The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Default football w/o announcers

...this could be interesting for those of you with the NFL Network.

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2010/1...-no-announcers

Quote:
Remember the announcer-less game during the 1980s? NFL Films on the Saturday after Thanksgiving will air the Bengals-Jets game on NFL Network, using only the words of players and coaches who will be miked up for the Thanksgiving night game.

“We’ve got 15 players and coaches miked during the game, including both coaches and all the coordinators and quarterbacks and middle linebackers,” NFL Films president Steve Sabol said. “We’ll have 60 people shooting the game, which is more than we use for a Super Bowl, and then we’ll turn it around in 48 hours and show it to you through the eyes of the players. It’s something you won’t see anywhere else.”
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Hmm, interesting. I don't really like when they mic players up, but it's better than Jon ****ing Gruden loving every single thing that happens ever.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
Mile High Shack
Ring of Famer

Cock-a-doodle-do

this could be awesome, I usually mute the announcers anymore now days b/c I'm sick of their bias (to either team, I'm not saying every announcer is biased against Denver)
Mile High Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

That sounds pretty cool.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

amazing,,, I have gotten so sick of announcers. Their continuous mistakes, horrible comments, and asinine judgements/advice.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanhr9 View Post
amazing,,, I have gotten so sick of announcers. Their continuous mistakes, horrible comments, and asinine judgements/advice.
Seriously. The worst thing is when you see a player go down with an injury and they don't report on it because one of them has to finish his story about how some player used to throw footballs at cans lined up on a fence with his dad who's a war vet while simultaneously working at the local soup kitchen with his wheelchair bound brother while brett favre's wife survives breast cancer.

I HATE that.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Shack View Post
this could be awesome, I usually mute the announcers anymore now days b/c I'm sick of their bias (to either team, I'm not saying every announcer is biased against Denver)
It's amazing just how many announcers are difficult to listen to--

My list includes Dan Dierdorf and Al Michaels, both of whom are complete Blaboholics.
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Maybe if they took the color guy out of the booth and had one dude just stating fact that might be interesting.

I remember watching the 1980 game and it was worse without the announcers.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Maybe if they took the color guy out of the booth and had one dude just stating fact that might be interesting.

I believe it was in 1982, and it was (if memory serves) Jets vs. Cleveland.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 'Dre View Post
I believe it was in 1982, and it was (if memory serves) Jets vs. Cleveland.
It was 1980, I lived in FL at the time, we were there less than a year it was the season the Raiders won the SB vs Philly.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
Hmm, interesting. I don't really like when they mic players up, but it's better than Jon ****ing Gruden loving every single thing that happens ever.
You've noticed that, too?
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
Dendave
Ring of Famer

Echo

I have never understood the announcer thing, especially when there are three in the booth. I go to a ton of games, whether it’s football, hockey or baseball…I don’t have announcers there…okay, I do, but all they are telling me is what down, who’s up or who the penalty was on (hockey) Well in football and baseball, as long as I have the “fox box” giving me the information I want, just have someone that can update injuries or something. I think the announcers distract from the game then add anything to it. IMO
Dendave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #13
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendave View Post
I have never understood the announcer thing, especially when there are three in the booth. I go to a ton of games, whether it’s football, hockey or baseball…I don’t have announcers there…okay, I do, but all they are telling me is what down, who’s up or who the penalty was on (hockey) Well in football and baseball, as long as I have the “fox box” giving me the information I want, just have someone that can update injuries or something. I think the announcers distract from the game then add anything to it. IMO
But where are you going to get all your Conrad Dobler stories for cocktail parties?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #14
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

I remember the announcer-less game. Pretty cool, I thought. I wish it was an option, like SAP. Would be cool to be able to mute a crew that you didn't like and just hear the crowd, at times.

I'll check out the NFLN thing on Sat. Sounds interesting.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #15
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendave View Post
my guess? it started during the heyday of MNF in the 70's with Cosell and Dandy Don Meredith. until then, the focus was on the game. i think with MNF, Roone Arledge (it was him, right?) wanted to create more of an entertainment event and deliberately put people in the booth who were colorful and argumentative. then everybody copied that format and now it's the de facto standard. the TV people think that an NFL game is more about production values than the game on the field... don't believe me? take a look at what a monstrosity the superbowl has become, especially the halftime shows. i'd be happy with TV coverage that showed the "fox box", let us hear the stadium announcer for downs and distance, the refs for penalties, and a strict play-by-play announcer much like Dave Logan. all of the other stuff gets in the way of the game IMHO.

remember, the TV people thought it would be good to add Tony Kornheiser to the MNF crew. they really don't have a clue about anything!
Old 11-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #16
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I remember the announcer-less game. Pretty cool, I thought. I wish it was an option, like SAP. Would be cool to be able to mute a crew that you didn't like and just hear the crowd, at times.

I'll check out the NFLN thing on Sat. Sounds interesting.
i'm pretty sure one of the levels of hell is nonstop watching football on TV with no coverage of the game and only endless anecdote after anecdote from Dierdorf, Millen, Madden, and Todd Christensen from their playing/coaching days.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #17
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I remember the 1980s experiment and it was bad. Dead air is horrific. They will need to have many replays and shots of the cheerleaders to make it somewhat interesting. They probably figure it would be hard for the spectators to hear the broadcast anyways with Crazy Aunt Jeanine and Drugged out Uncle Mike screaming and cussing because they didnt think it was fair that the kids got served dessert first.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #18
briane
Seasoned Veteran

http://www.privatepostmark.com

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
It's amazing just how many announcers are difficult to listen to--

My list includes Dan Dierdorf and Al Michaels, both of whom are complete Blaboholics.
Collinsworth is a Know-it-all. cant stand listening to him...
briane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #19
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
I remember the 1980s experiment and it was bad. Dead air is horrific. They will need to have many replays and shots of the cheerleaders to make it somewhat interesting. They probably figure it would be hard for the spectators to hear the broadcast anyways with Crazy Aunt Jeanine and Drugged out Uncle Mike screaming and cussing because they didnt think it was fair that the kids got served dessert first.
I remember them showing replays and slow mo shots but they were useless without a viewpoint.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #20
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Interesting.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #21
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

They should just mic up the refs and each of the owner suites.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #22
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
It was 1980, I lived in FL at the time, we were there less than a year it was the season the Raiders won the SB vs Philly.
Funny, 'cause I was in grad school, at a school I attended from August 1981 to May 1983.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #23
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I remember that game and I had the same reaction - worse without announcers. I guess they have to try an announcer free game every 30 years or so.

I like Gruden - I thought he had some very insightful comments on the Broncos Monday night. In fact I thought the analysis Monday night was a step up from what we usually get on Sundays from CBS/Fox.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #24
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Funny, 'cause I was in grad school, at a school I attended from August 1981 to May 1983.

NBC made history in the 1980s with an announcerless telecast (a one-shot experiment credited to Don Ohlmeyer, between the Jets and Dolphins in Miami on December 20, 1980 known as the "silent game"),

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_NBC

I remember being in FL and being pissed that I got were Jet and Giants games and absolutely no AFC West games that year on Sundays.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #25
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!

That sounds cool... Gonna DVR it...
zdoor is offline   Reply With Quote