atlana - Thomas Dimitroff
Pittsburgh - Kevin Colbert and the Rooneys
Baltimore - Ozzie Newsome
NY Jets - Mike Tannebaum
Old 11-29-2010, 08:04 AM   #22
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

The problem is that we can't afford to have another guy learn how to coach on our dime. Smith and Harbaugh are not difference makers, IMO. The talent that those teams have compiled is first rate and coaching those guys is a hell of a lot easier than coaching the marginal talent in Denver. The NFL is a talent driven league, not a coach-driven league. The one caveat is when a coach utterly loses his team, which seems to be the position Denver finds itself in.

There are guys out there who are proven. Get one. The key now is to trend upward and there are certain guys who will take us in that direction, even if they won't get us a ring. Getting a ring may require a different guy altogether, but getting to a point where we are a playoff team has to come first.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:08 AM   #23
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
This!!!!!!!!
He deserves it. He earned the right to coach the Denver Broncos next year.
I think a 1 and 15 record will get him another year as well...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #24
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Bears repeating. This problem starts with Bowlen and Ellis, not McDaniels. McDaniels is a merely a symptom of the larger problem.
That utterly BS!!!!!

Bowlen, sell the team, and fire Ellis. Make sure Mcdaniels stays put!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #25
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
no it hasnt

Exactly. We need new, fresh ideas. I think we can put a nail in the Belichick coaching tree too. He's very good at making sure no one knows everything so that at the end of the day his coaches can't do what he does.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote