The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Did Bowlen put too much on McDaniels' shoulders?
Yes, should have let him concentrate on co0aching alone c 53 71.62%
No, Josh can handle the added pressure 21 28.38%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default Did Bowlen screw this up?

First time head coach, on any level. But instead of concentrating his attentions exclusively on the on-field product, Josh has done the drafting and made the trades, and their (mostly) negative results is a lot for him to carry, a lot of added pressure.

As I've said from Day One, it's not fair to Josh ... Bowlen let him down by not stepping up and hiring an experienced GM, and now the hot seat is that much hotter.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

I think initially he should have hired a GM before making any other hires. I am hoping Josh "steps back" a bit so to speak as far as front office moves and focuses on coaching. It's nothing against McD, but he all ready has enough on his plate without trying to run our entire off season as well.
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobie View Post
I think initially he should have hired a GM before making any other hires. I am hoping Josh "steps back" a bit so to speak as far as front office moves and focuses on coaching. It's nothing against McD, but he all ready has enough on his plate without trying to run our entire off season as well.
The problem is, Xanders is not that type of GM.
Personnel evaluation is not Xander's forte.
He's more like a salary cap and contract structure negotiator guru...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Ed. Reed.
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

It probably would have been better if Bowlen hired a real GM because a) that's what he promised fans and b) it would have allowed Josh to focus more on coaching.

However, it does not appear that our problems mainly stem from huge personnel mistakes (well...let me qualify that, at least not from the FA acquisition perspective). The Josh record on acquiring FA's is a positive one, on the whole. The general tenor of our FA acquisitions have been proven veterans that come either relatively cheaply, or have moderately expensive contracts but for only a limited amount of years to insure against the risk. The veterans we've brought in that fit one of these two situations have been generally successful (Dawkins, Hill, Goodman, A. Davis last year, Fields last year, Lloyd, Gaffney etc.). They did spend a bit more money on the DL with this general strategy this year and the results were not as desired, but they haven't been terrible acquisitions outside of Green (Bannan is solid, J. Williams is serviceable if he's used on a limited basis) and as noted earlier, the deals are short to make up for the slightly higher salaries.

With regard to drafting, their record is still too early to assess. Like most teams, they've had hits and misses. Obviously, Smith is the big sore thumb that sticks out and Moreno is still a question mark. It will take a few years to assess how well they're doing in that area, since they've basically forced alot of these kids to start or at least substantially contribute probably before they are ready to. This is obviously seen most clearly on the OL. Ayers is probably their best pick so far and Thomas has already demonstrated massive ability, as well. The real problem from a GM'ing perspective is their general draft strategy. They don't value draft picks and have a "fly by the seat of your pants" draft strategy. There's no long term vision, here. There is no belief that you build through the draft. They burn picks left and right to bring in NE scrubs and to satisfy hard-ons for their most desired targets. It's been noted that they've drafted 9 guys each time the last two years, but that's deceptive in a way. They've only been able to do that because they're constantly leveraging future picks to get more picks now when they realize "oh ****, we need to get something on Day 2 because now we don't have but one or two picks". They've done that a few times now and its not a positive trend. Eventually you will bleed your future stable of picks dry and will really kill some future drafts that way. You can't always keep leveraging away picks and value this way before it kills you and it will kill you. The apparent insistence on getting their top guy at any cost is also foolhardy. This is where an independent and experienced GM would have helped the most. Josh needs to recognize that you cannot seriously go about drafting in the NFL if you only have draft boards of 100 guys and you are willing to do whatever it takes to get your absolute favorites. That's not how it works. You need to create a real board with alternative choices and be willing to settle for the alternative choices when things don't play out the way you thought. You DON'T turn the whole thing upside down just to ensure you get your top choice. That's very short sighted. It's an approach that doesn't respect the idea of quantity. Quantity is almost ALWAYS the best approach in the draft.

It's difficult to know whether an independent GM would have traded away the high profile guys we had. On one hand, each individual instance has its own unique facts. For instance, with Scheffler, it's more a system issue, and that's possibly the case with Hillis as well. An independent GM may well have concluded that if they simply weren't playing at all, it would make sense to move them for some value, although one could also argue an independent GM would have leaned on the coaches to find a way to utilize talented players that maybe weren't perfect fits for the system. An independent GM probably would have handled the crisis situations with Marshall and Cutler better, since most teams usually have disgruntled player issues that do not always result in getting rid of said players.

