The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
Popps
It's so easy

Default McDaniels Wednesday Press Conference...

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multime...2-ec96882ac78d

Nothing earth shattering, but fairly candid and a few interesting tidbits.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
Popps
It's so easy

Obviously pre-practice injury.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

I can't help but like the guy.

Come on Josh, turn this thing around. Make us proud!
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Whatever he may lack as a coach and getting this team going, you can't deny he is passionate and wants nothing more to win. I like him, and wish him the best as i'd like to see someone with a personality like that succeed(similarly to Tebowski)
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaK-Argentina View Post
I can't help but like the guy.

Come on Josh, turn this thing around. Make us proud!
So funny, I was just thinking the same thing. People seem to either really like or really hate this guy. I mean, I think the guy would chop off his own fingers one at a time if it meant a win for the Broncos when he did.

I think what I like about his conferences is that he actually says something. Kaylore is right, they're always actually worth watching.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I think the guy would chop off his own fingers one at a time if it meant a win for the Broncos
That's the thing. Forget about his background, where he comes from (I know a lot of people hate him just for being an ex Patriot)... he's a Broncos now and he'd kill to get this team to the Superbowl. I can obviously respect that and I wish him the very best. I'd love nothing more than to see him get through all this crap and come through for us.

I still support him... even though I was extremely pissed sunday.

Go Josh, Go Broncos!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
http://www.denverbroncos.com/multime...2-ec96882ac78d

Nothing earth shattering, but fairly candid and a few interesting tidbits.
Just a question for you out of the blue, nothing related to the topic at hand.

When will you start to demand real results from this guy? What year, in your mind, should this guy make us Super Bowl competitive?

1 more question since it just popped into my mind.

Are you angry at this coach that under this coach we have now become a national joke?
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post

When will you start to demand real results from this guy? What year, in your mind, should this guy make us Super Bowl competitive?

Are you angry at this coach that under this coach we have now become a national joke?
We've been a national joke, and haven't been taken seriously by the media ever since we lost the 2005 AFC championship game.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post

First off, I'm not concerned what other team's fans think of us. By nature, they are designed to dislike us anyway.

As for McD, I think the perception here is that I'm some kind of apologist for him. Thats cool. People need a villain during bad times so if they want it to be me, no skin off my back (Despite it being built on a false premise.)

You may or may not remember me defending Shanny around these parts long before he was let go. I was one of his biggest supporters here, even when things were rough. It was only at the very end that it became obvious it was best for both parties to move on.

Point being, I'm just not a reactionary guy when it comes to things like this. Building a winner takes time. Now, if MCD had a full, healthy squad out there and we had the same record, I'd be more worried. But, the fact is we are in a rebuilding process and we've been decimated by injuries. Shanahan couldn't win under those circumstances either.

I expected a healthy team to go around .500 this year, maybe 9-7. So, when we started losing key players, I buckled in for a long season. So, the Raider meltdown aside, struggling this year hasn't surprised me.

This whole argument is based on two things: Patience and Preconceived notions. I have patience and I didn't have a built-in hatred for our next head coach like many here.

Yes, we are struggling. But, we've seen this team play well at times, too. It often looks like a team on the verge of making real progress. I also just happen to think Bowlen made a good choice and hired a great football mind.
But, there are no guarantees in the NFL and I could be wrong. McDaniels may simply not be able to cut it as a head coach. A lot of guys can't. We shall see.

As for a timeline? You have to give a coach 2-3 years to put it all in place, potentially more if dealing with injuries, etc. Now, if disasters like Sunday continue, well... then I'll be revising my timeline, of course.

Overall, I'm just a little more patient with what I believe was a good hiring. I'm not McD'a cheering section. I just want to give the situation proper time and effort before giving up. I'm guessing Bowlen will see it the same. We shall see.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:23 PM   #10
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

As a Josh supporter, he needs to have this team in the playoffs next year. Simple as that. I assume there will be no catastrophic injuries like this year and enter year 3 of his system with plenty of time to have rookies producing. Even if it is 9 and 7, if we make the playoffs, then we are moving in a positive direction. I would feel better of at least a 10 win season so it is looking closer to a SB appearance then a one and done year of playoffs. He does great pressers but he pisses me off too many times this year. UGH!
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:28 PM   #11
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
We've been a national joke, and haven't been taken seriously by the media ever since we lost the 2005 AFC championship game.
Lolwut?

Have ANY examples of that?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:28 PM   #12
enjolras
Ring of Famer

It's patience that is in incredibly short supply. It's not just Denver.. I blame the Internet. Message boards like this just breed fans with off the charts entitlement. It just is. It's why I've been spending precious little time here...
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:30 PM   #13
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
It's patience that is in incredibly short supply. It's not just Denver.. I blame the Internet. Message boards like this just breed fans with off the charts entitlement. It just is. It's why I've been spending precious little time here...
Red...........
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #14
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
First off, I'm not concerned what other team's fans think of us. By nature, they are designed to dislike us anyway.

As for McD, I think the perception here is that I'm some kind of apologist for him. Thats cool. People need a villain during bad times so if they want it to be me, no skin off my back (Despite it being built on a false premise.)

You may or may not remember me defending Shanny around these parts long before he was let go. I was one of his biggest supporters here, even when things were rough. It was only at the very end that it became obvious it was best for both parties to move on.

Point being, I'm just not a reactionary guy when it comes to things like this. Building a winner takes time. Now, if MCD had a full, healthy squad out there and we had the same record, I'd be more worried. But, the fact is we are in a rebuilding process and we've been decimated by injuries. Shanahan couldn't win under those circumstances either.

I expected a healthy team to go around .500 this year, maybe 9-7. So, when we started losing key players, I buckled in for a long season. So, the Raider meltdown aside, struggling this year hasn't surprised me.

This whole argument is based on two things: Patience and Preconceived notions. I have patience and I didn't have a built-in hatred for our next head coach like many here.

Yes, we are struggling. But, we've seen this team play well at times, too. It often looks like a team on the verge of making real progress. I also just happen to think Bowlen made a good choice and hired a great football mind.
But, there are no guarantees in the NFL and I could be wrong. McDaniels may simply not be able to cut it as a head coach. A lot of guys can't. We shall see.

As for a timeline? You have to give a coach 2-3 years to put it all in place, potentially more if dealing with injuries, etc. Now, if disasters like Sunday continue, well... then I'll be revising my timeline, of course.

Overall, I'm just a little more patient with what I believe was a good hiring. I'm not McD'a cheering section. I just want to give the situation proper time and effort before giving up. I'm guessing Bowlen will see it the same. We shall see.
Excellent post Popps

Co Sign
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:33 AM   #15
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Excellent post Popps

Co Sign
Same here.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #16
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:

OK. Well, my stance is, this guy did not inherit the Chiefs, Raiders, 49ers, Browns, or Lions. He inherited a team that was 8-8, 1 win away from the playoffs, with several (at the time) good pieces on one side of the ball, and just a few very good pieces on the defensive side of the ball. The rest of it was junk.

If he felt he needed to rebuild, OK. But he didn't. He said "judge me on wins," not "judge the way I build this team over a period of 3 years, if we get lucky with injuries." That kind of confidence, bravado, call it what you will. That kind of talk breeds impatience with the fans. It breeds impatience with me.

However, even if we give him a pass on that statement, and accept the rebuild theory, the overwhelming majority of the moves made to try to achieve that rebuild appear to have been a damn failure. And even if we give him a pass on getting rid of Cutler/Marshall/Scheffler, look at the damn mistakes made. The entire 2009 draft, possible exception Ayers, which is unforgivable. I tell you, picking Moreno over Orakpo was about as stupid as taking Maddox over Pickens. And you CANNOT do that and expect the rebuild to bear fruit smoothly, quickly, and with the least pain possible.

The freaking trade that gave us Alphonso Smith, who we gave up on, you CANNOT DO THAT!!!

Richard Quinn.

With the exception of 1 pick, ignoring the front 7 and completely ignoring the defensive line in the draft is the cause of our current defense.

Now I like Tebow. I'm excited about him, and what he can become. But his value was not that high. We badly reached for him. And trading a 2,3, and 4, when we have so many holes for a project QB that probably won't bear any fruit for 2 or 3 years is a BAD DECISION!

2 of those 3 picks very well could have given us some nice depth IN CASE we get hit with injuries.

And on the field and in the record books we have not been this bad since 1999. And even then there were only 2 games where we lost by more than 1 score, and our worst loss was by 17 points. And I don't think this year we have come close to the injury situation we had in 1999.

Popps, you have to look at this situation rationally here. The way we have been going is not a way to build a team. Its how a team goes into regression man. Bad personnel decisions are how a team goes into a funk that the bottomfeeders of the league have been in the last decade. And I say that while I (gladly) eat my crow about the Cutler-Orton trade.

All I'm saying is, one way or another, looking forward, this team has to change its approach. And I think there should be a football guy, a real GM, that has a working relationship with McDaniels that makes the final call on personnel decisions. Because we are gong down a lot faster than we are going up.

And I'm sorry, but when you look at the product we have on the field, with all the personnel moves we've made, if you think this team is headed in the right direction you need your head examined. And if the organization keeps making the kind of personnel decisions they have made, we are going to perennial bottom feeders.

I want to have confidence in Dove Valley but I, just like most Broncos fans, don't. And I hate this ****, its like torture.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:51 AM   #17
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Let me also add this. We've had some nice hits with free agency. I will give him that that has been pretty much a positive. But a draft is how you build a team. The first 3 rounds are where you should build your foundation. And our failures there are freaking killing us right now. We absolutely have to get younger and better on defense, otherwise we are just spinning our wheels.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:08 AM   #18
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Even after the embarrassing loss to the raiders I continue to have faith in McDaniels. Just the week before the Broncos held off one of the top 5 teams in the league and lost in the closing 50 seconds. I expected a more favorable outcome vs the raiders but I'm sure all Bronco fans did.

It just appears too easy and convenient to give up on him the team and system. I just refuse to give in to that.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:49 AM   #19
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:

That part made me laugh.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #20
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:

I'm not a witch. I'm you.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:30 AM   #21
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HombreGuapo View Post
I'm not a witch. I'm you.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:01 AM   #22
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Is it just me or are we glossing over the shabby bed wetting games. In my opinion we have had the same team for 4years
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #23
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

U
Quote:

Perfectly said.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #24
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

where was the highligths of the conference?
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #25
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Historic, humiliating losses in our own house, especially those that set a new scoring record for our most hated rival, change my entire perspective. I backed Shanahan right up until he let the Raiders kick our ass in our own house, followed by the worst late season collapse in franchise history, and another ass kicking by the Chargers to close out the season. Hard fought losses I have no problem with. Total collapse and ass kickings is something else entirely. I was ready and willing to give Josh three years. Watching that ass kicking last week and seeing Josh on the sidelines, befuddled, unable, or unwilling, to respond, destroyed my faith in his abilities. To me it was a big flashing neon sign shouting "I'm not ready for this job!" Like any rookie, or second year player, it's time for him to take it to another level. Will he? I don't know. He's got a half season and five AFCW games to grab the reins and show he can handle it.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote