The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default Paige: McDaniels' job safe for now...

LONDON If Josh McDaniels were running for office in Colorado today, he couldn't get elected dog catcher, cat chaser or even rat pursuer.

There is one vote he certainly won't get.

The dreaded vote of confidence.

The bosses of the Broncos' head coach owner Pat Bowlen and COO Joe Ellis are not talking in flowery phrases about McDaniels' job security. In fact, the two are not talking at all publicly.

Both were witnesses here to the Broncos' fourth consecutive defeat this one to arguably the NFL's second-worst team and the one the week before was arguably the worst loss at home in team history.

Neither stepped up on the speaker's stand at Hyde Park on Monday morning and misquoted Shakespeare: "Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown, and the body that wears the hoodie."

Instead, Bowlen stood quietly on the sideline at the end of the loss Sunday night and did not talk to the media afterward. He has medical issues, and is maintaining a much lower profile (read: no profile at all) this season. He last gave an interview with The Post's Mike Klis at the Pro Bowl.

Ellis, who is running the Broncos' daily business operations (thus, the title chief operating officer), has chosen, somewhat reluctantly, not to address the McDaniels Matter on the record.

But it is known that Bowlen and Ellis continue to support their second-year coach (who has a four-year contract) despite his approval rating with Broncos loyalists dropping to its lowest level yet. Lower, it can be suggested, than at least one man who is running for a major political office in Colorado.

McD has not been popular almost from the day of his hiring, Jan. 12, 2009. When hired he was considered by many too young, too inexperienced, too brash and too, too New England Patriotish. He and quarterback Jay Cutler had a "misunderstanding," and Cutler ended up gone. Then, there was a dismantling of Mike Shana- han's staff and offensive system.

A 6-0 start in McDaniels' first season gave the coach his highest trust factor. A 2-8 finish with losses at home to division teams San Diego, Oakland and Kansas City, and no playoff berth destroyed that feel-better relationship with the faithful fans, the cynical media and the casual followers.

McDaniels got rid of Brandon Marshall, Tony Scheffler and Peyton Hillis, among others, and two remaining longtime assistants from the previous regime, running backs coach Bobby Turner and offensive line coach Rick Dennison, left. Some of the Broncos' most serious problems this season the running game, the offensive line and the lack of receiving production at tight end are directly attributable to changes McDaniels made.

His selection of Tim Tebow in the first round of this year's draft became a polarizing issue. Trading for defensive back Alphonso Smith (acquired for a No. 1 pick last year), then giving up on him, combined with a lack of improvement from last year's other top choices (especially Knowshon Moreno and Richard Quinn) and a stream of injuries have contributed to the rise of the fans' anger.

Bottom line, a 4-14 record from bye week 2009 to bye week 2010 has been the most serious cause of McDaniels' fall from grace with the sea of orange and blue.

McDaniels is about as unpopular as King John was in England 800 years ago. But there will be no Broncos Magna Carta.

SUBMIT YOUR QUESTION

Post sports columnist Woody Paige fields your questions. Look for Woody's Mailbag on Thursdays.

Bowlen and Ellis have the only votes that count and they will not fire McDaniels now, nor at the end of this season and not before the conclusion of the 2011 season . . . unless.

Bowlen and Ellis hired McDaniels, and do not wish to be embarrassed by admitting they made a mistake. The team still owes Shanahan half his annual $7 million salary for this season and next. The Broncos' double-headed leaders never will pay three head coaches at the same time.

And B&E, and their advisers, still sincerely believe in McDaniels. They feel he has improved as an off- field manager over last year. They believe he picked superior players in the draft this year, utilized the salary cap funds (and free-agent expenditures) more wisely than Shanahan and has upgraded the overall franchise despite the poor on-field results. And they think, as McDaniels does, this season can be turned around and next season will be fruitful.

In spite of the hue, and the cry, of the masses, McDaniels will not be overthrown or axed like a dreadful English king, unless the commoners stop coming. And that won't happen.

But, as McDaniels departed the United Kingdom on Monday morning, he wore the crown uneasy.

Good thing for McD Coloradans can't cast their vote for coach today.

Woody Paige: 303-954-1095 or wpaige@denverpost.com
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2010, 01:55 AM   #2
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Instead, Bowlen stood quietly on the sideline at the end of the loss Sunday night and did not talk to the media afterward. He has medical issues, and is maintaining a much lower profile (read: no profile at all) this season. He last gave an interview with The Post's Mike Klis at the Pro Bowl.
Let's make fun of Pat after that we can hide an Alzheimer's cheat sheet so he can't find his way home.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:57 AM   #3
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
And B&E, and their advisers, still sincerely believe in McDaniels. They feel he has improved as an off- field manager over last year. They believe he picked superior players in the draft this year, utilized the salary cap funds (and free-agent expenditures) more wisely than Shanahan and has upgraded the overall franchise — despite the poor on-field results. And they think, as McDaniels does, this season can be turned around — and next season will be fruitful.
Clearly they did not consult rev., jesterhole, go_broncos or jhns about this.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:06 AM   #4
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
And B&E, and their advisers, still sincerely believe in McDaniels. They feel he has improved as an off- field manager over last year. They believe he picked superior players in the draft this year, utilized the salary cap funds (and free-agent expenditures) more wisely than Shanahan and has upgraded the overall franchise — despite the poor on-field results. And they think, as McDaniels does, this season can be turned around — and next season will be fruitful.
What the hell do they know compared to the astute football minds here. You'd think they were around Dove Valley every day of something...

...and what's up with the players showing solidarity for Mctryant.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:24 AM   #5
Rausch 2.0
Angry Drunken German

Angry Drunken German

Adopt-a-Bronco:
McD

Quote:
But it is known that Bowlen and Ellis continue to support their second-year coach (who has a four-year contract) despite his approval rating with Broncos loyalists dropping to its lowest level yet.

Rausch 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:27 AM   #6
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Funny I don't see any mullets in that crowd.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:33 AM   #7
Rausch 2.0
Angry Drunken German

Angry Drunken German

Adopt-a-Bronco:
McD

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Funny I don't see any mullets in that crowd.
I tried.

I can't afford the gas a ****ing 15 year old Camaro demands but I went for the mullet.

Once the hair grew beyond the collar I got the the big thumbs down from the higher ups at work.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:35 AM   #8
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rausch 2.0 View Post
I tried.

I can't afford the gas a ****ing 15 year old Camaro demands but I went for the mullet.

Once the hair grew beyond the collar I got the the big thumbs down from the higher ups at work.
Commie baastards
Old 11-02-2010, 02:41 AM   #9
Rausch 2.0
Angry Drunken German

Angry Drunken German

Adopt-a-Bronco:
McD

Quote:
Commie baastards
Some people just don't ****ing get what football is all about...
Old 11-02-2010, 02:46 AM   #10
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rausch 2.0 View Post
Some people just don't ****ing get what football is all about...
I think we should tell them, "Missouri love it of leave it"
Old 11-02-2010, 03:08 AM   #11
Rausch 2.0
Angry Drunken German

Angry Drunken German

Adopt-a-Bronco:
McD

Quote:
I think we should tell them, "Missouri love it of leave it"
Preach it to a mullet that didn't major in English...
Old 11-02-2010, 03:15 AM   #12
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'd keep McDaniels for next year at least, give him a chance to have a shot with a team that isn't severely compromised by injuries before the start of the season.

I think there's a good coach in him there somewhere, so I'd rather we didn't just give up on him even if this season has gone horribly.

We need to be a good team in 2011 or he's gone though, no two ways about it.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:20 AM   #13
Rausch 2.0
Angry Drunken German

Angry Drunken German

Adopt-a-Bronco:
McD

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post
I'd keep McDaniels for next year at least, give him a chance to have a shot with a team that isn't severely compromised by injuries before the start of the season.

I think there's a good coach in him there somewhere, so I'd rather we didn't just give up on him even if this season has gone horribly.
If there's anything a KC fan knows it's when you have a $#itty QB and a $#itty HC.

You have a $#itty HC.

Deal with this now...
Old 11-02-2010, 03:40 AM   #14
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't believe Mcd has what it takes in either attitude or know-how to turn this around. He's obviously in over his head with no life line out. I hope Bowlen cuts bait after this season and finds someone who can embody what Bronco football is all about.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:47 AM   #15
Rausch 2.0
Angry Drunken German

Angry Drunken German

Adopt-a-Bronco:
McD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
He's obviously in over his head with no life line out.
This.

Haley's stupid is counterbalanced by Pioli.

Pimp-coat just gave the keys to McFuggenwhadIgeddadrive and let him ruin the family bidness...
Old 11-02-2010, 03:51 AM   #16
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Mcd should be given a chance till the end of this season.
If we continue losing games, Bowlen should fire him.
If he shows some improvement, then he should be given one more year.
Bowlen should first hire a experienced GM.

Also, we should start winning games against AFC West.
It seems that we play well against AFC East teams.
Mcd should stop thinking that Denver is in AFC East.

Last edited by go_broncos; 11-02-2010 at 03:54 AM..
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:03 AM   #17
Rausch 2.0
Angry Drunken German

Angry Drunken German

Adopt-a-Bronco:
McD

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
Bowlen should first hire a experienced GM.
Let's start here.

Yes, agreed.

Fire the HC and hire a legit GM.

This team needs oversight...
Old 11-02-2010, 05:29 AM   #18
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
I don't believe Mcd has what it takes in either attitude or know-how to turn this around. He's obviously in over his head with no life line out. I hope Bowlen cuts bait after this season and finds someone who can embody what Bronco football is all about.
And then, when that guy isn't winning games after dismantling the program and putting his own guys in place, after two years, we can fire him. Because he's not winning games.

Then, when the guy replaces him, he'll get two years to change the system again, and if it ain't workin', we'll show him the door.

Two years after that, when that coach can't get any wins on the board because he has all new players in place, he can be dismissed, and we'll have another reason for optimism and another new head coach.

Hooray for the perpetual optimism that comes with new coaches. Hooray for sub-.500 football. Hooray for instant gratification with no long-term result.

I get what you're saying, but if you get into a cycle like the one I described above, we won't be winning games for a good decade. Sounds great, doesn't it?

As for the GM bit, I agree with that. But McDaniels should get another year.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:08 AM   #19
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Guys, sometimes the proof isn't in the pudding. No matter what happens this season, I think McD will coach winning Bronco teams in the future--the process is simply taking longer than I and many believed/hoped.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:11 AM   #20
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
And then, when that guy isn't winning games after dismantling the program and putting his own guys in place, after two years, we can fire him. Because he's not winning games.

Then, when the guy replaces him, he'll get two years to change the system again, and if it ain't workin', we'll show him the door.

Two years after that, when that coach can't get any wins on the board because he has all new players in place, he can be dismissed, and we'll have another reason for optimism and another new head coach.

Hooray for the perpetual optimism that comes with new coaches. Hooray for sub-.500 football. Hooray for instant gratification with no long-term result.

I get what you're saying, but if you get into a cycle like the one I described above, we won't be winning games for a good decade. Sounds great, doesn't it?

As for the GM bit, I agree with that. But McDaniels should get another year.
as far as being a GM, mcdaniels actually did pretty damn good in year 2. look at the draft, would ANYONE replace demaryius thomas wiht any other pick at this point? tebow is controversial but considering 80% of you want him to start for whatever reason, i think most can agree his ceiling is ridiculous.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:17 AM   #21
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Quote:
They actually did. I got outvoted 2-1....a-holes...
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:24 AM   #22
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

I think it's clear that McDaniels staying has a lot to do with money and the front office wanting to avoid looking stupid. I do think that McDaniels has the ability to be a good head coach some day. He isn't there yet, on a few levels, and I'm tired of my team being his learn-as-you-go experience. I think he dismantled a young good core group that needed improvement in a few areas and has assembled something less impressive, less talented, and less exciting.

The biggest thing is, with Shanahan, I almost never went into a game thinking we didn't have a chance. He was just too good of a coach for that. It's just the opposite with Josh.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:27 AM   #23
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
Guys, sometimes the proof isn't in the pudding. No matter what happens this season, I think McD will coach winning Bronco teams in the future--the process is simply taking longer than I and many believed/hoped.
So how long in the NFL do you get to prove yourself as head Coach? Seriously...It hasn't even been a season and a half and with the injuries the Broncos have had it can't be easy to put a winning team on the field.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:28 AM   #24
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

McDaniels will get another year unless the team just quits playing the rest of the season. There is still this idiot perception by some that McDaniels inherited a great team that was one player away from a championship and he just totally screwed that up. There are people seriously wishing they still had that bonehead Cutler, pick waiting to happen, on this team and he somehow was going to lead this team to playoffs and championships. If the Bears even make the playoffs, it looks like it will be because of sound defense and special teams and not because of such wonderful QB play. Brandon Marshall has 1 TD so far this year. Wow.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:35 AM   #25
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Clearly they didn't use their brains either. He upgraded the franchise? What makes that an accurate statement? The 2-6 record? The losing streak longer than any we had under Shanahan? Letting the Raiders set franchise records on us?

Sorry if my not agreeing is offensive to you baja. I like to live in reality though. I can't help but use my brain when thinking...
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote