The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys
Default Denver Broncos: Pat Bowlen Should Now Focus on the Future of the Franchise

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...denver-broncos
Itís time to face the facts.

The Denver Broncos are at the crossroads to what kind of franchise they are going to be for the foreseeable future.

Much in the way he did a little over a decade ago by implementing changes to the Denver Broncos' jerseys, logo, and apparel line through "focus groups", it's time again for Mr. Bowlen to re-focus the football franchise.

Credit Pat Bowlen for doing what he believed was the right move in cutting ties with a friend and fan favorite coach in Mike Shanahan. It seemed to be the right time in his mind to start anew, given the recent years of drama and turmoil no sports franchise should ever have to go through.

So Mr. Bowlen gambled on Josh McDaniels to become the next best thing in football since Mike Shanahan took over the Broncos in 1995. The only problem was, and has been, Josh McDaniels never entirely established credibility in the NFL on a broad scale, and it something he still wrestles with to this day.

The most essential reality about the way Mr. Bowlen has handled the franchise is that he has robbed Peter to pay Paul--he has raked the fans and Denver community to survive financially and deliver a low-rent product on the field.

Evaluating the Current Track Record under Josh McDaniels

Josh McDaniels might not be able to right the Broncos shipwreck.
Chris McGrath/Getty Images
Without a doubt the game against the rival Oakland Raiders has had Broncos fans thinking about the future of the franchise. It was a Mickey Mouse affair that saw the Broncos dominated by the Oakland Raiders like they never have before, to the tune of 59-14.

It was more than just unacceptable to Broncos fans; it was a game that has a majority of Broncos fans clamoring for a change at the head coach position. If nothing else, it was obvious that the players gave up on McDaniel's as their head coach during the game.

In England the Broncos put forth a much better effort against the San Francisco 49ers and still saw the reliable kicking game go in the tank. The Broncos also saw two touchdowns called back due to penalties and the now usual breakdowns in key situations that saw stalled drives and turnovers seal their fate.

The most important statistical breakout on the Denver Broncos are that they are 0-4 in their last four games, 2-6 on the season, and have now lost 14 out of 18 dating back to last season.

So what does all this mean?

Mr. Bowlen Needs a New Focus Group

Itís time to evaluate the entire franchise. The reality is, at this juncture, McDaniels has not earned the right to be the coach in the third season of his deal. The reasoning is simple, the Broncos are not competitive enough under his watch and that much is obvious.

Kyle Orton's body language says it all.
Warren Little/Getty Images
McDaniels' offensive scheme has failed. Brandon Lloyd was quoted after the game in London against the 49ers adamantly defending the coach and the scheme, saying itís not the scheme but rather citing a lack of team execution.

The reality is heís only partially right. The Broncos do have execution issues. A great deal of the execution faltering is due to the extra pressure placed on the offense unnecessarily through a lack luster run scheme and an excessive amount of third and long situations which result in failed drives.

This is not meant to call Lloyd out as much as it is to show that his comments are not entirely accurate about the current offensive scheme. If you donít believe it, read every article about the scheme written by yours truly outlining its short falls.

Itís all been documented clearly. In fact, as the writer who has been the most critical of the Broncos offensive scheme, I even gave the readers' year end breakouts last year, a quarterly breakout to start this season and there will be more to follow later this week to drive the point home.

At the end of the day, the only thing that should be trusted is this: the Broncos offensive scheme has flaws.

Now fans could look at the New England Patriots and say the scheme works under them, right? That is a very fair and very legitimate question to which the Broncos have not any viable answers. Much of the excuse making starts by looking at the Broncos offensive line woes and how the team has failed to produce a decent running attack.

John Elway would have instant credibility as the Broncos new General Manager.
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Statistically speaking, Tom Brady and Kyle Orton had very similar stat sheets entering Sundayís games, but the Broncos have experienced far more breakdowns in their offensive attack.

The nutshell answer is it all boils down to how the Broncos set themselves up to fail on third down. That fact alone is an indictment on the offensive scheme if nothing else is.

A Wind of Change That Makes Some Sense

Much of the fan base is ready for McDaniels to go. The likelihood of that happening by the end of this season is quite slim, especially considering Bowlenís recent track record in supporting McDaniels. The fact is McDaniels' hiring was always a cost cutting move on behalf of Bowlen in hopes of pulling a rabbit out of the hat.

This just inÖthe rabbit has left the building!

So there are no magic tricks, no cost cutting maneuvers, no pipe dreams and no scheme adjustments by Josh McDaniels that are going to save this franchise anytime soon. Not even Tim Tebow can save the current direction of the Broncos franchise.

One thing is clear however, Mr. Bowlen should be ready to shake things up in Dove Valley for the good of righting the franchise.

Jon Gruden oozes football and has the fire the Broncos franchise needs and he could make a successful transition in Denver.
Allen Kee/Getty Images
At the very least, Mr. Bowlen should be asking Josh to replace a coach or two.

Another move that would show how bold Mr. Bowlen can be as a competitor is to officially bring John Elway back to the franchise, and not as a consultant. At this juncture Elway should become the new General Manager with the ultimate say on the Denver Broncos' direction.

This would both represent and force a balance the franchise has needed and sorely lacked for some time now. Another real reason for this suggestion is this: Elway is probably ready to be a full-time GM despite all of his other business dealings.

Itís an outside-looking-in perception, but having Elway heavily involved in re-shaping the Denver Broncos would probably serve as a good thing for Elway and the Denver Broncos franchise; it would energize the fan base and help Mr. Bowlen to save face in the community that still appreciates him.

The right move would be to replace McDaniels immediately. Now is the time for the Denver Broncos to make a move on a head coach (logically) because they could get Jon Gruden. Now is the time to make a move on landing a coach prior to other teams like Dallas and San Francisco entering into a bidding war, both of which are positions Gruden would likely value higher than Denver.

The reason Gruden makes a lot of sense is because he understands football on a number of levels. He understands it as a GM, as a head coach, as an offensive coordinator and probably most importantly, as a motivator when it comes to where the Broncos are right now.

Should the Broncos bring in John Elway as the GM and Jon Gruden as the head coach?

Yes
No
Give Josh more time
Submit Vote vote to see results
There are other viable coaches out there, but the one that makes the most sense of bringing back some fire to the Broncos fan base is Gruden.

A Final Suggestion from the Fans

This final suggestion should be taken to heart by Bowlen and the Broncos franchise moving forward.

Itís time to change the jerseys on the field, they have run their course.

The Broncos should get back to the 1977 Orange Crush look. Itís still OK to keep some form of a blue jersey as well, but the Broncos franchise boomed as the Orange Crush and had the most distinct orange color in all of sports, why they abandoned it has never made any sense to the die-hard fans. Itís time to bring it back!

When Bill Parcells wanted to re-vamp the New York Jets, what did he do?

He brought back the Jets original look of their glory days and it is still vibrant with that franchise since his departure.

The same would be true with the Broncos franchise.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

That's long ....

Should I just link this?
Old 11-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
That's long ....

Should I just link this?
It's from bleacher report, you shouldn't have posted it at all.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Anyone who advocates replacing a HC mid-season is a fool. Even if you have a long time assistant on staff already who is the logical successor, it's a bad idea. Barring that, it's 'absolute rediclues'
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

I will consider doing something rash if Jon Gruden becomes our coach. He won with Tony Dungy's team then sucked for years afterwards.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
This is not meant to call Lloyd out as much as it is to show that his comments are not entirely accurate about the current offensive scheme. If you don’t believe it, read every article about the scheme written by yours truly outlining its short falls.
In other words: Hey, here's my argument. If you don't believe me well then read this right here, I wrote that too. That doesn't make any sense.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
yerner
Ring of Famer

Not a fan of Gruden, but I imagine it wouldn't be the worst option for Tim Tebow to stick with the broncos.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlayShay View Post
It's from bleacher report, you shouldn't have posted it at all.
Ya I know they're not popular here and truth is I din't read the whole thing but when skimming the article I saw a few questions that seem to be on everyone's mind.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

bleacherreport? really? might as well post a woody paige article.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

This team MUST lead the league in second and long.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #11
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

It's hard to fault the scheme for the horrible play of the offensive line, which is very young.

Clearly, McDaniels insistence on getting players who play with the "right" attitude extends the rebuilding process. It's amazing that the team McDaniels took over won eight games, given that so many players that McD no longer wanted, no longer have jobs or have been playing elsewhere horribly. We'd like to think that the cupboard wasn't bare when he arrived, but clearly it was.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
bleacherreport? really? might as well post a woody paige article.
I posted it because I like the idea in the last paragraph.

Change the uniforms. It felt so good watching that Jets / Broncos game with the throw back unis.

I gotta go read the rest now.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #13
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
I posted it because I like the idea in the last paragraph.

Change the uniforms. It felt so good watching that Jets / Broncos game with the throw back unis.

I gotta go read the rest now.
Yeah, that was the only part of the article that wasn't horse ****.

I actually like that idea.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #14
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Quote:
Those weren't throwbacks, they were alternates.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #15
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Well Some intriguing ideas;
John Elway for GM

John Gruden for HC

.......and do it now

I don't think any change should be made before the end of the season. Give Josh the rest of the season and review your options then.

I have no idea if Elway would make a good GM my guess would be no.

I like John Gruden I'm bothered that his players hate him though.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #16
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlayShay View Post
Those weren't throwbacks, they were alternates.
The orange ones what ever those were.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #17
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
How does Bowlen not understand this? Maybe we could start a petition or something.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #18
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Quote:
They are our alternates, and they should be our primaries. Do away with the blue ones, if we want to wear something other than the nike oranges(that you saw against the Jets), then wear our oldschool orange with the powder blue helmets as an alternate. We are the Broncos, not the Bears, blue is not our color.
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #19
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

The Denver coaching job isn't the worst job in the league, as this guy seems to think.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #20
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I would rather have Tony Dungy as GM. He has a proven track record as a talent evaluator. He could also settle McDaniels down and give him a little mentoring. Then, if Josh can't cut it, he could lead the effort to build a new team.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #21
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Screw the unis. I want a winning team. That article was well thought out and made a lot of sense. Rest of you still on Josh's jock pull your head out and take a breath of fresh air.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #22
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
The Denver coaching job isn't the worst job in the league, as this guy seems to think.
OK Buffalo is #1
McDummy is def #2 and I mean that in the best possible way !!!!
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #23
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Bleacher report got so bad they made their "writers" take basic writing exams.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #24
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
OK Buffalo is #1
McDummy is def #2 and I mean that in the best possible way !!!!
I didn't mean it in the sense of the job that is currently being done but rather potential for future candidates. Buffalo keeps the top spot anyhow.

He made a statement that Gruden would not favor coming to Denver if we don't sign him now.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #25
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

Didnt Gruden have Griese and Simms start for him?
Did Gruden leave on bad terms with Al Davis? For some reason I thought he got traded.
broncolife is offline   Reply With Quote