The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Broncos have five games left against their top rivals

Broncos have five games left against their top rivals

Call it the last crumb on the table for the win-starved Broncos.

They exit their bye week this morning, still 2-6 but residing in an AFC West race in which most of the games left within the division are still to be played.

Or as wide receiver Brandon Lloyd said, "We could hit that reset button."

The Broncos are in the division cellar, but lead the way with five division games remaining, beginning Sunday when kansas city comes to Denver. The Chargers and chefs each have four division games remaining and the Raiders have three.

And with the chefs' loss in Oakland on Sunday, hope still springs eternal in all of the division's outposts, even a last-gasp wisp in Denver.

"We understand . . . we still have an opportunity to win the division," Broncos linebacker Mario Haggan said, just before adding he understood if nobody outside the Broncos' locker room believed in those words.

The chefs (5-3), having not finished a season with a winning record since 2006 . They are playing a last place schedule and sport an infusion of youth courtesy their last two drafts and have a win over the Chargers in their pocket already this season, having defeated San Diego in the season opener.

The chefs still have both meetings with Denver remaining to go with a trip to San Diego (Dec. 12). They also don't have a team that currently has a winning record remaining on their schedule.

The Raiders' flirtation with new-found optimism continued with Sunday's overtime win, and at 5-4 the Raiders are in their best position in years to play meaningful games down the stretch. After their bye this week, however, they face a daunting stretch that includes the Steelers, Dolphins, Jaguars and Colts, in addition to division games with the chefs and Chargers.

When all is said and done, history, at least the previous four seasons' worth, says the Chargers will be worth watching as things unfold over the next eight weeks.

San Diego has made a habit of a slow start that becomes a sprint to the finish.

The Chargers won their last 10 games in 2006, won their last six in 2007, won their last four in 2008 and won their last 11 games last season, overtaking everybody in front of them to win division titles in each of those years.

San Diego won its second consecutive game Sunday, at Houston, to improve to 4-5 heading into its bye week. The Chargers' next game will be Monday, Nov. 22, against the Broncos in San Diego.

"This game isn't about relief," Chargers coach Norv Turner told the media following Sunday's win. "I'm excited we're playing better, that we won a game on the road,"

If not for dismal special- teams play they've allowed three return touchdowns this season to go with two blocked punts as well as a deflected punt that went just 1 yard the Chargers might have been closer to the front in the division.

They have sported the league's No. 1 offense and No. 1 defense in recent weeks, and quarterback Philip Rivers is the league leader in both passing yards and passing touchdowns, no matter who seems to line up at receiver.

Sunday, Rivers threw for 295 yards to go with four touchdowns despite tight end Antonio Gates and wide receiver Malcom Floyd missing the game with injuries.

"Philip, the best thing about him is the way he competes," Turner said following Sunday's win. " . . . And he makes a lot of guys look like real good players."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16552228
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2010, 06:19 AM   #2
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

The best we can really hope for at this point is a high pick, an easy schedule next year, and a new coach. Sucks to admit, but this team shows no signs of being able to win one tough game, let alone run the table.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:43 AM   #3
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Chiefs had the easiest schedule thus far, and have the easiest remaining schedule. Their record is probably more a reflection of the fact that Scott Pioli knew someone at NFL scheduling, probably in a biblical way, given how much easier their schedule is then anyone elses.

Denver has the next "easiest" schedule, but that schedule is looking harder and harder given we have the entire AFC west in front of us, and a few humiliating defeats behind us.

San Diego's schedule is about the same as ours, now that they played the hardest remaining game on their schedule - the Texans.

Oakland's remaining schedule is brutal. If they win the AFC West, they deserve it.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:08 AM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
Chiefs had the easiest schedule thus far, and have the easiest remaining schedule. Their record is probably more a reflection of the fact that Scott Pioli knew someone at NFL scheduling, probably in a biblical way, given how much easier their schedule is then anyone elses.

Denver has the next "easiest" schedule, but that schedule is looking harder and harder given we have the entire AFC west in front of us, and a few humiliating defeats behind us.

San Diego's schedule is about the same as ours, now that they played the hardest remaining game on their schedule - the Texans.

Oakland's remaining schedule is brutal. If they win the AFC West, they deserve it.
chiefs have lost several of their last few games, they are done for the season. look for SD to come back and win the division again.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Firing McDaniels after this season would be a massive mistake. Give the guy a shot to coach his full roster and see what shakes out.

I don't think the team will be willing to pay two head coaches again.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

We CAN make up some ground in the AFC West, but that involves actually PLAYING BETTER and MAKING BETTER COACHING DECISIONS. I hope the team used this bye week to get some issues corrected on the field AND with the coaching staff...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
TheProfessor
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
Firing McDaniels after this season would be a massive mistake. Give the guy a shot to coach his full roster and see what shakes out.

I don't think the team will be willing to pay two head coaches again.
I have this terrible feeling that is the only reason he will be coaching here next year.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
I have this terrible feeling that is the only reason he will be coaching here next year.
IF they lose to the chefs at home, I think the only way the fans aren't going to get ugly is if a significant chunk of next year is lost to a lockout.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
TheProfessor
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
IF they lose to the chefs at home, I think the only way the fans aren't going to get ugly is if a significant chunk of next year is lost to a lockout.
I think that is what Bowlen is betting on.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
Homer Simpson
╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮

...speak up, I'm wearing a toga

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fone Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
The best we can really hope for at this point is a high pick, an easy schedule next year, and a new coach. Sucks to admit, but this team shows no signs of being able to win one tough game, let alone run the table.
That's just plain wrong. The over reaction here is incredible. We played the Colts tough, we lost to the Jets on a fluke/bad luck, we destroyed the Seahawks. We had two absolutely horrible weeks then the bye, during which a few players that were jettisoned played well.
Homer Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #11
Bronco Yoda

Too bad we're not playing the AFC East instead. McD might actualy get the team ready to go.

I do not want to start over with a new head coach!

However....

...I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If McD losses again to the Raiders, I want him fired before he hits the showers!!!!!! I'd make it known that he needs not even ride back with the team. Hand over your keys as you pass the Black Hole.

Furthermore. He better at least split the KFC games or he's done after this season.

The Bolts are still stronger than us and have had our number. But McD still needs to show he can be COMPETITIVE in these two games or he's done after this season.

He best damn well better learn to get our team up for the divisional games or he can hit the road for all I care. I don't expect miracles, but I do expect some fire in the grill from McD when it comes to our own back yard BBQ's.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

It's like I said, when we lost Dumervil we went from good to average. Losing Ayers we went from average to suck. The rest is just salt in the wound. We're a team that will be extremely lucky to win more than 2 games the rest of the year. And I'm totally convinced the Bills could beat us.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #13
bendog
Marginally Continent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

3 of the front 7 are legit nfl starters, and two are hurt, but the defense sucked before they were hurt.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Great we get to look forward to losing a bunch more. All 3 west teams loads better then Denver. KC, SD probably blow us out also.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
It's like I said, when we lost Dumervil we went from good to average. Losing Ayers we went from average to suck. The rest is just salt in the wound. We're a team that will be extremely lucky to win more than 2 games the rest of the year. And I'm totally convinced the Bills could beat us.
Finally on board with my preseason assessment of the team. Back then you said I knew nothing about football.

Last edited by cutthemdown; 11-08-2010 at 12:04 PM..
Old 11-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

You people are crazy if you think are only problems are doom and ayers being gone. Doom was huge, Ayers is decent, but the defense had these same problems last yr with doom. He only made the defense funner to watch but not much more effective.

One of the huge problems are the safety spots. They have been really crappy. Dawkins is slowing way down and after him there isn't one NFL roster worthy player. Well maybe bkups for ST but no bonafide starters.

The corners are over-rated outside of Bailey.

And the linebacking stinks. DJ not cut out for a 3-4, all the rest of them are junk.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Did i not say in preseason Broncos will probably only win 4-5 games. Then I said maybe they get to 8-8 if some rookies really step up on the oline. Nothing about this yr is surprising except maybe Ortons yardage totals.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #18
Merlin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Simpson View Post
That's just plain wrong. The over reaction here is incredible. We played the Colts tough, we lost to the Jets on a fluke/bad luck, we destroyed the Seahawks. We had two absolutely horrible weeks then the bye, during which a few players that were jettisoned played well.
Yes, don't let their 4-14 record in the past 18 games or 2-6 this season dissuade you. To paraphrase Parcells, they are no better than their record, and it has been clearly trending in one direction...to suggest otherwise is nothing more than Homerism
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #19
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
You people are crazy if you think are only problems are doom and ayers being gone. Doom was huge, Ayers is decent, but the defense had these same problems last yr with doom. He only made the defense funner to watch but not much more effective.

One of the huge problems are the safety spots. They have been really crappy. Dawkins is slowing way down and after him there isn't one NFL roster worthy player. Well maybe bkups for ST but no bonafide starters.

The corners are over-rated outside of Bailey.

And the linebacking stinks. DJ not cut out for a 3-4, all the rest of them are junk.
Injury excuse is given by Mcd lovers.
Doom played last season and was not effective during later part of the season.
Every team has injury excuses..We lost to a 3rd String QB(Troy Smith).
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #20
Merlin
Ring of Famer

One can make a very reasonable argument that Denver will likely win only two more games the rest of the season. Every team left on the plate has been improving, including the Bills. Despite the recent losses by KC, they have looked far better than Denver, and it would not be surprising if they swept Denver.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #21
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
One can make a very reasonable argument that Denver will likely win only two more games the rest of the season. Every team left on the plate has been improving, including the Bills. Despite the recent losses by KC, they have looked far better than Denver, and it would not be surprising if they swept Denver.
We don't play the Bills.
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #22
bendog
Marginally Continent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
We don't play the Bills.
Just destroy every little hope there is, why don't you.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #23
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
Just destroy every little hope there is, why don't you.
To be honest, there are plenty of teams I'd want to play over them right now.
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #24
Merlin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
We don't play the Bills.
Thanks, a couple of thoughts got commingled. Every team on our plate has been improving, and the same can be said of the win-less Bill for the past couple of games.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #25
Merlin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
To be honest, there are plenty of teams I'd want to play over them right now.
They could easily have gotten a couple of quality wins in the past couple of weeks...sometimes it's a b**** to crawl out of one's losing ways.