I do blame Bowlen for most of this, though. He represented to the fan base that this arrangement wouldn't be the case and he backed off on that. He's created alot of problems for this organization and certainly does not make it easier for his coaches. It would be better if he thought for himself rather than having shadowy figures like Joe Ellis constantly whispering in his ear. It's also embarassing to see him complain about mediocre results when he spent most of the past decade right around (or slightly below) the league average in dollars spent. It's also not helpful when you do things like make an about face and pull the plug on contract dicussions with your premier player in midstream. It creates an awkward situation for your coach when the rug is pulled out from underneath him and it doesn't engender good faith on the player end. I don't like Bowlen....at least not in his current form.

Go Canes!

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 10-28-2010 at 12:08 AM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Fantastic post, Socal.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:40 PM   #7
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

SoCal,

Nice post. Agree with some, not with all... but very well put together.

I will just note on the Bailey discussions... we don't know what went on. Something may have some up from a labor perspective that spooked the front office, or... maybe Champ's demands were such that we couldn't go forward with the uncertainty looming.

Keep in mind, this is the same owner that just locked up our best defensive player with a massive contract. So, I'm not sure we can criticize them on the Bailey thing without full info of why talks stalled.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
SoCal,

I will just note on the Bailey discussions... we don't know what went on. Something may have some up from a labor perspective that spooked the front office, or... maybe Champ's demands were such that we couldn't go forward with the uncertainty looming.

Keep in mind, this is the same owner that just locked up our best defensive player with a massive contract. So, I'm not sure we can criticize them on the Bailey thing without full info of why talks stalled.
I hear ya on the Bailey thing....its certainly strange and I agree that we don't have a full picture of it. I realize that since Bowlen paid out alot to Dumervil and Kuper this offseason, he may be reluctant to wrap up a third big contract in one offseason with the labor issues looming, although if that were the rationale, it would seem more likely that he simply wouldn't allow them to engage in negotiations at all from the outset (after the other two contracts were done) rather than letting them get close but cutting it off at the last hour. It's correct for you to say we dont know what happened there, but it did put the staff in an awkward spot and Champ did make some harsh comments as a result. It could have been handled by Bowlen better in any case and as I've noted above, that incident is certainly far from the only problem I have with him.

Go Canes!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:56 PM   #9
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
The real problem from a GM'ing perspective is their general draft strategy. They don't value draft picks and have a "fly by the seat of your pants" draft strategy. There's no long term vision, here. There is no belief that you build through the draft. They burn picks left and right to bring in NE scrubs and to satisfy hard-ons for their most desired targets.
SoCal...why do you suppose Josh takes this approach when it's completely backwards from what he learned under Belichick? If the Pats are anything, they are shrewd manipulators of the draft process and completely committed to building through the draft as opposed to what we're seeing done here.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:58 PM   #10
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
SoCal,

Bailey accepted the Broncos offer, then it was yanked. It wasn't because his demands were outrageous. Champ wanted to be a Bronco for the rest of his career. It was poor form of the Broncos Brass, I am looking at you Joe Ellis, to pull the offer and essentially give the middle finger to Champ and in the process makes Josh looks bad.

This almost comparable to the Cutler situation, except that Champ is handling it like a professional. Though I have to believe he doesn't like how negotiations have been ongoing for 3 years and to have an offer that he agreed upon, to be pulled. Given all that, Joe Ellis needs to be removed.

Now, I would like to see John Elway return in a bigger and more hands on role and take over the Football Operations side of things. I don't know about his ability to become owner of the Broncos, with that whole Kaiser thing looming over Bowlen's ability to sell.

Back to Elway, he needs to step in as VP or even President of Football operations. Similar to the type of role that Bill Parcells is/was under the Miami Dolphins. We need better leadership at the very top, and who better than Elway?

