The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton
Default Telling Statistic

I saw this come up at the beginning of the game against the 49ers. We are last in the NFL in average starting field position...again. Year in and year out we are starting at the 20 yard line AT BEST, and it's pathetic. We don't force punters into bad kicks, we don't block kicks, our returners fumble it far too often(having Royal pull double-duty is about the only way to solve that and provide a spark to the return game), I mean come on. This is what bothers me above all, just about every time we get the ball we have a minimum of 80 yards to go for a score, it's unacceptable that we are so poor in such a huge portion of the game, field position.

Our average starting field position is the 27 yard line. To put that in perspective, the Jets, number one in this category, start at the 33.73(we'll just say 34) yard line. While the disparity is only 7 yards, I think most of us who watch the games have seen just how bad we are at this, even dating back to the Shanny era.

Last edited by Zoobie; 11-01-2010 at 04:40 PM..
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobie View Post
I saw this come up at the beginning of the game against the 49ers. We are last in the NFL in average starting field position...again. Year in and year out we are starting at the 20 yard line AT BEST, and it's pathetic. We don't force punters into bad kicks, we don't block kicks, our returners fumble it far too often(having Royal pull double-duty is about the only way to solve that and provide a spark to the return game), I mean come on. This is what bothers me above all, just about every time we get the ball we have a minimum of 80 yards to go for a score, it's unacceptable that we are so poor in such a huge portion of the game, field position.
I wouldn't say it is just a special teams issue. It is a defensive issue as well. We hardly ever get teams to go 3 and out. I wonder what our opponents average plays per drive is.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlayShay View Post
I wouldn't say it is just a special teams issue. It is a defensive issue as well. We hardly ever get teams to go 3 and out. I wonder what our opponents average plays per drive is.
We rank 18th at 29.45. I agree it's not all special teams, our defense is horrid on 3rd down. Having said that, I can't recall the last time our special teams did something special, aside from Eddie Royal's game against the Chargers. When was the last time we blocked a punt, FG, extra point, consistently put our opponent in horrible position?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Quote:
We rank 18th at 29.45. I agree it's not all special teams, our defense is horrid on 3rd down. Having said that, I can't recall the last time our special teams did something special, aside from Eddie Royal's game against the Chargers. When was the last time we blocked a punt, FG, extra point, consistently put our opponent in horrible position?
Well, looking at it that way, forcing more 3 and outs would give our punt returners better opportunities at returns. Rather than fielding the ball inside our 20, they could be catching it at the 30 - 40.

I believe it is referred to as "complimentary football"
Old 11-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlayShay View Post
Well, looking at it that way, forcing more 3 and outs would give our punt returners better opportunities at returns. Rather than fielding the ball inside our 20, they could be catching it at the 30 - 40.

I believe it is referred to as "complimentary football"
I agree wholeheartedly, something has to be done. I'm not a big stats guy, but I think this is one that really hits home. We put ourselves in really bad position almost all the time, and don't do much to stop it on the other side of the ball either.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #6
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Turnovers
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

How about wins: 2
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Remember that special teams also tends to reflect the talent of the depth behind the starters. Bad special teams often indicates a lack of depth.

(Well no **** Sherlock, most should say here).
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Yea, that made Moss' stupid clip that much more painful. He took away the first special teams excitement this year.

I was thinking about blocked kicks on Sunday, too. Seems like we never do, even through the last administration.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Last blocked punt I can recall was in 2002 @ the Chiefs.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
Remember that special teams also tends to reflect the talent of the depth behind the starters. Bad special teams often indicates a lack of depth.

(Well no **** Sherlock, most should say here).
As well as the insistence that *good* players don't play ST. Dez Bryant is more important to Dallas' O than DT is to ours but it took until, what, the 5th game of the season before DT got back there returning punts? Unless they're #1-2 on your depth chart, everyone should be playing ST that can contribute.

And as for Royal providing a spark on ST... bahahaha...

I too am completely charged after watching yet ANOTHER fair catch by Royal. Makes me want to go out there and take the field myself, I'm so pumped. Since he played decent as a WR, he never did lay it out there as a returnman, it seems. Every now and then he has a good play but nothing near what his speed and quickness suggests he's capable of.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #12
BroncosSR
Perennial Pro-bowler

I'll never forget last year against the Redskins. Special teams was lining up for the punt and redskins motioned as to fake punt. McD calls timeout. Line up again and again the Redskins motion to fake punt and they are successful. At that point, I knew the Broncos were on the decline.
BroncosSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #13
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

smarter, tougher football

-Josh "9 men on the field" McDaniels
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #14
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelbeef View Post
smarter, tougher football

-Josh "9 men on the field" McDaniels
i've been trying to understand how this is relevant in the thread
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #15
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer

This space for rent

rushing attempts... we're near the back of the pack with those. Having said that, its hard to commit to an ineffective rushing attack.
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #16
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Yea, that made Moss' stupid clip that much more painful. He took away the first special teams excitement this year.

I was thinking about blocked kicks on Sunday, too. Seems like we never do, even through the last administration.
That's what i'm talking about, the niners have more in one season than we have in the past 5 years. It never looks like we even try to get creative and make a block.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #17
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Turnovers
This. When was the last time our defense forced a turnover deep in opponent's territory?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #18
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
This. When was the last time our defense forced a turnover deep in opponent's territory?
3 weeks ago.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #19
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Special teams (overall) was actually pretty good against Seattle. Had a couple of big plays.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #20
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson

Don't run that sh*t this way.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
As well as the insistence that *good* players don't play ST. Dez Bryant is more important to Dallas' O than DT is to ours but it took until, what, the 5th game of the season before DT got back there returning punts? Unless they're #1-2 on your depth chart, everyone should be playing ST that can contribute.

I too am completely charged after watching yet ANOTHER fair catch by Royal. Makes me want to go out there and take the field myself, I'm so pumped. Since he played decent as a WR, he never did lay it out there as a returnman, it seems. Every now and then he has a good play but nothing near what his speed and quickness suggests he's capable of.
I'd rather DT not return kicks. I still cringe every time he is back there.
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:23 PM   #21
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post

If Jarvis doesn't make a mistake, that would be 3 return TDs in the past year and a half for Royal. How is that not a spark?
Old 11-02-2010, 12:58 AM   #22
Rausch 2.0
Angry Drunken German

Angry Drunken German

Adopt-a-Bronco:
McD

The NFL is so close right now that you have to be able to do the basics to win games.

Run the football, play good defense.

This is why you're seeing poor to average teams with solid records.

Jets, Dolphins, Rams, Chiefs, Raiders all with solid records.

It's not flashy but it wins. And if the QB situations for any of these teams ever solidifies they could be playoff dangerous...
Rausch 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote