The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default final drive

what a sad attempt. dan graham with a ball right on the money and drops it. ryan harris beat like a drum on 2 attempts. ortons asked to carry this team on his shoulders and he does it, but the other people on the team need to do their jobs.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Final drive is correct......are we in off season mode now?
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

heh, might as well be.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Does Kyle Orton have any 4th quarter wins?
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Oh what a ****ing joke. Orton stood there like a statue in the pocket on first down and did the one thing he couldn't do, which was take a sack. That pretty much killed the drive right there, but go ahead and try to put it on everyone else if it makes you feel better.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Oh, and to give you the unrevised version of it, Graham didn't drop that ball. He went up high to get it and the defender knocked it out of his hands.

But don't let that stop you from fidning all the wrong people to blame.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
Oh what a ****ing joke. Orton stood there like a statue in the pocket on first down and did the one thing he couldn't do, which was take a sack. That pretty much killed the drive right there, but go ahead and try to put it on everyone else if it makes you feel better.
Why is it a joke? Orton failed but so did everyone else. Why blame one guy? Particularly the guy who threw for 347 yards and 3 TD's?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Does Kyle Orton have any 4th quarter wins?
This year, no. But he did his part in the 4th quarter tonight.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Oh, and to give you the unrevised version of it, Graham didn't drop that ball. He went up high to get it and the defender knocked it out of his hands.

But don't let that stop you from fidning all the wrong people to blame.
someone else just told me that, i didnt see that. so graham gets a pass if that was the case. harris, however, needs to be expected to block. should orton feel the pressure and move if needed? yes, but hes not really that type of QB and should have had long enough to throw the ball. go watch it again.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

That final drive shouldn't have even been necessary. Gaffney catches that 2 pt conversion and everything afterwards is different.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #11
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Why is it a joke? Orton failed but so did everyone else. Why blame one guy? Particularly the guy who threw for 347 yards and 3 TD's?
It's a joke because of the OP's attempt to make it look like it was everyone but poor Kyle Orton's fault when he was the one who committed the biggest mistake of anyone.

And I couldn't care less what his numbers looked like after his disappearing act in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. I'm not trying to bag on Orton, but in the interest of fairness, he's just as culpable for this loss as anyone, despite his pretty numbers.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #12
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
what a sad attempt. dan graham with a ball right on the money and drops it. ryan harris beat like a drum on 2 attempts. ortons asked to carry this team on his shoulders and he does it, but the other people on the team need to do their jobs.
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #13
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
someone else just told me that, i didnt see that. so graham gets a pass if that was the case. harris, however, needs to be expected to block. should orton feel the pressure and move if needed? yes, but hes not really that type of QB and should have had long enough to throw the ball. go watch it again.
Our offense including QB doesn't show up till the 4th quarter when the game is out of reach..
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #14
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

I look back to all those 3 and outs passing right after we abandoned our run game. It could make you wonder why, but why wonder why..
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #15
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I look back to all those 3 and outs passing right after we abandoned our run game.
This.

The final drive wasn't Orton's fault, but we lost the game much earlier.

This is usually the case.

Orton is no John Elway. We've established that. But, he put a couple of balls on the money that guys have to come up with. This loss isn't on him, remotely. He did his part to secure a win and just didn't get the help, including the help he needed from the coaching staff.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #16
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
And I couldn't care less what his numbers looked like after his disappearing act in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. I'm not trying to bag on Orton, but in the interest of fairness, he's just as culpable for this loss as anyone, despite his pretty numbers.
"Just as culpable" as a defense that gave up 36? Really 39 if their kicker didn't crap the bed on an easy gimme. Or easily over 40 if the Rams didn't go into the "prevent offense" in the 4th quarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
Our offense including QB doesn't show up till the 4th quarter when the game is out of reach..
Ummmm, Orton was doing great in the first quarter and second quarter. The lack of scoring in the middle of the second through 3rd quarters was more on the 2 turnovers that were out of his control and the inability to convert a few 3rd and 10+ situations that were the result of penalties, a few rushes for losses, and the usual OLine failures where guys that were being double teamed got through to Orton immediately.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #17
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
"Just as culpable" as a defense that gave up 36? Really 39 if their kicker didn't crap the bed on an easy gimme. Or easily over 40 if the Rams didn't go into the "prevent offense" in the 4th quarter.
Yea, that's the issue.

People just fail to realize that occasionally, your own offense is going to run into trouble and you've got to be able to play defense.

We couldn't play a lick, today.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #18
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Yeah, because I'm totally letting the defense off the hook here. Sure.

Orton is just as culpable because he made plenty of mistakes of his own, including missing a wide open Brandon Lloyd for a TD in the first quarter that could have changed the entire complexion of the game. Or that when garbage time was over and the game was back into a competitive phase, he folded yet again.

I'm well aware that the defense was putrid. I've come to expect that because the people in charge have neglected to address it properly (something that John Lynch even pointed out during the broadcast). This is about people acting as if Kyle Orton wasn't as responsible for this loss as much as anyone else was....because he was.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #19
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Orton is just as culpable because he made plenty of mistakes of his own, including missing a wide open Brandon Lloyd for a TD in the first quarter that could have changed the entire complexion of the game. Or that when garbage time was over and the game was back into a competitive phase, he folded yet again.
He threw a bad ball to Lloyd, but it wasn't like it was some easy dumpoff pass. It was a deep sideline route that was underthrown, but catchable. Both announcers even confirmed it. It's a catch Lloyd usually makes.

And he didn't "fold when garbage time was over." C'mon. Give him at least a little credit for driving for those two 4th quarter TDs. He was still facing a real NFL defense there and it was a game. He threw a nice pass on the 2 pt conversion that was dropped and changed the complexion of the game too you know. The Graham pass was beautiful. It's not his fault that Graham couldn't secure it and the defender made a play. Sure the sack sucked, but it didn't really change too much. The other plays were outside of his hands. Pressure, pressure, pressure. It changes everything.

Quote:
This is about people acting as if Kyle Orton wasn't as responsible for this loss as much as anyone else was....because he was.
Was he perfect? No. Is anyone saying he was? No.

But he wasn't as bad as the defense. He had no role in the 2 turnovers. He didn't hurt us with stupid penalties or allow DLinemen to beat double teams like there was nobody there. He is way, way down the list of responsible parties in this one. I'd say Prater and Colquitt are about the only ones below him to be completely honest.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #20
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Yea, that's the issue.

People just fail to realize that occasionally, your own offense is going to run into trouble and you've got to be able to play defense.

We couldn't play a lick, today.
On the contrary, the D stepped up big when it needed to and gave the offense every chance it needed to win. Those 2 turnovers resulted in 10 points for the Rams and took whatever we may have gotten off the board (not to mention the potential field position differences).

The D definitely could have done better - but only played a part of the issue.
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #21
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr007 View Post
On the contrary, the D stepped up big when it needed to and gave the offense every chance it needed to win. Those
They gave up 36 pts. Their kicker missed a chip shot that could've made it 39. I can think of plenty of drives that they didn't step up big when it needed to.

I think they had one honest to goodness three and out that was the result of good, solid play. Every other one seemed to be the result of either a dropped pass by a wide open WR or them going into the "prevent offense" in the 4th quarter to simply run clock.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #22
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
He threw a bad ball to Lloyd, but it wasn't like it was some easy dumpoff pass. It was a deep sideline route that was underthrown, but catchable. Both announcers even confirmed it. It's a catch Lloyd usually makes.
Watch the play again, Lloyd had to contort his body just to make a play on it. If Orton throws it to the inside, Lloyd catches it easily because he was that wide open. Instead he threw it out of bounds. It was a bad throw. I'm not crucifying him for it, but to act like that wasn't an important play or that it wasn't Orton's fault is just wrong. Lloyd was wide open and Orton missed him.

Quote:
And he didn't "fold when garbage time was over." C'mon. Give him at least a little credit for driving for those two 4th quarter TDs. He was still facing a real NFL defense there and it was a game. He threw a nice pass on the 2 pt conversion that was dropped and changed the complexion of the game too you know. The Graham pass was beautiful. It's not his fault that Graham couldn't secure it and the defender made a play. Sure the sack sucked, but it didn't really change too much. The other plays were outside of his hands. Pressure, pressure, pressure. It changes everything.

The sack didn't change too much? It ran a fair amount of time off the clock and put the Broncos in 2nd and long (and eventually 3rd and 4th and long). Any coach or announcer will tell you that in that situation the one thing a QB can't do is take a sack. He needed to get rid of that ball one way or another. He stood in there too long and took a sack. It happens, but it was a really, really bad time for it.

Again, I'm not piling the entire loss on him, but if we're talking about that last drive, he made the biggest mistake. Orton isn't above criticism for his mistakes that contribute to losses just like anyone else.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #23
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
They gave up 36 pts. Their kicker missed a chip shot that could've made it 39. I can think of plenty of drives that they didn't step up big when it needed to.

I think they had one honest to goodness three and out that was the result of good, solid play. Every other one seemed to be the result of either a dropped pass by a wide open WR or them going into the "prevent offense" in the 4th quarter to simply run clock.
This I totally agree with. The Broncos defense only really got stops when St. Louis went conservative. Had they kept the pedal to the metal for another drive or two, odds are this game never gets close and they hang 43-46 points on the Broncos.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #24
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
The sack didn't change too much? It ran a fair amount of time off the clock and put the Broncos in 2nd and long (and eventually 3rd and 4th and long). Any coach or announcer will tell you that in that situation the one thing a QB can't do is take a sack. He needed to get rid of that ball one way or another. He stood in there too long and took a sack. It happens, but it was a really, really bad time for it.

Again, I'm not piling the entire loss on him, but if we're talking about that last drive, he made the biggest mistake. Orton isn't above criticism for his mistakes that contribute to losses just like anyone else.
I say it didn't change much because they still had 3 plays to overcome it and time wasn't an issue as they only needed a fg. If the other 10 guys had simply done their job on 2nd, 3rd or 4th down, it wouldn't have mattered at all. If Graham had simply been able to secure that pass for instance, they would've had the first and time.....if the OLine had simply done their jobs and given Orton more time on 3rd or 4th, same thing. The sack sucked for sure, but it wasn't the be all end all of the comeback attempt.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #25
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
I say it didn't change much because they still had 3 plays to overcome it and time wasn't an issue as they only needed a fg. If the other 10 guys had simply done their job on 2nd, 3rd or 4th down, it wouldn't have mattered at all. If Graham had simply been able to secure that pass for instance, they would've had the first and time.....if the OLine had simply done their jobs and given Orton more time on 3rd or 4th, same thing. The sack sucked for sure, but it wasn't the be all end all of the comeback attempt.
No, it wasn't the end of the comeback attempt, but it definitely hurt and my entire point here has been that it wasn't just poor old Kyle Orton trying to drag his teammates across the finish line while they were the only ones making mistakes. That's how the OP was portraying it and that's just not true.

Believe me, there's plenty of blame to go around and Orton wouldn't be the first one I named if I was to go down the list.