The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default Moving forward: 49ers

Despite the disaster of last week, we have an excellent opportunity to rebound and hit the bye week with some renewed confidence and optimism.

Unfortunately, this Niners team seems built to give us fits. On top of a physical rushing attack lead by Frank Gore, Vernon Davis has grown into a premier tight end and we haven't shown the ability to match up well with a tight end all season long (Colts game excluded - McBath is hurt).

On the other side of the ball, we rank 26th with 17 sacks allowed against a defense that ranks in the top half (Seattle and Oakland -after Sunday's performance- are the only statistically superior pass rushes we've played so far this season).

Fortunately, they're prone to cough up the ball with 16 giveaways in only 6 games. Unfortunately, the largest reason for that will be out with injury and replaced with Troy Smith, who let's not forget, was promising enough to have earned the starting job in Baltimore before sickness derailed his career.

The team feels a lot like a Jacksonville clone. They've stayed competitive with some good teams this year, and we'll have to be prepared for anything with Troy Smith under center and little to no game film on him. Let's hope Josh and the team hit this one with a renewed vigor after last week and avoid all of the potential pitfalls the 49ers provide.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Great thread. Gotta admit I lol'ed when I read the title. Somehow I don't believe moving on will be accomplished, at least this week.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
Great thread. Gotta admit I lol'ed when I read the title. Somehow I don't believe moving on will be accomplished, at least this week.
Great opportunity this week. If we win, we can at least be somewhat sated during the bye week.

If we lose... plenty of time to organize with pitch forks and torches.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!

We should win this game. Not sure it will make me feel much better but it should be a W and hopefully something to build on going into the bye. IF we lose.... I may go on a week long binge...
zdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

I commend you for this thread bro. I literally have no idea what to expect with it being the international game after that debacle...

San Fran have some of the best players in the league, that's for sure.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Good god, I can't imagine this place if we lose again.

I totally agree with the Jville analogy. The 49ers play a brand of "Boring Ball," that keeps them in games. There is a good amount of talent on that team. I really don't think there are any easy wins in the NFL anymore, which is why you have to bring your A game every single week.

SF is actually near the bottom of the league at moving the ball on the ground. They don't do much better through the air. Obviously this week, the running QB will be the issue. Tough to prepare for a guy we have no tape on. But, it is what it is.

On the upside, there's no way our players/staff are looking past this game, and probably any game, from here out.

We need Dawkins out on the field, badly.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Great opportunity this week. If we win, we can at least be somewhat sated during the bye week.

If we lose... plenty of time to organize with pitch forks and torches.
I have a feeling the internationals will see a close game this week. Who knows how orgasmic they will be when Prater boots a 60 yarder with the clock ticking down to zero.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

We need to establish the run to keep the ball out of Troy Smith's hands.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

LONDON -- With quarterback Alex Smith ruled out because of a separated shoulder, San Francisco 49ers head coach Mike Singletary is gambling on Troy Smith being able to turn his struggling team around.

Singletary said Wednesday the former Heisman Trophy winner will get his first NFL start in three years after Alex Smith was ruled out for 2 to 3 weeks with a separated left shoulder. The Niners play the Denver Broncos at London's Wembley Stadium on Sunday.

Singletary picked the former Ohio State standout ahead of David Carr, who came on against Carolina after Alex Smith was injured on Sunday but threw a costly late interception that led to the winning field goal for the Panthers.

"Troy Smith gives us a good opportunity to win this game," Singletary said. "I talked to David Carr about it. He understands. We had a couple of conversations about it. That's a personal thing between he and I, and I'm going to leave it there. Troy Smith is our starting quarterback."

With the Niners off to a 1-6 start, Singletary has little to lose by taking a gamble.

Troy Smith spent the last three years with Baltimore, where his only two starts came in the 2007 season as he struggled to live up to the hype from his college days. But the mobile quarterback, who could give San Francisco's offense extra options with his scrambling ability, said he wasn't surprised by Singletary's decision.

"The way that you prepare as a professional athlete, you have to be prepared when your number is called. And that's exactly where I'm at," he said.

The Niners have a bye following the game at Wembley, giving Alex Smith a chance to heal before San Francisco faces the St. Louis Rams on Nov. 14. He was tackled from the blind side by Carolina's Charles Johnson, driving his shoulder into the turf. He arrived in London on Monday -- along with the rest of the team -- and spent the morning at the hospital, still with his non-throwing arm in a sling.

Singletary said Troy Smith had never taken first-team snaps in practice with the Niners before this week, but that he's catching on quickly.

"He's been studying since we got here, and has been getting with the coaches as much as he possibly could," Singletary said. "He has enough of the offense to play."

Troy Smith said he was told "a couple of days ago" that he would start and would "continue to prepare like a madman" for the rest of the week.

"I think the easiest way to get through to your teammates that you're serious about what's going on is to know exactly what your job is, know exactly what everyone expects from you and go out and execute," Troy Smith said. "At the same time you have to respect your boundaries. I believe in not stepping on anybody's toes, I believe in getting in where you fit in."

While the quarterback will be leading a new team in completely new surroundings -- in front of about 85,000 British fans -- there is one reason he might feel right at home.

Troy Smith will be linking up once again with wide receiver Ted Ginn, one of his best friends from childhood and a favorite target throughout his playing career.

The duo played together both in high school in Cleveland and at Ohio State, and Ginn said they can't wait to get out on the field again together.

"It's great to be able to get back in tune with a guy that you've been playing with your whole life," Ginn said. "For us to go out and continue our journey that we've been [on] so far is great."

Ginn, who joined the Niners from Miami this season, said he first met Troy Smith when they were 7 years old and their families went to the same church. Back then though, their conversations didn't focus on football, but on who was going to sneak out to get some snacks.

"It was at church, and we had a McDonalds to our left, and we had a little candy store to our right," Ginn said. "And we would sneak out of the church, and either I would hold the door and he would run to McDonalds, or he would hold the door and I would run to the candy store. That's how we started off, and then we just grew from there."

Troy Smith said he isn't about to favor his old buddy if other targets are open.

"It's not just about my brother Ted Ginn, it's about the other receivers that are going to be out there also," he said. "We have tremendous playmakers everywhere, and it's my job, my duty, to get everybody the ball."
OBF1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Good god, I can't imagine this place if we lose again.

I totally agree with the Jville analogy. The 49ers play a brand of "Boring Ball," that keeps them in games. There is a good amount of talent on that team. I really don't think there are any easy wins in the NFL anymore, which is why you have to bring your A game every single week.

SF is actually near the bottom of the league at moving the ball on the ground. They don't do much better through the air. Obviously this week, the running QB will be the issue. Tough to prepare for a guy we have no tape on. But, it is what it is.

On the upside, there's no way our players/staff are looking past this game, and probably any game, from here out.
We need Dawkins out on the field, badly.
If we win, it depends HOW we win. SF are 1 & 6 and have their back up, 3rd string QB playing. If we lose, going into a bye week with a resurgent KC coming up... I can't imagine how terrible a time that will be here, but Bowlen will be deafened by combined calls for McDaniels head and Tebow to start.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #11
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Denver defense gears up for 49ers' Frank Gore
The Associated Press
Posted: 10/27/2010 01:52:42 PM PDT
Updated: 10/27/2010 01:53:05 PM PDT

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.—On a day when the last running back they faced won AFC player of the week honors for trampling all over them, the Denver Broncos tried to regroup defensively in anticipation of an even bigger challenge—containing the San Francisco 49ers' Frank Gore.

"I think he is the best running back we've faced so far," Broncos defensive coordinator Don "Wink" Martindale said Wednesday. "What he is good at is finding your mistakes."

The Broncos made plenty of them last Sunday in a 59-14 loss to the Raiders in which the newly anointed player of the week, Darren McFadden, ran for a career-best 165 yards with touchdowns of 57, 4 and 4 yards, to go with a 19-yard catch-and-run for another score. McFadden's performance was part of a Raiders rushing attack that gained 328 yards and dropped Denver's rushing defense to a No. 30 ranking. The Broncos are allowing an average of 156.6 yards per game. Only winless Buffalo (174.4)and Tampa Bay (157.7) have allowed more.

"Any time something like that happens, it's going to be a rough week if you're a competitor at all," said Martindale, whose preparations also were complicated by the team's 10-hour overseas trip later this week to play the 49ers in London on Sunday.

"We just need to be more consistent. We've shown some spurts. We've played well against some really good running backs and then that happened to us last week and I'd be sitting up here telling you a lie that I wasn't shocked that that happened to us. We're all in this together and this hurt our pride, no doubt about that, and we're making a conscious effort to being exact on every single play this week in practice."

While the 49ers have managed only one win this season and are now dealing with a quarterback change to Troy Smith because of a shoulder injury to Alex Smith, Gore has continued to bedevil defenses. Gore rushed for 102 yards in last week's 23-20 loss at Carolina—his club-record 23rd 100-yard game—and he leads the NFL with 914 yards from scrimmage (573 yards rushing, 341 yards receiving).

"He's a big part of the offense and we expect that to go up," Broncos linebacker Mario Haggan said, referring to the anticipated increased workload for Gore because of the quarterback change. "He's a very explosive runner and very underrated in this league, if you ask me. He can find holes, he catches the ball a lot out of the backfield and he definitely makes you pay for the mistakes that you make on defense."

The Broncos have had success at times defending the run, most notably limiting Tennessee's Chris Johnson to 53 yards on 19 carries in an Oct. 3 victory over the Titans. They used outside linebackers Robert Ayers and Jason Hunter to hold the edges and funnel the runs back inside, where inside linebackers Haggan and D.J. Williams typically made the tackles.

But Ayers broke his foot a week later at Baltimore and remains sidelined and the defensive line has been banged up. Strong safety Brian Dawkins, the top run defender in the secondary, also sprained his knee against Baltimore. He has missed the past two games but resumed practicing this week and indications are that he'll be available for Sunday's game. Veteran cornerback Andre Goodman, who has missed four of the last five games with a thigh injury, also is practicing this week and should be available, barring a setback.

Coach Josh McDaniels believes the return of Dawkins and Goodman will help restore some of the defensive "togetherness" critical to swarming to the ball and slowing down the run.

"The run game, the run defense is a lot of things that work well together," McDaniels said. "It's not just a single thing that you have to do right, it's everybody has to take care of their responsibility in the front so that you don't give (Gore) any opportunities to find a bunch of easy yards.

Notes: McDaniels said S Darcel McBath (ankle), LB Robert Ayers (foot), LB Wesley Woodyard (hamstring) are all out for the game. CB Perrish Cox (concussion), DL Kevin Vickerson (groin) and WR Eddie Royal did not practice for a second straight day but their game-day status has not been determined.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #12
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDagmar View Post
If we win, it depends HOW we win. SF are 1 & 6 and have their back up, 3rd string QB playing. If we lose, going into a bye week with a resurgent KC coming up... I can't imagine how terrible a time that will be here, but Bowlen will be deafened by combined calls for McDaniels head and Tebow to start.
Yea, I think a win is a win, here. Any win going into this bye week will be huge.

I'll also say that even a good effort that comes up short is going to look really bad. It won't necessarily change MY opinion on where we are as a team, globally... but it's going to fuel the fire.

Very tough spot. Both teams need this game badly.

Like last week, I think this is about us getting off to a quick start... something we've had trouble doing.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #13
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Yea, I think a win is a win, here. Any win going into this bye week will be huge.

I'll also say that even a good effort that comes up short is going to look really bad. It won't necessarily change MY opinion on where we are as a team, globally... but it's going to fuel the fire.

Very tough spot. Both teams need this game badly.

Like last week, I think this is about us getting off to a quick start... something we've had trouble doing.
Didn't they flash that stay last week, 1st q scoring was worst in the league, something ridiculously low like 7 points?
Old 10-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDagmar View Post
Didn't they flash that stay last week, 1st q scoring was worst in the league, something ridiculously low like 7 points?
Yea. McPoopyDiapers has talked about it a bunch this year. Thorn in his side, and my guess is that it's got almost everything to do with run-blocking. We have no problem passing the ball down-field. But, at some point, when you can't run on first or second down, you're setting yourself up for 3rd and longs.

Little things make such a big difference.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #15
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

I think this game is going to have a pick-up game feel to it with all the distractions and breaks from routine happening and in these types of games the pure athletes usually win.

SF has better athletes than we do, heck they have been drafting high for a decade.

This will be a tough game for Denver to win and if we do win it will be because McD came up with a brilliant game plan and the players executed it.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #16
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I think this game is going to have a pick-up game feel to it with all the distractions and breaks from routine happening and in these types of games the pure athletes usually win.

SF has better athletes than we do, heck they have been drafting high for a decade.

This will be a tough game for Denver to win and if we do win it will be because McD came up with a brilliant game plan and the players executed it.
I work with a bunch of rabid NFL fans. The smartest of which is a Chargers fan, believe it or not. His theory is that we're one of the most untalented teams in the league, but that McDaniels gets the most out of what he has to work with. I'm not sure about all that, but it does feel odd to have another seemingly talented coach who just doesn't have the right pieces to work with.

It just kills me that we couldn't have seen this team in its intended form this year. So hard to figure out what you really have when you have back-ups and guys limping strewn everywhere.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #17
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

How many times is Willis going to blitz up the middle and steal Walton's lunch?

Over/Under: 5
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #18
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
I work with a bunch of rabid NFL fans. The smartest of which is a Chargers fan, believe it or not. His theory is that we're one of the most untalented teams in the league, but that McDaniels gets the most out of what he has to work with. I'm not sure about all that, but it does feel odd to have another seemingly talented coach who just doesn't have the right pieces to work with.

It just kills me that we couldn't have seen this team in its intended form this year. So hard to figure out what you really have when you have back-ups and guys limping strewn everywhere.
One thing is for sure, this season regardless of our final record is priceless in the head coach learning curve of Josh McDaniels. The thing I like the most about Josh is he accepts responsibility for his mistakes (something Mike Shanahan never did) and then he learns very quickly from them. This is a powerful quality to have as a young head coach. This young man is going to be a great coach I sure hope it's for Denver. I think it will be.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #19
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
One thing is for sure, this season regardless of our final record is priceless in the head coach learning curve of Josh McDaniels. The thing I like the most about Josh is he accepts responsibility for his mistakes (something Mike Shanahan never did) and then he learns very quickly from them. This is a powerful quality to have as a young head coach. This young man is going to be a great coach I sure hope it's for Denver. I think it will be.
Yea, he's been blaming himself for this loss all week. That's fine, he certainly shares the burden. Still, I think it's much more complicated than that. (Talent issues, injuries, and just being side-swiped.)

I didn't blame Shanahan for not beating San Diego in that last game. I blamed him for not addressing the same needs over and over for a decade. (Essentially.)

Hopefully Josh will mature quickly as a head coach. There's a learning curve at any age. He turns 35 in April. I'm not worried about him being "too young." I'm more worried about him having too much to overcome, too quickly. Yet again, another reason I wished we could have seen his real team out there playing this season instead of what we have now.

It's all a work in progress. I expect us to bounce back this week, despite being in a tough spot.

Last edited by Popps; 10-27-2010 at 05:38 PM..
Old 10-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #20
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Honestly, how stupid and disgraceful are you?

1. Yes he did. All the time.

2. Why even bring that up unless you're trolling and trying to derail a thread about moving on and discussing football.

Get ****ed douche.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #21
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I miss Shanahan, especially the "Anytime you have a player like. . ." comments.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #22
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

Good thread. However I think a lot of people are underestimating how much their QB situation is going to limit their options. Alex Smith may not have lived up to his draft position, but he has been efficient enough this year, and has a lot of experience running that offense. Starting a young QB who has only spent a couple of months with the playbook, I don't see how they have any choice but to simplify the offense and focus on running the ball. Our defense has done a good job containing very good backs like Chris Johnson and LT - albeit with Ayers. Still, I see no reason why we can't stack the box, limit their run game, and force their QB into making some mistakes. They may make some plays too, but so can our offense.
Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #23
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

This will be a tougher game than most think and i have no idea how we'll do but I will say this, I will be sportin my gear all fuggin day and be damn proud for doin it
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #24
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Singletary said Wednesday the former Heisman Trophy winner will get his first NFL start in three years...
Wow, three years is an eternity in the NFL. Smith should be in over his head in this sitution. Here's to hoping.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #25
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Wow, three years is an eternity in the NFL. Smith should be in over his head in this sitution. Here's to hoping.
Here's to hoping they try to limit his exposure by running the football and that we have a Titans-esque defensive performance.