The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default Mailbag 11/24

Some good stuff in this article. I thought this one in particular stood out:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncosmailbag/ci_16695160

Quote:
Do all these folks who are shouting for Josh McDaniels' ouster know what they are asking for? Sure, bring in another head coach with another "system." The flavor of that stew will be three years of "rebuilding." It would have been nice if Pat Bowlen had hired a coach who would fit the system to the talent, but he went the other way. If McDaniels gets the hook, get used to the cellar, folks.
-- Dana David, Phoenix

Amid the outrage comes rational thought. When Bowlen, Ellis and the Broncos coaching search committee hired McDaniels in January 2009, they weren't just bringing in a new leader; they were tapping into the consistently successful methods of the New England Patriots.

Acceptance of the Patriot Way doesn't come easy around these parts, especially when success doesn't come quickly. I think McDaniels will get one more season to bring a postseason game back to Denver. (A playoff game, by itself, doesn't necessarily rock Bowlen's boat. He wants his fans and team revenues to benefit from all that comes with a "home" playoff game.)

If next season is like this season, Bowlen will seriously consider making a change. But as you pointed out, Dana, careful what you wish for. After investing so much in McDaniels and the Patriots offensive and defensive systems, the Broncos could get worse before they get better. Not that it gets much worse than 3-7.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

How do you get worse than losing to some of the worst teams in the league and letting a crap turds team drop 59 on you? I don't get it. Many coaches have come in and turned franchises around. We would be set back only if they again made the wrong decision for the next coach.

As for this Patriot way crap, we don't do anything like the Patriots. They sign bad character playersand also had a GM that had more power than their coach...

Anyways, people would accept growing pains and losing seasons if the front office wasn't continually cutting its nose off in spite of its face. No one expected him to make this team great right away. I'm not sure why people think that is the only reason for wanting McDaniels gone. Anyways, how would allowing him to further trash the franchise be worse than getting a new coach that may or may not turn it around? That doesn't make much sense.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

-
Quote:
this message is hidden because jhns is on your ignore list.
-
Old 11-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HombreGuapo View Post
- -
And we all thank you.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Well the drama queen sure showed me!
Old 11-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
They...had a GM that had more power than their coach...
This one needs some explanation.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

yeah, I don't get that one either. I still think McDaniels is hitting the panic button with knee jerk dumbass moves, like maroney and the trade up with NE to get D.Thomas. But Bowlen gave him the keys, and mistakes will happen. Being unprepared for a draft is inexcusable, and then trading a first to get a second knowing you're unprepared ... unfreaking believable.

But Billicheat's in charge. And, I don't see that McDaniels screwups have to do with a lack of assistants. It seems more a lack of experience. Time will tell if his arrogance prevents his learning to do better.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
you can't expect him to explain anything....alll he knows how to do is bash the current regime but offers to other kind of plan or thoughts...
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Bringing rhe New england way.
The New England way is Bellichek. Mcdaniels is NOT Bellichek.

I'm yet to see a coach from the Bellichek tree have any success of their own in the NFL or college.
That should tell you all you need to know...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:33 AM   #10
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
yeah, I don't get that one either.
I assume he thinks Pioli had more power than Belichick but I don't know that that's true. I suppose it's possible that they had equal power but I seriously doubt that Pioli had more control than Belichick. All that said, I'd prefer a situation where the GM runs the show.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
Bringing rhe New england way.
The New England way is Bellichek. Mcdaniels is NOT Bellichek.

I'm yet to see a coach from the Bellichek tree have any success of their own in the NFL or college.
That should tell you all you need to know
Mangini brought in Hillis...so he's going to the hall of fame
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
steeledude
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

No patriots assistants have had success as head coaches.

New coaches have turned things around in the same amount of time. Raheem Morris has grown tremendously in a year. Haley has the Chiefs playing far better, he really just needs a halfway competent QB. Shanahan at the Redskins (who sucks, but are nowhere near as bad as they've been).

We're getting worse. If we have a top 5 pick, it's time to cut our losses and move on. But for crying out loud, bring in someone who wants the highly questionable young talent we have. It's bad enough we got a guy who rid of our pro bowl talent, but a new coach should at least be very open to developing guys like Thomas and Tebow.
steeledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #13
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Quote:
I assume he thinks Pioli had more power than Belichick but I don't know that that's true. I suppose it's possible that they had equal power but I seriously doubt that Pioli had more control than Belichick. All that said, I'd prefer a situation where the GM runs the show.
Beats me what he meant. I'd agree that NE does have more front office experience than Xanders in terms of talent evaluation. But, I don't think McDaniels draft/personel screwups are that he can't evaluate talent. The only criticism of the 2010 draft I saw was why he moved up to take DThomas. It was inexplicable. Billicheat traditionally goes through a lot of picks, and I'd guess he takes a lot of input into talent evaluation. Bowlen was right about one thing for sure when he hired McDaniels. It's a job for a young guy who can work 18 hours a day, eleven months a year. McDaniels may mature.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #14
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
seriously, that didn't make any sense. Belichick is the supreme ruler in those parts.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #15
FantomForce
Long live the Mane!

The Incredible BULK!

Pats winning ways? "they were tapping into the consistently successful methods of the New England Patriots.

Acceptance of the Patriot Way doesn't come easy around these parts, especially when success doesn't come quickly. I think McDaniels will get one more season to bring a postseason game back to Denver. (A playoff game, by itself, doesn't necessarily rock Bowlen's boat. He wants his fans and team revenues to benefit from all that comes with a "home" playoff game.)"

WTF Mangaini to the Jets -FAIL!
Romeo to the Browns-FAIL!
Weis to Notre Dame- FAIL!

Do you Crazy Ba$tards see a pattern here
FantomForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #16
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Wait, you think they have always let Bill run everything? That is funny. Personnel guys that are just yes men do not continually win awards for being the best GM... He may have gotten all the power recently and they haven't been nearly as good in that time. Are you saying we are trying to go with their current, lesser model? The guys making the decisions should probably pay more attention if that is the case.

Last edited by jhns; 11-24-2010 at 11:34 AM..
Old 11-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #17
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
you can't expect him to explain anything....alll he knows how to do is bash the current regime but offers to other kind of plan or thoughts...
Maybe I should follow your example and just cry about other posters as I don't say a thing about football.

Why would anyone care what you say anyways? You only show up after losses troll.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #18
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Wait, you think they have always let Bill run everything?
If not "always" then for the last 9-10 years, yes. Who do you think was running the show? I think he answers to Robert Kraft and nobody else. Sure, Scott Pioli had a voice but I doubt Belichick answered directly to him.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #19
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Here ya go, jhns. I'm right, you're wrong.

Pioli is still helping his boss get places, and Belichick the New England Patriots' wiz regarded as the NFL's best coach has received quite the return from the C-notes.

The eager "kid" he hired as a gofer has grown up to become one of the league's hottest executives.

When the Patriots head into this weekend's NFL draft looking to stockpile more of the talent that has allowed them to forge a new-age dynasty with three Super Bowl victories in the last four seasons, Pioli, 40, will be the proverbial man behind the curtain.

Belichick has final authority over the draft but is always quick to credit Pioli, the team's vice president of personnel and the coach's first hire when he took over the team's football operations in 2000, for his crucial role in the team's success. Without the right players to plug into the system a model that heavily weighs a team-first, football-passionate mentality the coaching efforts might backfire.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...ts-draft_x.htm
Old 11-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #20
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Wait, you think they have always let Bill run everything? That is funny. He may have gotten power recently and they haven't been nearly as good in that time. Are you saying we are trying to go with their current, lesser model? The guys making the decisions should probably pay more attention if that is the case.
Quote:
Bill Belichick was named New England Patriots head coach in 2000, succeeding Pete Carroll. Owner Robert Kraft also gave Belichick most authority over football operations, effectively making him the team's general manager as well. He is one of three current NFL coaches with the title or powers of general manager, the others being the Philadelphia Eagles' Andy Reid and the Washington Redskins' Mike Shanahan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Belichick
Old 11-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #21
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:

Pioli is still helping his boss get places, and Belichick the New England Patriots' wiz regarded as the NFL's best coach has received quite the return from the C-notes.

The eager "kid" he hired as a gofer has grown up to become one of the league's hottest executives.

When the Patriots head into this weekend's NFL draft looking to stockpile more of the talent that has allowed them to forge a new-age dynasty with three Super Bowl victories in the last four seasons, Pioli, 40, will be the proverbial man behind the curtain.

Belichick has final authority over the draft but is always quick to credit Pioli, the team's vice president of personnel and the coach's first hire when he took over the team's football operations in 2000, for his crucial role in the team's success. Without the right players to plug into the system a model that heavily weighs a team-first, football-passionate mentality the coaching efforts might backfire.

Nice to see facts backed up by documentation, rather then comments backed up by idiocy.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #22
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilife View Post
i didn't know he worked for the Broncos in 1978.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #23
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
i didn't know he worked for the Broncos in 1978.
Heh... if only we had to foresight to hold on to him haha.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #24
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Fine, he was under Belicheck in power. It really doesn't change what I am saying and Tonys article shows it. He got to make personel decisions. This just shows that Belicheck is way smarter than Josh. He knew he couldn't do it alone and got the right guys. The New England way isn't to get rid of all your personnel guys and only keep a cap guru around... It doesn't matter who answers to who, Pioli made personnel decisions. McDaniels makes them here, alone. Our only GM has never handled personnel. He was a co-GM with us and in Atlanta because he only handled the cap. It is the complete opposite of what Belicheck did.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #25
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:

I think "pwned" is what the kids call that.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote