The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos
 
The MVPlaya's Avatar
 
out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,383
Default Westhoff on McDaniels' onside kick criticism: "I invented the damn thing"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...he-damn-thing/

Westhoff on McDaniels' onside kick criticism: "I invented the damn thing"

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 29, 2010 9:24 AM ET
Jets special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff, our favorite breakout star of HBO's Hard Knocks this year, is still bothered by an onside kick that his group gave up to the Broncos two weeks ago.

He also seems to be bothered by Broncos coach Josh McDaniels' assertion that the Jets' formation made them more susceptible to onside kicks than any team in the league.

"I invented the damn thing, so I don't care what he says," Westhoff said to reporters Friday.

Once he talked about the decision, though, Westhoff brought up a way he could have possibly prevented it from happening. And then he basically admitted McDaniels was right in the most Westhoff-ian way possible.

"What he said was actually right but I don't know where the hell he was when I started the damn thing and to tell you the truth I don't care," Westhoff said.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,702

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

is the rex ryan dumbness contagious?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator
 
Man-Goblin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 5,959

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Actually, onsides kicks were invented in the 1700's as a way for village males to win the heart of the only mating female in their kingdom.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
jhat01
Ring of Famer
 
jhat01's Avatar
 
Knuckle Dragging Homer

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: West River
Posts: 1,853

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ManRam
Default

"What he said was actually right but I don't know where the hell he was when I started the damn thing and to tell you the truth I don't care," Westhoff said.

OK, sooooo why is this a story then? He cracked me up on that show though, I'll give that to him.
jhat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,608
Default

.....if you guys saw Hardnocks you understand better. He's just an old crabby SOB
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
ScottXray
Opinionated A******
 
ScottXray's Avatar
 
We will NOT lose!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: PDX (Portland OR)
Posts: 5,252

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER
Default

He "invented" the on-side kick? Just how old is that codger then?

Maybe he and Al Gore should compare notes, then decide which of them invented the light bulb. After all, Edison isn't around to dispute them.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray View Post
He "invented" the on-side kick? Just how old is that codger then?

Maybe he and Al Gore should compare notes, then decide which of them invented the light bulb. After all, Edison isn't around to dispute them.
he's probably old enough

bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer
 
rbackfactory80's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 4,542
Default

I love Westhoff, would love to see him on our sidelines.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
I love Westhoff, would love to see him on our sidelines.
on Hardnocks, I thought he was more entertaining than Rex Ryan
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
ScottXray
Opinionated A******
 
ScottXray's Avatar
 
We will NOT lose!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: PDX (Portland OR)
Posts: 5,252

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
he's probably old enough

Nope...
I remember the first game of (i think) 1975. Broncos had Pitt at Mile high for the opener. Pitt was defending SB champs.

Broncos lost the toss and had to kick off. Opened the game with an on side kick that worked. Denver went up 7-0.

The next kickoff Denver did it again. Again it worked, and Broncos went up 14-0. Eventually the game went into OT, 35-35 (the very FIRST regular season OT game ever played) and ended there, as neither team could score in OT.

The point is that our D-coord at the time (Joe Collier) knew how to prepare for On-side kicks back then. We also knew how to execute them. That was 35 years ago, so this guy would be maybe 30 then? perhaps a year or two more. He probably wasn't even with an NFL team as a coach. but he invented the Onside kick? BWAHAHAHA. BS artist.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #11
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray View Post
Nope...
I remember the first game of (i think) 1975. Broncos had Pitt at Mile high for the opener. Pitt was defending SB champs.

Broncos lost the toss and had to kick off. Opened the game with an on side kick that worked. Denver went up 7-0.

The next kickoff Denver did it again. Again it worked, and Broncos went up 14-0. Eventually the game went into OT, 35-35 (the very FIRST regular season OT game ever played) and ended there, as neither team could score in OT.

The point is that our D-coord at the time (Joe Collier) knew how to prepare for On-side kicks back then. We also knew how to execute them. That was 35 years ago, so this guy would be maybe 30 then? perhaps a year or two more. He probably wasn't even with an NFL team as a coach. but he invented the Onside kick? BWAHAHAHA. BS artist.
damn...you're old too
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #12
ScottXray
Opinionated A******
 
ScottXray's Avatar
 
We will NOT lose!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: PDX (Portland OR)
Posts: 5,252

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
damn...you're old too
Yep....I was AT that game. And I was about 26 (birthday later that year.

Last Sunday was my birthday. The Raiders gave me me a gift...they didn't QUITE put up as many points as my age.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #13
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray View Post
Last Sunday was my birthday. The Raiders gave me me a gift...they didn't QUITE put up as many points as my age.
that sucks.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #14
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer
 
rbackfactory80's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 4,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
on Hardnocks, I thought he was more entertaining than Rex Ryan
Especially his non-stop criticism of Clowney.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #15
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,469

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray View Post
Yep....I was AT that game. And I was about 26 (birthday later that year.

Last Sunday was my birthday. The Raiders gave me me a gift...they didn't QUITE put up as many points as my age.

Happy Belated Birthday.

Sorry about the timing of the game - hell of a present. Ouch!
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #16
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
Especially his non-stop criticism of Clowney.
"You head right for the bus if that happens Saturday night, right for the bus! YOU, I'd promise you I'd cut you right on the ****in' field!"

bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:58 PM.


Denver Broncos