The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default MMQB: Peter king on McD

Quote:
How ironic will it be if Steve Scarnecchia ends up being the final straw in what gets Josh McDaniels fired after the season? The one question no one is asking in the wake of the six-minute tape that got video director and McDaniels friend Steve Scarnecchia fired is who ratted him out? And who spilled information from a private meeting McDaniels had with his coaches Friday to Fox's Jay Glazer -- information that the Patriots' taping practices, in Glazer's words, quoting McDaniels at his meeting, "that was practiced, that was coached, that was worked on.'' Some would view that as throwing the Patriots under the bus. Some would view it as a simple admission of the facts of the league's well-publicized findings against the Patriots.
What you need to know about Spygate II going forward:

McDaniels is adamant that he didn't trash the Patriots in his staff meeting Friday. What Glazer reported is essentially true -- McDaniels did say what the Broncos did was one individual act, and not a systemic, practiced series of videotapings over several years, which the league found the Patriots guilty of in 2007. The meeting was called to share with staffers what they were about to hear concerning the league's fining of McDaniels of $50,000 and the team of $50,000 for Scarnecchia's videotaping of a 49er practice in London the day before the two teams met Oct. 31.

"There were questions at the meeting I had with the staff on Friday in a private staff meeting,'' McDaniels told me last night for a report I aired on NBC's Football Night in America show. "I was asked by someone in the meeting how this compared to the Patriots situation. I didn't try to minimize the seriousness of what we did [in the Denver incident]. I feel bad that it's being represented that I had some inside information about what happened with the Patriots, because I don't.'' Instead, McDaniels told me, he was speaking of the New England case.

Nothing McDaniels said or did will re-open the league's investigation. The league doesn't see the connection between McDaniels' statement and any new information. I was told by one league official Sunday that I was way off base, and there was nothing in Glazer's report to suggest the league has a reason to re-open the case. In the same vein, the Patriots declined comment Sunday, saying, in essence, there was no there there -- no new news.

Videotaping a walk-through, usually, would be a far more educational piece of tape for a coach to watch than viewing the defensive signals and matching them to individual plays, which is what got Belichick in trouble in 2007. I say usually because the 49ers didn't show anything worth seeing in their walk-through the day before playing Denver in London, when the videotaping was done by Scarnecchia. "We purposely didn't show them anything, because we'd been warned about [Scarnecchia],'' said a source close to the 49ers coaching staff. "We didn't run any of the plays we were going to run in the game.'' Normally, though, a Saturday walkthrough might be a team's first X number of offensive plays -- so such a scouting report would be invaluable. "Far more valuable than anything like taping coaches signaling in plays,'' said one official of a different team. "That's why most people will look at this and say the Broncos got off light. If you succeeded in taping a team's walkthrough, you could wreck every one of their first 15 plays or so.''

McDaniels seems to know he's got a traitor in his midst. Leaking what was said in a private meeting -- and leaking it with the possible intent of slanting it to make McDaniels looks bad -- is a sign that a coaching staff and organization could be fracturing from within. I'm pretty sure McDaniels will try to find out who's got the loose lips, though if it's the same person who turned he and Scarnecchia in to Bronco brass he might be hard to find, because of the league's protection of the whistleblower in this case. Said league counsel Jeff Pash on Saturday: "One of the things about our policy and the duty to report is we do make a pledge, and this is not unusual in these settings, we do make a pledge of confidentiality as part of a way of encouraging people to come forward and also protecting people against possible retaliation.'' But McDaniels still has to be troubled that he's got a leak.
None of this will matter if the Broncos keep losing, like they did Sunday to St. Louis. The Broncos leave on a three-game roadie this weekend (at Kansas City, Arizona and Oakland in 15 days), and the road is probably the best place for him to be right now. Less booing there, probably. If the Broncos lose out, McDaniels is probably done. It's a results business, and the Broncos are 5-16 in McDaniels' last 21 games, and the fans have turned on him viciously.
I find all of this sad. I know McDaniels fairly well, and my gut feeling is he neither watched the videotape nor ordered the taping. He's a smart kid with a very strong family background who's made some terrible personnel decisions; Peyton Hillis for Brady Quinn, trading a 2010 first-rounder to choose Alphonso Smith in 2009 -- and then dealing him for next-to-nothing a year later. But he's a smart offensive strategist. The Broncos did him no favors by giving him an inexperienced GM, Brian Xanders, who clearly hasn't been strong enough to save him from making some bad personnel calls. The team should have invested in a savvy, veteran GM to help McDaniels navigate his way early.

But in the end, it'll be sad because half of Broncos Nation decided when Jay Cutler got traded and later when Brandon Marshall started acting 11 that it was all McDaniels' fault, and he had to go. It was not all his fault. Cutler never gave McDaniels a fair chance to build a relationship, and then an angry Bowlen -- not McDaniels -- directed that he be traded. Marshall wanted a new contract, thought he was promised it by Bowlen, and didn't get it, and then acted up. I don't see how either of those departures constitutes being run off by McDaniels, but legions of Bronco fans do. If he goes, Denver will have to start over with another coach, and that coach may well have no belief in Tim Tebow as a quarterback of the future, and there would go another prime piece, wasted. And so it goes.

Finally, I've been asked scores of times this weekend why the league went so light on the Broncos -- and I'd agree, because of the potential competitive advantage that could have been gained by taping a Saturday practice. I though Pash explained it well on Saturday. "Here [in Denver] you had, as best we can conclude, a single incident as opposed to, in New England, years of activity. You had an incident that, as best we could identify, was carried out by a single employee without direction from the coaching staff or anyone else at the club. That's obviously different from what we saw in New England where the head coach was actively supervising the activity. And ... from the Commissioner's standpoint, the most important point [with Denver] was that as soon as senior management and ownership was aware of it, they came forward and reported it to our office and cooperated fully in the investigation.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz16gFuLf9B
good stuff on josh mcd. written by a well connected insider who is usually pretty fair to everyone (except randy gradishar). but dont let facts get in the way.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

you're gonna get ripped on this....

KILL THE MESSENGER!!!
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

McD can be right about trading those players (I'm still glad he ditched Cutler and Marshall) and still be a bad Head Coach, you know.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

So, McDaniels really surrounded himself with that great character he always talks about! Who cares if he saw the tapes? His horrible personnel decisions have made this team a joke. The excuses are just funny. Cutler didn't give him a chance as he skipped his offseason to come in and work for him? Way to use your brain on that line. Marshall wanted a contract after setting records and jumping off to a HOF start to his career? That bastard!

The bottom line is drama and distractions follow McDaniels. When this happens, it usually isn't everyone elses fault. A 3 year old can figure this out...

Anyways, who cares? At this point there are no excuses. This team is a complete joke on the field. I know, who could have seen this coming after all these wonderful moves?

"But every move he makes is great! We are stronger, better, and filled with team players that always fight!" - Oh yeah, the majority of you dumbasses couldn't figure it out. I guess I can see why you supported the fall of this organization though. It is exactly what I would want to see if I was a Raiders fan...
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:27 AM   #5
CEH
Ring of Famer

If he goes, Denver will have to start over with another coach, and that coach may well have no belief in Tim Tebow as a quarterback of the future, and there would go another prime piece, wasted. And so it goes.

This is the part right now that has me so concerned.

If Josh is fired, I don't want to hire a coach that has to like Tebow.
Tebow is a project QB. With the right coaching he could be a good/franchise QB. Who knows but first thing first I want a strong GM to build a team regardless of Tim Tebow. If they make the decision to stick with Tim fine but if they go the opposite fine as well
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:27 AM   #6
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
good stuff on josh mcd. written by a well connected insider who is usually pretty fair to everyone (except randy gradishar). but dont let facts get in the way.

Now that is just funny. Even Bowlen and McDaniels said he was full of crap as he was trying to defend his girlfriend McDaniels last offseason. Now he is a well connected insider? Funny stuff.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:31 AM   #7
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post

Now that is just funny. Even Bowlen and McDaniels said he was full of crap as he was trying to defend his girlfriend McDaniels last offseason. Now he is a well connected insider? Funny stuff.
what a great day for you

im sure you were sweating a bit during the comeback though
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:32 AM   #8
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
The Broncos did him no favors by giving him an inexperienced GM, Brian Xanders, who clearly hasn't been strong enough to save him from making some bad personnel calls. The team should have invested in a savvy, veteran GM to help McDaniels navigate his way early.
In my mind this is the key part. I still can't figure out why Bowlen, when firing Shanahan, said he wouldn't give a coach that kind of control again and then proceeded to give a young, inexperienced coach that same kind of control. Makes no sense. This could have worked with a good GM.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:33 AM   #9
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
what a great day for you

im sure you were sweating a bit during the comeback though
Says the guy that only posts after losses...
Old 11-29-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
The excuses are just funny.
What incentive does Peter King have to make "excuses" for Josh McDaniels? What specifically do you disagree with?
Old 11-29-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
Goobzilla
Lights Out B***h!

BA-ZING!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Erickson

King forgot to mention showing Mike Nolan the door after last season. That's the kind of guy McD needed to lean on to make this thing work, not perceive him as a threat and run him off. Surrounding yourself with yes men is usually not the path to success.
Goobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:38 AM   #12
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
What incentive does Peter King have to make "excuses" for Josh McDaniels? What specifically do you disagree with?
I don't know, he has always done it for the Broncos. He is a tsi like Bronco fan. The entire article is "poor McDaniels the victim".... Yeah, all the drama just happens for no reason and through no fault of his own!

He made excuses for him on the Cutler situation, which he is again claiming, that even McDaniels and Bowlen said were completely wrong. Specifically he came out with reports that Cutler didn't give him a chance and was asking for trades after Shanahan was fired. Bowlen, McDaniels, Cutler, and his agent all came out and said it never happened. They even said that after Cutler was traded. He claims Cutler didn't give him a chance as Cutler skipped his offseason to come in and work with him. They worked together for a while with no problems. His excuses are lies and don't even make sense. So, this is a question you need to ask Peter King.

Last edited by jhns; 11-29-2010 at 07:44 AM..
Old 11-29-2010, 07:41 AM   #13
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobzilla View Post
King forgot to mention showing Mike Nolan the door after last season. That's the kind of guy McD needed to lean on to make this thing work, not perceive him as a threat and run him off. Surrounding yourself with yes men is usually not the path to success.
Great post. It is obvious McDaniels didn't look at anything we have done in the past 10 years as he is making the exact same mistakes as Shanahan.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:43 AM   #14
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:43 AM   #15
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
King forgot to mention showing Mike Nolan the door after last season.
He didn't show Mike Nolan the door.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:45 AM   #16
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
He didn't show Mike Nolan the door.
Yeah! They just couldn't work together because McDaniels is a douche to everyone. It was mutual! Get it right...
Old 11-29-2010, 07:45 AM   #17
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
...this is a question you need to ask Peter King.
I think you need to ask yourself if maybe Peter King knows more about the situations than you do. Pretty safe to say that he does, right?
Old 11-29-2010, 07:47 AM   #18
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
They just couldn't work together because McDaniels is a douche to everyone.
This is certainly plausible. But "show the door" directly implies that he was fired. He wasn't. That is a blatant mischaracterization of what happened.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #19
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
McD can be right about trading those players (I'm still glad he ditched Cutler and Marshall) and still be a bad Head Coach, you know.
Exactly. I could care less about Marshall and Cutler. What is far more damning for McDaniels is the way he's failed in the running game (even when Moreno has looked good, he's been underused), and just how inept our defense is.

From McDaniels very first press conference, he emphasized how he was going to strengthen the trenches and cited it as a priority.

Well we had two offseasons, and 10 picks in the first three rounds yet we've gone back-a$$-wards defensively.

Yes having a healthy Doom/Ayers would have helped but how are those guys supposed to:

1. Ensure 11 players get on the field
2. Ensure 11 players are lined up correctly
3. Prevent shoddy tackling
4. Stop Dawkins aging badly
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:49 AM   #20
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I think you need to ask yourself if maybe Peter King knows more about the situations than you do. Pretty safe to say that he does, right?

Sure, and everyone involved in the Cutler situation calling him a liar sure proves that he knows! Maybe he just lied that one time and really know everything else that happens behind closed doors?....

He knows ****. He writes for your entertainment.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:50 AM   #21
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

King is a Parcells/Belichick tree ball washer, always has been. He made excuses for Spygate as well.

The bottom line is wins- all of the bs in the world can't cover up the simple fact that this team sucks, period, end of story.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:52 AM   #22
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
No kidding. Nolan had a DL full of guys who are backups this year in Thomas/McBean/Fields, a rookie in Ayers and guys learning the system in their first year with the 3-4.

Martindale is still trying to figure out the mysterious, and enigmatic ways of this so called "number" 11 and how it relates to how many players need to be on the field and whether they line up right.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:57 AM   #23
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
He knows ****.
Possible, but he knows considerably more than you. When were you last in the locker room? When did you last have conversations with players and coaches? How many people around the league are you in regular contact with? To act like you know more than Peter King is a bit silly.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #24
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I love how you have to treat a private staff meeting like you are addressing Congress. One of our own coaches blabbed out that this idiot video taped the 49er walk-through. This team is a joke. This coaching staff is a joke. The players, most of them, are jokes.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:00 AM   #25
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

You know, at the risk of being flamed for something petty...one thing that was pissing me off as the Rams put their foot on the gas was McD went into his "alone time" on the sidelines.

I wasn't the only one that noticed either, a couple guys around me commented. Why is it when he should be out there firing someone up or actually...coaching...he is all by his lonesome most of the time with his arms folded?

Again, I am no football guru...but it just looked exactly like it looked during the Raiders debacle to me. He's completely lost me though so maybe I am biased.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote