The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Popps
It's so easy

Default The Plan...

(The "Solution" was taken already.)

Obviously, these are just some bullet points. You could go through positionally in much greater detail than I did.
These are some notes that, along with our impact players being healthy, could make a big difference.

Positional Coaches - It's too early to know who will be available, but we need to consider upgrades at a few spots, including OL.
Preferably a veteran positional coach and preferably one with power-blocking scheme experience.

Hire Rod Smith - He's been present, but someone explain why this guy isn't a WR coach, or some kind of offensive assistant.
He seems driven to do it, and we've got a slew of younger WR's who could use this guy's guidance. This simply makes too
much sense not to have done already. Imagine the impact this could have for Thomas.

Add premiere RT - Harris simply can't be counted on, and there's question as to whether he's really suited. Beadles and Walton look to be good enough to develop into quality starters, but we need top-flight book-ends. Go out and get the best possible option
via FA and lock up to long-term deal. (If Tebow starts at some point, this would be his blind side protector.)

Add Premiere DT - This could be a problem in FA, but the draft looks deeper. We need a Seymour-caliber 3/4 DE talent on that
line. Guys like Bannan are great in rotation, but we need an impact player there. I like the idea of trying to find value vets, but we simply have to improve this area and if that means spending $$, then so be it.

Add a NT - We can probably squeeze another season out of WIlliams if we use him carefully. But, we need a true NT to groom
behind him. This has to be addressed in the draft, as it's unlikely any are available in FA.

Note: There are a few intriguing options available via FA, but not a ton:
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/fa/dl.html
(List may be outdated.)

Revamp the ILB positions:
I honestly don't think DJ is suited to play in a 3-4, much less inside. But, his DUI spoils the chance to trade him for any decent
value. So, we're probably going to have to live with him there. But, we absolutely have to obtain a true 3-4 ILB. A hammer-type
who can plug the run and hold his own in coverage. Haggan is a back-up caliber player. He's done fine as a fill-in, but the
guy is a rotational player. I wouldn't mind if ILB was our #1 pick this year, provided the fit is there.

Find our next defensive leader:
Dawkins is probably in his last season, unless he's willing to stick around in a back-up role and even then, I'm not sure that
makes sense. I absolutely love the guy... but we've got to be realistic. We need to fill the void of him leaving.
I'm not sure if this means that we bring in a free agent with his leadership skills, or a young guy like Doom or Ayers
steps up as the future leader, but this defense needs more guys who serve roles like Romo and Webster used to for us. In particular, we need front seven leadership in a big way.

Change to orange jerseys:

No matter who is coach, we're still rebuilding and will still likely have our struggles next season.
Throw the fans a bone... and bring some orange mojo back to Denver.

Hire John Elway: I believe TombstoneRJ came up with this, among other people probably. It's a great idea. He's
also been lurking around, and there's no reason not to have him assigned to some sort of upper management, personnel
role. Tombstone described using him as a go-between for coaches/Bowlen, etc. Excellent idea, and again... great
mojo and a good PR move. But, John is a bright guy. This wouldn't JUST be for PR. His experience could help the
franchise.

Expand Tebow's Role:
Orton is still our best every-down option and has shown the ability to be extremely effective when things are in place around him.
But, we drafted Tebow for his versatility, and we need to work him into the offense on a larger scale. These two players could
be very complimentary to each other and really give offenses problems. This should come naturally with his progression, but it
should really be a focus to open up the playbook for him. This is also going to add some fire to the offense, and potentially
ramp up the leadership-factor on that side of the ball.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't have time to read it right now but I'm sure it took a long time to write.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman444 View Post
I don't have time to read it right now but I'm sure it took a long time to write.
And I bet it's all TOTALLY doable :O)...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

What about Kubiak?
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMan-Goblin View Post
What about Kubiak?
Old 11-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman444 View Post
Basically, it's a long-winded plea for us to hire Kubiak.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I was totally agreeing with it until I read this.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:

I knew you would come around

edit: (and I don't wan't Kubes but it's damn funny)
Old 11-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
i was totally agreeing with it until i read this.
lol
Old 11-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Bringing in Kubiak would be just trying to relive our glory days. We should bring in Elway and Rod Smith instead.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

We need more young talented guys on Defense especially the D-line and a solid D-coordinator and Quit abandoning the running game so early and get away from this college offense
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #12
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by frerottenextelway View Post
Bringing in Kubiak would be just trying to relive our glory days. We should bring in Elway and Rod Smith instead.
Neither has been a coach or executive for our club.

Oh, and I'm not against Kubiak becuaes it would be reliving glory days.. I'm against it because he hasn't shown a thing as a head coach.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:44 PM   #13
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Neither has been a coach or executive for our club.

Oh, and I'm not against Kubiak becuaes it would be reliving glory days.. I'm against it because he hasn't shown a thing as a head coach.
What about Jim Mora jr
Old 11-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #14
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
What about Jim Mora jr
I just can't see making a move for a younger guy when it's going to result in likely the same thing... a few years of rebuilding.

Plus, this plan relies on the high likelihood that McDaniels is our coach next season.

I see few scenarios where that isn't the case.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #15
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

He's a more defensive run the ball kinda coach and we need toughness on this team starting at the top IMO
Old 11-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #16
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Williams is done as far as I am concerned. He turned it on a couple of games but the rest has been below average. Harris is a backup, nothing more nothing less. We need someone to count on.

That leaves big spots there along with CB, DL, S with Dawkins not likely to do much next year, and a year of struggles with Tebow getting experience.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #17
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
Williams is done as far as I am concerned. He turned it on a couple of games but the rest has been below average.
He's not a long-term solution in the middle. It sure looked like he was back to his jogging routine last week in San Diego, too.

Quote:
Harris is a backup, nothing more nothing less. We need someone to count on.

Remember when we traded for Jones? We need that move, again. That was so brilliant.

Quote:
That leaves big spots there along with CB, DL, S with Dawkins not likely to do much next year, and a year of struggles with Tebow getting experience.

I think we have some options at CB... but S will be an obvious draft need.
The DL is also a no-brainer. But, I think with the return of our pass-rush, even two impact players on defense might be enough to help make real progress.

Again, a lot of this also hinges on whether or not Wink is the real deal. The jury is way out on that. It's only recently that' he's figured out how many people to have on the field.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #18
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Coaching changes:

We need to hire a ST coordinator who knows what he is doing, I would be all for getting someone from college, with extensive background in ST coaching. Priefer is atrociously bad, the unit right now is obviously poorly coached and you can tell.
Defensive coordinator is also a spot we need to look at, we need a 3-4 guy who can run the defense, a Dick Lebeau kind of guy (Not actually Dick Lebeau), someone who can run the defense almost independently of the head coach, call the plays and be involved with scouting. Consider how many offensive systems we have had over the last 15 years (2) and how good our offense has been with changing players, compared to how many defensive coordinators we have had over the last 5 years (5) and how bad our defense has been with changing players. We need to establish some sort of consistency on defense so players we acquire this year will also fit next year and the year after.
Running back/offensive line coach, right now the run game is not working as well as it should be and it is too easy for Mcdaniels to abandon it because there is no strong proponent of the run game in the coaching team, we need someone who will work with the run game, who can speak for the run game and who can make it work.

Draft

We have needed to draft defensive front, especially DT for 5 years at least, and it hasn't happened. Sure getting a guy in th 4th or 5th round is technically drafting defensive line, but you need to add top talent at some point, and top defensive linemen are not getting into free agency. We need to get defensive line in the top 2 rounds, it is already overdue and every year we don't is another year of futility added.

Running back, we need a complementary running back to Moreno. Buckhalter has slowed down a lot and is now almost purely a pass blocker, Maroney was not the answer to any question outside of who can run 100 yards sideways without gaining a single scrimmage yard and Lance Ball is not a guy you want as the number 2 on your depth chart. I would like to get a pass catching RB, maybe a Noel Devine or someone similar.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #19
Popps
It's so easy

Gydl,

I actually had an extra RB as part of the list, but figured there were too many secondary needs like that and I would stick with primary... but I do agree.

Also agree on ST's, but we have been better on coverage as of late.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:47 PM   #20
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I think this is a good recipe in order to get to the right direction.

If things keep going the way they are, the Broncos will have 4 selections in the top 75 to 80 picks. There will be premium players at positions of need well into the third round of this draft. We cannot afford to gamble with these selections. They need to be picks based on need and they need to be quality players. NT, DE, LB and DB. One of each, it really couldn't hurt.

If we were able to accumulate more picks, a versatile RB would be needed as well. Hell, we could use a power back and a nice scat type guy to compliment Moreno.

There is not much I can disagree with here.

Good thread, Popps.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #21
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

How about Gruden as the HC, with Kubiak as OC
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #22
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
(The "Solution" was taken already.)

Obviously, these are just some bullet points. You could go through positionally in much greater detail than I did.
These are some notes that, along with our impact players being healthy, could make a big difference.

Positional Coaches - It's too early to know who will be available, but we need to consider upgrades at a few spots, including OL.
Preferably a veteran positional coach and preferably one with power-blocking scheme experience.

Hire Rod Smith - He's been present, but someone explain why this guy isn't a WR coach, or some kind of offensive assistant.
He seems driven to do it, and we've got a slew of younger WR's who could use this guy's guidance. This simply makes too
much sense not to have done already. Imagine the impact this could have for Thomas.

Add premiere RT - Harris simply can't be counted on, and there's question as to whether he's really suited. Beadles and Walton look to be good enough to develop into quality starters, but we need top-flight book-ends. Go out and get the best possible option
via FA and lock up to long-term deal. (If Tebow starts at some point, this would be his blind side protector.)

Add Premiere DT - This could be a problem in FA, but the draft looks deeper. We need a Seymour-caliber 3/4 DE talent on that
line. Guys like Bannan are great in rotation, but we need an impact player there. I like the idea of trying to find value vets, but we simply have to improve this area and if that means spending $$, then so be it.

Add a NT - We can probably squeeze another season out of WIlliams if we use him carefully. But, we need a true NT to groom
behind him. This has to be addressed in the draft, as it's unlikely any are available in FA.

Note: There are a few intriguing options available via FA, but not a ton:
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/fa/dl.html
(List may be outdated.)

Revamp the ILB positions:
I honestly don't think DJ is suited to play in a 3-4, much less inside. But, his DUI spoils the chance to trade him for any decent
value. So, we're probably going to have to live with him there. But, we absolutely have to obtain a true 3-4 ILB. A hammer-type
who can plug the run and hold his own in coverage. Haggan is a back-up caliber player. He's done fine as a fill-in, but the
guy is a rotational player. I wouldn't mind if ILB was our #1 pick this year, provided the fit is there.

Find our next defensive leader:
Dawkins is probably in his last season, unless he's willing to stick around in a back-up role and even then, I'm not sure that
makes sense. I absolutely love the guy... but we've got to be realistic. We need to fill the void of him leaving.
I'm not sure if this means that we bring in a free agent with his leadership skills, or a young guy like Doom or Ayers
steps up as the future leader, but this defense needs more guys who serve roles like Romo and Webster used to for us. In particular, we need front seven leadership in a big way.

Change to orange jerseys:

No matter who is coach, we're still rebuilding and will still likely have our struggles next season.
Throw the fans a bone... and bring some orange mojo back to Denver.

Hire John Elway: I believe TombstoneRJ came up with this, among other people probably. It's a great idea. He's
also been lurking around, and there's no reason not to have him assigned to some sort of upper management, personnel
role. Tombstone described using him as a go-between for coaches/Bowlen, etc. Excellent idea, and again... great
mojo and a good PR move. But, John is a bright guy. This wouldn't JUST be for PR. His experience could help the
franchise.

Expand Tebow's Role:
Orton is still our best every-down option and has shown the ability to be extremely effective when things are in place around him.
But, we drafted Tebow for his versatility, and we need to work him into the offense on a larger scale. These two players could
be very complimentary to each other and really give offenses problems. This should come naturally with his progression, but it
should really be a focus to open up the playbook for him. This is also going to add some fire to the offense, and potentially
ramp up the leadership-factor on that side of the ball.

"Let's blow up what Josh has done to date, hit the reset button and rebuild, but let's keep Josh."
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #23
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelbeef View Post
How about Gruden as the HC, with Kubiak as OC
Man if you hate McDaniels why the hell would you want Gruden?
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #24
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Donta Hightower would be perfect for the ILB spot imo. He plays it in the 3-4 at Bama and was arguably their best LB last year (yes, McClain included) before he got hurt.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #25
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
"Let's blow up what Josh has done to date, hit the reset button and rebuild, but let's keep Josh."
I wish that made any sense.

If it did, it would be worth responding to.