24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:02 AM   #11
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
SoCal...why do you suppose Josh takes this approach when it's completely backwards from what he learned under Belichick? If the Pats are anything, they are shrewd manipulators of the draft process and completely committed to building through the draft as opposed to what we're seeing done here.
Good question, Footsteps. I really don't know why he does that. It would logically follow that he would follow what they're doing on that front too since he likes to follow the NE way in general. I really don't know why he's taken a different approach. Certainly, he's free to do what he feels is best, but as much as I sometimes despise the over-glorification of "the NE way", this would have been the one area where it would be great to just follow their general theory of trading their replaceables for picks and generally taking advantage of other people on draft day when they are willing to part with alot just to move up.

Go Canes!
Old 10-28-2010, 12:12 AM   #12
Drek
Ring of Famer

I'd argue that McDaniels' front office moves have been the strongest thing about his time here.

The only real mistakes he made was drafting Smith (and giving up on him too soon, but that was more of a roster crunch problem. Long term I'll take Squid and Vaughn) and Quinn, along with signing Jarvis Green.

Meanwhile he got Moreno who looked solid his rookie year and despite playing with injuries this season has looked leagues ahead of the rest of our backs. People often forget that Maroney, in this same system, looked like a passable primary back in New England. Here he has a hard time getting two yards a touch. Kinda puts Moreno's 14 carry, 50-something yard games in perspective doesn't it?

Ayers has come along very well in his second year. Beadles and Walton are already contributing, though with some rookie struggles. He's done very well on three young CB acquisitions after the mistake of trading a 1st for a 2nd to grab Smith. McBath has looked like a gamer when healthy and Bruton has been a STs ace while also showing a little potential for moving into a starting role down the road. Bey Bey looks like an electric play maker. If pre-season is anything to go by Decker also looks like a very good move. Obviously opinions can go either way on the Tebow move and that is something we'll have to wait and see on.

In free agency he's hit big with veterans like Dawkins, Goodman, Lloyd, and Gaffney. Is DL acquisitions aren't setting the world on fire but are an obvious upgrade over what we had last year.

From a trades standpoint he's generally been on the winning side. We gave up a 5th for Hochstein and LeKevin Smith. Hochstein has more than earned that price tag as our super sub OL, despite Smith not contributing. Marshall for two 2nds (on what will likely be a sub <.500 Dolphins team) is looking like a very strong move given the play he's gotten out of the rest of our WR corps. Hillis and conditional late round picks for Quinn was a solid move at the time, especially considering Hillis' desire to not be here coupled with his inability to learn the offense all last season. A late round pick for Joe Mays isn't looking like a bad move at this point either. The Cutler deal continues to look like a master stroke, given the massive return and that the root problem was quite obviously about money. How would we be feeling now if McDaniels had forked over a $30M extension to Cutler, guaranteeing the fat years of his rookie deal by proxy, and Jay played like he has for Chicago the last two years?

Obviously trading a future 1st for a 2nd was not a good move but at least when we had to give up on the guy taken with that pick he turned it into someone who is now contributing to the team. The Quinn deal was a equitable trade to get back into the second round. Swapping a future 5th for two 7ths in a deep draft is a worthwhile double down move last year on his part, and looks to have paid off with Thompson's play.

Then you're left with the Maroney trade, where we swapped a 4th for Maroney and a 6th. I'd still call that pretty fair value, even if Maroney hasn't played as well as we'd like. Obviously that deal never happens if Lendale White doesn't have his season ended in a pre-season game.

The last aspect of a front office person is their waiver wire acquisitions. Last year we didn't muck with the waiver wire too much. This year we've been active (due to injuries) and have found two very nice role players in Hunter and Vickerson. Can't fault that, most teams have a hard time finding even one worthwhile backup off the wire.

My biggest concern with McDaniels' work to date is his staffing decisions. I really like picking up Studesville to coach the RBs and most of the defensive assistants are very good. But obviously there is concern about if Martindale was ready to step up to a DC job, and the OL staff has now had enough time where we'd like to see some form of improvement.

This is where a more experienced football guy might have come in useful. I would bet that McDaniels' biggest problem with staffing is a lack of connections. He hired Nolan largely because he had a tie to him since they share the same agent. Its clear he just hasn't been in the NFL long enough and networked enough to have a very deep pool to draw from.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:22 AM   #13
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Disagree, SoCal, almost all around. Hits and misses in the draft ... I'm kind of blanking on the hits? You say Ayers and Thomas, imo too early to judge either, really, especially Thomas. But listing those two thusfar marginal (at best) contributors as 'hits' is nothing short of damning with faint praise. Compared to the guy that was canned to make room for Josh and Xanders, these drafts were abysmal. Not fair to compare them to Jim Goodman, whose record remains nearly flawless to this day, but in just three drafts Jim hit on 5th and 7th rounds RBs who are now feature backs. Elsewhere.

What about Seth Olsen? Alphonso? Quinn? Knowshon? Brandstater? And Blake Schleuter, who was cut before the first preseason game? That draft was a flop, no other way to see it. Especially given five picks in the first two rounds.

BUT THAT'S NOT MY POINT! My point is not so much whether moves have been good or bad, but that Josh is saddled with the pressure of his moves in addition to the onfield product. Remember he's he's never had any personnel or head coaching experience before. And the pressure on him with the Cutler and BMarsh situations was huge, far, far more than he deserved. That stuff diverts his attention ... and if the Post article is right and he's putting too much pressure on the players, after the Jets game anyway, how much of that is spillover from these other problems? And from what internally might be growing problems with Knowshon and Quinn?
Old 10-28-2010, 12:29 AM   #14
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I'd argue that McDaniels' front office moves have been the strongest thing about his time here.
Wow, can't imagine disagreeing more.

Imo his strongest accomplishment here is the amazing output in the passing game, despite borderline journeyman talent and no running game. He's proven his offensive boy-genius tag in spades. Which makes my point even further: he should be building on that success instead of answering questions and feeling pressure about Alfonso and Hillis and whomever else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek
People often forget that Maroney, in this same system, looked like a passable primary back in New England. Here he has a hard time getting two yards a touch. Kinda puts Moreno's 14 carry, 50-something yard games in perspective doesn't it?
That's a very good point ... most all of us should consider re-thinking Knowshon.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:10 AM   #15
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
What about Seth Olsen? Alphonso? Quinn? Knowshon? Brandstater? And Blake Schleuter, who was cut before the first preseason game? That draft was a flop, no other way to see it. Especially given five picks in the first two rounds.
Knowshon is a solid pick at worst, with flashes of being a game changer if we can ever give him an OL to work with and get him through a pre-season healthy.

You're also discounting Ayers, McBath, and Bruton in this critique. Fact is after the third round the draft goes from a 50/50 proposition to a full on crap shoot. Over his first five picks he hit on what looks to be three good players for us. He then actually pulled a solid contributor out of the 4th-7th rounds with Bruton. A 7th rounder like Schleuter not even making it to pre-season is nothing surprising, nor is a 5th round QB getting dropped when you add a 1st round QBOTF type guy the next year. Same with Olsen, his job was far from guaranteed as soon as we drafted three OL who all offered more versatility and better draft pedigree than he did the very next year.

Quinn isn't working out, which sucks. He had to cut bait on Smith likely before he wanted to because Smith didn't work hard enough his rookie year and then in camp we had Vaughn and Thompson come on strong after his job. The worthwhile thing to note though is that he turned Smith into a TE who fills the role that Quinn is leaving vacant. Its a ****ty way to go about getting our long term TE, but its better than what a lot of teams do in this scenario (cut both of the disappointments, burn more draft picks trying to fill both holes).

Quote:
BUT THAT'S NOT MY POINT! My point is not so much whether moves have been good or bad, but that Josh is saddled with the pressure of his moves in addition to the onfield product. Remember he's he's never had any personnel or head coaching experience before. And the pressure on him with the Cutler and BMarsh situations was huge, far, far more than he deserved. That stuff diverts his attention ... and if the Post article is right and he's putting too much pressure on the players, after the Jets game anyway, how much of that is spillover from these other problems? And from what internally might be growing problems with Knowshon and Quinn?
Can anyone really gauge how much pressure he feels and how he's handling it?

I got to be honest. If McDaniels didn't tear into the team after how they lost to the Jets I'd be really damn disappointed. He and Martindale DESTROYED Schottenheimer and Ryan from a gameplan/coaching perspective. Our guys just completely failed to execute. Even still we had the game well within our grasp until we caved and handed it over with a late penalty on what should have been a game winning defensive stop.

Much like the Colts game McDaniels put the players in position to win the game, showed them that he had faith in their ability to win the game, and they rewarded him by not getting the job done. That right now obviously has to be the single biggest source of distress on McDaniels. The complete lack of a killer instinct from both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball.

We as Broncos fans though should be getting used to it. This team hasn't had a killer instinct since 2005 and that was only a brief flash. Before that you've got to go back to the Elway years.

And here we come full circle on the FO moves McDaniels has made and we see why he's drafted Tim Tebow. No matter what your take is on Tebow's passing technique or ability to read defenses Tebow displayed the killer instinct of a 20' great white surrounded by bleeding seals all through college. You can't teach that. McDaniels knows this because he saw that killer instinct in Brady then tried to teach it to Cassel and now Orton to no avail.

Its all up in the air at this point but I personally view the 2010 draft as a front office masterwork that easily outstrips anything Shanahan and the Goodmans achieved. McDaniels turned a disparate collection of picks into the exact positions he needed to hit on his primary targets, then grabbed great value throughout the rest of the draft. Our '08 and '06 drafts were just grabbing BPA and getting some real good breaks. We didn't jockey for position to grab the guys we actually knew could be play makers and didn't want to miss out on. That shows a far greater insight into what your team needs and how other teams are valuing those players, the real heart of great drafting.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:08 AM   #16
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Drek nailed it IMO.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:12 AM   #17
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Moreno has been serviceable in my opinion. Serviceable is what you expect from a 2 to 3rd round pick his first few years. I know some would argue that behind our line, the second coming of Barry Sanders couldn't even put up more than 2 yards a carry. Fair enough assessment. But that means we completely wasted a first round pick on a running back when we didn't have an Offensive Line in place for him. That is the kind of move that bad teams make.

And personally, I will never be able to get behind the Moreno pick when Brian Orakpo was still on the board. I still remember that once we passed on him, the Redskins couldn't get to the table fast enough with their pick to snatch him. I fear that within the next few years we are going to be complaining as bitterly about him and many already complain about passing on Ed Reed.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:14 AM   #18
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

It's a painful year, but it's way to early to throw Josh under the bus.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:17 AM   #19
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Moreno has been serviceable in my opinion. Serviceable is what you expect from a 2 to 3rd round pick his first few years. I know some would argue that behind our line, the second coming of Barry Sanders couldn't even put up more than 2 yards a carry. Fair enough assessment. But that means we completely wasted a first round pick on a running back when we didn't have an Offensive Line in place for him. That is the kind of move that bad teams make.
All that would be true except last year in his rookie season he led all rookie RBs in yardage and played well when we have Dennison. This is CLEARLY not on the RBs but the effing linemen who have been hurt and are going through a scheme change because our top notch O-line coach left.
Quote:
And personally, I will never be able to get behind the Moreno pick when Brian Orakpo was still on the board. I still remember that once we passed on him, the Redskins couldn't get to the table fast enough with their pick to snatch him. I fear that within the next few years we are going to be complaining as bitterly about him and many already complain about passing on Ed Reed.
I was not on board for the Moreno pick either wanting to go defense, but the flipside of that coin is we had no one we could rely on as a featured back at the time. Even had we not traded Hillis, dude is always injured and we would be in the same position anyway.

Orakpo would have been a nice pick, but we still would have needed a RB in our backfield and of that draft class, few stood out.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:18 AM   #20
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Bailey accepted the Broncos offer, then it was yanked. It wasn't because his demands were outrageous. Champ wanted to be a Bronco for the rest of his career. It was poor form of the Broncos Brass, I am looking at you Joe Ellis, to pull the offer and essentially give the middle finger to Champ and in the process makes Josh looks bad.
That's not true. Sorry, it's just not.

He has repeatedly said that he was "ready to" accept the offer, and then the offer was taken off the table. Not nearly the same thing.

But carry on.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:34 AM   #21
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Drek nailed it IMO.
Really? "The 2010 draft as a front office masterwork that easily outstrips anything Shanahan and the Goodmans achieved."

Wow. In the first place it's way too early for that, and in the second place Brandon Marshall, Elvis Dumervil, Domenik Hixon and Chris Kuper would disagree (that being the tail end of '06). As would the back half of '08, Spencer Larsen, Josh Barrett and especially Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis, both of whom are feature backs elsewhere.

I do think Josh and Brian maneuvered pretty good on draft day, trading in and out of slots, but there's still lots of questions there, not the least if which is Tebow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HombreGuapo View Post
It's a painful year, but it's way to early to throw Josh under the bus.
That's not what I'm doing ... again, MY POINT: the headlines regarding Josh should be, "McDaniels offense puts up huge passing numbers despite average talent, two rookies on the O-line and no running game." "McDaniels has journeyman Brandon Lloyd on top the league in receiving while Kyle Orton continues to put up pinball numbers." Can't argue that kind of pub would make things a lot easier on him, ease the pressure. But instead the weight of Alfonso, Hillis and others are on his shoulders, not to mention Kenny McKinley, that can't be easy.

Josh deserved better, he deserved to be slowly eased into these huge responsibilities. Instead he had the weight of the franchise thrown on his back, it seemed like Bowlen just floated off or something. I've said all this since Day 1 ... and to be honest it's not looking good right now. I think his epitaph, if there is one, will be what I'm saying here, too much responsibility and pressure, too early. We'll see I guess.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:42 AM   #22
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
All that would be true except last year in his rookie season he led all rookie RBs in yardage and played well when we have Dennison. This is CLEARLY not on the RBs but the effing linemen who have been hurt and are going through a scheme change because our top notch O-line coach left.

I was not on board for the Moreno pick either wanting to go defense, but the flipside of that coin is we had no one we could rely on as a featured back at the time. Even had we not traded Hillis, dude is always injured and we would be in the same position anyway.

Orakpo would have been a nice pick, but we still would have needed a RB in our backfield and of that draft class, few stood out.
Leading a Rookie RB class that featured the likes of Beanie Wells and LeSean McCoy doesn't really impress me. He was 16th in the league with 947 yards rushing and 21st in the league with a pedestrian 3.8 yards per carry. For the feature back, that is the definition of serviceable. And with the decrease in his production in 2010 (blame whoever you want, the line coach, the Offensive Line, injuries, ect) the pick serves us even less.

I know that McDaniels was not going to use Hillis and we would have needed some help at running back. But Shonn Greene was still available in the 3rd round. There were options in later rounds for backs that would have filled our needs. And especially since McDaniels knew he would be transitioning the blocking scheme, spending a first round draft pick on a Running Back when the team had so many other glaring needs just doesn't make sense to me.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:04 AM   #23
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I voted yes. I think McDaniels is a good coach. My problem with him has always been with the GM side of things. It is why I don't doubt that he will be much better at his next stop. He most likely won't have any extra power then.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:34 AM   #24
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Its all up in the air at this point but I personally view the 2010 draft as a front office masterwork that easily outstrips anything Shanahan and the Goodmans achieved. McDaniels turned a disparate collection of picks into the exact positions he needed to hit on his primary targets, then grabbed great value throughout the rest of the draft. Our '08 and '06 drafts were just grabbing BPA and getting some real good breaks. We didn't jockey for position to grab the guys we actually knew could be play makers and didn't want to miss out on. That shows a far greater insight into what your team needs and how other teams are valuing those players, the real heart of great drafting.
Homer much. Shanny manipulated the '06 draft trading down twice once in '05 and again in '06 and back up twice in '06 to aquire his QB and then trading for a WR in Walker with one of those picks he traded down for. How is that any difference he what McD did to get Thomas and Tebow. Seems similar to me.

The '06 draft was not a crap shoot and he manipulated it to get into a position to draft the QB he wanted. This was all done in the cloak of secrectcy. This same draft choices that McD used to aquire 2 1st and 2 2nds

Trading days before the draft and having the draft turn out the way you predicted shows alot more to me then hoping a team will trade with you in that 10 minute period on draft day. And the whole draft process is always about good breaks. You cannot just trade down unless there is someone willing to trade up. That is a good break in any draft.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:55 AM   #25
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

That's a very good point ... most all of us should consider re-thinking Knowshon.
Posters who believe Knowshon is a bad back are incredibly uninformed.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote